Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Prices Creeping Up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-09, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Prices Creeping Up?

I know a couple of people who have one and they really seem to like it. Of course, compare that to the fact that every last person I know has at least one DVD player, and it's a drop in the bucket.
Old 03-17-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gglass4269
with the way the economy is going, do you think studios 5 years down the road will keep pumping money into the BR machine? NO ONE I know has a blu-ray player...
Actually, the way things are going (this would include declining revenue and unit sales for DVD), I don't think that the majors will keep pumping money into DVD (the recent string of independent DVD-only labels going belly up should explain why); it will be phased, starting with the 2DVD SE sets, in favor of a higher-margin product.

Pro-B
Old 03-17-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

First off, don't stop buying anything. We survive by being consumers. Does that fact make any sense? Yes, in the sense that we must consume food. New electronics every two years? Not so much. Plus, my tongue is in cheek. But - my local Mom 'n' Pop x 10 video joint just expanded their BR shelving by a factor of 3, so there you have it. It may take a while, but it looks like things are goin' Blu. (Don't fret, everybody, vinyl is still around .)

But yeah, if DVD prices are indeed going up, it's probably a small conflation of post-holiday sales disappearing and studios just trying to stay afloat on their current raft of bread and butter.

OK - no more drunk posting for me. Happy St. Patty's day, all!
Old 03-18-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
First off, don't stop buying anything. We survive by being consumers.
WE survive by being SMART consumers. Not cattle. I don't like being steered anywhere besides where I WANT to go. Period. Companies trying to change my buying habits by increasing the prices of items that cost them pennies to produce. It's just the studios trying to bend us over and serve them another helping for our pocket books. The sad fact of the matter is that I have spent thousands on their 'new' ultimate super versions and it's getting old. So now rather then give THEM any more money I would rather give it to my local pawnshop, at least they have more morals.

Off soapbox.

Last edited by C_Fletch; 03-18-09 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 10:16 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Actually, the way things are going (this would include declining revenue and unit sales for DVD), I don't think that the majors will keep pumping money into DVD (the recent string of independent DVD-only labels going belly up should explain why); it will be phased, starting with the 2DVD SE sets, in favor of a higher-margin product.

Pro-B
higher margin doesn't equal more profits...

if you only sell 1/100th the amount you would with the lower margin alternative then that's not a good plan.

studios are looking to move the most UNITS of whatever item they are selling. if you can sell 500,000 units of a product with a 2% margin, that's a lot better than 5,000 units at a 5% margin.

imo, bd and ALL disc formats will eventually be eroded by digitally distributed versions of content, be it music, movies or whatever.

discs will still be around but mostly for backup purposes.
Old 03-18-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
higher margin doesn't equal more profits...
I did not argue that it does.

if you only sell 1/100th the amount you would with the lower margin alternative then that's not a good plan.
You theory would be fine if the lower margin product sustained its current performance levels, as did its higher-margin competitor - a quick look at the yearly sales data via HMM indicates that sales and revenue from DVD continue to slide while sales and revenue from BD continue to increase.

studios are looking to move the most UNITS of whatever item they are selling. if you can sell 500,000 units of a product with a 2% margin, that's a lot better than 5,000 units at a 5% margin.
I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Studios are looking to generate more revenue. Moving more units has absolutely nothing to do with their planning. Hence, the reason why you would see that very soon 2DVD SE will start disappearing and and a larger catalog of BDs will start appearing.

imo, bd and ALL disc formats will eventually be eroded by digitally distributed versions of content, be it music, movies or whatever.

discs will still be around but mostly for backup purposes.
On this one I am also going to disagree with you. Physical media will always be around, certainly as far as my and your lifetime is concerned.

Pro-B
Old 03-18-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
WE survive by being SMART consumers. Not cattle. I don't like being steered anywhere besides where I WANT to go. Period.
So do I. Hence the reason why I feel very strongly about HD physical media and what it is capable of offering us over DVD.

