DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Star Wars orginal Lucas work print - Target exclusive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/552738-star-wars-orginal-lucas-work-print-target-exclusive.html)

slop101 04-02-09 03:12 PM

Star Wars orginal Lucas work print - Target exclusive

Does anyone know anything about this?

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9618/61670276.jpg

Is it an April Fools joke?
This is the first I've heard of it.

Maxflier 04-02-09 03:34 PM

Re: Star Wars orginal Lucas work print - Target exclusive

I can't imagine THAT flying in under the radar. Has to be a belated April Fool's joke.
I'm damn sure going to check Target, though :lol:

slop101 04-02-09 03:38 PM

After some more checking around, it definitely is an April Fools joke.

Sorry.

Mods, feel free to lock.

Kory 04-02-09 03:42 PM

That's quite the elaborate April Fools joke. Looks very real.

The Valeyard 04-02-09 03:52 PM

I'd buy it.

canaryfarmer 04-02-09 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9365397)
After some more checking around, it definitely is an April Fools joke.

Nothing slips past you! We were really concerned there for a moment!

Cactus Jack 04-02-09 04:03 PM

That Photoshop doesn't look too real, imo.

lee_hero 04-02-09 04:53 PM

Damn April Fool's Day.

I would be all over that.

SethDLH 04-02-09 04:56 PM

would have been making a trip to target to get it...

will94 04-02-09 05:47 PM

That's a pretty bad photoshop job to be honest. You can clearly tell it's a fraud just by looking at the Star Wars logo.

calhoun07 04-02-09 06:26 PM

At a glance it gets somebody going though.

Snowmaker 04-02-09 06:30 PM

It probably wouldn't be anamorphic anyway.

Disc-Flipper 04-02-09 07:36 PM

I actually started searching on eBay for this!

calhoun07 04-02-09 07:47 PM

The fact that the cut actually exists didn't really help either...I've been hoping it would show up on a DVD as a bonus feature at some point. That is, if this is the black and white work cut that the Star Wars magazine had an article about several years ago.

Solid Snake 04-02-09 07:48 PM

I'd be going crazy to see an anamorphic SW...plus...wtf does a workprint of SW mean? No sfx and whatnot?

Uph...nvm ^ this guy answered it.

MTRodaba2468 04-02-09 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 9365389)
I can't imagine THAT flying in under the radar. Has to be a belated April Fool's joke.
I'm damn sure going to check Target, though :lol:

That's precisely what I thought (before the joke was confirmed). There's no possible chance that would end up flying under the radar.

calhoun07 04-02-09 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468 (Post 9366089)
That's precisely what I thought (before the joke was confirmed). There's no possible chance that would end up flying under the radar.

Shoot, Howard the Duck got more attention.

I know I saw an article about this cut in the official Star Wars magazine several years ago...I believe around the time they were releasing the special editions back to the theaters in the late 90's. Strangely, nothing comes up on Google...I guess I am not searching for the right terms.

I didn't save the issue (I don't think...it would take forever for me to find it if I did have it stored a way in a box somewhere) but does anybody know of the issue? I guess the tone of the movie was quite different.

edit: IMDB mentions the black and white cut...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/alternateversions

In 1977, "Ken Films" released a pair of truncated versions for the 8mm home movie market. One version is in black and white and is silent; an other has color and is silent. The longest color and sound version has 17 minutes running time. There are also two further color and sound versions existing: one with 8 minutes and one with 4 minutes. The English company "Derran" released a complete version of STAR WARS on 750 meters polyester Super-8 in Cinemascope & Dolby Stereo (etemated 50 - 100 copies).
How the hell is it that we haven't seen bootleg copies of this surface? Granted, the Ken Films release was truncated, but still...

And there is this...

David West Reynolds, an employee with Industrial Light and Magic discovered a forgotten print of Star Wars which was edited before the addition of special effects, and contained a large number of differences, and had deteriorated all the way to black & white. This lost cut includes more long panning shots of the desert and a new scene in Mos Eisley where a small alien runs and hides from a large Alien in an alleyway; the aforementioned Cantina scene is also from this edit. All the landspeeder, Millenium Falcon, and cockpit shots were done with real time projections of special effects. They were deemed inferior to the blue screen tests, so they were discarded. The running time of this rough edit was 2 hours and 30 minutes.
This is what I thought the joke post was referring to, and this is what I am referring to that I saw in the Star Wars magazine.

Dan Average 04-03-09 09:32 AM

The 8mm versions aren't workprints. Up until the early '80s it was not uncommon for films to be issued in 8mm after their initial theatrical run, usually in heavily truncated versions labeled as "selected scenes" (I own a few of these myself, although not for SW). There's no reason to think they contain extra or alternate footage. I've never seen or heard anything about a circulating ANH workprint in any format.

CertifiedTHX 04-03-09 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Average (Post 9366641)
The 8mm versions aren't workprints. Up until the early '80s it was not uncommon for films to be issued in 8mm after their initial theatrical run, usually in heavily truncated versions labeled as "selected scenes" (I own a few of these myself, although not for SW). There's no reason to think they contain extra or alternate footage. I've never seen or heard anything about a circulating ANH workprint in any format.

Unless it's just an urban legend, Lucas has been quoted as saying that there exists enough footage to edit together an entirely different cut of A New Hope. So different, was my impression, that it would hold almost no similarity to the released version. I saw either the quote or a reference to the quote years ago.

--THX

calhoun07 04-03-09 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Average (Post 9366641)

You're right...not sure why I included the information about it. I guess I was thinking it was taken from the footage Reynolds discovered, which I was thinking of as the work cut, but I don't think that's the case.