DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume X

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume X

Originally Posted by will94
- Very diverse selection of matches, Hogan, Flair, Jericho, Steiners, Rhodes, Sting, Luger, Windham, Guerrero, Malenko, DDP etc.
For a WCW DVD, I also want to read the names Nash, Hall, Jarrett, Booker, and Sid.
Old 06-13-09, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon have the Best of SmackDown! 10th Anniversary 1999-2009 (3 disc set) with a release date of Sept 15.
Could it be the other set SilverVision was talking about on their Twitter?
Old 06-13-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by md2810
Amazon have the Best of SmackDown! 10th Anniversary 1999-2009 (3 disc set) with a release date of Sept 15.
That possibly could be it. A Smackdown set would be awesome! always wanted that but they were just waiting for the right time to release it. There were some great moments and matches.

I hope they include the Iron Man match with Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar. Another match i really want to be included is the 2/3 Falls match with Edge/Mysterio vs. Benoit/Angle but sadly that won't be included along with any other Benoit match.

Maybe Walmart will have an exclusive disc featuring an entire episode (like with the RAW 15th Anniversary) either the Pilot in April 1999 or the first in August 1999.

Last edited by sg2386; 06-13-09 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-13-09, 11:04 AM
Banned

I would love if they included the Kurt Angle vs Marty Jannety match.
Old 06-13-09, 12:05 PM

That was a great match!

Vince v HHH should be on it too
Old 06-13-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are some other matches they should include:

-04/25/02 - Chris Jericho vs. Triple H - Better than their match at WM 18, and a prelude to their HIAC a month later.

-05/02/02 -Chris Jericho vs. Hulk Hogan - Hogan normally doesn't like working with smaller guys, but has consistently said that Y2J was one of his favorite opponents. A little seen "dream" match with a lot of action.

-10/23/03 - Brock Lesnar & The Big Show vs. The Undertaker - Three matches in a row, very edge-of-your-seat stuff, a nice "gem" of a match.

-06/24/04 - Before Cena was a main-eventer, he main-evented SD against The Undertaker, who played a semi-heel about to bury Paul Bearer. One of Cena's best matches, and a fantastic main event.

-01/06/05 - Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio - This is one that started their entire 2005 feud; a highly competitive opener, and a sign of things to come.

-09/09/05 - Batista vs. JBL - Texas Bullrope - Not because it's a great match (but it is fun), but because it was the first main event in Friday Night SmackDown history, and it set a bar for star-powered main-events.

-09/16/05 - After their match at SummerSlam 2005 and before their casket match at No Mercy '05, The Undertaker and Randy Orton wrestled in the second Friday Night SmackDown.

-01/13/06 - 20-Man Battle Royal - Kurt Angle wins the World Championship after Batista vacates.

-03/03/06 - Kurt Angle vs. The Undertaker - Sadly, another SD classic between these two that ended in a dq (the other being because of Brock Lesnar), but this was just as good as their NWO '06 main event.

-08/18/06 - The Undertaker vs. The Great Khali - A match originally made for SummerSlam, this was moved to SD so that they could edit the plodding Khali to an exciting match. Well, they did, and this was fast-paced, bloody fun, and the first "big man" Last Man Standing match ever.

-05/11/07 - Possibly the biggest night in SD History. Batista and Undertaker fight in a steel cage for WHC, and after the match, Mark Henry attacks UT, and Edge cashes in his MITB case to win the title. The Whole segment should be included.

-07/20/07 - First Edge vacates the title, then The Great Khali wins a 20-man battle royal to win it, then Batista and Kane fight to be number one contender. Great night. It'd be cool to see both matches.

-10/24/08 - The biggest main event in SD history: The Undertaker vs. Triple H. A match that could main-event WM, and the tear it up for almost 20 minutes. Not a great match, per-se, but a lot of fun.
Old 06-13-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW, a question for people that own it:

I was thinking about getting the 3-disc Kane DVD set, but I've heard that the way the set is packaged, that sliding the discs out of the paper automatically scratch it. My questions are: is there a way to be so careful with it that you wouldn't scratch the discs, and if there isn't, have the scratches affected the play of the DVDs. I want to get it, but it's not worth it if the discs are going to be a mess.
Old 06-13-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
BTW, a question for people that own it:

I was thinking about getting the 3-disc Kane DVD set, but I've heard that the way the set is packaged, that sliding the discs out of the paper automatically scratch it. My questions are: is there a way to be so careful with it that you wouldn't scratch the discs, and if there isn't, have the scratches affected the play of the DVDs. I want to get it, but it's not worth it if the discs are going to be a mess.
The cardboard foldout where the discs are stored is really smooth and a little thicker than the Summerslam Anthology packaging. You just have to slide the discs out really carefully. I have some faint scratches on mine but it doesn't effect the playback since i watched all 3 discs.

As for the Smackdown set another match i would want is the Smackdown Royal Rumble from 2004 which was a nice little gem with Eddie Guerrero winning. There are many possible matches and segments WWE can include.

