Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

WBshop offering rare films on DVD

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: WBshop offering rare films on DVD

I about shit myself when I saw Steel listed on there. I got my copy today, and it looks great! I had to order a new copy of Captain Sindbad though. I bought it back in November, but they sent me a bad copy and I didn't realize it at the time. DD has it for $15 right, so I went that route.
Old 06-10-10, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rw2516
Now they are remastering highly requested titles and selling them for 24.95. Two On A Guillotine becomes available 6/22. Still burned.
Great, increase the price of already overpriced DVDr's...way to go Warner.
Old 06-10-10, 09:12 PM

I just noticed something today. TCM showed 'Captain Nemo and the Underwater City' last week, so I DVR'ed the TCM HD airing. I own the WB Archive DVD and decided to compare them. As expected, the DVD has less detail and appears 'softer', but there are two odd items. 1) The color on the DVD is not as vivid as the HD, but the brightness is greater than the TCM HD recording. 2) The area occupied by the black bars (it's a 2.35:1 AR film, disc is 16x9 enhanced) is noticeably greater on the HD airing than the DVD, and the HD airing has more image on the sides of the frame. When I double checked on my backup DVD player, it showed the same color and framing, but I was able to zoom out and saw the missing image. But again it was missing from the 'standard' framing encoded on the disc, being somewhere between 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. According to WB Shop, this film, like many others in the archive, was not 'restored'. Would WB make two 'masters' for SD and HD use? Could WB have an old video master that would produce a pretty decent HD pic? FYI, DVD was played on a Sony BDP-N460 & Philips DVP-5992, HD was from U-Verse, all connected to the same Sony Bravia via HDMI, no inputs has modified picture settings.
Old 06-10-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive noticed that TCM does make the black bar space a little more, and more image does appear on the screen, but if you have one of those newer LCD tv's that doesn't have a problem with overscan, the TCM HD version may have very tiny black bars on the side of your tv
Old 06-10-10, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
Great, increase the price of already overpriced DVDr's...way to go Warner.
The solution is simple... don't buy them. If people don't buy them at $25, Warner will eventually put them on sale.

But what always happens is that people complain and moan and whine and bitch and cuss about how Warner is gouging them but then decide they just have to shell out the money for If Looks Could Kill or Doc Savage or Steel or whatever.

I've got about 20 Warner Archive titles and I've waited for sales and combined them with coupons to get a good deal, all under $10.
Old 06-11-10, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
The solution is simple... don't buy them. If people don't buy them at $25, Warner will eventually put them on sale.

But what always happens is that people complain and moan and whine and bitch and cuss about how Warner is gouging them but then decide they just have to shell out the money for If Looks Could Kill or Doc Savage or Steel or whatever.

I've got about 20 Warner Archive titles and I've waited for sales and combined them with coupons to get a good deal, all under $10.
I also only purchase items on sale. This price increase probably means no more sub-$10 sales, since 50% off will only take the price to $12.50-ish. So, no matter how you look at it, they are still overpriced.
Old 06-11-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
I also only purchase items on sale. This price increase probably means no more sub-$10 sales, since 50% off will only take the price to $12.50-ish. So, no matter how you look at it, they are still overpriced.
The 24.99 price is only for the titles they remaster. Everything else still 19.95
Old 06-15-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

15 new titles added.
Old 06-15-10, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
If those are the actual covers, they look really cool.
Old 06-15-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, WB has wisely ditched (or at least shrunk) the massive ugly banner at the top.
Old 06-17-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

damn, gonna have to spurge for "Two on a Guillotine"
Old 06-18-10, 04:18 PM

I'm debating whether to get "Flight Of Dragons", as I have fond memories of it when I was younger. At Amazon, it's $15.99, but I have concerns about the quality of these. Anyone out there receive this title yet?

Scott
Old 09-23-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Green Slime, The Power, War of the Planets, Wild Wild Planet, Pretty Maids all in a Row, Return to Salem's Lot! Saw this ad in the new SciFi magazine 25% discount code SCIFI25 good till 11/30/10

Photobucket
Old 09-23-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Any news about The Learning Tree coming out? I really want this movie and it seems like Warner Archive might be the only way I could get it
Old 09-23-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
Any news about The Learning Tree coming out? I really want this movie and it seems like Warner Archive might be the only way I could get it
It's a shame because the movie deserves a SE and Warner squandered the chance to involve Parks in the bonus features before he passed away.
Old 09-23-10, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the code, Paul. Got THE GREEN SLIME for $20 and change.
Old 09-25-10, 11:52 AM

