Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume X

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume X

The cover with Cage holding his ring jacket open does not actually exist. That was an early cover, the only one released is the one with Cage's face on it.
Old 04-21-09, 08:58 PM

Unless someone with credibility (Christian Cage, himself, say) can show me proof that this 8 match version actually exists (other than 2 or 3 prototypes, or samples, whatever) I here and now cease to believe it's existence. No pics, no proof! Isn't the "8th match" on the Angle treatment anyways? I'm a buy-all-type-of person but this is out of hand...nothing but conjecture. Dont get me started on the Trish Collector's Edition.

Back to pickups-there was a small sale going on at the TNA website, so I picked up 3 dvd's I still needed-$10 for the Abyss dvd, $12.74 for the Karen Angle version of Knock'd Up (LOL), and $10 for AJ Phenomenal Vol 2.

Put aside all the dvds differences pre-Epic 3pack, and the only 2 I'm mising are the FYE CTL1 Booker T version & the new TNA Tag Teams dvd (which is in stock at rohwrestling.com) which I'll be snagging soon.

Each year the WM release gets more disappointing. Hell each year Mania gets worse. I love DVD's, great to have such a sweet library and be able to pick and choose what I like/want to watch.
Old 04-21-09, 09:13 PM

May 5th:

TNA Home Video presents, Second To None: TNA's Toughest Tag Teams. This is an action packed two disc set of the toughest tag teams in TNA today. Legendary 21 time Tag Team Champions Team 3D hosts this epic release and will bring you some of the greatest matches TNA has ever seen. Featured in this Home Video is Team 3D, Latin American Xchange, Motor City Machineguns, Matt Morgan & Abyss, Beer Money, Inc and many more! (In stock now at ROH's store)

June 16th:

credit:rohwrestling.com store for pics.
Old 04-21-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read something about the TNA Cross the Line Vol. 2 set. Apparently, some versions have Suicide on the back over, while others have Rhino.

More importantly, the extras on the Turning Point '08 disc for both sets are different.

The one with Suicide has a photo gallery, a music video, and a backstage interview with Kurt Angle after his match, while the one with Rhino has two matches from impact: a 5-minute match between Rhino and Sting, as well as an 8-minute match between Abyss & Angle. I definitely remember Angle & Abyss wrestling before Turning Point, but have no recollection of Sting and Rhino wrestling on impact in 2008.

Can anyone confirm the different boxes, as well as the extras on the Turning Point disc?
Old 04-21-09, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by DiedLaughing
Yeah, FYE/Trans World stores have the Cross The Line 2 for $14.99.
My FYE had the Cross the Line 2 for $26.99. it was not on sale. When I questioned it the guy said that is the price and either buy it or don't. I told him to eat it.

Last edited by doctaheath78; 04-22-09 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-21-09, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Aces_High
Unless someone with credibility (Christian Cage, himself, say) can show me proof that this 8 match version actually exists (other than 2 or 3 prototypes, or samples, whatever) I here and now cease to believe it's existence. No pics, no proof! Isn't the "8th match" on the Angle treatment anyways? I'm a buy-all-type-of person but this is out of hand...nothing but conjecture. Dont get me started on the Trish Collector's Edition.

Here is some proof..............found this doing a google search.

http://www.buy.com/prod/tna-wrestlin...205585511.html

Look at the match listings and the last match listed (iMPACT!: Christian Cage vs. Rhino vs. Kurt Angle)
Old 04-21-09, 11:06 PM

I really don't think the 8 match version of Cage's DVD exists. The early, unused cover art said "8 matches" on it, but was changed to just say "His best matches" when it was released. I didn't buy my copy of the DVD until maybe 6 months after it was released, and mine only has 7 matches on it.

