DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DOBERMANN dvd!!!!!Greatest French action movie available w/English subs & ANAMORPHIC! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/552269-dobermann-dvd-greatest-french-action-movie-available-w-english-subs-anamorphic.html)

toddly6666 03-25-09 08:21 PM

DOBERMANN dvd!!!!!Greatest French action movie available w/English subs & ANAMORPHIC!

http://www.web-libre.org/medias/affi...ee4acf4f66.jpg

For years and years, this DVD has not been available as Anamorphic and with English subtitles. And it's finally here - Russian company Amalgama has re-released this film, NTSC, Region-Free, with English subtitles this time and re-mastered anamorphic video...I'll do a DVD review of the film as soon as I get it and do a comparison to the previous Russian version (which didn't have English subtitles, but was anamorphic, and with DD 5.1/DTS French audio)

I can confirm that the DVD is anamorphic, Dolby Digital 5.1 French, and English subtitles! Finally, we can throw away the crappy UK and HK DVD versions..it's sold here at: http://www.artpopdvd.com/DVD/48602.aspx

For anyone who doesn't know about this film, it's the greatest live-action cartoon violent French movies ever! It's awesome and an easy blind buy. It also feels so short because it moves along so fast and is so entertaining. This is the one French film that I can watch over and over the most. A lot of people think that Gary Oldman from The Professional is one of the scariest villains of the 90s. Wait til you see Tchéky Karyo playing a bad cop - definitely one of his scariest roles. Did I mention that Vincent Cassell, Monica Bellucci, and Romain Duris are in the film?

Here's the trailer for people that don't know of this violent masterpiece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of7I7c9zwJM

tylergfoster 03-25-09 08:30 PM

Re: DOBERMANN dvd!!!!!Greatest French action movie available now with English subs

Personally, I'm waiting for a better translation of Wasabi, hopefully for Blu-Ray, with the various extras that were included on foreign DVDs.

toddly6666 03-25-09 09:12 PM

Re: DOBERMANN dvd!!!!!Greatest French action movie available now with English subs

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 9349528)
Personally, I'm waiting for a better translation of Wasabi, hopefully for Blu-Ray, with the various extras that were included on foreign DVDs.

Have you seen Dobermann though?

pro-bassoonist 03-25-09 11:23 PM

Re: DOBERMANN dvd!!!!!Greatest French action movie available w/English subs & ANAMORP

I responded to your query elsewhere, Toddly - I seriously doubt it the Russian distribs have the right to include English subtitles. This being said, I hope they simply copied the old Universal disc (I will be covering the Blu-ray disc only).

Pro-B

Rypro 525 03-25-09 11:32 PM

Re: DOBERMANN dvd!!!!!Greatest French action movie available w/English subs & ANAMORP

thanks dude, i have heard of this flick for years, but have never gotten around to it. Placed an order for it

tylergfoster 03-26-09 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 9349645)
Have you seen Dobermann though?

I haven't, but I watched the preview and thought of Wasabi. I like the cast though.

Solid Snake 03-26-09 12:38 AM

Since..I think it was toddly that told me about this...I saw the trailer after you told me..and goddamn. Cassel....kicking ass. I love it. Oh wait..Amazon doesn't have it up...so is this ever seriously going to be released properly in the USA?

toddly6666 03-26-09 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9349945)
Since..I think it was toddly that told me about this...I saw the trailer after you told me..and goddamn. Cassel....kicking ass. I love it. Oh wait..Amazon doesn't have it up...so is this ever seriously going to be released properly in the USA?

More than a decade has past, so I doubt it.

I've only triple-dipped on very few DVDs in my collection: Battle Royale, Army of Darkness, and now Dobermann!

pro-bassoonist 03-26-09 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 9349923)
I haven't, but I watched the preview and thought of Wasabi. I like the cast though.

You must be speaking of a different Wasabi then as there isn't much of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iESNg7kJtMY&NR=1

...in it. ;)

Pro-B

toddly6666 03-26-09 02:36 AM

Here's the front DVD cover:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...rL._SS500_.jpg

Rypro 525 03-26-09 03:06 AM

Lets hope that the site is right and it does indeed have english subtitles, and its not just a typo.

toddly6666 03-26-09 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 9350024)
Lets hope that the site is right and it does indeed have english subtitles, and its not just a typo.

I already contacted the site, and they confirmed that it definitely has English subtitles as well as a menu in English. The only extra is the trailer...

