Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I need help/advice with slimming down my DVD collection!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I need help/advice with slimming down my DVD collection!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: I need help/advice with slimming down my DVD collection!

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I stopped buying DVDs blindly about two years ago because my DVD collection had gotten out of control (3,000+ titles). Since about a year ago, the entire collection has been in storage. In that time, I realized that I just don't need THAT many DVDs, so this weekend I starting pulling the boxes out and bringing them home to weed through.

When I started I was excited that I'd be reducing so much clutter, but as I went through each box, I found myself just staring at them, unable to really decide on what to get rid of.

So those of you who've done this... what makes you decide what movies to keep and which ones you can do without? I have a definite pile of movies that are my absolute favorites that I'll watch over and over again. Those are no brainer keepers. But then, for example, I get to a movie like Malice... a movie I really, really dug when I saw it and wanted to own, but haven't watched since that initial viewing.

So, advice anyone? I know there are some obvious solutions, but I'd just like to hear from some others who've gone through this process at some point...
I've never succumbed to rampant blind buys, but I did buy discs for titles that I was only mildly interested in because of a good price and figured, "at that price even if I watch it once, it is slightly more than a rental".

In addition to putting most of my collection in binders, I went through those titles that I was "iffy" about, watched them, and then gave them away. It was a lot easier to get rid of titles after I immediately watched them.
Old 04-06-09, 04:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer
In addition to putting most of my collection in binders, I went through those titles that I was "iffy" about, watched them, and then gave them away. It was a lot easier to get rid of titles after I immediately watched them.
I'm doing something like this too. I am slowly going thru my unwatched collection, averaging 1 per day for the last year almost. As I find clunkers I put them in the "to sell or give away" pile.
Old 04-07-09, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imho, while you are a collector, dont give them up!

if you are not a collector, are no longer a collector, or no longer want to be a collector and are serious about it, make the tough choices. get rid of anything and everything you can. period. just do it. dont look back. keep it simple stupid. sayonara. yada yada.

good luck
Old 04-07-09, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Money seems to be a good motivator too, lol...

I was listing titles on Half.com over the weekend as I pulled them out of boxes, and last night I checked to see how they were doing. I'd already sold $300 worth! Well, that was all the motivation I needed to dive back into the boxes I'd already gone through. Not surprisingly, I found quite a few more discs I was willing to part with.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, keep them coming! This seems like it would be a useful thread to many of us...
Old 04-07-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I would say get rid of all of it... If its been sitting in storage for a year now, you obviously dont really have any use/need/want for it so I would sell it all.
Ditto.
Old 04-07-09, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I talked to some lady that goes to people's homes to help clean and organize their stuff. People always say they need to keep something but never use it. We all have that stuff.

What she does is take that stuff, put it in a box, and place it in the attic or garage. If they don't open the box for 6 months then you take the box, without opening it, and just get rid of it. You don't open it because then they'll see the stuff and "need" it all over again.

Since you've had the stuff for a year without touching it, the easiest way to get rid of them would be to let someone you know, and that would have a decent idea of how to sell them, to go take the stuff and sell it for you so you don't need to see it and start needing it all over again.
I had to move from California to New Mexico and at the time I had over 200 DVDs, mainly TV Shows. I knew we were on a tight budget when it came to moving. There were just so many boxes we could fit to move me. So I went to this place in the mall. I think it was a Suncoast but they gave me money for the used DVDs that I had. I cashed in on all my DVDs and only kept a few. I had enough from them to pay off a credit card but now I wish I had kept every last one of them because now I have to buy it all back. I had over 200 DVDs but now I only have about 30 and I have to rebuild again.

Last edited by PHMustang2000; 04-07-09 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-07-09, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
That gives me an idea.

My mom has a player, but no movies. I might give her a small bookcase and a couple hundred of my double dips and what not. Things I want to save, but don't need immediate access to. More space for me, instant classic library for her.
Like the blu-ray Disney titles that have that extra DVD. I usually just give her the extra DVD Disc but she always replies with "Is that all you buy is Disney Movies"

I am like no I buy others too.

