DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   When will we see our favorite shows be released in its original form /un-altered (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/549967-when-will-we-see-our-favorite-shows-released-its-original-form-un-altered.html)

red06 02-15-09 04:46 PM

When will we see our favorite shows be released in its original form /un-altered

When will we see our favorite shows be released in its original form (i.e. un-altered) on DVD

And what chances do you give of this ever hapening

I think most of you will know of what i am talking about but for the sake of completeness I will elaborate

There a many shows who are released to dvd wich are altered from their original aired version. These alterations are not mentioned on the dvd box.

These alterations include:

- Using the syndicated version (22min episodes, and other alterations) instead of the original longer version (25 min)

- Removing / replacing music

- Removing / replacing dialogue

- Removing / replacing entire scenes

"WKRP in cincinnati" is the best example of this since it is a victime of all of the above and only one season has been released

"The wonder years" is another example sicnce its studio cannot resolve these issues and none of its seasons have been released

There is no official place where you can go and view what shows have been released altered, and what alterations have been made

TVshowsonDVD.com has a Alterations List wich was created / updated by users of their site but it seems as though they have suspended any further aditions / updates due to "(lots of) incorrect information being submitted".

I don't know when their list was suspended...but it is far from complete...They don't even have "WKRP in cincinnati" listed on it

emachine12 02-15-09 05:20 PM

Re: When will we see our favorite shows be released in its original form /un-altered

What do you mean?

The Cow 02-15-09 05:22 PM

Re: When will we see our favorite shows be released in its original form /un-altered

mine already is.

marty888 02-15-09 06:26 PM

And specifically, what shows do you have in mind?

Travis McClain 02-15-09 06:31 PM

16 May 2011. All of them. You're welcome.

red06 02-15-09 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by emachine12 (Post 9268601)
What do you mean?

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 9268606)
mine already is.

Originally Posted by marty888 (Post 9268686)
And specifically, what shows do you have in mind?

Ok I have re-edited my post

Alan Smithee 02-15-09 07:29 PM

For any TV shows that aired before home VCRs were widely available (1976) I'd like to see them presented EXACTLY as they originally aired, including all commercials and show promos. They should include a playback option to edit those out if you want, but back then the average commercial break was only 1 minute so they're not as intrusive as the ones on TV these days. There's a TON of stuff I'd buy just for the commercials if they were included.

bsmith 02-15-09 07:41 PM

Because of the very issues you mention amd who is even willing to take a chance at releasing some shows and who isn't. Your only options are:

1. Have a very few shows released perfectly and none others, or
2. Have some released perfectly and a bunch of others with various issues, but at least released.

We are currently in a state of option 2, and I would take option 2 over option 1 because I believe these are really the only 2 options available.

emachine12 02-15-09 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by red06 (Post 9268552)
"WKRP in cincinnati" is the best example of this since it is a victime of all of the above and only one season has been released

I don't know when their list was suspended...but it is far from complete...They don't even have "WKRP in cincinnati" listed on it

Fox has gone on record and said that the only reason why they even attempted a DVD release of WKRP is because they decided that the fans wanted the show any way they could get it. The show was delayed on DVD for years simply due to music issues.

Its not a matter of just:

"Can we use the music?"

"Sure."
Its actually:

"Can we use the music?"

"You only licensed it for TV and Syndication...now its going to cost x amount of dollars."

"What? Really!"
And in a few cases it was this:

"Can we use this music?"

"You can only use it for first run TV. You can't use it in reruns, video, or the internet."

"Wow. OK."
In fact, music licensing became such a pain and headache for television producers that CBS actually made their own record company: CBS Records. This way, they can ensure that the music made by CBS Records would be free of the licensing issues.

Of course, for shows like Cold Case its a different matter entirely. The producers need music that fits with the flashback scenes. As a result, its licensed music for TV only (both first run and syndicated) because it keeps the production costs down. This show will never be on DVD or Blu-ray Disc due to the music licensing agreement.

As for syndicated versions:

Shows have different production companies than the network that airs them. In some cases, the production company may not want to get into video releasing. In other cases, the production company may have gone under. In many cases, the production company does not want to risk financial loss on video releases that may not sell.

So another company will pick up the tab and license the show from the original production company. The original production company could care care less about what ends up on the disc since they get paid regardless so they give the new video company whatever they can find in the vault.

In the case of Alf, NBC was the distributor but Alien Productions was the production company. Lionsgate is the video company who sells it on DVD and they had to go to NBC for the source elements for the DVD. NBC is the one who provided the syndicated versions.

Of course, some companies are turning around but it comes at a cost to customers.

Despite the fact that the seventh season of Scrubs is only two discs, it has the original unaltered episodes with the original music and that retails for $29.99! Melrose Place: The Second Season is an eight disc set with replaced music for the same price.