Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Why DVD's Better Than Blu-ray" (IGN.DVD article.)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Why DVD's Better Than Blu-ray" (IGN.DVD article.)

Old 03-20-09, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Why DVD's Better Than Blu-ray" (IGN.DVD article.)

Features like this are funny. Surely we know this is not the general consensus of the entire IGN staff. If it were, they wouldn't even bother reviewing Blu-ray Discs in the first place. This is just them explaining to Joe Six-Pack that a step up in quality is not everything it's cracked up to be.

And since the majority of BDs they review were courtesy of the studio, the bullet points about BDs costing so much is a non sequitur.

I can just imagine someone on their staff, who has a Blu-ray player, is assigned a BD to review. Does he just roll his eyes and say, "Well, if it must be done," like it was some kind of chore?
Old 03-20-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

meh - the next (current?) format war isn't between dvd and blu-ray, but between physical media and downloads. And while there will always be a market catering to collectors, the winning format will always be the more convenient one.

Last edited by slop101; 03-20-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-20-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The article does make some valid points, but it's forgetting that the major reason anyone is buying Blu-ray is for the fantastic picture quality. The article can't say "picture quality aside, here are the reasons why DVD is still better" because the picture quality is exactly why it's better. I'm a packaging nerd, so I do get that arguement. Blu-ray does need to start matching DVDs when they get sweet packaging. Other than that I think it's the best investment I've made for my home theater. I didn't spend $2K on a top of the line HDTV to watch upconverted DVDs on it.
Old 03-20-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist

As to the actual article...the fact that the author did not even have the guts to reveal his name should tell you a lot.
It's done by their editorial team, which you can easily look up.
But tell us which of the article's objective facts are wrong, so we can have an actual discussion - otherwise, you're just pissing in the punch.
Old 03-20-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Still to suggest that an upconverted picture looks better than a hd-dvd/blu-ray is pretty ludicrous.
Who suggested that? They were just saying that an upconverted picture looks better than a standard 480 picture, and for a lot of people, that's enough.
Old 03-20-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

That article was a good read. Some valid points, but nothing really new. These are all the same points that have been brought up before, and arent going away anytime soon. Unfortunately this thread is going to turn into a blue ray vs dvd war, yet again. With one side offering anecdotal evidence about their discs, and the other discounting the anecdotal evidence, then offering their own as evidnece. It's a vicious circle.
Old 03-20-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Who suggested that? They were just saying that an upconverted picture looks better than a standard 480 picture, and for a lot of people, that's enough.
Originally Posted by An4h0ny
Honestly I have seen upconverted standard DVDs look better than Blu-Ray discs before. It's a case by case basis, sure, but that's just been my experience.
Old 03-20-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
See below:

Say what you will about upconverting but it works great for me and looks fantastic. Honestly I have seen upconverted standard DVDs look better than Blu-Ray discs before. It's a case by case basis, sure, but that's just been my experience.
I dont find it hard to believe that on certain setups with certain movies the dvd appears better than the blue ray. Anthony says he has seen it, and I certainly cant disprove it.
Old 03-20-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

I saw it was an IGN article and didnt even bother reading. Like I need them to tell me anything.
Old 03-20-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
To survive what? What other upcoming format do you see? Downloads?

DVD still holding?

As to the actual article...the fact that the author did not even have the guts to reveal his name should tell you a lot.

Pro-B

Yup, DVD should hold tight for many more years to come. If anything, I hate how consumers aren't given full disclosure when they buy Blu-ray, which only makes them hate the format more later.

I love Blu-ray, and full understand it. I have all the equipment needed to take full advantage. Most of the general public doesn't, and doesn't care.
Old 03-20-09, 12:11 PM

I have 2 HDTVs in my house and 2 blu ray players. But I watch way more standard def DVDs. Mainly because of the amount of content available and price. DVDs are cheap, easy to get, and look good on my TVs. When Blu Rays get down to 10 bucks each then I'll start buying more. Right now I stick to getting stuff like Iron Man on Blu Ray or Batman. I mean do you really need 50 first dates on Blu Ray? Its pretty ridiculous. Sleeping Beauty on Blu Ray, thats awesome. But Space Buddies? Give me a break.
Old 03-20-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's available on Blu-ray, I'll buy it. If not, I'll get the DVD instead. I refuse to purchase for owning purposes a movie over iTunes or PSN or what have you. Takes up tons of hard drive space and it's crappy quality compared to Blu.
Old 03-20-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool

I dont find it hard to believe that on certain setups with certain movies the dvd appears better than the blue ray. Anthony says he has seen it, and I certainly cant disprove it.
The only kind of setup where an upconverted dvd looks close to a hi-def disc is one with a non hdtv and composite cables.
Old 03-20-09, 12:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Try this:

1. Find a quality image that is 1920×1080.
2. Resize it to 720x480 using the best image software you can find.
3. Resize THAT image back up to 1920x1080 -- again, use the best imaging software you can.

Now, try and tell me that the image in #1 and the image in #3 look the same.
Old 03-20-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

The only kind of setup where an upconverted dvd looks close to a hi-def disc is one with a non hdtv and composite cables.
Perhaps in your experience. Do you honestly think that there is a significant difference in image quality between the BD and SD versions of "28 Days Later" and "Heavy Metal"? (just 2 examples that I picked at random)

An4h0ny correctly qualified his statement with "case by case" basis.

