DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

friday the 13th remake unrated dvd

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: friday the 13th remake unrated dvd

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
A horror film being released in June is not that great...but waiting until October is not feasible. And the info comes from me. I have the supposed date already, but it might be changing. It will officially be announced in a few weeks.
i guess if the info comes "from you" it is not an exact science
seems mao is the only source to trust when it comes to dates.
forgive me, i really don`t want to offend you, but when i asked
for your source and you answered "the info comes from me" that
came across just a bit arrogant.
anyhow lets forget about speculations, as predicted by mao, dvdactive
just confirmed the june16 date:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...the-13th5.html

what surprises me though, is the fact that there will be rated and unrated
editions. didn`t the producers originally talk about an extended cut, where
the new scenes could be integrated into the film, or watched by themselves?
i just hope that the unrated version will include the theatrical version as well!
i was actually hoping for a nice two disc set with lots of extras and a slipsleeve!
Old 04-17-09, 02:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

that sucks that the SDVD's Unrated Ed. will only get the Unrated film and not the theatrical as well.
Old 04-17-09, 02:32 PM
Banned

Looks like a TERRIBLE release. I have come to the conclusion that the people in charge if New Releases over at Warner Bros. are pieces of absolute lazy shit who put together some of the worst DVD's out there.
I am terrified of the shit they are planning to pull with the Watchmen release.
Old 04-17-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, i will wait until more infos are disclosed on the release before i start complaining. however, new line used to release the best dvd sets in terms
of quality and extras. now that warner has taken them over, i also think
quality will go down. especially warner two disc special editions have been
a complete joke in terms of extras lately and the picture transfers left
a lot to be desired as well!
Old 04-17-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, i actually just saw the bluray add at dvdactive as well.
now i absolutely will complain!!
talk about pushing bluray again. of course the bluray release includes
both cuts, extras and sleeve, while the dvd versions get S***!!!
already the case with he`s just not that into you release.
i guess as of now standard dvd buyers (which still represent the majority of consumers!!) are second rate clients to warner!
they could at least put out a special edition 2disc dvd for real fans.
if thats how they push bluray....screw them big time!!!

Last edited by philip74; 04-17-09 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 04:12 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by philip74
i guess if the info comes "from you" it is not an exact science
seems mao is the only source to trust when it comes to dates.
forgive me, i really don`t want to offend you, but when i asked
for your source and you answered "the info comes from me" that
came across just a bit arrogant.
anyhow lets forget about speculations, as predicted by mao, dvdactive
just confirmed the june16 date:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...the-13th5.html

what surprises me though, is the fact that there will be rated and unrated
editions. didn`t the producers originally talk about an extended cut, where
the new scenes could be integrated into the film, or watched by themselves?
i just hope that the unrated version will include the theatrical version as well!
i was actually hoping for a nice two disc set with lots of extras and a slipsleeve!
I get my dates directly from the studio or a rep for them. Things can change in a moments notice because they may want to tie a film into an actors other films or move titles out of way if another big film is being released on the same day. As I said before to several other members things change and I am simply offering up what I have heard.
Old 04-17-09, 04:19 PM
Suspended

i guess as of now standard dvd buyers (which still represent the majority of consumers!!) are second rate clients to warner!
Even though there appears to be a ton of "extra" stuff on the Blu-ray most of its just fluff. The extra featurettes are likely 5-10 minutes long, BD-Live is a portal for lame trailers and the only real great feature is the Trivia Track. Digital Copy has always been useless for me (watching a horror film on my iPhone? Pass!)

The Slip cover looks great though and I think the DVD coverart is the normal coverart for the Blu-ray as well. Very odd for the DVD to be either Theatrical or Unrated though.
Old 04-17-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

now i absolutely will complain!! talk about pushing bluray again. of course the bluray release includes both cuts, extras and sleeve, while the dvd versions get S***!!! i guess as of now standard dvd buyers (which still represent the majority of consumers!!) are second rate clients to warner! they could at least put out a special edition 2disc dvd for real fans. if thats how they push bluray....screw them big time!!!
I agree, It's total BS....
Old 04-17-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Even though there appears to be a ton of "extra" stuff on the Blu-ray most of its just fluff. The extra featurettes are likely 5-10 minutes long, BD-Live is a portal for lame trailers and the only real great feature is the Trivia Track. Digital Copy has always been useless for me (watching a horror film on my iPhone? Pass!)

