DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Old 02-25-09, 08:34 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,055
Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

I haven't yet bought any Indiana Jones on DVD, and for some reason finally decided to. As I understand it, there was:
  • The Adventures of Indiana Jones (2003 box set): 3 movies + bonus disc, with all special features on the bonus disc
  • The Adventure Collection (2008 box set): 3 movies each with special features
And the bonus material doesn't overlap between the sets, right? So, if I were to get The Adventure Collection and the 2003 bonus disc by itself (this is it, right?) then I would essentially have a complete Indiana Jones set, right? I didn't mention the new movie because it's a bit obvious what to do there (just get the two-disc)

Last edited by joltman; 02-27-09 at 04:16 PM.
joltman is offline  
Old 02-25-09, 08:47 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
manicsounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,609
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

thats right
manicsounds is offline  
Old 02-26-09, 07:07 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mickey65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,904
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

I bought them separately since I only liked the first and third one...
mickey65 is offline  
Old 02-26-09, 07:57 AM
  #4  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,729
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Originally Posted by joltman View Post
I didn't mention the new movie because it's a bit obvious what to do there (just get the two-disc)
Wrong answer. Correct answer is to buy as many copies as possible and destroy them all, so as to not subject anyone to that trainwreck.

But yes, you're right on the other stuff. There were several different exclusives of course, but I don't think any of them were media based.

Did the blu-ray have any exclusive features?
Trevor is offline  
Old 02-26-09, 09:32 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 5,071
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

OR wait for the original trilogy BD later this year that is rumored to be coming. My DVD set of the IJ series consists of the 2 disc releases of all films w/ lenticular covers from Walmart. Crystal Skull in the Steelbook. Bonus disc from the original trilogy release and the best buy Raiders bonus disc. So thats a 10 disc set. Havent gotten into the tv show series yet.
Rammsteinfan is offline  
Old 02-26-09, 11:14 AM
  #6  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,729
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Oh that's right, there was a Best Buy bonus disc on the first trilogy release.
Trevor is offline  
Old 02-26-09, 07:35 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Midlothian, VA
Posts: 2,659
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan View Post
OR wait for the original trilogy BD later this year that is rumored to be coming. My DVD set of the IJ series consists of the 2 disc releases of all films w/ lenticular covers from Walmart. Crystal Skull in the Steelbook. Bonus disc from the original trilogy release and the best buy Raiders bonus disc. So thats a 10 disc set. Havent gotten into the tv show series yet.
What two disc releases?? Digital copies on the second discs maybe? I'm confused....the individual releases from last year that added the new special features not originally on the box set set were single disc releases...you should at most have a 7 disc set to have everything...
WMAangel is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 10:16 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 5,071
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
What two disc releases?? Digital copies on the second discs maybe? I'm confused....the individual releases from last year that added the new special features not originally on the box set set were single disc releases...you should at most have a 7 disc set to have everything...
Yeah, your right. I forgot i got rid of my original trilogy discs a while ago so it is only down to 7 discs. Good catch. I was on something the other day.
Rammsteinfan is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 10:22 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 2,506
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan View Post
OR wait for the original trilogy BD later this year that is rumored to be coming.
I've heard that too. So joltman, if you have a BD player, wait for the Blu Indie's.
Blu Man is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 10:42 AM
  #10  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

I have my IJ dvd set...the 3 films and the extra disc with those bits of the stunts and the actual aspect of making each flick etc. I love it. Anyway...I've yet to own Crystal Skull and will wait to do so until it goes down much lower in price.
Solid Snake is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 11:52 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,055
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Originally Posted by Blu Man View Post
I've heard that too. So joltman, if you have a BD player, wait for the Blu Indie's.
Nope, I haven't gone blu (and don't expect to for a while) so I ordered the Adventure Collection used for about $21
joltman is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 03:15 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
LickTheABCs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Viva BuyMoria!
Posts: 3,464
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

I picked up the Bonus Disk from "Adventures" at Blockbuster during one of their 4 for 10 sales. Try looking there.
LickTheABCs is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 09:59 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,232
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

My collection consists of the 2003 set (complete with the Best Buy bonus disc, thanks to eBay) and the 2-disc of Crystal Skull. I was going to get The Adventure Collection, but the more I read about the special features, the more I realized it wasn't worth $40.

If you're a completist, though, The Adventure Collection, the fourth disc from the 2003 set, the Special Edition of Crystal Skull, and the Best Buy disc (if you can find it) will give you the entire collection.

--THX
CertifiedTHX is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 11:35 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,141
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I bought them separately since I only liked the first and third one...

I too would say that is the "Best way to own the Indiana Jones series on DVD."
slowcloud is offline  
Old 03-22-10, 08:47 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 6,998
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

I recently ordered a used copy of the Adventure Collection from Hastings. I just got my order today, but it was The Adventures (2003) instead. From what I read here it may not be worth my time reordering the Adventure Collection, that new special features aren't worth the upgrade and to just keep this set. Yay, nay?
dino88 is offline  
Old 03-22-10, 09:15 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,737
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

I got the Adventures set for Christmas a couple years back, bought the SEs around the time Crystal Skull came out when they managed to be really low-priced, sold the DVDs from the set for a good sum and keep the SEs in the Adventures box.