WWE is really on a role with the DVDs this year excellent quality stuff; The Starrcade set, Best of SNME, Greatest Superstars of 90s, Randy Savage, Tag Teams, Rise and Fall of WCW and now Best of Smackdown
Old 06-13-09, 02:30 PM

to many moments from smackdown to remember but heres some that should be on the dvd

-rock/foley vs show/taker buried alive match
-show suplexing lesnar and breaking the ring
-hogan getting over 10 min standing ovation when he turned face in 2002
-first main event ever-rock vs hhh special ref hbk
-the VERY first smackdown pilot were ministry and corperation merged and took on stone cold and rock
-iron man match angle lesnar

benoit vs austin when benoit almost beat him in edmonton, but we all know that wont be on
Old 06-13-09, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by md2810
That is pretty cool, will be asking for that for my birthday since my birthday is 5 days after the release
Old 06-14-09, 04:37 AM

I can see a Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat set getting released soon.
Who do you think should be on the cover of a Smackdown! set? I think, Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, Batista, John Cena, JBL, The Rock, Edge, Brock Lesnar, Triple H and Kurt Angle (But The won't happen with him still in TNA).
Old 06-14-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by InstantKarma
That is pretty cool, will be asking for that for my birthday since my birthday is 5 days after the release
Sept 15th IS my birthday, so I think I'll ask for it myself!
Old 06-14-09, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dillkid
I can see a Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat set getting released soon.
Who do you think should be on the cover of a Smackdown! set? I think, Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, Batista, John Cena, JBL, The Rock, Edge, Brock Lesnar, Triple H and Kurt Angle (But The won't happen with him still in TNA).
Since when John has been on Smackdown? I thought John was on Raw the entire time...
Old 06-14-09, 11:30 AM

He started off on smackdown, debuted against Kurt, turned wigger with Bull BUchanan, won the US title, turned it into a horrable spinner belt, lost the belt, rapped (got over with the crowd) won the WWE title from JBL, got drafted to RAW.
Old 06-14-09, 11:43 AM
Cool New Member

The forgotten TLC match will probably not be included as obviously featuring the man that can't be named
Old 06-14-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by deto
He started off on smackdown, debuted against Kurt, turned wigger with Bull BUchanan, won the US title, turned it into a horrable spinner belt, lost the belt, rapped (got over with the crowd) won the WWE title from JBL, got drafted to RAW.
Yeah. I remember watching when he first started. At the time I only watched Smackdown. Some of his "raps" were pure gold back then.
Old 06-14-09, 01:55 PM

does anybody know savage's thoughts on this new dvd, or is there any shoots of him out there that were done recently, so many things need to be addressed
-why does vince hate you
-thoughts on hogan/hhh and other wrestlers
-miss elizabeth death
-hall of fame

does he decline cause im sure a new shoot of him would sell big
Old 06-14-09, 02:21 PM

i've heard he wants too much money to do a shoot.

i wonder how much he wants? i heard highspots paid Flair 100K+
Old 06-14-09, 03:00 PM

For Canadians:

CD Plus stores have a pretty good sale on. A lot of WWE DVDs are either 5.00 or 8.99. The 5.00 DVDs are all PPVs from 2003 to about 2008 i think. The 8.99 DVDs are:

Jake The Snake 2 Disc
ECW Bloodsport
ECW Extreme Rules
Legacy of AWA
Bloodbath: Cage Matches
Mick Foley 2 Disc
Brian Pillman Loose Cannon
etc...

There was also the first Ric Flair 3 disc for 11.99. WM 21 for 11.99 and that DX DVD set for 11.99.

I grabbed Foley, Bloodbath, Jake The Snake, and AWA. I was hoping Dusty Rhodes and WCCW would be marked down too, but they were full price.
Old 06-14-09, 03:04 PM

Also on CD Plus's website if you search WWE there's a couple items that say "WWE Koch blowout multiple titles 8.99" They say Wave 1 and Wave 2 so there must be more on the way at cheap prices.
Old 06-14-09, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by espin
For Canadians:

CD Plus stores have a pretty good sale on. A lot of WWE DVDs are either 5.00 or 8.99. The 5.00 DVDs are all PPVs from 2003 to about 2008 i think. The 8.99 DVDs are:

Jake The Snake 2 Disc
ECW Bloodsport
ECW Extreme Rules
Legacy of AWA
Bloodbath: Cage Matches
Mick Foley 2 Disc
Brian Pillman Loose Cannon
etc...

There was also the first Ric Flair 3 disc for 11.99. WM 21 for 11.99 and that DX DVD set for 11.99.