The Slip cover looks great though and I think the DVD coverart is the normal coverart for the Blu-ray as well. Very odd for the DVD to be either Theatrical or Unrated though.
indeed a very strange move. although i actually prefer the dvd cover art, i was really hoping for a 2disc special edition!!
they could have released a barebones single disc theatrical cut and a 2disc with both cuts for the fans!
as they HAVE actually done that with the bluray, i still feel it is just a cheap
shady move to force bluray onto consumers.
not that i will not eventually upgrade to bluray down the road, but i don`t like to be forced to do so, because the standard dvd offers less content!
majority of income still comes to them from dvd buyers, so they should
not treat that core clientele like crap!!
does anybody have contact emails for warner, i would love to give them some feedback on what i think about their release policies!!
Old 04-17-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

biggest joke is that the dvd version states "from the producers of the texas chainsaw massacre"!
as the tcm special edition was such a reference dvd set of great quality and content, "the producers" should be especially ashamed!!
if a was the producer, i would definitely not be happy with how warner is releasing my product!

i quote the producers from their interview, which started the thread:

"We are finishing up on the Unrated DVD this week. That DVD will rock! We have a different cut of movie, that not only has more violence and sex, but it has an additional storyline that is totally different from the movie you will see in theaters. Its not like we just cut a few things differently, the DVD version will feel like a different movie. For those of you who love the theatrical cut, that will also be on the DVD also."
Old 04-17-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bloody Disgusting reports that the new cut is 122 minutes, while the theatrical cut was 97 minutes.
Old 04-17-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they made a mistake, the official add definitely states the killer cut at 106 minutes!
Old 04-17-09, 05:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seantn
Bloody Disgusting reports that the new cut is 122 minutes, while the theatrical cut was 97 minutes.
Old 04-17-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Agreed 100%. I could care less what the BD release gets, but to not give the more supported format the release with all the bells and whistles is fucking bullshit. Two HUGE for warners.
Old 04-17-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope one of the retailers gets an exclusive, because as much as I want to get this, not having the theatrical AND the extended cut is pure bullshit.
Old 04-17-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they made a mistake, the official add definitely states the killer cut at 106 minutes!
Where?

Again, we're all assuming there's room for this stuff on the DVD. Maybe the making-of documentary is an hour. Maybe the Blu-Ray exclusive stuff is too long.

EDIT: Never mind, I see 106 on the ad on BD as well. I wonder who's right...

EDIT 2: It's sounding like 106 is more accurate. It's worth nothing though that the ad says "7 Best Kills" documents all of the movie's death scenes, so that could be a substantial extra.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 04-17-09 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 10:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

For those of you who love the theatrical cut, that will also be on the DVD also."
i'm sure whoever said this was before actually pressing or just didn't know enough to differentiate SDVD with Blu-ray.
Old 04-18-09, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by scott1598
i'm sure whoever said this was before actually pressing or just didn't know enough to differentiate SDVD with Blu-ray.
I think he just means that they'll both be available, and they ARE both available to SD-DVD and BD owners. Additionally, plans might have been different before the movie dropped 80% in its second weekend...
Old 04-18-09, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

indeed a very strange move. although i actually prefer the dvd cover art, i was really hoping for a 2disc special edition!!
they could have released a barebones single disc theatrical cut and a 2disc with both cuts for the fans!
It seems to me they just should have offered both versions on one disc with seemless branching, as MANY other titles have done so already (T2, The Abyss, Wedding Crashers, etc.)....then again, no one has seen this unrated version yet, and perhaps it does not just add scenes, but features extensive edits and repositioning of scenes making this possibility not an option....

