DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Taken: 2 Disc Extended Cut DVD & BD

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 05:35 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Re: Taken: 2 Disc Extended Cut DVD & BD

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
When it says seamlessly branched for the extended cut, i take it we get both versions? Wish it had more from Neeson in teh way of a commentary as well. Glad to see he is doing Clash of the Titans next... cant wait for that one.
i thought seamless branching just meant a new version all together (theatrical plus new/extended scenes spliced into movie without interruption) and that would be the only one included.
Old 04-22-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
i thought seamless branching just meant a new version all together (theatrical plus new/extended scenes spliced into movie without interruption) and that would be the only one included.
I'm not sure what the confusion is, but seamless branching means that the DVD contains the theatrical version of the movie, and the scenes that are different in the unrated, and whenever two scenes are present, depending on which version you chose to watch, it branches off to one or the other of the versions available.
Old 04-22-09, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I'm not sure what the confusion is, but seamless branching means that the DVD contains the theatrical version of the movie, and the scenes that are different in the unrated, and whenever two scenes are present, depending on which version you chose to watch, it branches off to one or the other of the versions available.
huh? i thought you don't notice when the theatrical adds the new scenes at all. it is just a different version of the film, the theatrical with added scenes that are seamlessly branched so you don't notice when a new scene is presented.

therefore when you have a DVD that has an extended cut of the film with seamless branching, that is the only version of the film present. meaning you don't have two options, one to choose theatrical and one to choose the extended cut ala "Sex Drive" Unrated. i thought seamless branch is like "Leon: The Professional".

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-22-09 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-22-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seamless Branching means you have 2 options.
Old 04-22-09, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds
what are some example DVD's?
Old 04-22-09, 05:29 PM
crs

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Seamless branching is not limited to 2 different cuts. The 3rd DVD of the Blade Runner set has 3 different cuts using seamless branching.

And some DVDs use seamless branching to alter certain scenes (f.ex. localizing the movie title or on-screen text) according to the language preferences set in your player, with no menu options on the DVD to alter it.
Old 04-22-09, 05:43 PM

what is the DVD of "Ray" considered? Because i saw this long ago and when the theatrical cut to the new scenes it was very jarring and disconcerting.
Old 04-22-09, 05:51 PM
crs

what is the DVD of "Ray" considered? Because i saw this long ago and when the theatrical cut to the new scenes it was very jarring and disconcerting.
AFAIK, Ray uses seamless branching for the theatrical/extended cut, but it is authored in a peculiar way, there's cues before added material. Perhaps to alert you of the new material.

But seamless branching is usually not visible at all and should go completely unnoticed.

It's used for other purposes as well, like if a DVD has parental control. You've probably watched DVDs with seamless branching and never known it was in use.
Old 04-22-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

isnt blade runner Seamless branching. On the final cut collection one disc has the 3 different versions and when you choose one its selects the scenes for that one.
Old 04-22-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The Alien films from the Alien Quadrilogy were all seamless branching and is honestly, one of the best examples out there, especially with Aliens which featured numerous small changes in addition to large scene additions.
Old 04-22-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

huh? i thought you don't notice when the theatrical adds the new scenes at all. it is just a different version of the film, the theatrical with added scenes that are seamlessly branched so you don't notice when a new scene is presented. i thought seamless branch is like "Leon: The Professional".
As everyone else has said, you shouldn't notice. Basically it's the difference between encoding the whole movie twice or cutting the movie up into chunks and creating a branch between the different versions. A disc like Terminator 2 uses seamless branching. Obviously, the movie isn't on the disc 3 times: the theatrical version is there, plus any additional/alternate scenes in the other two versions, and depending on which version you choose, the player drops the right scene in.

Leon: The Professional is not branched because the theatrical version is not present on the DVD, just the director's cut.
Old 04-23-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what are some example DVD's?
Just like Cameron's Aliens and T2, The Abyss disc also has both versions there via seamless branching.
Old 04-23-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Ray" is perhaps the worst, most jarring example of "seamless" branching I've ever seen.