Does anyone actually own a copy of the DVD that includes 8 matches on it? Or was it all just a myth based on early match listings and that unused cover art?
Old 04-21-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by doctaheath78
Here is some proof..............found this doing a google search.

http://www.buy.com/prod/tna-wrestlin...205585511.html

Look at the match listings and the last match listed (iMPACT!: Christian Cage vs. Rhino vs. Kurt Angle)
Expanding a bit further...
Highspots lists 8 matches on this one.
http://www.highspots.com/product.asp...D=368&id=17950

Review here.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/...5/4630391.html
Old 04-21-09, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
The cover (which is outdated) says 8, but the listing from Highspots says 7 matches.
Old 04-22-09, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
http://www.highspots.com/product.asp...D=368&id=17950

Highspots link you put up says 7 not 8.
Old 04-22-09, 02:31 AM

Can someone who has the TNA World X Cup DVD please post which matches are on it?
Old 04-22-09, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by will94
The cover (which is outdated) says 8, but the listing from Highspots says 7 matches.
Originally Posted by doctaheath78
Highspots link you put up says 7 not 8.

D'oh! Guess my brain stopped working last night.
Old 04-22-09, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Doctor Zoidberg
Can someone who has the TNA World X Cup DVD please post which matches are on it?
It does not say the match listings on the back cover of the dvd.
Old 04-22-09, 12:29 PM

just curious, does throwback and others on here who collect everything from special editions and extra stuff collect them to watch them or just add them to a collection
if so why?are they worth lots like mlb cards or just do it to have them?
like buying a wrestlemania 4 different times just to have different cover?i dont get it

im not judging you or saying anything negative at all, just asking a question
Old 04-22-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd wager that, aside from some OOP exceptions, they're all worth about the same as MLB cards: not much.

I'm not trying to judge, however. Looking at my collection, there are a lot of wrestling DVDs I may never get to, yet I still keep buying them when they're on sale. Bit of a completist mentality that compels someone to own a complete WWF/E and TNA set. Then it becomes a case of where you draw the line.
Old 04-22-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jg352599
It does not say the match listings on the back cover of the dvd.
My thought was, that was why he asked for the match listing.
Old 04-22-09, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by chuckliddell
just curious, does throwback and others on here who collect everything from special editions and extra stuff collect them to watch them or just add them to a collection
if so why?are they worth lots like mlb cards or just do it to have them?
like buying a wrestlemania 4 different times just to have different cover?i dont get it

im not judging you or saying anything negative at all, just asking a question
Ive said this before in a prev thread volume....Honestly, in my opinion, they arent worth anything. ***They are only worth the amount that someone is willing to pay you for them. And if you never decide to part w/ them, then are they really worth anything?...Only the original price you paid for it.***

Im not judging either, cuz i am guilty of buying exclusives and alternates too, but i open all mine. And anyone who has followed my posts and pics on here knows that. I am a wrestling fan, I open them to actually watch and enjoy! What a concept!

Last edited by l8nerduke32; 04-22-09 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-22-09, 02:50 PM

so its simply a case of wanting a better collection, bragging rights

take the steelbook royal rumble, i have seen posts on here about fans traveling long ways and spending a ton of money on gas and the dvd just to get it, why not just buy the normal rumble and watch it, of course the steelbook is better looking but who cares?

example-the guy who said he visited a ton of stores and took up lots of gas money trying to find the steelbook rumble, then having to pay for it on ebay, all that money you spent on fuel and the dvd, even if the price goes up a bit in the next 25 years it won't be much more if any than the amount you paid trying to get it, so whats the point

is it simply a case of wanting it cause its "cool" and "showing off" to friends, i mean my little brother use to be the same way with pokemon cards but he was 8 years old

not trying to start trouble, just curious why?
Old 04-22-09, 02:56 PM

p.s.isnt the point of buying wrestling dvds to watch wrestling, who cares about that extra stuff, i mean isnt it kind of "nerdy" to be consumed buy stuff like that

its like star wars, its cool you like it, but some people take it to far, instead of meeting girls and having fun they spend all there time collecting stuff that doesnt matter but in there mind they build it up like it does cause they have nothing else

i know its harsh but im trying to help and telling the facts
Old 04-22-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To each their own is the best way anyone can sum it up. I personally couldn't care less about collecting alternate versions of things, especially when it's just a packaging variation. I don't understand why some people here are so anal about package condition on their dvd's that they will go to a store and inspect over 20 copies in an attempt to find "the perfect one". I don't get people who are super concerned with things like the way the spine displays, if something has inserts, etc. Whatever, though-it's not really my concern. People like what they like.

