DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Blockbuster exclusives??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/549086-blockbuster-exclusives.html)

Maxflier 02-02-09 08:36 AM

Blockbuster exclusives???
 
I rented a movie from Blockbuster the other night and on the case it said Blockbuster exclusive. How exactly is it exclusive to them? What is stopping Hollywood Video or any other rental joint from walking into Best Buy, Wal*Mart or wherever and buying a copy to rent out to people?

canaryfarmer 02-02-09 08:48 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
Weinstein (Genius Productions) have a contract with them. I guess Hollywood or some other rental store could gank a copy, but Blockbuster has exclusive rental distribution rights, I believe.

edit--From wikipedia: "Blockbuster has been the exclusive rental chain for The Weinstein Company movies since January 1, 2007, although due to the First Sale Doctrine, other rental stores can still rent DVDs released by The Weinstein Company."

Giles 02-02-09 08:49 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
no one is stopping them, since there's an IFC/Blockbuster deal. Netflix I assume, had to purchase 'Boy A' for me to rent that from them since there's no Blockbuster near me to rent it from.

OldBoy 02-02-09 08:51 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
BBV exclusives are such a rip. they tend to lose all to most of the special features on a retail version. they usually just have the movie and it sucks!

Maxflier 02-02-09 09:07 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer (Post 9239065)
Weinstein (Genius Productions) have a contract with them. I guess Hollywood or some other rental store could gank a copy, but Blockbuster has exclusive distribution rights, I believe.

edit--From wikipedia: "Blockbuster has been the exclusive rental chain for The Weinstein Company movies since January 1, 2007, although due to the First Sale Doctrine, other rental stores can still rent DVDs released by The Weinstein Company."

So Weinstein movies are exclusive to Blockbuster, but you can rent them from anywhere...
Why even bother having a contract with Blockbuster?

SLASHFACE 02-02-09 10:06 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
Because no one else carries them in their store! Can you say "exclusive"?

man*machine 02-02-09 10:18 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9239071)
BBV exclusives are such a rip. they tend to lose all to most of the special features on a retail version. they usually just have the movie and it sucks!


There are instances where the BBV exclusive rental versions have features not on any of the retail versions. The two GRINDHOUSE films at BBV both had a featurette not on the retail editions available anywhere else, and the BBV rental version of Stuart Gordon's STUCK has all the extras that were on the Blu-Ray, but were nowhere to be found on the regular retail edition.

Those are the only three I picked up.

Maxflier 02-02-09 10:22 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 

Originally Posted by SLASHFACE (Post 9239257)
Because no one else carries them in their store! Can you say "exclusive"?


Best Buy must not have gotten the memo, because I could walk in there right now and get a copy. I guess you and I have different definitions of the word "exclusive".

man*machine 02-02-09 10:34 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 9239305)
Best Buy must not have gotten the memo, because I could walk in there right now and get a copy. I guess you and I have different definitions of the word "exclusive".

The deal with Blockbuster is an exclusive rental arrangement only. The titles can be purchased at retail anywhere, including Best Buy, as you said. So it's still somewhat of an "exclusive", but just not a 100% one. Ha!

As far as rentals go, other rental stores can still acquire the titles to rent if they want to, but they have to get them at retail or by other means and don't get the usual acquisition discounts that they normally would. That's why on Netflix, most new Weinstein titles have a "Very Long Wait". Netflix doesn't acquire as many as they normally would because the discs cost them a lot more since they can't get them through the usual distribution means.

Torchur317 02-02-09 10:54 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9239071)
BBV exclusives are such a rip.

Yeah I agree they usually suck but sometimes they are decent....

tylergfoster 02-02-09 11:03 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 9239044)
I rented a movie from Blockbuster the other night and on the case it said Blockbuster exclusive. How exactly is it exclusive to them? What is stopping Hollywood Video or any other rental joint from walking into Best Buy, Wal*Mart or wherever and buying a copy to rent out to people?

As someone else mentioned, the answer is nothing whatsoever. Most Hollywood Videos in the area do in fact run over to a retailer and buy at least one or two copies of Weinstein Co. releases (at least, anything that will be popular) so they have some to rent out.

milo bloom 02-02-09 11:03 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
It usually refers to just extras, and since they always sell their extra DVDs after a while, you can just purchase them outright. My brother in law's collection is mostly Blockbuster PV's, and I see them in used DVD shops all the time.

abintra 02-02-09 01:40 PM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
Not sure if this is a complete list or not but Blockbuster lists their exclusives here.

Texan26 02-02-09 03:18 PM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
Redbox usually does not get the Blockbuster exclusives. Netflix is hit or miss. Most of the time it automatically goes to very long wait on the first day of it's release.

LosingMyMind 02-02-09 05:09 PM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
Blockbuster exclusive dvds someimes get special features
that are not on the retail version.

Hannibal Rising
Rob Zombie's Halloween
Planet Terror
Death Proof
Factory Girl
Superhero Movie
The Mist
1408
Awake

These titles all include content exclusive to blockbuster.

dmkb 02-02-09 05:12 PM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
And pathologically lame cover art...


Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9239071)
BBV exclusives are such a rip. they tend to lose all to most of the special features on a retail version. they usually just have the movie and it sucks!


Texan26 02-02-09 08:27 PM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
Netflix did not send me Zack and Miri Make a Porno today. It was #1 on my queue. Redbox will not have it. It is a Blockbuster exclusive. :(

lee_hero 02-02-09 08:32 PM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind (Post 9240493)
Blockbuster exclusive dvds someimes get special features
that are not on the retail version.

Rob Zombie's Halloween
Planet Terror
Death Proof
The Mist

These titles all include content exclusive to blockbuster.


Does anyone know the Blockbuster exclusive special features on these?

Torchur317 02-02-09 08:50 PM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
None of them are worth skipping the normal release or even double dipping IMO....

xage 02-03-09 01:26 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
Blockbuster Exclusives that I have:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e00/EDBB01.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/AVP_2004.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/TF_BLOCK.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../IR_BBUS00.jpg

SLASHFACE 02-03-09 08:16 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
Most of the "Big" titles like The Mist or Halloween are available to buy at any retailer on street date (which have a "for sale only" disclaimer on the DVD itself), but the lesser ones usually aren't available for sale for at least a few months after BB gets them for rental. As far as rentals go, I've never seen any Weinstein titles available for rent at Holywood or Movie Gallery.

xage 02-03-09 09:31 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
The Gridnhouse films : Death Proof and Planet Terror were available nationwide as well.

man*machine 02-03-09 10:03 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 

Originally Posted by SLASHFACE (Post 9241540)
Most of the "Big" titles like The Mist or Halloween are available to buy at any retailer on street date (which have a "for sale only" disclaimer on the DVD itself), but the lesser ones usually aren't available for sale for at least a few months after BB gets them for rental.

That's not entirely correct. The lesser titles may not be carried at most B&M stores at the time of the BBV rental release, but that's just because most B&M's don't carry a lot of lesser titles in-store. You can readily buy any Weinstein release at on-line retailers day-and-date with the BBV rental release.

The Monkees 02-03-09 11:44 AM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
I heard that only Blockbuster could get the rentals from their distribution company and if other stores, like Hollywood, couldn't. But they could buy copies from other places for rental or something like that.

OldBoy 02-03-09 02:48 PM

Re: Blockbuster exclusives???
 
so does anyone know if the "Zack and Miri" BBV has all the rest of the special features (on other retail versions) as well as the inclusion of that part 2?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.