DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Sinful Dwarf: 3/30/09 from Severin Films (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/549596-sinful-dwarf-3-30-09-severin-films.html)

NoirFan 02-09-09 05:14 PM

The Sinful Dwarf: 3/30/09 from Severin Films

Fans of irredeemable 70's exploitation trash rejoice! From DVD Drive-In:

LOS ANGELES, CA, February 9, 2009 – Severin Films today announced the March 30th release of THE SINFUL DWARF, the infamous 1973 Danish-made/London-lensed shocker that has been called “perhaps the sleaziest film in EuroCult history.” Events surrounding this first ever North American DVD release are scheduled to include a rare theatrical screening at Austin’s Alamo Draft House on April 3rd, as well as national protests from various outraged Little People’s organizations. Severin’s restoration of the still-controversial movie was made possible by the recent discovery of a pristine 35mm print found hidden in a janitor’s closet at The Danish Film Institute.

“A young bride,” promised the original U.S. ads, “left alone to the lewd passions of an evil dwarf!” Former kiddie-show host Torben Bille stars in this EuroSleaze classic as a diminutive degenerate who imprisons drugged teenage runaways for use as sex slaves in the attic of his elderly alcoholic showgirl mother’s decrepit rooming house…and that’s just the first ten minutes. In their December 12th 1973 review, Variety condemned the film as “repulsive”, further declaring “Torben leers and lurches like a demented Bette Davis.” Over the past three-plus decades, the movie’s repellent international reputation was furthered by infrequent screenings of heavily censored fourth-generation bootleg videos as well as a recent viral campaign that shocked even the most jaded of fringe film bloggers. “Best. Plot. Ever.” wrote CinemaIsKing.com. “This whole movie delivers the goods!” while Mania.com raved, “A must-view. After all, can one really go through life without having seen a movie called THE SINFUL DWARF?”

“THE SINFUL DWARF is a towering achievement in graphic depravity,” says Carl Daft, co-founder and CEO of Severin Films. “With this release, Severin is officially going to Hell, and plans on taking as many EuroCult fans as we can with us.” As for the large-scale protests threatened by various Little People’s organizations, Daft is sanguine. “Clearly, THE SINFUL DWARF does not imply that all dwarves are pint-sized perverts with massive penchants for drug trafficking and sexual degeneracy. It would be like attacking Graham Greene for THE QUIET AMERICAN.”
This is truly an ugly, grimy piece of no-budget sleaze. Therefore, I'm sure it will have it's fair share of fans on this forum.

Mondo Kane 02-09-09 05:29 PM

re: The Sinful Dwarf: 3/30/09 from Severin Films

Nice promotion:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-PQV57S7I-s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-PQV57S7I-s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LickTheABCs 02-09-09 05:35 PM

I wonder if this will have the hardcore version on it that I had imported from Diabolik.. If so, awesome news.

NoirFan 02-09-09 06:05 PM

You gotta love a video store with it's own Jean Rollin section.

jrsl76 02-10-09 10:46 AM

There will be 2 releases - The "Clean" version and the hardcore version. Both use the fully remastered footage although from my understanding, the hardcore footage has not been restored. Also, the release date is actually 3/31. It's an awesome movie, btw.

Tenacious D 02-10-09 12:01 PM

Thanks for posting that Mondo Kane. That was amusing!

Quatermass 02-10-09 01:01 PM

Sounds good. By the way, you have the release date as 3/3 in the thread title and it says 3/30 in the story.

LickTheABCs 02-10-09 01:16 PM

http://www.severin-films.com/pix/product/SEV1149.jpg

I'm glad they're releasing the hardcore version. Depending on the extras I might ditch the import.

SPRBD 02-10-09 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by jrsl76 (Post 9256719)
There will be 2 releases - The "Clean" version and the hardcore version. Both use the fully remastered footage although from my understanding, the hardcore footage has not been restored. Also, the release date is actually 3/31. It's an awesome movie, btw.

