DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

friday the 13th remake unrated dvd

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 10:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: friday the 13th remake unrated dvd

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I went with the BD as I plan on upgrading the original franchise to BD under the following conditions that may or may not happen:

1) Paramount releases IV - VIII on BD. Here's hoping we see IV, V and VI on BD when VII and VIII hit DVD in September.
Not happening. Paramount is done with F13 on Blu-ray for 2009. Why? No idea. This was decided upon before 2 an 3 hit shelves on Tuesday. Trying to find out more info but I got wind of this last week and had to wait until they announced 7/8 on DVD before saying anything. Slight chance 4/5/6 may hit this year...but slight. Paramount seems more interested in bringing out crap films on Blu-ray for $20 to fill up the shelves rather than completing F13. Same goes for MGM pushing the Bond series aside.

2) Paramount makes a box set instead of buying each one individually.
Very likely...next year.

3) I can purchase the box set at a great price (i.e. last week's Fry's deal for Paramount's Star Trek BD box set last weekend where one could snag it for under $60).
For 8 films? Depends.

I bought the original franchise box set due to that amazing price snafu at Blockbuster ($24.99). I really don't want to have to pay more than $50+ to upgrade the eight films to Blu, especially since only the first is uncut.
It will be $50+ when it eventually comes out.

Last edited by Gizmo; 06-18-09 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-19-09, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did we ever figure out why...

Spoiler:
they dump Jason's body in the lake at the end?

That makes absolutely no sense other than setting up the nod to the first film.
Old 06-19-09, 10:23 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by kilcher

Spoiler:

most of the movies he winds up in a lake. why should this one be any different? it is very much in keeping with the tradition of this franchise.
Old 06-19-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kilcher

Spoiler:

I'd guess that you're not a fan of the series if you're questioning what makes sense in a Friday the 13th film.
Old 06-19-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It will be $50+ when it eventually comes out.
I never said I would buy it day and date; I'd wait for the sale that would bring it down to that price.
Old 06-19-09, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I never said I would buy it day and date; I'd wait for the sale that would bring it down to that price.
Not me. I'd pay way too much for the collection on Blu-ray

If Fox put out Season of Buffy for $150 each...I'd bite.
Old 06-19-09, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not me. I'd pay way too much for the collection on Blu-ray. If Fox put out Season of Buffy for $150 each...I'd bite.
I already got fucked over on buying Buffy on day and date for each season by:

- Fox dropping the price ($59.99 SRP to $39.99 SRP).
- Fox making the packaging smaller (to three slim cases).
- Fox releasing the ultimate box set.
- Fox making the packaging even smaller (to a single amaray case).

With my luck, Buffy would be a fuck-up on Blu. Fox would probably release Seasons 4 - 7 in the "improper" ratio of 1.78:1 and the SRP would probably be $150 (considering the 14-episode set of Firefly is $90).

I'd wait and have patience for the price to come down, but with Angel (a show shot and framed with 1.78:1 in mind), I'd bite.
Old 06-22-09, 12:14 PM

I bought this on impulse while picking up 4-6. Great joint marketing - fans of either the old or the new can get sucked into buying both.

Unfortunately, buying both led to me comparing them. The new one is a good movie, no where near as bad as some reviews claimed, but it doesn't measure up to the classics in my mind.

It is funny that the spoiler for me was the slick, Hollywood presentation. The first few low-budget, actually shot in the woods movies are some of my favourites. They have a feel that really sells the movie. By comparison, the rich kids partying at a cottage seemed fake and one-dimensional. It didn't help that the kids in the prologue were more interesting, more likeable and made for a tough act to follow. Of the second group, I only cared about the last three - I had to fight the urge to fast-forwarded to the end.

The older horror movies - Friday, Halloween etc - were low-budget and seemed more real because of their home-video quality and lack of known stars. The newer movies are so slick they are unreal. This got me wondering - is the sick, gory, torturous nature of new series like Saw and Hostel because audiences need to be shocked, and the glossy new releases don't shock using the old techniques?

The other difference could be the cast. I'm not wealthy, and can't relate to spoiled rich twenty-somethings, so it was tough to buy in. The first group were not wealthy or spoiled, and seemed more real to me. The usual targets are campers, camp counselors, people in rustic cabins and other salt-of-the-earth characters that are usually deliberately chosen to appeal to and be similar to a wide demographic. Has any other Friday (or other slasher) featured rich kids getting chased? Was this an issue for you folks?
Old 06-22-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by outlander78
I bought this on impulse while picking up 4-6. Great joint marketing - fans of either the old or the new can get sucked into buying both.

Unfortunately, buying both led to me comparing them. The new one is a good movie, no where near as bad as some reviews claimed, but it doesn't measure up to the classics in my mind.

It is funny that the spoiler for me was the slick, Hollywood presentation. The first few low-budget, actually shot in the woods movies are some of my favourites. They have a feel that really sells the movie. By comparison, the rich kids partying at a cottage seemed fake and one-dimensional. It didn't help that the kids in the prologue were more interesting, more likeable and made for a tough act to follow. Of the second group, I only cared about the last three - I had to fight the urge to fast-forwarded to the end.

The older horror movies - Friday, Halloween etc - were low-budget and seemed more real because of their home-video quality and lack of known stars. The newer movies are so slick they are unreal. This got me wondering - is the sick, gory, torturous nature of new series like Saw and Hostel because audiences need to be shocked, and the glossy new releases don't shock using the old techniques?

