Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

WBshop offering rare films on DVD

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: WBshop offering rare films on DVD

...and still no "No Time For Sergeants"...
Old 03-23-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WISDOM! finally!!!!! i'll hold off ordering until a couple reviews come in....

Studio: Warner Bros.
Screen Aspect: 16 X 9 FULL FRAME
Packaging Type: Amaray Case

what the hell is 16x9 full frame?

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 03-23-09 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-23-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are quite a few unreleased Cary Grant films, which is very cool. But I won't be buying DVD-Rs. Maybe WB will release another Cary grant box with these lesser-known works.
Old 03-23-09, 09:21 AM

The Wall Street Journal featured an article about this today (3/23/09):

Time Warner Taps Film Archive
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123775656542907583.html
Old 03-23-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking at some of the videos, it looks like these are unrestored. So, for twenty bucks, thanks but no thanks.
Old 03-23-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gcbma
The Wall Street Journal featured an article about this today (3/23/09):

Time Warner Taps Film Archive
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123775656542907583.html
USA Today has an article about these discs also.
Sorry, I don't have the link.
Old 03-23-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
WISDOM! finally!!!!! i'll hold off ordering until a couple reviews come in....

Studio: Warner Bros.
Screen Aspect: 16 X 9 FULL FRAME
Packaging Type: Amaray Case

what the hell is 16x9 full frame?
Probably where the image is 1:78 with side bars as part of the picture. Can't be stretched. Anchor Bay has done this.

A friend read the USA Today article and told me WB is doing this because they can't get stores to stock catalog titles. Eventually every film in their library will be available as burn on demand.

I wonder if we'll see catalog title releases from the major studios just dry up altogether. If titles already on DVD start going out of print, moving to burn on demand, wonder what effect will have the value of the originally released pressed copies.
Old 03-23-09, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rw2516
Probably where the image is 1:78 with side bars as part of the picture. Can't be stretched. Anchor Bay has done this.

A friend read the USA Today article and told me WB is doing this because they can't get stores to stock catalog titles. Eventually every film in their library will be available as burn on demand.

I wonder if we'll see catalog title releases from the major studios just dry up altogether. If titles already on DVD start going out of print, moving to burn on demand, wonder what effect will have the value of the originally released pressed copies.
You're still going to see major catalog releases get pushed out to the various vendors. I don't care what kind of website Warner has, they'll never be able to push as many copies of title X as they can by going the traditional distribution route. Also, their website won't ship outside the U.S., so all those sales disappear as well. It would take a couple of years and some monster sales for Warner to conclude that this should become a primary distribution channel. Now, for the iffy stuff that they've already digitized, this makes perfect sense to convert that effort into some dollars.
Old 03-23-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the USA Today article:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...terstitialskip
Old 03-23-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Eventually every film in their library will be available as burn on demand.
As I commented earlier, if this means WS versions of titles like Frantic, Funny Farm, Grumpy Old Men, Fearless, etc....I'd be happy.
Old 03-23-09, 04:22 PM

At least WHV is trying to find a way to get niche titles out to collectors. If this is what it takes for it to be feasible, I'm OK with it.
Old 03-23-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this is a fantastic idea. I really hope they start adding more titles from the 60's and 70's, especially horror. Since most of these would probably be released with only a trailer, if that, I don't mind not having any bonus features. As long as anything I order is OAR, I'm fine with it.
Old 03-23-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Warner Home Video is going to have an online chat tonight at Home Theater Forum and they will announce some new titles. Article in the NY Post and WHV Head honcho George Feltenstein, some of what he said:

http://blogs.nypost.com/movies/archi...rner_webs.html

He was particularly happy to recently discover a good widescreen transfer of Budd Boetticher's much-requested "Westbound,'' his only Randolph Scott western not available on DVD. George said that two of my most wanted titles, Michael Curtiz' "Mission to Moscow'' and Wilhelm Dieterle's "The Last Flight,'' will "probably'' be available next year. Hooray! ("Portnoy's Complaint'' is coming too).

The titles in the Warner Archive program are burned rathan than pressed like WHV's regular discs, but George says tests show these discs, burned with a oropietary technology, "are as durable and playable as pressed discs. They're not like discs you burn on your home computer.''
Old 03-23-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if this means I can get Police Academy 3 & 4 and Spies Like Us in OAR finally.
Old 03-23-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul1957
He was particularly happy to recently discover a good widescreen transfer of Budd Boetticher's much-requested "Westbound,'' his only Randolph Scott western not available on DVD.
In the meantime, Netflix has it as an instant view here.
Old 03-23-09, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Paul1957
The titles in the Warner Archive program are burned rathan than pressed like WHV's regular discs, but George says tests show these discs, burned with a oropietary technology, "are as durable and playable as pressed discs. They're not like discs you burn on your home computer.''
Interesting. I'd like to here more about that. I still don't know why they can't press these discs. Small print runs shouldn't be that expensive -- and they're charging $20 and skipping the middleman.
Old 03-23-09, 08:31 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They are simply grossly overpriced. I hope at some point they'll be available for rental. The whole process of price cuts through the marketplace that happen for other dvds may never come for these.
Old 03-23-09, 09:07 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I cannot wait until someone here bites the bullet and orders one or another site does a review. I'm curious as to the packaging. I know the USA Today article said they'll be the same cases in store but who knows how cheap it will all look.

I'm also curious as we all are about the transfers. I wonder if longer films will be dual-layered DVDs or if these are all single layered?
Old 03-23-09, 09:22 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They should do a program like film movement where they automatically send you one a month and have a price of 9.99 a month or better.
Old 03-23-09, 09:47 PM

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/chat/warner09.txt

Transcript of tonight's chat with Warner. They provide official answers to many questions raised here concerning the Archive.
Old 03-23-09, 11:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipid
I cannot wait until someone here bites the bullet and orders one or another site does a review. I'm curious as to the packaging. I know the USA Today article said they'll be the same cases in store but who knows how cheap it will all look.

I'm also curious as we all are about the transfers. I wonder if longer films will be dual-layered DVDs or if these are all single layered?
The bullet has been bit: I have no self control, ordered 5 titles. When I saw "Voices" I let out an audible gasp. I've been wanting that movie on DVD forever. I'll try to post some answers for you when they arrive (unless somebody beats me to it).
Old 03-23-09, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by g
They are simply grossly overpriced. I hope at some point they'll be available for rental. The whole process of price cuts through the marketplace that happen for other dvds may never come for these.
Similar bare bones catalogue titles from the major distributors come out with street prices from $10-15 (and sale prices often in the $5-10 range), so I can't see paying $20 for any of these, especially if the quality is iffy and they haven't made any effort to restore or clean up the picture. I have over 2000 titles on DVD already so it's not like I have to see any of these movies.

I would think that Netflix would buy up a few of these individual titles to make them available for what demand there is. If so, I'd think about getting the bottom level Netflix membership to be able to see the titles I wanted. I know you won't see them at Blockbuster or other B&M rental stores.
Old 03-24-09, 12:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This burning-on-demand DVD-Rs is an ugly trend in my book. I will not support it.
Old 03-24-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I read the USA Today article and I think they're rushing into this, to eliminate the legitimizing of the bootleg market, which was mentioned a couple of times in the article. Even if they are DVD-Rs, fans can't cry and say "I bootlegged them because Warner isn't selling them," now.
Old 03-24-09, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I read that you could also download these titles from the site and burn your own disc at a reduced price ($14.99)?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.