I usually buy movies that I like but down the road if there is nothing on TV and my family wants to watch a movie, I could just drag them to my collection and we can pick a movie to watch.
Old 04-07-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000
I wish I had kept every last one of them because now I have to buy it all back.
That's why I don't sell any of my stuff anymore unless it's a dupe. I did it enough as a kid with games and music and then having to buy the stuff again. Complete waste of money.

If I buy stuff now, it's because I know I want, and I'll watch it a few times, or it's stuff that I want to watch but can't find for rent and possibly go OOP quickly and go up to a price I wouldn't want to pay.

How else could I reacquire a fine title such as Glue Sniffin' Hillbillies or Devil Doll From Hell? Those aren't something easily picked up at your local video store.

For something like an action movie, it's easier to either just rent it or wait a couple months and buy it for cheaper than a rental from Best Buy and then just give it away to a friend knowing you can always borrow it later on.
Old 04-07-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I stopped buying DVDs blindly about two years ago because my DVD collection had gotten out of control (3,000+ titles). Since about a year ago, the entire collection has been in storage. In that time, I realized that I just don't need THAT many DVDs, so this weekend I starting pulling the boxes out and bringing them home to weed through.

When I started I was excited that I'd be reducing so much clutter, but as I went through each box, I found myself just staring at them, unable to really decide on what to get rid of.

So those of you who've done this... what makes you decide what movies to keep and which ones you can do without? I have a definite pile of movies that are my absolute favorites that I'll watch over and over again. Those are no brainer keepers. But then, for example, I get to a movie like Malice... a movie I really, really dug when I saw it and wanted to own, but haven't watched since that initial viewing.

So, advice anyone? I know there are some obvious solutions, but I'd just like to hear from some others who've gone through this process at some point...
Keep the movies, toss the cases they are in. In other words, slim down your movie collection...without slimming down your movie count.

If you could keep your entire 3K+ movies in a 5ft wide and 7ft high shelving unit, would you keep those movies still? So, is it a space issue or are you irritated with the movies you don't watch.
Old 04-07-09, 11:43 PM
Cool New Member

Two things...

First i manage a video store, DONT RENT!!! With blockbuster probibly going under and movie gallery/hollywood video being one of the only options now to rent one title on average in the US is 4-5dollars. on top of that, you are spending money on gas, not to mention if you are one day late add on another 4-5 dollars. Just on what you would spend for one rental you could buy the movie on amazon or a really good deal found on here and put it in a dvd binder or even those cd/dvd spools and keep it forever so just incase your not spending even more to rent it again 15 years down the road.

With that said, I am having a tough time believeing that if you are a true movie collector you only watch a movie once???? i have seen most movies 2-5 times that i own, even the movies i hate and wish i didnt own like lord of the rings trilogy and Elf. I just had a baby so i know i will want to show her the movies again someday, so there is at least one more time. I advise finding new fun ways to approach your collection, give it life and start watching every movie again and dont skip over one just because you have seen it a million times. i posted this in another thread but my wife and i put letters on a piece of paper and pull them out of a hat and watch that entire row of movies/tv shows.

If you really want to slim down your collection think about why, if size then throw away cases and put in sleeves, if its because you are giving up on film then give them to friends your loseing so much money selling them that its kind of like walking around asking people to grab your wallet and not only take money from you but also steal away an old friend from my past. or give them to a school, our schools need some good movies i mean how many times can the kids watch remember the titans and hotel rawanda over and over again in class. haha.
Old 04-07-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

First thing i did when weeding out my collection was removing all tv shows that were full frame. Secondly, I removed all movies that were full frame or non anamorphic. Of course I still wanted to be able to watch them if I wanted to, so I "stored" them on one of my hard drives and got rid of all the discs.
Old 04-08-09, 02:49 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by orangerunner
My rule of thumb about weeding out DVDs that I no longer want is easy;

It's the TV channel flipping test. It doesn't apply to all films necessarily but it's a good barometer of what you really like and what you're neutral about.

