Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dawsons Creek - The Complete Series in November

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dawsons Creek - The Complete Series in November

Glad I haven't bought the season sets yet

Dawson's Creek - We've Learned of Some Late 2009 Plans for a Complete Series Set

Look for it late in 2009
Posted by David Lambert
2/20/2009

Head's up! We've found out that Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is working on a DVD release for Dawson's Creek - The Complete Series, which they're planning to make available late this year. The current plan is for November, in fact, but those plans are so far in advance that a specific final street date isn't available. And the schedule could, of course, get moved during all that time. Stay tuned for updates about it as we get (much) closer to the release.
TVShowsOnDVD.com
Old 02-20-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Dawsons Creek - The Complete Series in November

Wow. I grew up watching this show... I think I was probably 10 or 11 when it aired and I watched it from pilot to series finale, narely missing an episode in between. I bought the DVDs originally when then all came out and have watched them many times, some of the first season discs don't actually work anymore. For me there is just something about this series, "gilmore girls" and "six feet under" where I can watch them again and again.

But that being said and already owning the previous releases in order to get me to buy this Sony is going to need to up the bonus features considerably. The original releases were really lackluster, especially in terms of picture quality and bonus features.
Old 02-20-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only thing that could possibly make me consider purchasing the series is the restoration of all of the original music from the television broadcast versions.
Old 02-20-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

^ Yeah, me too. That's the only reason I haven't bought any of the season sets. I can't believe they even nixed the Paula Cole song! Can anyone actually listen to "I Don't Want To Wait" and NOT think of Dawson's Creek?
Old 02-20-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Wow. I grew up watching this show... I think I was probably 10 or 11 when it aired and I watched it from pilot to series finale, narely missing an episode in between.
How old are you? The show is only 11 years old.

I guess, looking back on it, maybe you grew up with this the way I "grew up with" Saved by the Bell (1989-1993, I'm 30).

My wife and I love Dawson's Creek. I might have to look into this.
Old 02-20-09, 04:27 PM

Has that ever even happened to early on they release the show edited with different music but when they release it in a complete set. They include it with all the original music and scenes. I don't think that has ever happened. Won't this just be all the discs from the season sets put in a complete package?
Old 02-20-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000
Has that ever even happened to early on they release the show edited with different music but when they release it in a complete set. They include it with all the original music and scenes. I don't think that has ever happened. Won't this just be all the discs from the season sets put in a complete package?
Pretty much. There's no way they're paying all that money to license music when each season has already been released separately without it. They'll surely try to make a nice box or something and tack on some new bonus content in an effort to entice some of the people they have already sold to and then call it a day.
Old 02-20-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

This is probably going to be all the discs from the previous sets compiled together. I already have every season, so I don't need this.

Can someone re-fresh my memory, which season set did they drop Paula Cole's theme song for some generic song?
Old 02-20-09, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
This is probably going to be all the discs from the previous sets compiled together. I already have every season, so I don't need this.

Can someone re-fresh my memory, which season set did they drop Paula Cole's theme song for some generic song?
I'm pretty sure the change was made starting with the season 3 DVD.
Old 02-20-09, 09:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by awil1026
The only thing that could possibly make me consider purchasing the series is the restoration of all of the original music from the television broadcast versions.
Ditto. I got all the season sets for free during the infamous amazon sale a couple of years ago.
Old 02-21-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

I watched almost every Dawson's Creek episode during its run, but does anyone else find it kind of hard to watch now that Tom Cruise's cult brainwashed Katie Holmes.
Old 05-28-09, 04:00 AM

Sorry to bump with a question, but I'm curious if anyone has heard ANYTHING further about this?
Old 05-28-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you want the original music and you can get region-free / PAL capability on your DVD player, my wife imported the complete set from the UK for not too much money a while back:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawsons-Cree.../dp/B000BUK2SE
Old 05-28-09, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
If you want the original music and you can get region-free / PAL capability on your DVD player, my wife imported the complete set from the UK for not too much money a while back:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawsons-Cree.../dp/B000BUK2SE
Why the hell can they get the music intact in that set and not in the US. This is just plain stupid on Sony's part.
Old 05-28-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dx23
Why the hell can they get the music intact in that set and not in the US. This is just plain stupid on Sony's part.
It's because music rights issues are different in the U.K. than they are in the U.S.
Old 05-28-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually it sounds like they used the same replacement music in the UK...although the original music exists on the foreign-language soundtracks (craziness). My bad.

