Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Animated Green Lantern July 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Animated Green Lantern July 2009

Originally Posted by johnsun
Any word if WalMart will be getting a lenticular like they did for Wonder Woman and Gotham Knight?
Later
Anyone had a chance to check WalMart yet for any exclusives for Green Lantern?
Later
Old 07-28-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PrometheusUFO
Sorry, I only glanced at the Target exclusive sticker on my way to pick up the Blu-ray. Someone will probably have to buy it to find out that information, since the bonus disc didn't seem to be mentioned on the back.
Thanks, though I wasn't quite talking about the Target exclusive. Doesn't the regular Blu-Ray edition have 4 bonus episodes?
Old 07-28-09, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
Thanks, though I wasn't quite talking about the Target exclusive. Doesn't the regular Blu-Ray edition have 4 bonus episodes?
Five, actually. The first two are on the 2-disc DVD too -- "Once and Future Thing" parts 1 & 2, "Hearts and Minds" parts 1 & 2, and "The Return". They're all widescreen. The Duck Dodgers episode "The Green Loontern" is full screen however.
Old 07-28-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks!
Old 07-28-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
The movie is good, but nowhere as good as Wonder Woman.
I disagree. I was bored by Wonder Woman. This was pretty good.

If you have this, do yourself a favor and watch the preview for Batman/Superman: Public Enemies. OMG. That's going to be the best animated movie ever.
Old 07-28-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cannot wait for Batman/Superman: Public Enemies.
Old 07-28-09, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This film was pretty good despite that is a new take on how Hal Jordan got into the Green Lantern Corps and that a lot of the characters were changed radically from their comic book counterparts.

The film also reminds me of how much I miss new Justice League Unlimited episodes. So sad that the series came to an end.
Old 07-28-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
Here is a close-up pic, from the TNI Forums, of the Best Buy Exclusive Green Lantern figure.

I was almost going to go for the BB version with the exclusive figure, and then I went to take a look at one and decided it wasn't worth the extra $4 I'd pay just to get it. The thing's only about 3" tall, if that, and doesn't look all that great to begin with.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 07-28-09 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 05:33 AM

any word on what is "exclusive" about the Target 2 disc Green Lantern: First Flight?

ill pass paying $4 more at BB for a little figure.
Old 07-29-09, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Justinmilkman87
any word on what is "exclusive" about the Target 2 disc Green Lantern: First Flight?

Originally Posted by PrometheusUFO
Another Green-Ray case, woohoo!

I picked up the Blu at Target for just $22.99. Their "exclusive disc" is only with the two-disc DVD and as with the Wonder Woman DVD it was only two more animated episodes -- Justice League's "In Blackest Night" Part 1 & 2. And since I already got that series on disc, I passed on it.
Old 07-29-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Justinmilkman87

bravo!
Old 07-30-09, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up the BR Disk at Target.

Loved it! What fun to watch GL in his own movie.

The 1st set of JLU shows was in Widescreen, not sure on the 2nd set.

The Duck/Green Latern is not in widescreen, but really cool to watch - never seen it before.

Pricey, but fun to watch. Hope to watch tons of time over the years.
Old 07-30-09, 11:34 AM

I received my BluRay copy from Amazon yesterday and watched it last night.

There are differences from the established mythos as the movie cherry picks characters and events from GL's long history to essentially create a new mythology. As such you get certain anomalies like Boodika being a GL before Hal, and Sinestro going from his GL uniform straight to his Sinestro Corps outfit, but that's fine and hardly anything new. The live action movies based on Marvel and DC characters have been doing the same thing for years.

In terms of action and story, I thought this movie struck a very good balance. One of the things that turned me off to the Wonder Woman DVD was an over-reliance on action (not to mention some pretty graphic violence). On the other hand Superman: Doomsday piled on the character moments a bit too thickly making it seem like a very long 75 minutes. Here the pace moves along briskly, you get a good feel for the major characters, and the show never really slows down.

The voicework was also very good here, and I especially liked the nice touch of using classic character actors like William Schallert and Malachi Thorne to voice the Guardians of the Universe. That was a classy move on Andrea Romano's part.

As a longtime Green Lantern fan (Hal Jordan being my favorite GL) I really enjoyed this movie, and it could be my GL bias showing thru but I think this is easily the strongest of DC's direct to DVD offerings yet.
Old 07-30-09, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TonyDP
I received my BluRay copy from Amazon yesterday and watched it last night.

There are differences from the established mythos as the movie cherry picks characters and events from GL's long history to essentially create a new mythology. As such you get certain anomalies like Boodika being a GL before Hal, and Sinestro going from his GL uniform straight to his Sinestro Corps outfit, but that's fine and hardly anything new. The live action movies based on Marvel and DC characters have been doing the same thing for years.

