DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   No DTS?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/551219-no-dts.html)

a/v Junkie 03-07-09 05:54 PM

No DTS??

I noticed new dvd releases are not including a DTS track. Are studios not using DTS anymore?? The only way to get DTS on new movie releases is to buy blu-ray. So I'm hoping the studios would start using DTS more often on dvd's in the near future.

manicsounds 03-07-09 06:02 PM

Re: No DTS??

Quantum Of Solace has a DTS track on the DVD. There are still ones with DTS on DVDs. Just space-wise, it is not too efficient.

a/v Junkie 03-07-09 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds (Post 9312170)
Quantum Of Solace has a DTS track on the DVD. There are still ones with DTS on DVDs. Just space-wise, it is not too efficient.

Cool!! I'll be picking this up when it comes out.

Mr. Cinema 03-08-09 03:18 PM

It seems that Fox is about the only studio left using DTS for DVD releases. Universal used to offer up DTS on many titles a couple years ago, but they now seem to just stick with DD 5.1.

a/v Junkie 03-08-09 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 9313256)
It seems that Fox is about the only studio left using DTS for DVD releases. Universal used to offer up DTS on many titles a couple years ago, but they now seem to just stick with DD 5.1.

So is DTS slowly fading away from DVD releases?

Giles 03-10-09 03:27 PM

yes, but fortunately DTS-MA HD is migrating to bluray - thank god!

ReduxGuy 03-10-09 05:44 PM

We need DTS back on DVD!

The DTS on War of the Worlds remains my one reason for getting friends to buy 5.1s.

mountain_dew 03-10-09 06:17 PM

The DTS soundtrack for Serenity is my favorite. When Serenity is crashing I think my windows are going to blow out and it scares the shit out of the cats.

a/v Junkie 03-11-09 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy (Post 9317764)
We need DTS back on DVD!

The DTS on War of the Worlds remains my one reason for getting friends to buy 5.1s.

I agree with ReduxGuy. We do need DTS back on DVD asap!!

War of the Worlds does sound good in DTS. But LOTR sounds even better. AQ demo for sure.:banana:

matome 03-12-09 09:03 AM

With tons of previews on DVD's becoming the norm I would imagine they need to pull disc space from somewhere and I guess audio tracks were the first to go, with crappy compression the next step.

jjcool 03-12-09 10:31 AM

Well thi ssucks, but to be honest with you, I havent really noticed. Most of my recent dvd watching has been TV on dvd. I cant remember the last time that I watched a dvd and was blown away by the sound.

I do remember the original DTS version of Saving Private Ryan was incredible. Back then, they did seperate DTS and DD releases.