DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Noticing more single layer DVDs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/552578-noticing-more-single-layer-dvds.html)

orangerunner 03-31-09 12:17 PM

Noticing more single layer DVDs?

With so many different versions of movies coming out now at different price ranges, I have noticed many of the single disc versions of movies which have a two-disc counterpart are now single layer discs rather than dual-layer.

My daughter rented High School Musical 3 (the single disc version) and it was single-sided, single layer. I suppose the lesser quality of Disney kids flicks will go unnoticed by the majority of its viewers.

I've seen this trend in local electronic stores where if you want the better version of the DVD, you have to buy the 2 disc set (dual layer feature disc) for $28.99 or the single disc (lower bit-rate single layer disc) for $19.99.

I see they've marketed the plain, little extras version Blu-Ray in between at $24.95.

rwp2084 03-31-09 12:37 PM

Re: Noticing more single layer DVDs?

This looks like a disturbing trend. I often times prefer to buy single disc versions since I like to watch the main feature much more than the extras.

hindolio 04-01-09 12:55 AM

i just figured that all new dvds were dual-layer nowadays ug.

rw2516 04-01-09 05:28 AM

Most new releases have so many features, languages and crap at the beginning that the actual film has the same compression as if it was by itself on a single layer.

Fok 04-02-09 02:13 AM

I feel kinda robbed knowing that the movie itself is single layer quality

matome 04-02-09 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 9361607)
Most new releases have so many features, languages and crap at the beginning that the actual film has the same compression as if it was by itself on a single layer.

Yep, even with dual layer DVD's nowadays the amount of space taken up by extras and particularly the multitude of previews definitely affects the compression of the main feature. A quick look at the breakdown of space allotment of newer titles will show the main feature barely getting half the space of a dual layer disc. Even worse if everything is relegated to a single layer one.

Alan Smithee 04-03-09 06:22 AM

High School Musical 3 is dual-layer- I bought the single-disc version because I wanted the theatrical cut- the Blu-Ray and the "deluxe" DVD are the 'extended' cut.

Ralph Jenkins 04-03-09 07:17 AM

On the recent DVD releases of Synedoche, New York and Rachel Getting Married, the main feature was under 4 GB (which would fit on a single layer disc) while the rest of the space on the dual layer disc was taken up with extras and previews. I guess they figure most people won't notice the difference.

Alan Smithee 04-03-09 07:27 AM

Early on, only movies running over 2 hours used dual-layer discs. They've since become the standard, but I haven't checked how much space most movies actually take up. Obviously they should use the highest bitrate possible.

Peep 04-03-09 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins (Post 9366438)
On the recent DVD releases of Synedoche, New York and Rachel Getting Married, the main feature was under 4 GB (which would fit on a single layer disc) while the rest of the space on the dual layer disc was taken up with extras and previews. I guess they figure most people won't notice the difference.

Ouch!