In terms of action and story, I thought this movie struck a very good balance. One of the things that turned me off to the Wonder Woman DVD was an over-reliance on action (not to mention some pretty graphic violence). On the other hand Superman: Doomsday piled on the character moments a bit too thickly making it seem like a very long 75 minutes. Here the pace moves along briskly, you get a good feel for the major characters, and the show never really slows down.

The voicework was also very good here, and I especially liked the nice touch of using classic character actors like William Schallert and Malachi Thorne to voice the Guardians of the Universe. That was a classy move on Andrea Romano's part.

As a longtime Green Lantern fan (Hal Jordan being my favorite GL) I really enjoyed this movie, and it could be my GL bias showing thru but I think this is easily the strongest of DC's direct to DVD offerings yet.
I think the recreation of the Marvel and DC universe mythologies is what hurts all of this films and the comic industry in general. Comic book fans are fanboys, and they want what they read in the comic to be translated to the smallest detail on TV and film. At the same time, potential new customers could get turned off when they watch the films first and then try to read the comics books and they get lost because of the huge differences in the mythology.
Old 07-30-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
I think the recreation of the Marvel and DC universe mythologies is what hurts all of this films and the comic industry in general. Comic book fans are fanboys, and they want what they read in the comic to be translated to the smallest detail on TV and film. At the same time, potential new customers could get turned off when they watch the films first and then try to read the comics books and they get lost because of the huge differences in the mythology.
I think this hurts the comic industry in terms of crossover appeal (IE: comicbooks are, usually by design, very very difficult to jump into and understand). Not sure how this hurts the film/dvd offerings. If the film just catered only towards the comic book fanbase, that's a tiny minority of possible viewers.

I think in general stuff like JLU and even Brave and the Bold does a good job of integrating stuff that hardcore comic book fans love, while also being relatively easy for new viewers to understand.

Haven't watched my copy of Green Lantern yet, but I have high hopes.
Old 07-30-09, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think this hurts the comic industry in terms of crossover appeal (IE: comicbooks are, usually by design, very very difficult to jump into and understand). Not sure how this hurts the film/dvd offerings. If the film just catered only towards the comic book fanbase, that's a tiny minority of possible viewers.

I think in general stuff like JLU and even Brave and the Bold does a good job of integrating stuff that hardcore comic book fans love, while also being relatively easy for new viewers to understand.

Haven't watched my copy of Green Lantern yet, but I have high hopes.
JLU and Brave and the Bold are the exception to the rule, but almost everyhting else is just truncated, revisioninst versions of comic book mythology. JLU and B&B prove that you can cater to comic book fans while at the same time present a show for mainstream audience.

One of the reasons I haven't purchased Superman/Doomsday is because it is almost a complete different story and is not representative of the comic book. A lot of friends of mine who collected comics during the Death of Superman era were also disappointed and pissed that the film was so different from the comic. DC could have use that film to bring back a lot of old customers and instead drove them away farther.

Still, I liked the Green Lantern movie and feel that there should have been more of him than the brief cameo appearance in JLU.
Old 07-30-09, 02:23 PM

so is the duck dodgers/green lantern episode only on the target edition?
Old 07-30-09, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by chrisbluedevil
so is the duck dodgers/green lantern episode only on the target edition?
No. It was on the 2-disc I picked up at Best Buy.
Old 07-30-09, 02:51 PM

oh. . .thanks.
Old 07-30-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
JLU and Brave and the Bold are the exception to the rule, but almost everyhting else is just truncated, revisioninst versions of comic book mythology. JLU and B&B prove that you can cater to comic book fans while at the same time present a show for mainstream audience.

One of the reasons I haven't purchased Superman/Doomsday is because it is almost a complete different story and is not representative of the comic book. A lot of friends of mine who collected comics during the Death of Superman era were also disappointed and pissed that the film was so different from the comic. DC could have use that film to bring back a lot of old customers and instead drove them away farther.

Still, I liked the Green Lantern movie and feel that there should have been more of him than the brief cameo appearance in JLU.
I think at the time of JLU, Jordan wasn't GL anyway (and Stewart not only added diversity to the cast, he was better fleshed out than his comic book counterpart).

And what is often missed, probably due to the awesomeness of the Timmverse, is that JLU didn't adhere to the comic book either. Neither does Brave and the Bold. They use the characters, and bits and pieces of the history, and then put in all these nods to comic book continuity, but they are very different stories, because of the different medium and the different audience.

