DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   G.I. Joe - A Real American Hero: Season 1, Part 1 - 7/21/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/551837-g-i-joe-real-american-hero-season-1-part-1-7-21-09-a.html)

Quack 03-18-09 01:26 PM

G.I. Joe - A Real American Hero: Season 1, Part 1 - 7/21/09

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/GI-Joe-...1-Part-1/11518

Fighting for freedom, where ever there's trouble, over land and sea and air...G.I Joe is there!

Yes, G.I. Joe is there. He'll be there in theaters early this August, when G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra hits the box office with a live-action film. And, with Shout! Factory taking over the home video releases of the original Sunbow-produced "G1" series for Transformers, was there ever any doubt that they would also be bringing the original G.I. Joe cartoon series back to DVD as well?

G.I. Joe is an elite group of special military operatives, fighting for freedom wherever there's trouble. In this animated series that introduced Hasbro's popular line of 3¾" G.I. Joe action figures, our team of Real American Heroes will stop at nothing to defeat Cobra - an enemy with the singular goal of world domination!

This morning Shout!'s distributor, Vivendi Entertainment, made info available to retailers that G.I. Joe - A Real American Hero: Season 1, Part 1 is going to be available as a 4-DVD set, running approximately 700 minutes, starting on July 21st. That's a wee bit after the 4th of July celebration, but a better schedule for tying it in with the new film. Video will be full frame, and audio in English, but no other specs or pricing info is available yet. Nor is package art, but stay tuned for that.

As for bonus material: well, let's just say that the info provided to retailers makes it look like Shout! has some VERY ambitious plans for the extras on this collection (as they do for Transformers, of course). However, it's very clear that nothing mentioned there is actually set in stone thus far. So, rather than get fans' hopes up, we would rather hold off discussing it here, and let the studio continue to work on finalizing their plans for the supplements on these DVDs. We doubt anyone will be disappointed, though! Stay tuned for updates.

:up:

flansered 03-18-09 01:31 PM

Re: G.I. Joe - A Real American Hero: Season 1, Part 1 - 7/21/09

I still have the old Rhino discs, so I don't plan on rebuying this unless the extras seem worth it.

ETA:
Well, after looking on ebay I might go ahead and sell it off and buy the new set. I don't plan on watching them any time soon anyway.

Quack 03-18-09 01:34 PM

Well if we're lucky we'll finally get the rest of Season 2!

stingermck 03-18-09 01:42 PM

Sounds good. I long since sold my sets for $$$ when I was 'in between jobs' :)

The Valeyard 03-18-09 02:01 PM

Yes!!!!

Josh Z 03-18-09 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 9334122)
Yes!!!!

The correct response is: Yo Joe!!!!

:)

pinata242 03-18-09 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 9334358)
The correct response is: Yo Joe!!!!

:)

Cobra-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!!

WillDLeeEsq 03-18-09 04:20 PM

If the picture is remastered and the extras are good enough, I'll double dip. If not, I'll just wait for the second half of Season 2 which never came out.

DVD Giant 03-18-09 04:46 PM

Waiting for season 2, part 2.

EdTheRipper 03-18-09 05:26 PM

I missed the earlier releases so I'll definitely pick this one up.

My Other Self 03-18-09 05:29 PM

^Me too. I just hope Shout! will get us the whole series.

Quack 03-18-09 05:59 PM

I'm very hopefully myself. I have liked what I've seen from Shout! so far when I've bought from them.

shacmasta 03-18-09 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by flansered (Post 9334021)
I still have the old Rhino discs, so I don't plan on rebuying this unless the extras seem worth it.

ETA:
Well, after looking on ebay I might go ahead and sell it off and buy the new set. I don't plan on watching them any time soon anyway.

I'm in the same boat. so we shall see.

JoeyOhhhh 03-18-09 09:08 PM

Hopefully those comic and toy commercials make it to these DVD releases.

Timber 03-19-09 07:17 AM

I don't know if I'll pick this up. Was so excited for Transformers but my interest waned after I got the first season set, same with Voltron. Still those first 2(?) 5 parters were damn fine television.

reverie 03-19-09 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by flansered (Post 9334021)

Yeah, I kinda already did this once. ;) It'll have to really impress me to buy it again. I don't remember what extras were on the first time around (it's been awhile). Is there a chance they'll be repeated?

Darth Maher 03-19-09 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 9334009)
As for bonus material: well, let's just say that the info provided to retailers makes it look like Shout! has some VERY ambitious plans for the extras on this collection (as they do for Transformers, of course). However, it's very clear that nothing mentioned there is actually set in stone thus far. So, rather than get fans' hopes up, we would rather hold off discussing it here, and let the studio continue to work on finalizing their plans for the supplements on these DVDs.

Any retailers here on DVDTalk that can spill the beans???

I will most likely get this since I missed out the first time.

jjcool 03-19-09 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher (Post 9336523)
Any retailers here on DVDTalk that can spill the beans???

I will most likely get this since I missed out the first time.

Ditto. Never got around to picking this up when it originally came out, so I will get it when it is rereleased. I do have the original 5 epsiode "movie" that came out though, with the Snake Eyes figure.

Living Dead 03-20-09 01:42 AM

I'm only in for this if the extras are substantial and the packaging is awesome, like the MOTU sets. Otherwise I'll do like a few others said and wait for S2 P2.

ericmylad 03-20-09 10:43 AM

Does anyone have any fears that Shout! might change the # of episodes on each set? I'm planning on holding out until S2 P2 comes out since I have the original sets but I hope it picks up where the Rhino series left off. Surely they wouldn't include an extra episode or 2 on S2 P1 that Rhino didn't, would they?

jjcool 03-20-09 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ericmylad (Post 9338219)
Does anyone have any fears that Shout! might change the # of episodes on each set? I'm planning on holding out until S2 P2 comes out since I have the original sets but I hope it picks up where the Rhino series left off. Surely they wouldn't include an extra episode or 2 on S2 P1 that Rhino didn't, would they?

You bring up a good point. I guess we won't know until we see them, unfortunately. I ran into this problem with the original Bond dvd boxsets. I got some of the first special edition boxsets when they came out, then they went out of print. When they came out again, the boxsets were comprised of all different films than the originals.

Quack 04-10-09 05:25 PM

Box art is up!! And it looks pretty sweet if you ask me!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/GI-Joe-...1-Part-1/11677

Sessa17 04-10-09 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 9381304)
Box art is up!! And it looks pretty sweet if you ask me!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/GI-Joe-...1-Part-1/11677

:thumbsup:

WillDLeeEsq 04-10-09 06:56 PM

Same with Transformers, I'll double-dip if the video quality is improved and the extras are good enough.

Sorraffy 04-10-09 07:56 PM

I was planning on buying the GI Joe and Transformers season sets, but I think I'll hold off on those in favor of the two complete series that will be coming out later in the summer

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Transfo...e-Series/11678