This site by its very nature is pretty "nerdy", as are most of the people who frequent the boards. That's not meant as a slam at all. It's just that people who are THAT into dvd's, collecting dvd's, and watching/discussing tv are not really what most would consider "the norm." Basically, what I am saying is that people who collect different versions of dvd's just to sit on a shelf rather than watch them, or collect different dvd's for their "cool" cases are no more or less "nerdy" than anyone else who posts here.

We're all dorks to some degree or we wouldn't be wasting our time posting here......or watching pro wrestling.....or liking Sci-Fi shows and movies.....or being real into some obscure indie band....etc. Get it?
Old 04-22-09, 04:09 PM

i get what your saying, and my comments were not directed at anyone specific but there is a big gap between these two people

-someone who buys the rey dvd and watches it and enjoys it and maybe watches it again later on
-someone who needs every little edge perfect on it, and needs all 4 covers and is consumed by little things that don't matter

were all dorks to some degree, but there are people who cross the line into "star wars beyond nerds"
Old 04-22-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't really disagree with you on that the first time around so I believe we're on the same page. I don't get it either, but I'll be damned if I'm about to try and make sense of it.
Old 04-22-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like to think that I'm sort of in the middle on the topic.

Because yes, I will inspect every single copy of a DVD to get the absolute best-looking copy there is. I still haven't purchased Cyber Sunday '08 because I've yet to find a copy that I would want on my shelf. Part of it is that once you get that DVD, that's it. That's your copy. If you are somewhat of a collector, then you want it to look nice on display.

And yes, I am very holding out for store exclusives and being somewhat of a completist. If every single store had tons of copies of the Royal Rumble steelbook, I'm not sure how much I'd want it.

However, I think there's a difference between bragging about something rare and just simply wanting it. I've seen youtube videos of guys displaying their wrestling collections and commenting "oh yeah, that's pretty rare. I got it $80, good luck trying to find it. People like that are buying the DVDs for the sake of others, not themselves.

I myself not only have NO friends that collect wrestling DVDs, but I only started seriously collecting in 2006, so there are gaping holes in my collection that I will probably never fill.

The difference, though, is that I don't slavishly purchase every DVD there is because it's distributed by TNA or WWE. I look for matches I enjoyed, matches I want to own, maybe even matches that are part of a greater storyline.

For example, the only WWF DVDs I own from 2001 are WrestleMania X-Seven and the invasion stuff. Why? Because I thought everything between, save for Shane McMahon vs. Kurt Angle, was mediocre.

The same for 2002. WrestleMania X8 was fun, that year's SummerSlam was great, but there weren't any great shows in between.

And so on.

The truth is, it's all a matter of opinion. I try to make a collection that is unique to me. It shows my individual tastes in wrestling and in ppvs. There are some greats that I've never wanted to own (No Mercy '02, Armageddon '06, for example), but if I bought everything, I'd take the excitement out of it.

The collection is for me and me alone. I look at it, I admire it, and I'm happy to call it mine.

And speaking of being a completist, I hate myself for knowing that I'm going to buy WrestleMania XXV, when I damn well know I'm only buying it for ONE match.
Old 04-22-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Nice post. I am similar to you in some regards. Even though I commented earlier about people being incredibly anal about inspecting dvd packages at the store, I am guilty of it sometimes as well. However, I usually just try do do a quick once over to make sure there are no big dings (or badly smashed corners on the cardboard boxes used for tv show sets). If the dvd I'm buying is in a standard amaray style case, the only thing I do is shake it (lightly) to make sure it hasn't come off the hub and been scratched to hell, or that the hub itself has broken off. In most cases, the first one I pick up is the one I end up buying.

What cracks me up are the people I sometimes see inspecting every single copy in the store to the point where I almost expect them to bust out a jeweler's loupe. It really reminds me of the egg inspection scene in Clerks and just smacks of obsessive compulsive behavior.
Old 04-22-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
What cracks me up are the people I sometimes see inspecting every single copy in the store to the point where I almost expect them to bust out a jeweler's loupe. It really reminds me of the egg inspection scene in Clerks and just smacks of obsessive compulsive behavior.
Haha...yeah, that's me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.