Take the character, don't totally butcher him, and make a good cartoon/movie, that's all I care about. So GL fan bias aside, was it good? Because there's a very unflattering review in the comic book forum...
Old 07-30-09, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Picked this up from Target. The cover had the sticker mentioning the bonus disc, but low and behold, once I got home and opened it, Nada. Just 2 discs.

Not a biggie though, I had a $5 GC and got this movie from around $13 after GC and taxes, so I can't complain.
Old 07-30-09, 09:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
So GL fan bias aside, was it good? Because there's a very unflattering review in the comic book forum...
I think is the best DC animated film outside the Timmuniverse. It is well paced, the action is really good and the story solid, but like others have said, they took some liberties regarding the characters and their origins. Is much better than both Superman animated films and a notch above the Wonder Woman and New Frontier films.
Old 07-31-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Picked this up from Target. The cover had the sticker mentioning the bonus disc, but low and behold, once I got home and opened it, Nada. Just 2 discs.

Not a biggie though, I had a $5 GC and got this movie from around $13 after GC and taxes, so I can't complain.
i think the sticker doesnt refer to a bonus disk, but rather bonus content (two episodes of justice league or something?). i believe the bonus content is included on one of the disks. hope that helps
Old 07-31-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cross post from the comic forum:

Spoiler:
I like a movie that focuses on one character, but apparently all we need to know about Hal Jordan is that he's a test pilot, and he's a daredevil. That's all we learn about him before he becomes a Green Lantern. In fact, that's all we ever learn about him throughout this movie. And people wonder why this guy was killed off.

So he gets the Green lantern ring, and right away all anyone wants to do is take it away from him. So how the hell did he end up with it in the first place? does the ring automatically get passed along to the next worthy successor, like in the comics, or does it just go back to the guardians? does the dying predecessor just pick someone at random? doesn't that seem a little foolish since every time one of these guys dies, they green lanterns have to show up and make sure they didn't just hand an incredibly powerful weapon to a total psycho?

So they have the obligatory "heroes get into a huge fight for no reason and it ends for no reason". They drag him back to Oa where the Guardians continue to grill him, telling him that they regularly give people rings that they only intend to take away because they don't think they're fit to wield it. Right.

Then the Guardians talk about how humans would naturally be unfit to wield the ring, even though everyone else in the corps are aliens that act like humans anyway. Wow, it's no wonder all these guys got killed off...

So it turns out Sinestro is a traitor, and with a name like that, you'd never guess. They could have easily changed the name of his character so he didn't sound like such a douche. He strikes a deal with the Weaponers of Qward, whom we never really learn much about. But judging by how they talk, they must be evil. Then he gets a giant blimp that lets him rob the powers of the Green Lanterns.

If there's one good thing to come out of this movie, at least Sinestro was fleshed out a little bit better than most villains are. His motivations aren't pure evil or destruction for the sake of destruction. In fact, it's the exact opposite: he wants absolute control of the universe, one free of chaos and destruction. He mocks the Guardians for their misuse of their power, denigrating the role of the Green Lanterns.

Okay, so his plan to take over involves robbing the Green Lanterns of their power. And considering how they fight (standing there firing energy bolts at him, or coming up behind him and TRYING TO PUNCH HIM), they really deserve to lose. So the Lanterns and the Guardians accede to Sinestro, which basically really amounts to nothing, and didn't matter anyway because he defeated them. And considering how badly they fought when they had the rings on, without them it would be a futile battle.

Then Hal absorbs all the energy in the power battery... because... because can. You know, if Sinestro wanted all the power of the Green Lanterns for himself, why the hell didn't he just do this? why did he have to concoct this intricate plot when he could have just waltzed into the power battery and stolen all the energy? oh well. I guess if this thing was going to make sense, it wouldn't be a movie.

But that's not the worst part. There's just no substance to this movie. Anyone who hasn't read the comics wouldn't care about these characters, because they're all so two-dimensional. There's nothing much here for a comic audience either, since it's just a retread of stuff that happened in the comics. I can't even say it's a movie for kids, because some parts aren't really appropriate for younger audiences.

All in all... this movie sucked. It reminds me why comic movies have such a hard time getting off the ground. They start with a fanboy script and end up with a vehicle to sell toys, comics, games, and more tie-ins.
Old 07-31-09, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya

I was confused about this at first, as the sticker does say "Exclusive Bonus Disc Includes..." but that apparently is to be read as "Exclusive version of Disc 2 Includes," as the extra JLU episodes are on there with the other episodes.

I find it strange that they didn't include the Superman: The Animated Series "In Brightest Day" episode, although that one was essentially the Hal story being applied to Kyle Rayner.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.