I ask myself, if I were watching TV and just flipping aimlessly through the channels and come across a film that I have in my collection, would I stop flipping and watch the movie or continue flipping & find something else to watch?

If I stop and watch it, it's something I will want to hang onto.

If it's a movie I can't even be bothered to take glance at, even though it's so easy to just stop flipping channels, I can do without it.

If I can't be bothered to watch it while flipping channels, I'll be even less inclined to turn on my DVD player and plug in the disc.
This is a good one and is definitely something that goes through my head from time to time as I'm flipping through the channels.
Old 04-08-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
First thing i did when weeding out my collection was removing all tv shows that were full frame. Secondly, I removed all movies that were full frame or non anamorphic. Of course I still wanted to be able to watch them if I wanted to, so I "stored" them on one of my hard drives and got rid of all the discs.
Just curious why you picked that particular aspect ratio to remove. I can think of a couple of movies and tv shows that are in full frame, that I would never part with.
Old 04-08-09, 12:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Just curious why you picked that particular aspect ratio to remove. I can think of a couple of movies and tv shows that are in full frame, that I would never part with.
I didnt part with all of them. I did keep Oz, Tales from the Crypt, and Dream On which are favs of mine. However, I had many TV shows from the 70's and 80's which I did not think were worth keeping.
Old 04-08-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I get the urge to slim down the collection I look and see what movies don't fit. There are lots of movies that I own that are completely different whether it be tone or whatever, but if something feels out of place I will get rid of it. If I look and say, "why do I own that?" I rid myslef of it.

Speaking of...
Old 04-08-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I didnt part with all of them. I did keep Oz, Tales from the Crypt, and Dream On which are favs of mine. However, I had many TV shows from the 70's and 80's which I did not think were worth keeping.
But did you part with the ones you parted with because you didnt like the shows/movies or because they happened to be shot full frame?
Old 04-08-09, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Store the cases in a box in the attic but don't throw them away. The cases and inserts are needed if you ever want to sell a title.
Old 04-09-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bsmith
Store the cases in a box in the attic but don't throw them away. The cases and inserts are needed if you ever want to sell a title.
That's what I did for the exact reason. Honestly, I dont see myself selling anything, but I like to have that option.
Old 04-09-09, 02:53 PM

I don't have an attic.
Old 04-09-09, 03:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by man*machine
I don't have an attic.
Everyone has a friend or family member with a basement or attic though.
Old 04-10-09, 03:45 PM

Personaly, I tend to sell TV show sets... for instance I just sold most of my Two and A Half Men DVD's because I'd already been sucked into watching all the episodes so many times in reruns... Whereas, a TV show like Spin City... yeah I watched the dvd set but I found myself not being interested in it enough to keep track of the storyline or of which episodes I'd already watched.
So I would go ahead and get rid of any movies that you're either sick to death of... and/or movies that you really feel no personal connection to.
Old 04-10-09, 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=orangerunner;9372077]My rule of thumb about weeding out DVDs that I no longer want is easy;

It's the TV channel flipping test. It doesn't apply to all films necessarily but it's a good barometer of what you really like and what you're neutral about.

I ask myself, if I were watching TV and just flipping aimlessly through the channels and come across a film that I have in my collection, would I stop flipping and watch the movie or continue flipping & find something else to watch?

If I stop and watch it, it's something I will want to hang onto.

QUOTE]

You're so right. I diden't even think of that when replying to the original author's post.
Old 04-14-09, 03:16 PM

Don't give in!
Old 04-14-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Demonmoon68
With that said, I am having a tough time believeing that if you are a true movie collector you only watch a movie once???? i have seen most movies 2-5 times that i own, even the movies i hate and wish i didnt own like lord of the rings trilogy and Elf.