Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How likely is a Complete Series box of Battlestar Galactica?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I caught the first few episodes of this and really enjoyed them but never got any of the DVDs. Now that the show is almost over, with the series finale in March and the final tv-movie to air in June, I'm thinking I should just wait and get a Complete Series boxset if they'll release it. I'm just wondering what are the chances that will happen? I know it's kinda early, but have there been any rumors? I have not been following the show at all since it first premiered. Shameful, I know...
Old 02-05-09, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How likely is a Complete Series box of Battlestar Galactica?

I'd bet my house it will happen, rumours have it as being the first Blu-Ray Complete Series (that lasted longer then a season), and I don't see them releasing a Complete Series Blu-Ray without a Complete Series DVD
Old 02-05-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Absent a civilization-ending calamity beforehand, it's a certainty. The only question is timing.
Old 02-05-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj713
I caught the first few episodes of this and really enjoyed them but never got any of the DVDs. Now that the show is almost over, with the series finale in March and the final tv-movie to air in June, I'm thinking I should just wait and get a Complete Series boxset if they'll release it. I'm just wondering what are the chances that will happen? I know it's kinda early, but have there been any rumors? I have not been following the show at all since it first premiered. Shameful, I know...
"final tv-movie to air in June"...you probably heard about the spin-off/prequel series "Caprica" which is going to start with a full-length movie premier on SciFi in April. After March 20 the series (BSG) is done.

There will be a complete series, but it won't be for awhile. First they will release Season 4.5 separately, which may not show up until around Christmas or early next year when "Caprica" starts. I would guess the earliest you will see a complete set will be around Christmas 2010. Probably around the time Caprica Season 1 is released on dvd.
Old 02-06-09, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by dino88
"final tv-movie to air in June"...you probably heard about the spin-off/prequel series "Caprica" which is going to start with a full-length movie premier on SciFi in April. After March 20 the series (BSG) is done.
He probably means "Battlestar Galactica: The Plan", which just finished principal photography (or so a friend who reads the right blogs tells me). That probably wraps the series, unless they think of other Razor-type movies to make.

Caprica debuts on DVD (not broadcast) this April 21st, followed by the regular series in 2010:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Cap...ase-Date/11259
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Cap...-Release/11265
Old 02-06-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the sky blue?
Old 02-06-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Right, "The Plan" is set during seasons 1/2 of BSG and is supposed to explain what the Cylons were up to then.

Caprica is set about 50 years before BSG and is a different series (though a spinoff).

There was initially plans to do three TV movies when "The Plan" was pitched, but it got cut to one. While Ron Moore has said that the main BSG story will be done at the end of this season, he is open to "side stories" being told like "Razor" and "The Plan". They even created digital image files of the CIC and other sets so they can do them greenscreen style.
Old 02-06-09, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be a complete series, but it won't be for awhile. First they will release Season 4.5 separately, which may not show up until around Christmas or early next year when "Caprica" starts. I would guess the earliest you will see a complete set will be around Christmas 2010. Probably around the time Caprica Season 1 is released on dvd.
It's not without precedent for a Complete Series to come out the same time as the last season. That happened with Jericho. So although it will probably happen like you said, I wouldn't count it out for holiday season 2009, or maybe even Spring 2010 as cross-promotion when Caprica starts to air.
Old 02-20-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, I was way off with my prediction.

The complete series set has just been confirmed w/a July 28th release date. This is for the Blu-ray release, but they are also assuming a SD release for the same date. They are also predicting a 4/21 release date for S4.5, which is the street date for the Caprica pilot.

Here's the source: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...e-Series/11368

Since this is such a fan-driven show, I'm hoping any extras in the complete set are available separately for those of us that bought each season set.

Last edited by dino88; 02-20-09 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-20-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I was way off with my prediction.

The complete series set has just been confirmed w/a July 28th release date. This is for the Blu-ray release, but they are also assuming a SD release for the same date.

Here's the source: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...e-Series/11368
Oh my.
Old 04-21-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, some troubling news. TV Shows on DVD has the details on the Complete Series set:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...e-Series/11746

It sound like this won't include The Plan, in which case how can this be called a Complete Series set?