I grabbed Foley, Bloodbath, Jake The Snake, and AWA. I was hoping Dusty Rhodes and WCCW would be marked down too, but they were full price.
Canadians are so lucky! I am jealous!
Old 06-14-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by espin
Also on CD Plus's website if you search WWE there's a couple items that say "WWE Koch blowout multiple titles 8.99" They say Wave 1 and Wave 2 so there must be more on the way at cheap prices.
How do get the discounts?, when i try to add the AWA DVD it says 26.99 and the DX DVD it says 31.99.
Old 06-14-09, 05:21 PM

I don't think it's available online, I bought the items instore. There are three CD Plus locations in my city.
Old 06-15-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up TNA Slammiversary 2007 from Virgin Megastore for $12 (going out of business). I was always sort of conflicted about picking this one up, since it's a largely hit-or-miss affair. But since the good comes towards the end of the event, my feelings are more positive than negative. My review:

Rhino & Senshi vs. LAX
Two things: 1) Rhino and Senshi have ZERO chemistry as a tag team. This kind of pairing should be saved for television. 2) This match pretty much had ZERO build-up. However, each team had a heavyweight and an x division wrestler, so it was relatively even. Good opener, but story is important, too.

Chris Sabin vs. Jay Lethal
I saw these two wrestle in an independent promotion in Jersey two months before this match. It was a breathless 20+ minute affair. This is not it. After building up Lethal to win the X title for more than two months, his win kind of comes with a whimper. The action is solid, but these two needed more time.

Frank Wycheck & Jerry Lynn vs. James Storm & Ron Killings
So much wrong with this. First, Storm had stolen the show a month prior with Chris Harris in their texas death match, so he deserved much better than this. Second, he's not even wrestling a wrestler. Third, I've never even heard of Frank Wycheck. It's wrestling, not football. So, if they get "celebrities," they have to be a little more recognizable than this. Third, realizing that Storm/Wycheck would get booed out of the building, they added Lynn and Killings, despite no real story to speak of. Like the first match, this feels like a match for television. And no, Wycheck cannot wrestle, no matter how much the commentators scream over his drop-kick.

**1/4

Alex Shelly vs. Bob Backlund
After an interminable feud with Senshi (that somehow last FOUR months, Shelly is again reduced to a joke in a 3-minute affair with Bob Backlund. For his age, Backlund is in amazing shape, and clearly wrestles with energy, but Shelly deserves either an established X division star or a bigger player. People say he's the next Chris Jericho, and when he's embarassed like this, I can't disagree.

VKM vs. Basham & Damaja
Another storyline that had continued for SIX months. Finally, Christy Hemme gets a tag team to take out VKM, and the match lasts 2 1/2 minutes. Not even worthy of television.

DUD

Eric Young vs. Robert Roode
Here's another long storyline that actually had a payoff. These two have chemistry in and out of the ring, and the fact that the match had a false finish (with Roode winning) made the real ending all the more pleasurable. Normally, I wouldn't be for this kind of booking, but it made the ending a real crowd-pleasing moment. Fun match.

***1/2

Team 3D vs. Rick Steiner & Animal
We thought we were getting a dream match: Team 3D vs. The Steiners. What we got is half of two dream matches. Because Scott Steiner was injured, we see 3D against Rick Steiner and one-half of LOD. This was a real pleasure, since LOD/Dudleys is to tag-team "dream" matches what Rock/Hogan is to 1-on-1. Big heavyweight match: ugly, effective, brawling, but this shouldn't have been for the tag titles. It didn't need them.

Sting vs. Christopher Daniels
The storyline was a very good. The pairing was even better. For the first time since coming to TNA, Sting was wrestling a much less established star than he, but the pairing seemed so obvious. Both characters were athletic, gifted on the mic, had religious-themed characters, and had great chemistry. This could have stolen the show. But for whatever reason, it all culminated in one pretty good 6 1/2 minute match, and nothing else. The storyline died after this, and with it promises of Daniels as a main-eventer. A solid match, but it should have been so much more.

Abyss vs. Tomko
This match is so ugly it's good. Good big man match with great weapons spots. My one HUGE complaint is something that both Tomko and Abyss do regularly in their matches. After they take a huge hit (say, a finisher), they convulse all around to express their pain in taking the move, showing that they are aware of the action, but when their opponent pins them, they lie flat on the ground, simply letting the pin go. If you see this, you'll realize that it makes no sense whatsoever. That aside, good stuff.

***1/4

Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe vs. Christian Cage vs. AJ Styles vs. Chris Harris- KOTM Match
Yes, the KOTM match is overbooked and complicated, but this was still a great match. Christian, Styles, and Harris all work perfectly in this environment, while the two "wrestlers" bring their special talents to the game. This one has got great wrestling, great spots, a fast-paced, everything you could ask for in a main event.

****1/4

An extra feature that they don't list on the back of the DVD is the "King of the Mountain" qualifying match between Chris Harris and James Storm. I was so psyched to see this here, since this was a fantastic match, and should have been on ppv (despite the ending). The match doesn't make much sense (they brawl with weapons for ten minutes, only to be counted out), but it's riveting nonetheless.
Old 06-15-09, 01:23 PM

The new Smackdown Set kind of surprised me but should be cool. I was actually at the Pilot taping for Smackdown in New Haven, CT. It was actually originally supposed to be a Raw Taping from what I remember and then it was changed to the Smackdown Pilot which was cool to be at. Last time I saw Owen Hart live which was sad, especially since he was coming out as the Blue Blazer...

Hopefully the Smackdown Set does well. It kind of surprises me the Raw set still shows up in the top ten of sports dvd's close to a year and a half after being released..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.