Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Most successful tv show to be shunned on DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Most successful tv show to be shunned on DVD?

Old 03-18-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Most successful tv show to be shunned on DVD?

Honestly at this point I'd say '60s Batman live-action show as the biggest thing I'm waiting for on DVD.

They ever release a Pirates of Darkwater?
Old 04-02-09, 10:23 AM

Not a successful show but definitely a cult classic, I've been waiting forever for Max Headroom to be released on DVD.
Old 04-02-09, 11:19 AM
Cool New Member

May not actually qualify for this, but Mork and Mindy have three of the four seasons out. The fourth season is still not available. It has Jonathan Winters playing off of Robin Williams in a bunch of episodes, which is still some of the funniest TV you will ever see!
Old 04-03-09, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bacigalup
Bonanza!!!!
You are absolutely correct. No other show mentioned here even comes close in overall popularity. I guess 60 Minutes would have an argument, since it's still running.

BONANZA ran for nearly 14 years....which alone would qualify it for one of the most successful programs ever.

The only time it dropped out of the TOP TEN was the first year (#17) and the last (#20). It was the number one show three years in a row, and made the top 6 (usually 2 or 3) for nine or more years.

While it's interesting to see everyone's wish list for favorites (I love Wonder Years, too...as well as more obscure titles such as Molly Dodd & Frank's Place), the title of the thread was for MOST SUCCESSFUL show. Judging by the ratings, the cultural references to the Cartwrights & the Ponderosa (even Hop Sing is remembered), and one of the most instantly recognizable, unforgettable theme songs ever created, Bonanza would seem to be a no-contest winner.

While there are other notable shows that deserve to be released (including many westerns such as Maverick & High Chapparal), none of them achieved the long-term success of Bonanza. Only Gunsmoke (among live-action shows) has topped it for longevity & consistent high ratings.
Old 04-03-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

can't come up with anything that hasn't been already mentioned but why didn't rhino release the second season of sigmund and the sea monsters? I guess the first didn't sell well enough for them to bother?
Old 04-06-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Chicago Hope really needs a DVD release....
Old 04-06-09, 05:53 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by videoguy
I really don't understand the whole music rights holding up dvd TV seasons. Something tells me stupid music publishers are trying to charge a fortune for songs that are usually burried under dialogue or mega-shortened anyway. It's not like someone can usually steal a song from a TV show!

Music publishers: Quit being greedy! You'll still get something for the show's music if the dvd is released, but you get NOTHING if the show never gets released!
I think the music industry needs to look at song placement like every other company looks at product placement. IT'S ADVERTISING!

Instead of expecting payment when someone wants to use your song in a TV show or movie, you should have to pay for that advertising just like Pepsi or Doritos paid to have their product prominantly featured in the show. Maybe next time somone hears that song on a TV show they go drop $1 on iTunes to download the song.

The music rights fiasco held up the release of Tour of Duty, and when they eventually released it, it was without all the classic music from the late 60s and early 70s. So I passed on the DVD set. Without the music, it's not the same experience.

Last edited by gar0u; 04-06-09 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gar0u
I think the music industry needs to look at song placement like every other company looks at product placement. IT'S ADVERTISING!

Instead of expecting payment when someone wants to use your song in a TV show or movie, you should have to pay for that advertising just like Pepsi or Doritos paid to have their product prominantly featured in the show. Maybe next time somone hears that song on a TV show they go drop $1 on iTunes to download the song.

The music rights fiasco held up the release of Tour of Duty, and when they eventually released it, it was without all the classic music from the late 60s and early 70s. So I passed on the DVD set. Without the music, it's not the same experience.
Exactly. It's not like as if somebody is going to hear 25 seconds of a song in a TV show and now feel like they don't need to buy a CD with that song on it, or pay to download it. It's completely asinine how the music industry runs itself. All the problems plaguing it are all brought on by their own hands, not their customers, and not by people downloading music.
Old 04-19-09, 09:03 PM

Still Standing -

I know it's not so much of a 'classic' show as of yet but it is definitely a show that is wanted on DVD. They still show reruns on Lifetime and I think either on UPN (can't think of the new name) or CW (do they still call it that? LOL)

I have to go with the masses:

Wonder Years
Batman (60s series)
Small Wonder
Out Of This World
Hey Dude
UnHappily Ever After

I'm sure I can think of more.
Old 04-19-09, 09:56 PM

I'd say the top 2 highest would easily be: The Wonder Years and Batman (1960s). But, personally I think a ton of the Classic Nick shows should have been on shelves in full season volumes years ago. I'm talking about Salute Your Shorts, Doug, and of course Rugrats... I mean the show was on for over 10 years. Maybe if Nick would have spent a little budget into actually marketing there "Nick Rewind" collection and didn't just cancel them after 3 releases declaring "low sales" as the reason. Seriously, I would love it if a fantastic company like Shout! picked up the rights to shows like Doug and Rugrats and gave them a proper release filled with incredible special features. I know these things would sell big!
Old 04-20-09, 08:01 PM

OK ... I've read the whole thread and I still don't see "Maverick" listed, so here goes:

Maverick - The "Shoot from the Quip" western/adventure/comedy/satire series starring James Garner, Jack Kelly, and (sometimes) Roger Moore. In its first three years on the air it was a regular in the Nielsen Top 10.
Old 04-27-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

China Beach!!!