DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Lust, Caution: R vs NC-17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/550111-lust-caution-r-vs-nc-17-a.html)

dino88 02-17-09 09:58 PM

Lust, Caution: R vs NC-17

I just picked up a copy of Lust, Caution today at blockbuster as part of their 4 for $20 promotion. I got the R-rated version (only one I saw there) and I'm wondering what the differences are between the two. Am I missing much or is this version suitable?

The cover art is pretty deceiving "R-Rated film not seen in theaters" as if your getting the better version. It only cost me $5, so would you recommend just sticking with this copy?

...I did a search and didn't see anyone compare the two. Thanks for anyone that can help out.

Solid Snake 02-17-09 10:06 PM

Re: Lust, Caution: R vs NC-17

Well I haven't seen it but from what I've heard the R rated cut isn't what you would exactly call his cut of the film. The NC-17 cut is the original theatrical cut and his cut as well. I'd go with NC-17

Julie Walker 02-17-09 10:43 PM

This website has a comparision between the two versions complete with pictures. So it's not safe for work and stuff. But basically the two big sex scenes in the film were cut and or altered to get an R rating on dvd. The NC-17 version is the directors cut + original theatrical cut. But, if you can't return the dvd and don't mind missing some footage. You may not notice much or anything when viewing it, especially if you have'nt seen the movie before. If you like the movie enough, you could get the NC-17 later on as well. Since you already own it, you might as well watch it. Unless you really feel strongly about this and can return the dvd and get a refund.

NSFW! You've been warned!

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=5391271

Solid Snake 02-17-09 10:53 PM

wow...that really makes a difference. Now...if Tang Wei's career was finished by this film wtf is she up to now?

I'm assuming Tony Lau is still going strong cuz of who he is. Hrm....

dino88 02-17-09 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker (Post 9273585)
This website has a comparision between the two versions complete with pictures.

Thanks Julie, that helped a lot. It looks like less than 2 minutes of footage was either changed or removed, so I think I can live with that. The biggest difference that I noticed that may affect the overall mood of the scene was the shot of him choking the woman. I'll just keep the director's intentions in mind when watching that scene, it definitely helped having looked at the still footage.

At least they didn't cut entire scenes or remove dialogue. I was expecting much worse, i.e. couple kissing cut to shot of couple under the sheets smoking a ciggy.

Thanks again.

...but how about that slick marketing on the dvd "r-rated version not seen in theaters"? That's the first time I've ever seen that, in essence, advertising more and getting less.

dino88 02-17-09 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9273601)
wow...that really makes a difference. Now...if Tang Wei's career was finished by this film wtf is she up to now?

That's bullshit huh? I guess she'll have to move outside of China and restart her career. Hopefully win some awards and throw them back in their faces.

Tony Leung (you probably confused his name with Andy Lau, both in Infernal Affairs) was just in John Woo's Red Cliff (which I haven't seen but got great reviews) and I think just finished filming the sequel.

Julie Walker 02-17-09 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 9273624)
Thanks Julie, that helped a lot. It looks like less than 2 minutes of footage was either changed or removed, so I think I can live with that. The biggest difference that I noticed that may affect the overall mood of the scene was the shot of him choking the woman. I'll just keep the director's intentions in mind when watching that scene, it definitely helped having looked at the still footage.

At least they didn't cut entire scenes or remove dialogue. I was expecting much worse, i.e. couple kissing cut to shot of couple under the sheets smoking a ciggy.

Thanks again.

...but how about that slick marketing on the dvd "r-rated version not seen in theaters"? That's the first time I've ever seen that, in essence, advertising more and getting less.

You're welcome, and yes I find the marketing funny as well. Usually they'd just say "R rated version" and that's it. Or in Showgirls case(on VHS)"Directors R rated Version".

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/4...srrateduz4.jpg

Speaking of that film, I first saw the R version many times on cable. Then the NC-17 version years later on dvd, and it didn't make a huge difference to me. I hardly knew what was added, and even reading comparisions. I'd probably have to watch it side by side to notice anything. The network tv version of the film is a complete hack job though that's about 90 minutes without commercials(maybe less). It's both quite funny, and just a big mess that is unwatchable in that form. So at least the R version wasn't as cut as badly as the network version. It's basically as you described "Cut to couple smoking cigarette". The biggest laugh I had in the network version was right before this big long sex scene between two characters. It abruptly cuts to the next morning with the woman saying "That was wonderful!" or something. Yet we don't see anything that happened at all, not even a soft core no nudity tease, it just completely cuts out any hint of sex!

dino88 02-18-09 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker (Post 9273665)
The biggest laugh I had in the network version was right before this big long sex scene between two characters. It abruptly cuts to the next morning with the woman saying "That was wonderful!" or something. Yet we don't see anything that happened at all, not even a soft core no nudity tease, it just completely cuts out any hint of sex!