The other difference could be the cast. I'm not wealthy, and can't relate to spoiled rich twenty-somethings, so it was tough to buy in. The first group were not wealthy or spoiled, and seemed more real to me. The usual targets are campers, camp counselors, people in rustic cabins and other salt-of-the-earth characters that are usually deliberately chosen to appeal to and be similar to a wide demographic. Has any other Friday (or other slasher) featured rich kids getting chased? Was this an issue for you folks?
why would that be an issue? with your explanation, wouldn`t you actually enjoy it more if spoiled kids get slaughtered
plus they weren`t the usual "spoiled kids" in my view. only the one kid, who`s parents owned the house was a spoiled brat that acted like a dick
i guess if "poor kids" get killed you would feel even more sorry for them
they are already broke and get butchered on top
just an opinion i never heard regarding this movie before...
Old 06-22-09, 01:50 PM

Not me. I'd pay way too much for the collection on Blu-ray

If Fox put out Season of Buffy for $150 each...I'd bite.
I'm with ya Gizmo!! If Fox releases Buffy/Angel on Blu, I'm buying them regardless of the price!!
Old 06-22-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by philip74
why would that be an issue? with your explanation, wouldn`t you actually enjoy it more if spoiled kids get slaughtered
plus they weren`t the usual "spoiled kids" in my view. only the one kid, who`s parents owned the house was a spoiled brat that acted like a dick
i guess if "poor kids" get killed you would feel even more sorry for them
they are already broke and get butchered on top
just an opinion i never heard regarding this movie before...
I think he's saying that when you relate to characters in horror films, you generally "care about them" (for lack of a better term) more, which ratchets up the scariness and intensity since you're actually hoping that the protagonist get's away from the killer in the chase scenes as opposed to just rooting on the killer to take out the next cartoonish douche bag.

But then again, the Friday films have always been about killing all the "bad apples" and the final chase of the "good kids" at the end.

Last edited by kurupt; 06-22-09 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by kurupt
I think he's saying that when you relate to characters in horror films, you generally "care about them" (for lack of a better term) more, which ratchets up the scariness and intensity since you're actually hoping that the protagonist get's away from the killer in the chase scenes as opposed to just rooting on the killer to take out the next cartoonish douche bag.
Yup, that was what I was trying to say. Sorry for the babbling. In the 2009 film, I thought the second party had too many cartoonish characters and not enough good ones. The first two films had entirely likable casts, and I found them more tense as a result.

The major strength of the 2009 film was having two final girls - there was more suspense as you didn't know which one would make it, while normally you know the last one will come through okay. When the final kill happened, it was a surprise, and sad.

Did anyone else find that the final three characters were more sympathetic because they were so similar to the actors' previous roles on television? I don't want to spoil it for people, so I won't name shows, but in total four characters were very much like the actors' previous shows, and those were the four I was most concerned with. (I last saw Willa Ford on Ultimate Fighter - not the same effect.)
Old 06-25-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought the bluray version of this and the movie starts up right away with no menu. How do i get the killer cut extended edition to play? I don't see any options or menus for this. I don't see anything in the special features either. The only options are for the theatrical cut. Thanks.
Old 06-25-09, 09:46 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

According to reviews it defaults to the killer cut.
Old 06-26-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it's the definitely the Killer Cut that begins playing automatically
Old 07-18-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Family video is selling used copies of the Killer Cut for $4.95. This is B&M only as far as I know and YMMV as I can only vouch for only particular store. This may only be a daily/weekend deal, as they had copies at the front desk stickered for $4.95, but the rest on the wall were still at $9.95. If you've been holding off for a price drop and don't mind used dvds, I'd head up there some time today.

edit: They also had one other dvd for $4.95---He's Just Not That Into You---for anyone interested.

Last edited by dino88; 07-18-09 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-18-09, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
Family video is selling used copies of the Killer Cut for $4.95. This is B&M only as far as I know and YMMV as I can only vouch for only particular store. This may only be a daily/weekend deal, as they had copies at the front desk stickered for $4.95, but the rest on the wall were still at $9.95. If you've been holding off for a price drop and don't mind used dvds, I'd head up there some time today.

edit: They also had one other dvd for $4.95---He's Just Not That Into You---for anyone interested.
is Family Video related to BBV in anyway? because BBV has a wall load of Killer Cut cases, but all of them have theatrical edition discs in them.

i told the BBV manager, but they have yet to pull any. if Family Video is selling used rentals...this could be the same case as rental stores didn't get the Killer cut with any extras (as per most rentals nowadays), but the case says otherwise. so i would be wary...
Old 07-18-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
is Family Video related to BBV in anyway? because BBV has a wall load of Killer Cut cases, but all of them have theatrical edition discs in them.

i told the BBV manager, but they have yet to pull any. if Family Video is selling used rentals...this could be the same case as rental stores didn't get the Killer cut with any extras (as per most rentals nowadays), but the case says otherwise. so i would be wary...
No, FV isn't related to BBV. The copy I bought says Killer Cut on the dvd itself and I checked it out just now. It has the extras and a runtime of 106 minutes.

Last edited by dino88; 07-18-09 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-19-09, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
No, FV isn't related to BBV. The copy I bought says Killer Cut on the dvd itself and I checked it out just now. It has the extras and a runtime of 106 minutes.
pm'd you.
Old 08-29-09, 12:06 PM

i'm sure this was discussed somewhere in this thread, but i missed it...

why is the "Killer Cut" Rated 'R' and not the traditional 'Unrated'?

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-29-09 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-29-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
i'm sure this was discussed somewhere in this thread, but i missed it...

why is the "Killer Cut" Rated 'R' and not the traditional 'Unrated'?
Doesn't WB have a thing about not liking to release films as "unrated"?
Old 08-29-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Doesn't WB have a thing about not liking to release films as "unrated"?

Any policy they may have previously had against unrated releases went out the window a few years ago....
Old 08-31-09, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by philip74
i hope there will be a two disc special edition with lots of extras and a nice
slipsleeve!!
the sweetest would of course be a sleeve with an embosed hockey mask
I hope so..