Reload this Page >

Blockbuster exclusives???

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blockbuster exclusives???

Old 08-13-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts
Re: Blockbuster exclusives???

You're misinformed and making an incorrect statement.
Taken Is not a BBV exclusive, it is a FOX rental exclusive with no extra features and only the theatrical cut.

Fox and one other studio have started doing this on their own decision, nothing to do with BBV.

Also you bought It without looking at it?

Last edited by whotony; 08-13-09 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Soul Men" is a Blockbuster Exclusive and has Deleted Scenes, while the standard release has no Deleted Scenes. However, the Exclusive gets rid of all the other special features on the disc other than the commentary. I bought it in the 3 for $20 sale and after realizing this, exchanged it for something else ("Doubt").
Old 08-16-09, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
You're misinformed and making an incorrect statement.
Taken Is not a BBV exclusive, it is a FOX rental exclusive with no extra features and only the theatrical cut.

Fox and one other studio have started doing this on their own decision, nothing to do with BBV.

Also you bought It without looking at it?
I wouldn't say I bought it without looking at it. I saw the cover was exactly the same as it is everywhere else and didn't think it was necessary to check if it said extended cut on it or not because I figured there were only two versions of the movie: the one disc and the two disc.
Old 08-18-09, 01:23 PM

IFC has arranged to release "Gommorah" and "A Christmas Tale" to retail via Criterion later this fall.

Both titles are currently rental-only at Blockbuster.

Hopefully this bodes well for future releases making their way to the Criterion Collection.
Old 08-18-09, 06:12 PM
Cool New Member

The blockbuster exclusive deal is getting ready to end just to give everyone a heads up. because of the number that blockbuster had to buy of each title and the excessive over stock and not being able to sell them through pv a week later they are canceling the deal. i work in the video rental industry and this was just passed down through corperate.
Old 09-11-09, 12:27 AM

So are all of Fox's releases Rental Exclusives now? I bought Miss March from a store probably 4 weeks before retail and it was the Rental Exclusive on the box but had everything the retail had. Just curious if they are only doing select titles or if this is now the standard and we can expect Ice Age 3, Aliens in the Attic and so on to be stripped down versions.
Old 09-11-09, 08:14 AM
Banned

I know My Bloody Valentine 3D was only available to rent in 3D through Blockbuster. Coroline might have been the same (not 100% sure). The shitty part about that is they ran out of the 3D glasses very quickly so after about two weeks you could no longer see it in 3D and if you buy a used copy you cant use the 3D side either (unless you have the proper 3D glasses). Lame. I honestly hate 3D (gives me a headache) so I'll probably buy these used from Hollywood Video without the 3D version on the disc. I'll have to double check on the Coroline though because I know the Red Box rental version had both the 2D & 3D version (flipper disc).