So in that version of the film she just had a really good sleep and felt the need to express it...lol

And I won't ask why you've seen Showgirls as many times as you have, as I'm sure you've had the conversation before. I've got my guilty pleasures as well...my favorite horror movies are the Leprachaun films...shhhh

Julie Walker 02-18-09 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 9273708)
So in that version of the film she just had a really good sleep and felt the need to express it...lol

Yep:)

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 9273708)
And I won't ask why you've seen Showgirls as many times as you have, as I'm sure you've had the conversation before. I've got my guilty pleasures as well...my favorite horror movies are the Leprachaun films...shhhh

Well I'll just say that I haven't seen the film since the early 2000s (but that'll change once I pick up the new dvd eventually). But back when it first came on cable. I was a teen, and a big tv addict. So I watched it a lot since nothing else was on. I also had a big crush on Gina Gershon in the film as well:)

It is a fun film though, and I do like it and am not ashamed to admit that. I like all kinds of films and can appreciate the cheesier ones if they entertain me enough. I don't see how anyone could think Showgirls was meant to be some serious dramatic film or something, especially with Paul Verhoeven directing.

dullboy 02-18-09 11:30 AM

Showgirls rules. No need for explanations. Watch drunk and with many friends.

Mark Waters 02-18-09 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker (Post 9274445)
Yep:)

Well I'll just say that I haven't seen the film since the early 2000s (but that'll change once I pick up the new dvd eventually). But back when it first came on cable. I was a teen, and a big tv addict. So I watched it a lot since nothing else was on. I also had a big crush on Gina Gershon in the film as well:)

It is a fun film though, and I do like it and am not ashamed to admit that. I like all kinds of films and can appreciate the cheesier ones if they entertain me enough. I don't see how anyone could think Showgirls was meant to be some serious dramatic film or something, especially with Paul Verhoeven directing.

Showgirls is still Awesome!

Solid Snake 02-18-09 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 9273651)
That's bullshit huh? I guess she'll have to move outside of China and restart her career. Hopefully win some awards and throw them back in their faces.

Tony Leung (you probably confused his name with Andy Lau, both in Infernal Affairs) was just in John Woo's Red Cliff (which I haven't seen but got great reviews) and I think just finished filming the sequel.

ah fuck I was watching House of Flying Daggers, sorry. I think Tony Leung and Andy Lau are the best in HK. Leung specifically can convince me that he can do anything. I still need to see Ashes of Time Redux, DVD should be coming out soon I'd think...

Larry C. 02-18-09 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9273601)

Well she became a resident of Hong Kong and is starting over and but I think she will be in the States acting real soon. She has the goods.

dino88 02-18-09 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C. (Post 9274565)
Well she became a resident of Hong Kong and is starting over and but I think she will be in the States acting real soon. She has the goods.

Can she speak English though? She'd have a hard time finding work if she doesn't. It seems the only Asians that work in Hollywood who aren't fluent in English are designated to martial arts films.

DJariya 02-19-09 01:28 PM

That movie censorship web site is great, Thanks for sharing it.

Solid Snake 02-19-09 01:48 PM

Lee to this day won't admit or deny that the sex was acted or not. I'm inclined to believe that it may have actual real sex. It's that or it's the most realistic portrayal of sex I've seen on film.

Larry C. 02-19-09 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 9275110)
Can she speak English though? She'd have a hard time finding work if she doesn't. It seems the only Asians that work in Hollywood who aren't fluent in English are designated to martial arts films.

Yea she can I caught an interview awhile back with her and some co-stars from Lust, Caution. She's a smart cookie.

gryffinmaster 02-19-09 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Larry C. (Post 9277666)
Yea she can I caught an interview awhile back with her and some co-stars from Lust, Caution. She's a smart cookie.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ohmuJXgehN8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ohmuJXgehN8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

... also, here's some interview time with Ang Lee that starts to discuss the scene around the 4-minute mark or so.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/irSY5l3BecU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/irSY5l3BecU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DJariya 02-19-09 04:58 PM

I saw that interview on the top from the Lust Caution DVD. Her english is actually quite good and she's quite articulate in expressing herself. I hope she does get some more work in Hong Kong or even in the United States.