My wife imported Ally McBeal for similiar reasons - DVD release held up by music rights issues.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 05-28-09 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-28-09, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry to bump with a question, but I'm curious if anyone has heard ANYTHING further about this?
Nope - and I've been waiting for this as well.
Old 05-28-09, 06:42 PM

I don't want to wait, for this set to be released! (jk since no one has made the joke yet)
Old 08-31-09, 05:18 PM

TVshowosndvd has listed the box-art and some new extras (which looks like they total MAYBE 20 minutes) with a release date of November 10th.

I'm seriously annoyed they are using the same discs (just with art) from the original releases. Sony squeezed 6 46/47 minute episodes on some discs and it gets to the point where I though youtube would have better quality.
Old 08-31-09, 05:30 PM

TVshowosndvd has listed the box-art and some new extras (which looks like they total MAYBE 20 minutes) with a release date of November 10th.

I'm seriously annoyed they are using the same discs (just with art) from the original releases. Sony squeezed 6 46/47 minute episodes on some discs and it gets to the point where I though youtube would have better quality.
Looks like it has a bonus CD that includes music from the series. While I don't expect this to happen, I'd almost if they included some music on the CD that is not included in the DVD episodes.
Old 08-31-09, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by awil1026
Looks like it has a bonus CD that includes music from the series. While I don't expect this to happen, I'd almost if they included some music on the CD that is not included in the DVD episodes.
Considering that they didn't even bother to license music sang by Katie Holmes and Busey Phillips (series regulars) in the sixth season, we all might be able to laugh come November.

It's kinda sad that such a generally well-remembered series that was pretty groundbreaking in its day will always be remembered in such lackluster condition. Any other studio (Fox, Warner Brothers, Disney) would have had a much better job with this property.
Old 08-31-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very disappointing....was hoping for "now featuring all the original music", or better yet, "now remastered with 25% more discs so the episodes don't look overly compressed and artifacted to hell", but no....instead we just get one new featurette, a silly trivia game, and a CD sampler of music that may not even be included on the shows proper....

Whoever cheaped out at Sony and decided to only use 4 discs a season (for what needs 5-6 to look OK) should really be shot....to the best of my knowledge, no other major studio (Fox, Warner, Disney, Universal) has ever used only a mere 4 discs for a full length season of an hour long show on DVD....
Old 08-31-09, 09:21 PM
Banned

Considering that they didn't even bother to license music sang by Katie Holmes and Busey Phillips (series regulars) in the sixth season, we all might be able to laugh come November.

What exactly did Sony do in those cases where the actresses were singing? Remove the scene or what?
Old 09-01-09, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
What exactly did Sony do in those cases where the actresses were singing? Remove the scene or what?
Yep - they removed the scene. The issue wouldn't be with getting permission from the actresses - it was getting clearance for the songs they were singing. I recall one of them being "Jessie's Girl"...
Old 09-01-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Very disappointing....was hoping for "now featuring all the original music", or better yet, "now remastered with 25% more discs so the episodes don't look overly compressed and artifacted to hell", but no....instead we just get one new featurette, a silly trivia game, and a CD sampler of music that may not even be included on the shows proper....

Whoever cheaped out at Sony and decided to only use 4 discs a season (for what needs 5-6 to look OK) should really be shot....to the best of my knowledge, no other major studio (Fox, Warner, Disney, Universal) has ever used only a mere 4 discs for a full length season of an hour long show on DVD....
Wow. I was never a Dawson's Creek fan, but if they're going to treat that show that badly, one would wonder why they'd even bother releasing it...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.