Brian T 03-26-09 04:33 PM

I saw this in a theatre years ago and found it well-made but more than a bit pretentious, so I'm not sure I can second a blind buy. Definitely worth seeing, but . . .

benjsimpson 03-26-09 05:17 PM

Great news indeed

A friend showed this to me unsubtitled, and to be honest it barely mattered! Definitely one to turn the sound up and have a few friends over for with a couple of beers! It reminds me of watching early releases of Studio Ghibli films before they were subtitled...still good fun. This film is all action, and the dialogue is definitely secondary.

That said I will definitely be keen to check it out with a bit more comprehension of what is going on.

nice find

SLASHFACE 03-26-09 06:16 PM

I just spend a week translating the subs into english and adding them to the R2 version! Probably wont buy another copy unless it gets released R1.

Solid Snake 03-26-09 07:41 PM

JESUS....you actually did subtitles...wow. That's passion right there...I think.

toddly6666 03-28-09 02:37 PM

I received the DVD today and reviewed it here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...ni-review.html

I hope DVDtalk staff gets a hold of this DVD as well to review!

RyoHazuki 03-28-09 04:03 PM

Damn I just bought a bootleg of this like two weeks ago.

toddly6666 03-28-09 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki (Post 9355065)
Damn I just bought a bootleg of this like two weeks ago.

throw that one away!!...how was that bootleg anyway? haha

toddly6666 04-09-09 09:05 AM

Here's sort of a mini-review at Twitchfilm of the DVD: http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/jan-...-a-decent-dvd/

slop101 04-09-09 11:02 AM

I really hated this movie.

Solid Snake 04-09-09 01:11 PM

I'd like to hear a rebuttal from Toddly....

Brian T 04-09-09 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9378518)
I really hated this movie.

Balance is good with a movie like this! :lol:

I didn't hate it, as mentioned above, but I found it extremely pretentious and shallow (at the same time!) when I first saw it years ago, and that was loooong before the minor cult following that has popped up around it.

toddly6666 04-09-09 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9378822)
I'd like to hear a rebuttal from Toddly....

Let's just say... for a Double Feature Day, I would pair DOBERMANN with HOWARD'S END...;) Two entertaining, pretentious movies at the opposite spectrum...It's funny using the word "pretentious" about any kind of French film, because that's how I see the majority of French flicks! haha...As long as they are entertaining, I got nothing against pretentious flicks...For example, Les Témoins was the most recent awful pretentious, shallow, boring French film I've ever seen. That movie needed more action and violence!;)

slop101 04-09-09 04:30 PM

I would never call Dobermann "pretentious" (a lot of people throw that word around inappropriately). I found it to be both dumb and boring. One or the other is fine; if it were dumb but exciting, or boring but smart I wouldn't have a problem (and it certainly wasn't smart and exciting, though I never expected it to be) - but it failed on both fronts.

Brian T 04-09-09 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 9379065)
It's funny using the word "pretentious" about any kind of French film, because that's how I see the majority of French flicks! haha...As long as they are entertaining

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9379330)
I would never call Dobermann "pretentious" (a lot of people throw that word around inappropriately). I found it to be both dumb and boring. One or the other is fine; if it were dumb but exciting, or boring but smart I wouldn't have a problem (and it certainly wasn't smart and exciting, though I never expected it to be) - but it failed on both fronts.

I will always think of DOBERMANN as pretentious, and I'm not throwing the word around inappropriately. Nor do I use it because the film is French. It really is how I feel about it. I do agree that the film is, for the most part, dumb and, in many parts, rather boring (though not enough of either for me to outright hate it), but to me it absolutely felt--and looked!!--as if the filmmakers thought they were crafting the be-all and end-all of oh-so-painfully uber-hip and nihilistic "hard-ass" action pictures, which it largely isn't. Their pretensions are all over the film, and thus I found it pretentious.

I did say above, though, that it's worth seeing, but maybe not owning. But it's all up to the individual I guess.

France's film industry, to the French certainly, probably has no higher rate of pretentious films than any other country, but its cinema does indeed suffer a lot of unfair labels, often applied from abroad, simply because it's French. That's unfair. But DOBERMANN is pretentious.

toddly6666 04-09-09 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 9379602)
I will always think of DOBERMANN as pretentious, and I'm not throwing the word around inappropriately. Nor do I use it because the film is French. It really is how I feel about it. I do agree that the film is, for the most part, dumb and, in many parts, rather boring (though not enough of either for me to outright hate it), but to me it absolutely felt--and looked!!--as if the filmmakers thought they were crafting the be-all and end-all of oh-so-painfully uber-hip and nihilistic "hard-ass" action pictures, which it largely isn't. Their pretensions are all over the film, and thus I found it pretentious.

I did say above, though, that it's worth seeing, but maybe not owning. But it's all up to the individual I guess.