I'm sick of this. Hasn't Severin ever heard of seemless branching?

jrsl76 02-11-09 08:15 AM

They have to do this in 2 editions as Ryko/Warners has recently put the kibosh on anything to do with hardcore. It caused the old edition of Malabimba to go out of print and caused problems for Synapse, Blue Underground and others as well. Severin will probably have the one version where it can be sold at brick and mortars and the hardcore version will probably only be available at a few places online. Not ideal I agree and I'd prefer a 2 disc set with both versions which would save me $10 or so additional, but in this case I do understand.

dullboy 02-11-09 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by jrsl76 (Post 9258929)
They have to do this in 2 editions as Ryko/Warners has recently put the kibosh on anything to do with hardcore. It caused the old edition of Malabimba to go out of print and caused problems for Synapse, Blue Underground and others as well. Severin will probably have the one version where it can be sold at brick and mortars and the hardcore version will probably only be available at a few places online. Not ideal I agree and I'd prefer a 2 disc set with both versions which would save me $10 or so additional, but in this case I do understand.

All that is understandable, but when they nix the extras on the hardcore version, essentially forcing fans to purchase both editions, I cry horseshit. Severin did this with Emanuelle Around the World and Blue Underground did it with 99 Women. Beast in Space had different extras on both releases. I don't know if there will be any differences on these Sinful Dwarf discs yet (other than the cut of the film) because there hasn't been any word from Marc Morris...and I'm thinking it's being kept mum in order to avoid early retaliation.

Giles 02-12-09 10:53 AM

Re: The Sinful Dwarf: 3/30/09 from Severin Films

will there be two versions? cause I have not seen any indications from Severin's website and Diabolik's listing? What is the running for the hardcore version?

dullboy 02-12-09 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9261981)
will there be two versions? cause I have not seen any indications from Severin's website and Diabolik's listing?

Read through this thread here: http://www.cultmovieforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=15273
This is Marc Morris' forum, who runs Nucleus Films in the UK, and also works for Severin.

Giles 02-12-09 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by dullboy (Post 9262080)
Read through this thread here: http://www.cultmovieforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=15273
This is Marc Morris' forum, who runs Nucleus Films in the UK, and also works for Severin.

much thanks. (woo-hoo another website to kill time on :D )

NoirFan 03-17-09 06:34 PM

DVD Drive-In review

asianxcore 04-04-09 03:00 PM

So what version does everyone suggest to get?

Import the 2-Disc Edition with the Hardcore Footage or get the new Severin Films release. Does the Severin Release have a better transfer as far as the International Cut goes?

Giles 04-06-09 09:08 AM

what's the catalog # of the two versions? I got my supposed hardcore version from TLA, but I don't want to open til I know it's the right version, no where on the product does it state it's the alternate version.

dullboy 04-06-09 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9371239)
what's the catalog # of the two versions? I got my supposed hardcore version from TLA, but I don't want to open til I know it's the right version, no where on the product does it state it's the alternate version.

Giles, it's not the hardcore version. Don't open it. Send it back for a refund. The hardcore version isn't available yet...no distributor.

Giles 04-06-09 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by dullboy (Post 9371432)
Giles, it's not the hardcore version. Don't open it. Send it back for a refund. The hardcore version isn't available yet...no distributor.

oooh ... thanks for the info.

Mondo Kane 04-06-09 11:54 AM

After seeing the softcore cut, I'm very much interested in seeing the hardcore version. Possible blind-buy whenever it finds a distributor.

Solid Snake 04-06-09 12:05 PM

what does the hardcore cut have?

Giles 04-06-09 12:19 PM

more graphic sex ?? :rimshot:

actually have no idea.

Solid Snake 04-06-09 12:21 PM

I'm not interested in the film but one would've thought the film was graphic as is. Guess not...

dullboy 04-06-09 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9371621)
what does the hardcore cut have?

The hardcore cut runs about 2 minutes longer with sex from the actual actors (not stand-ins or out-sourced inserts).

Giles 04-21-09 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by dullboy (Post 9371432)

I'm fucking angry at TLA, they wont take it back because it's not defective. And because I was wrong in assuming it was the harder cut, rumoured from another website, I now have to sell the disc through Amazon Marketplace.

Fuck you TLA - I'm not ordering anything from them anymore