as they HAVE actually done that with the bluray, i still feel it is just a cheap
shady move to force bluray onto consumers.
not that i will not eventually upgrade to bluray down the road, but i don`t like to be forced to do so, because the standard dvd offers less content!
majority of income still comes to them from dvd buyers, so they should
not treat that core clientele like crap!!
does anybody have contact emails for warner, i would love to give them some feedback on what i think about their release policies!!
I just knew these comments were going to happen as soon as I saw the info on DVDActive....
Look, at this point just face the facts, the studios are going to do what they have to do to drive BD adoption....the same thing happened 10 years ago in the move from VHS to DVD....were the VHS owners then making a stink when they were still the majority format, and yet their tapes came lacking in the bonus features that were promoted on the DVD release to drive sales and format adoption?
Old 04-18-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
It seems to me they just should have offered both versions on one disc with seemless branching, as MANY other titles have done so already (T2, The Abyss, Wedding Crashers, etc.)....then again, no one has seen this unrated version yet, and perhaps it does not just add scenes, but features extensive edits and repositioning of scenes making this possibility not an option....

I just knew these comments were going to happen as soon as I saw the info on DVDActive....
Look, at this point just face the facts, the studios are going to do what they have to do to drive BD adoption....the same thing happened 10 years ago in the move from VHS to DVD....were the VHS owners then making a stink when they were still the majority format, and yet their tapes came lacking in the bonus features that were promoted on the DVD release to drive sales and format adoption?
well that comparison is a bit weak; where would you add bonus material or seamless branching on a vhs tape
currently i can`t think of other studios pulling that crap!
if you look for example at fox`s taken dvd release they are having a barbones
single disc and a two disc with seamless branching and the same content as the bluray! so they, unlike those morons at warner are very well capable!
with a big title like f13, the least they could have put out is a special edition dvd!
Old 04-18-09, 07:51 AM

I've just come across the news over at DVDactive.com concerning the Friday The 13th (2009) DVD release and i must say i am pretty pissed off as well. Standard DVD buyers should be getting both editions on either one disc or two discs. Why should we only receive the "unrated" version if it's supposedly a whole different movie? If it does somehow still contain all the scenes in the theatrical version then i'm happy but if it doesn't and it's completely different then i have to buy both rated and unrated versions. I was really expecting to have both versions on the same disc.
Old 04-18-09, 12:27 PM

I can't wait to buy the DVD! I don't care about not having the theatrical version with the extended cut because I wasn't ever gonna watch the theatrical version anyway
Old 04-18-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Again, I'd say the plan was probably inititally to include both, perhaps in a 2-disc set, but the film dropped 80% in its second weekend, so while it was a hit, it was an extremely flash-in-the-pan kind of hit.
Old 04-18-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Again, I'd say the plan was probably inititally to include both, perhaps in a 2-disc set, but the film dropped 80% in its second weekend, so while it was a hit, it was an extremely flash-in-the-pan kind of hit.
yeah but exactly because of this drop i would have thought that they would
try to milk the dvd release for all they can!
usually these titles tend to do well on dvd, so they really could have brought out a nice set! i guess like one previous poster said, these warner guys are just lazy to bring out good sets.
i mean just look at the dark knight extras!! one of the highest grossing pictures ever and what have they released on dvd!!??
Old 04-18-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

currently i can`t think of other studios pulling that crap!
if you look for example at fox`s taken dvd release they are having a barbones
single disc and a two disc with seamless branching and the same content as the bluray! so they, unlike those morons at warner are very well capable!
with a big title like f13, the least they could have put out is a special edition dvd!
Fox has put exclusive bonus content on their Blu-ray Discs...next weeks X-men 3 BD SE re-release has loads of special features that are not yet available on DVD in R1....Firefly: The Complete Series came to BD with a new additional episode commentary and a brand new reunion featurette.....for another example, Slumdog Millionaire had some BD bonus exclusives as well...

Universal has also put some exclusive bonus content on their BDs....Role Models had "over 15 Blu-ray exclusive deleted scenes & alternate takes" for example....

Disney has put exclusive bonus content on theirs as well, including the recent "platinum" edition of Pinocchio....

What about the new BD of Star Trek TOS: S1 that is coming out in another 10 days from Paramount? It is going to have some exclusive content too...

Trust me, this is in no way defending Warner, their lack of full on lossless audio support in the past still has them on my shit list, though they are slowly working their way off of it the longer time goes by since a lossy release...just wanted to point out that Warner is not the ONLY studio doing this....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.