DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   VHS Made Horror Movies Awesome (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/549017-vhs-made-horror-movies-awesome.html)

american-pie92 02-01-09 09:43 AM

VHS Made Horror Movies Awesome

I don't know why but whenever I watch a horror movie on a VHS I love it better. Not for all movies though, just horror. I guess the quality of them make the film more gritty and 80's like. And plus can you imagine watching "The Ring" on DVD I have a VHS copy and a DVD copy. Watched both, just not the same atmosphere and effect on DVD.

DVD's have a much sharper and well Blu-Ray is even nicer but horror has been known to be gritty and stuff and it just feels fun and a better experience to watch horror movies (especially old ones, 70's-90's) on VHS. Does anyone else feel this way?

Travis McClain 02-01-09 02:26 PM

Re: VHS Made Horror Movies Awesome

I still think old school country music sounds better on cassette than CD, if that helps.

american-pie92 02-01-09 02:44 PM

same purpose pretty much. The version sounds best in its original format.

TomOpus 02-01-09 04:03 PM

While I agree with your observation that atmosphere lends itself well to horror movies, there are some other issues at hand. Many of the old VHS versions were either cut or the R-rated version. Also they were usually not in the correct OAR. The recent re-release of "My Bloody Valentine" is a case in point. Of course there have been instances where the old VHS was the uncut version.

I'm one that also enjoys the extras (when done right) on DVDs. Plus DVDs don't wear out with repeated viewings. :)

Kurt D 02-01-09 04:11 PM

I like the nostalgic idea more than the practice (excepting Ringu, of course - a skeevy dupe is the only way to watch that). OAR, extras and unrated editions ^ tip the scale for me, too.

However, VHS <i>made</i> horror the huge business it is today.

Once movies are downloaded straight into our brains we'll be nostalgic for DVD too.

JackBurton 02-01-09 05:55 PM

I just watched Terror in the Aisles today on VHS. Its the first VHS I've watched in a long time. I don't mind it for movies that are not available on DVD, but its not my preferred format for viewing.

Although, with the smaller distributors dropping like flies, the likelihood that some of these films will make it to dvd is dwindling.

american-pie92 02-02-09 08:13 AM

oh yea i love DVD its just every now and then it is great just to sit down and a good ol Horror movie in its original format.

paradicelost 02-03-09 03:05 PM

When it comes to horror and VHS, the only thing I really miss is going into the video store(in 83-84) and seeing all the horror films in those huge boxes, I could never rent them since i was only eight but thankfully cable gave me a fix on a lot of horror films. I know Full Moon vhs will always hold a big place in my heart. We'd rent movies every saturday when i was 13 or so and after seeing Puppet Master 2 if it had the Full Moon on the box i would rent it.

ctyankee 02-03-09 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by american-pie92 (Post 9239017)
oh yea i love DVD its just every now and then it is great just to sit down and a good ol Horror movie in its original format.

Well, that would be film.

critterdvd 02-03-09 03:44 PM

When I was in middle school and high school there was a family-owned used VHS store about a block from my home, that sold like ex-rentals and stuff for dirt cheap. I ended up working their from about 14 till I graduated High School so over the years I racked up a rather large collection.

About a year ago I went through and sold/gave away most of my collection, but found myself holding onto a pretty large selection of the horror, sci-fi, and fantasy films. Some of them are not on DVD and some of them I wouldn't pay the extra money to own on DVD. But at the same time I kept them because there is just something about watching horror or sci-fi (especially the low-budget) stuff on a tape, probably has to do with the grindhouse quality of the crappy video/sound.

But when I read this thread I popped in "Chud 2" and "Children of the Corn" on VHS on my old 27inch console TV :D

bloopbleep 02-03-09 04:13 PM

I had to watch a movie for a college class I am taking at the college library, the movie I had to watch was on vhs only, first time I watched a vhs tape in a decade and you know what? it seemed as good as a dvd. maybe we have been had all these years just to buy the same stuff over and over again. now it`s blu-ray to replace dvd, then something will replace blu-ray.