DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

20th Century Fox to cut bonus features from rental DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: 20th Century Fox to cut bonus features from rental DVDs

Originally Posted by mcfly
Then what was with the ribbing Boyle gave Warner at the Oscars, and why is Warner still listed on Wikipedia?
It's Wikipedia, not the most credible online reference source.
Old 03-17-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever since I have started to buy $2 DVDs at my local pawnshops I have stopped going to my rental shops for several reasons:
1. The discs often look like sh*t and I don't feel like bringing 15 copies to the front of the store to look for a decent one.
2. I hate their rental cases
3. You NEVER get the insert of slipcover - NEVER!
4. Often the boxsets come in seperate DVD cases - bleh!
5. The employees are often dullards. Enough said
6. Their selection is ATROCIOUS!!!
7. They often REPRICE their used out of print items or Disney that are still in print. They decide half hazardly from one store to th next. NO THANKS!!
8. Well, I could go on and one but it's a waste of my time.

So to make a long story longer - I don;t care what the studios do as long as I can keep getting my $2 DVDs at the pawn shop!!
Old 03-18-09, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I don't know why they are claiming they are starting this practice with the March 31 releases....they ALREADY started this practice earlier this year! I rented "The Secret Life Of Bees" from Blockbuster when it came out last month (which is a Fox title), and the box had the same art and list of bonus features as the retail version...however, the disc itself did NOT have the features on it! The same thing happened with "The Rocker" there the week before as well....
I have no problem with the studios releasing two or three or 100 versions of a movie, as long as they are honest and accurate with what they are putting out there. It's incumbent upon me, if I want to purchase a movie, whether from Amazon, Best Buy, Blockbuster, a pawn shop or a yard sale to examine what I'm buying and to know if there's other versions around I would like better.

However, if the studios release a title and the box indicates a particular set of features which are not on the film itself, that's fraud, plain and simple. It's the same as if they put a different movie in the box. If I bought a DVD of Jaws and found I got a Jaws 4 disc instead, I'd have every right to be upset. If I go to a store to buy sweetener and the box says it contains 100 packages of sweetener and there are only 50 in the box, I would have every right to be upset. If it said it contained ten ounces of cereal and there were only eight ounces inside, I would have every right to be upset. The companies that produced and marketed these products would be in immediate trouble with the Federal Trade Commission and various state agencies. The same rules should apply here.

And it doesn't matter if you buy the film used from Blockbuster or a pawn shop. If the box indicates that there should be a particular set of contents inside, that's what should be there. It doesn't matter if there's separate SKUs; if the packaging is deceptive that is a violation of Federal law.

I can forsee some nasty complaints and lawsuits (and a class action suit would be big financially) if this is what's actually happening.
Old 03-18-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Slumdog Millionaire is a WB/Fox production. WB did the initial production and was basically going to release it direct-to-DVD. Searchlight stepped in and handled distribution. If you saw Slumdog theatrically, some of that money went to Warner.

AFAIK, Fox is handling Slumdog's home video release.

This news doesn't affect me in any way. Who rents anymore? VOD is so much easier.
Old 03-19-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eh, I haven't rented anything in ages so doesn't really bother me.