Pro-B
Old 03-18-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riderjeff
I honestly don't see how the companies or retailers sell anything at those prices. How many people (besides from this board) can afford to go and shell out $20-$30 for 1 DVD/BR.
Just because you go out and buy these doesn't mean you can afford them! Take it from me. After years of doing just that I realized that I had invested thousands of dollars into my DVD collection. A collection that in reality I would NEVER be able to fully enjoy completely as I had way to many movies.
Old 03-18-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
WE survive by being SMART consumers. Not cattle. I don't like being steered anywhere besides where I WANT to go. Period. Companies trying to change my buying habits by increasing the prices of items that cost them pennies to produce. It's just the studios trying to bend us over and serve them another helping for our pocket books. The sad fact of the matter is that I have spent thousands on their 'new' ultimate super versions and it's getting old. So now rather then give THEM any more money I would rather give it to my local pawnshop, at least they have more morals.
Wow. When you think the local pawn shop has more morals than the studios, you know things are bad! I'm with you brother. I pretty much only buy used DVDs now - for no more than $5 or so tops. Last year I purchased maybe six new DVDs.
Old 03-18-09, 04:33 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Ahh, I see someone posted something negative about Blu-ray, no wonder why Pro-B posted in a thread in the DVDTalk forum. Color me shocked!
Old 03-18-09, 04:34 PM
Suspended

So do I. Hence the reason why I feel very strongly about HD physical media and what it is capable of offering us over DVD.

Pro-B
Except you didn't care about the HD physical format that came in Red cases - only Blue. So you actually only really care(d) about Blu-ray media.
Old 03-18-09, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, the color of the case hardly matters...just ask the recording industry what the hell happened to their disc-based sales. To believe that video will somehow escape this fate is, ummm, wishful thinking at best.

Besides horrific timing for HD media, how many folks do you think are out there that got drunk on DVDs and now have amassed huge (by their standards) collections? Now, does anybody really believe they'll go through this all over again? HD may eventually become the default disc-based media, but it will never be able to equal SD at it's height because the appetite for this delivery system is declining. Cripes, people are trying to figure out how to watch movies on their phone!

Last edited by mdnitoil; 03-18-09 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-18-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Except you didn't care about the HD physical format that came in Red cases - only Blue. So you actually only really care(d) about Blu-ray media.
The discussion in this thread revolves around DVD vs. Blu-ray - present vs. future. Therefore, it should be fairly clear that when I refer to physical HD media I mean Blu-ray. I don't see where HDDVD come into play, given that it is no longer in existence.

This being said, yes, I did not care about Toshiba's product.

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Now, does anybody really believe they'll go through this all over again? HD may eventually become the default disc-based media, but it will never be able to equal SD at it's height because the appetite for this delivery system is declining. Cripes, people are trying to figure out how to watch movies on their phone!
No.

But, I don't think interest in cinema and owning films ends with the generation you mention above.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-18-09 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-19-09, 10:10 AM
Suspended

The discussion in this thread revolves around DVD vs. Blu-ray - present vs. future. Therefore, it should be fairly clear that when I refer to physical HD media I mean Blu-ray. I don't see where HDDVD come into play, given that it is no longer in existence.

This being said, yes, I did not care about Toshiba's product

Pro-B
Yes, we all know anytime something negative about BD is posted you swoop in to defend it.
Old 03-29-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

* Less competition in retailers.
* Less room to "lose money" via loss-leaders.
* Less chance of people impulsively buying other stuff when picking up that loss leader.
* Off-season (no holiday, relatively few big name releases)
* People are slowing down their purchases of "luxury" items.

I think there is a bit of the thinking "Let's not work too hard on the DVD release, let's put that energy toward the BD that costs 8-12$ more and brings in more profit".

If things are "going Blue" over the next few years, it's an interesting question - is it because people are voluntarily and willingly upgrading, or because that's predominately what the retailers and producers are pushing? Can you get a 4:3 non-portable TV anymore?

I do think BD sales will never be, in terms of dollars or units, what DVD sales were at their peak. By the time enough of the consumer base is interested in BD, there will be other methods of delivery like DD or on-demand via set top boxes or PCs, etc.. I personally like disk formats, I don't like moving toward all-digital delivery, but I do see it moving that way.