Originally Posted by Groucho
Try this:

1. Find a quality image that is 1920×1080.
2. Resize it to 720x480 using the best image software you can find.
3. Resize THAT image back up to 1920x1080 -- again, use the best imaging software you can.

Now, try and tell me that the image in #1 and the image in #3 look the same.
That test would have merit if we are talking about observing a static image where the detail can be examined and re-examined. But with motion, we don't have that luxury of critically examining each frame.

Last edited by sracer; 03-20-09 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-20-09, 02:35 PM

I have to agree with the image quality idea wherein the value doesn't necessarily feel worth it.

Owning HD DVD, I definitely had "wow" moments when viewing films like Hot Fuzz and Children of Men, but I've actually been more impressed with a lot of the DVDs I've seen recently than I am with a good portion of my HD DVD collection (mediocre-looking titles like The Game). I'm not saying that these DVDs look better than a Blu-ray counterpart would, just that many are nicely done.

When the wallet is excavated for an audio/video overhaul, though, Blu-ray is a natural upgrade.
Old 03-20-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watch nothing but Blu-rays but I agree with the article.

If it ever comes down to DVDs vs. Blu-ray vs. Downloads, Blu-ray will be the first to lose.
Old 03-20-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a Blu-ray guy now but I don't see anything particularly wrong about the article. Those are all definitely reasons for people to not move on to Blu-ray, and who's to say what price is worth it for someone else?

Personally, I think Blu-ray looks absolutely fantastic over DVD, and the difference is easily noticeable and worth the cost.
Old 03-20-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In your opinion. Have you looked at all the possible home theater setups? all the blue rays vs their DVD counterparts? I'm just curious what qualifies you to make that statement, and why should we take that as fact, and not Anthony's statement.
Old 03-20-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I compared and realized the difference was SO small that it was negligible on my 55" HDTV. I've never looked at a Blu-Ray version of a film and been blown away or even moved to remark on the difference in quality. In my humble opinion, upconverted DVDs look incredible (at least on my TV) and are so close in quality to BD as to make the extra cost unreasonable.
I don't understand arguments like this. Even if this is what you have to tell yourself, b/c it just simply isn't the case, the PQ is like night & day in the difference, it's just silly to claim it is not, even the above article, arguing in the diffence of DVD, admits that the Blu-Ray image is superior. Your TV is either not outputting 1080 or calibrated to hell if you can't notice a significant difference. That aside, the audio quality is simply not debatable on the upgrade you get with TrueHD & Blu-Ray. I love film, & the audio is every bit as important as the image. The full experience on Blu-Ray is absolutely worth the money for a film fanatic like myself. I understand that there are peopel that will always hang on to the old & comforting, & don't want to actually spend the money on going Blu, despite that they still drop money on DVDs left & right, but can we please stop with the "DVD image is just as good as Blu-Ray, there is barely a difference" nonsense, b/c this is literally proven not to be true.
Old 03-20-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
In your opinion. Have you looked at all the possible home theater setups? all the blue rays vs their DVD counterparts? I'm just curious what qualifies you to make that statement, and why should we take that as fact, and not Anthony's statement.
What home theater setup out there would actually favor a dvd over an hd-dvd/blu-ray? If you have an HDTV and a decent surround sound system , the picture and sound of a hi-def disc will blow the dvd away. Plus the bigger the tv, the more apparent it is how bad the dvd quality is compared to hi-def. I understand that some people feel the need to bash hi-def since they think it devalues their dvds or something. But just because you don't "see the difference" doesn't mean it's not there.
Old 03-20-09, 04:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

But just because you don't "see the difference" doesn't mean it's not there.
From that person's perspective, yes it does. If they can't see a difference (or more likely, they can't see a difference without a side by side comparison)then there is no difference in their mind. Which is all that matters to them.

Right now I fall into the "DVD is good enough category". Especially, since most of the content I am currently interested in is only out in DVD and would be too expensive if currently released in BR (seasons of older TV shows).

I would never argue that DVD upconverted is as good as BR but based on pricing I would rather have more content that I am interested in as DVD then less content (due to price and availability) in BR.

For the record, I bought a 4K projector setup to watch DVDs. I'm sure I will get to BR in time and will buy must have titles in that format over the cheaper DVDs, but not quite yet.
Old 03-20-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

The only kind of setup where an upconverted dvd looks close to a hi-def disc is one with a non hdtv and composite cables

My TV upconverts the signal anyways so a standard dvd does not look awful when you watch it
Old 03-20-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What home theater setup out there would actually favor a dvd over an hd-dvd/blu-ray? If you have an HDTV and a decent surround sound system , the picture and sound of a hi-def disc will blow the dvd away. Plus the bigger the tv, the more apparent it is how bad the dvd quality is compared to hi-def. I understand that some people feel the need to bash hi-def since they think it devalues their dvds or something. But just because you don't "see the difference" doesn't mean it's not there.
That was my question to you. Have you tried all possible setups to know that there isnt one that will display dvd better than blue ray?

I never said whether I could see a difference or not. That isnt the point. The point made originally, by another poster, is that he doesnt see a difference worth the cost of going blue.

And if one cant see a difference, does it matter if it is there or not? Why would someone spend money on something that they arent going to see a difference in?
Old 03-20-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I suppose it would depend on the source elements but a movie encoded at 25gb(or whatever) on blu would have to look better than the standard dvd counterpart compressed down to 9gb. It just seems like a basic law of science or something. I have not seen blu-ray but find it difficult to believe that it is not superior to standard dvd whether a person can notice it or not.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.