Hmmm. Count me as one of those that hated this MOD dvd-r stuff. However, seeing Thundarr, Flight of Dragons and 25% off has kind of pushed me in the other direction. I'd rather see these released in stores, but I'd sure like to retire my "un-official" releases as well.
Old 09-25-10, 12:38 PM
Cool New Member

great info, thanks!
Old 09-25-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know when "The Fourth Protocol" will be out on dvd?
I heard over the summer it would be available but all they have listed in a WMP download. No thanks.
Old 11-02-10, 12:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by old-boo-radley
If anyone is interested in The Green Slime, here is a review. I'm interested in checking this one out myself because I remember back in the day Walmart used to have the VHS cheap, but I never got it. Judging from the vibrant colors and scope style, I'm glad I didn't because it probably wouldn't have done even a film like Slime justice.
It was on TCM a month or so back, glad I recorded/copied it then. Didn't even realize that there was no pressed DVD.
Old 11-02-10, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
It was on TCM a month or so back, glad I recorded/copied it then. Didn't even realize that there was no pressed DVD.
There is one from Japan. Unfortunately no english or subs.
Old 11-02-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
There is one from Japan. Unfortunately no english or subs.
Never seen it but read about it, the Japanese version is a different cut of the film. The love triangle story line was filmed especially for the english language version. I believe the Japanese laserdisc was the Japanese version. There use to be vhs bootlegs of the laserdisc all over the place.
Old 11-03-10, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I recorded GREEN SLIME off TCM a year or two back and- as I recall- it wasn't even letter-boxed.

Still alot of fun.
Old 11-17-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just received an email with a bunch of new DVD-Rs from the Archive including :

THE OUTFIT (1973) REMASTERED in WIDESCREEN (1.85) Robert Duvall plays an ex-con who goes up against The Outfit in an updated throwback to 40s and 50s film noir. The ex-con, his girlfriend (Karen Black) and his partner (Joe Don Baker) avenge the murder of his brother by cutting down an LA mob's operations bit by violent bit. Genre fans will recognize veterans such as Robert Ryan, Jane Greer, Marie Windsor, Timothy Carey Elisha Cook and a cameo by longtime Variety columnist Army Archerd.

Also these box sets which are also available individually :

FIVE FILMS STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK VALUE-PAK
A tough dame from Brooklyn, Barbara Stanwyck was a multitalented performer and a Hollywood legend. Five of her classic films are available in this set for $59.85
• THE SECRET BRIDE (1934) Stanwyck plays a woman who possesses beauty, diamonds, furs - and a secret: She's married to the DA who is trying to prosecute her father for bribery. Also starring Warren William (Perry Mason series) and Glenda Farrell (Torchy Blane series.)
• THE WOMAN IN RED (1935) A professional equestrienne (Stanwyck) marries into society, much to the dismay of her snobbish in-laws.
• CRY WOLF (1947) A recent widow visits her husband's family where she confronts locked laboratories, cries in the night, and her unexpected feelings for her husband's dark, controlling uncle (Errol Flynn).
• B.F.'S DAUGHTER (1948) Stanwyck plays an heiress married to a left-wing professor who disdains her fortune. When her husband meets professional ruin, she uses her money to secretly buy him a career.
• THE MAN WITH A CLOAK (1951) In 1848 New York, a spirited demoiselle (Stanwyck) is determined to save her fiancé's grandfather from his malevolent - and possibly homicidal - servants. Also starring Joseph Cotton, Leslie Caron and Louis Calhern.
These films are also available individually.

FOUR FILMS STARRING ERROL FLYNN VALUE-PAK
Known for his romantic swashbuckler roles, Errol Flynn also starred in romantic comedies and a variety of dramatic parts. This four film set is available for $47.88

• GREEN LIGHT (1937) A surgeon (Flynn) takes the fall when his esteemed mentor makes a fatal mistake in the operating room. Based on the novel by Lloyd C. Douglas (Magnificent Obsession and The Robe.)
• FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK (1941) An investment counselor (Flynn) who moonlights as a detective novelist, stumbles on a real murder case that threatens his careers, his marriage - and his life. Also starring Brenda Marshall (The Sea Hawk) and Ralph Bellamy (Ellery Queen.)
• NEVER SAY GOODBYE (1946) In this romantic comedy, little Phillippa tries to get her separated dad (Errol Flynn) and mom (Eleanor Parker) to love each other again. Little does she know, they never stopped.
• THAT FORSYTE WOMAN (1949) One of Flynn's favorite roles was playing the cold, unloving, villainous husband to Greer Garson as his suffocating Victorian wife. Also starring Robert Young and Walter Pidgeon.
Old 11-17-10, 05:04 PM

Still no The Learning Tree I want this so bad in widescreen

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.