Now, I need to find that exclusive Best Buy disc.
ReduxGuy is offline  
Old 03-22-10, 11:24 PM
  #17  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,282
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

I'm pretty sure I have the Best Buy bonus disc. How much $$$ is it going for?
dex14 is offline  
Old 03-22-10, 11:32 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,737
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I'm pretty sure I have the Best Buy bonus disc. How much $$$ is it going for?
I have never seen it on eBay or Amazon.

Are you thinking of selling yours?
ReduxGuy is offline  
Old 03-23-10, 12:07 AM
  #19  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,282
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Maybe? haha Its just sitting there
dex14 is offline  
Old 03-23-10, 09:04 AM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 72
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

I sold my original 2003 box-set, but kept the bonus disc. So along with that, I've got the 2-disc Crystal Skull steelbook, as well as an exclusive-as-hell 'adventure collection' that includes all 3 films in one slim steelbook.

As well, as a gag at the production company I worked at, I recut Indy4 to feel more like the older films, so I include that disc (and much prefer it to the theatrical Indy4 anyway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5CV06LjXfU
Swahili is offline  
Old 03-23-10, 10:12 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 540
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

I got the first, third, and fourth Indies used at Blockbuster and the special features disk at Half Price for $3. Have never liked Temple of Doom and don't want to own it or ever see it again.
drmar35mm is offline  
Old 03-24-10, 05:33 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,298
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Originally Posted by drmar35mm View Post
Have never liked Temple of Doom and don't want to own it or ever see it again.
I'd suggest re-visiting it sometime. It used to be my least favorite, too, but in recent years I've come to appreciate it. It's the only one of the original trilogy (now quadrilogy) that doesn't follow the paint-by-numbers formula of Indy competing with Nazis/Soviets to find a supernatural artifact that in the end is used to wipe out the bad guys. The Temple of Doom takes a lot of storytelling chances, and by contrast it stands out as the most daring of them all. Yes, Kate Capshaw's performance a Willie Scott never lets up and is irritating. For my money, though, Short Round is in the Sidekick Hall of Fame.

This also has Harrison Ford's finest performance in the role. He really shows some range, from playfully tormenting Willie Scott to being genuinely outraged over the slave children. There's a sincere tenderness when he meets with the village elders. This isn't Indiana Jones as a patriotic adventurer; this is Indiana Jones, the man. He's traveled the world, and goes up against the Thuggee cult not for fortune and glory, but because it's the right thing to do.

Edit: I forgot to mention this is my favorite of John Williams's Indy scores. I love "Parade of the Slave Children."
Travis McClain is offline  
Old 03-24-10, 06:18 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,259
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
I'd suggest re-visiting it sometime. It used to be my least favorite, too, but in recent years I've come to appreciate it. It's the only one of the original trilogy (now quadrilogy) that doesn't follow the paint-by-numbers formula of Indy competing with Nazis/Soviets to find a supernatural artifact that in the end is used to wipe out the bad guys. The Temple of Doom takes a lot of storytelling chances, and by contrast it stands out as the most daring of them all. Yes, Kate Capshaw's performance a Willie Scott never lets up and is irritating. For my money, though, Short Round is in the Sidekick Hall of Fame.

This also has Harrison Ford's finest performance in the role. He really shows some range, from playfully tormenting Willie Scott to being genuinely outraged over the slave children. There's a sincere tenderness when he meets with the village elders. This isn't Indiana Jones as a patriotic adventurer; this is Indiana Jones, the man. He's traveled the world, and goes up against the Thuggee cult not for fortune and glory, but because it's the right thing to do.

Edit: I forgot to mention this is my favorite of John Williams's Indy scores. I love "Parade of the Slave Children."
Agreed 100%. ToD is my second favorite IJ movie, after Raiders.

I really wish we had gotten more Indiana Jones movies that broke the Raiders pattern. How awesome would an Indiana Jones "Mummy" movie have been? Or having Indiana Jones searching for Atlantis?

ETA: I also fully endorse Alexandra DuPont's praise of ToD and criticisms of TLC.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-24-10 at 06:30 AM.
Josh-da-man is online now  
Old 03-24-10, 06:27 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Boba Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,087
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

ToD is underrated, honestly. I had the pleasure of seeing restored prints of Raiders and Temple in a theater a few years back and Temple is an absolute blast on the big screen. It's well paced and sets itself apart from the other films, by not relying on rehashed jokes or plot structures. It also manages to be incredibly dark, which says a lot considering Raiders and Crusade feature Nazis. At the end of the day it's no Raiders, but it's worthy of the Indiana Jones mantle and more consistent than Crusade, which I end up giving a huge pass to, due to the involvement of Connery.
Boba Fett is offline  
Old 03-24-10, 09:16 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 540
Re: Best way to own Indiana Jones series on DVD?

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
I'd suggest re-visiting it sometime. It used to be my least favorite, too, but in recent years I've come to appreciate it.
Sorry, I haven't had the same experience. I did revisit Temple of Doom a couple of years ago and my feelings didn't change in the least. Still roundly disliked almost everything about it. Disliked the storyline, the gross outs, the kid, Kate Capshaw, the evil cult. As I've written here before. Same feelings I had walking out the theater in what, 1984? My wife had an identical reaction, then and now. To me Spielberg is trying way too hard to top himself. Without question my least favorite Spielberg flick. I still love Raiders and Crusade, though.
drmar35mm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.