France's film industry, to the French certainly, probably has no higher rate of pretentious films than any other country, but its cinema does indeed suffer a lot of unfair labels, often applied from abroad, simply because it's French. That's unfair. But DOBERMANN is pretentious.

Don't forget that Dobermann came out in 1997. To get some perspective about action movies of that time period, here are some other popular action movies of 1997:
Air Force One, Con Air, Batman & Robin, Face Off, Black Mask, Conspiracy Theory, Most Wanted, Fire Down Below, Speed 2, Turbulence, Volcano, The Saint, The Peacemaker, Metro, Mean Guns, Double Team, Mortal Kombat 2, Men In Black, Tomorrow Never Dies, George of the Jungle, Dante's Peak, Spawn, The Jackel, Starship Troopers, Alien Resurrection, The Devil's Own, Money Talks, The Relic, The Postman, Kull The Conqueror, Steel

Overall, these action movies are forgettable, bottom-of-the-bargain bin DVDs that you would find in Best Buy or Blockbuster Video and the typical types of films found in a generic DVD collection (guilty as charged with Con Air, Face Off, and Starship Troopers ;) ).

The only memorable, respectable, and original action movie of that time from the above list is probably Face Off. I remember it being that one unique action movie of the year. People were chattering about Face Off as people did in 1999 when Matrix came out...Now I didn't see Dobermann for the first time until 2002, which was 6 years later after release date, and I was amazed watching it. And even now, 12 years later, i'm still amazed with the movie. Dobermann is basically just a good European action movie of that time period, especially if you are the type of person sick of the action movie directors addiction to CGI effects and CGI sets...It's fine if you don't like it, but just remember what else was out there at the time...

SLASHFACE 04-10-09 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 9379806)
\ People were chattering about Face Off as people did in 1999 when Matrix came out...

Yeah...that never happened.

pro-bassoonist 04-10-09 01:44 AM

Dobermann is basically just a good European action movie of that time period...

Actually, it is extremely bad, to the point of being somewhat interesting. It is a parody after all, a dark comedy of sorts - which the US censors did not get - not an action film per se.

Pro-B

toddly6666 04-10-09 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SLASHFACE (Post 9380015)
Yeah...that never happened.

You don't remember that time? Well at least where I lived (in NYC), when Face Off came out, there was tons of word of mouth and how it was like a original action Hollywood film that successfully integrated Hong Kong style filmmmaking (beacause of Woo)...And then a couple years later, Matrix took hold of the mantle as being the best Hollywood Asian-influenced action movie.

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist (Post 9380065)
Actually, it is extremely bad, to the point of being somewhat interesting. It is a parody after all, a dark comedy of sorts - which the US censors did not get - not an action film per se.

Pro-B

That's why I like this film. It can be interpreted any way you want - as either a cliched action movie, or as a parody dark comedy poking fun at the genre...I look at as if i'm watching a live-action cartoon. There was a recent Japanese animated film, DEAD LEAVES, which reminded me of Dobermann - just straight-out-wacky over-the top ultra-violence...

tylergfoster 04-10-09 02:11 PM

To get some perspective about action movies of that time period, here are some other popular action movies of 1997: George of the Jungle

Nothing says action like George of the Jungle.

lordzeppelin 04-11-09 12:30 PM

So mine showed up today...I've been waiting to see this film for a decade. Can't wait to watch it.

And I look at it this way...I could give two fucks if it is licensed or not. There are certain films, such as this and Hiroyuki Nakano's Stereo Future, that will never see the light of day as a proper NA release. I wouldn't go out and buy an unlicensed WALL*E or a new release that is readily available in the USA or elsewhere with English subs in this case. However, in some cases, I can say that I've exhausted all means of obtaining a morally right release or whatever, and I just want to see the damn movie.

suoregnad 03-31-11 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9379330)

I'm french so I can understand this movie, and it's a good movie.. I don't know how it can be boring. Maybe dumb if you don't like this kind of movies.
All the characters are good, and goods actors, and Bellucci so hot..

manicsounds 03-31-11 09:10 AM

Wow, what's with new members and old thread resurrections? In any case, the UK is releasing "Dobermann" again, sadly on DVD only with no extras next month on April 25th 2011.

amazon link

toddly6666 03-31-11 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds (Post 10703506)
Wow, what's with new members and old thread resurrections? In any case, the UK is releasing "Dobermann" again, sadly on DVD only with no extras next month on April 25th 2011.

amazon link

What would be better is an English-subtitled blu-ray of this film already. I'll purchase the new UK DVD to see if they stole my English subtitles that I created for the Russian DVD.