Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

*sighs* No Country For Old Men: 3 Disc Collector's Edition (4-7-2009)!!!!!!!!!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-27-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for fuck sake...i haven't even watched the dvd i have yet.
Old 01-27-09, 05:14 PM
Banned

Re: *sighs* No Country For Old Men: 3 Disc Collector's Edition (4-7-2009)!!!!!!!!!

I just got the R2 bout a month ago. Still if this has commentary I may pick it up but I do hate me some digital copies so I dunno.
Old 01-27-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: *sighs* No Country For Old Men: 3 Disc Collector's Edition (4-7-2009)!!!!!!!!!

Not surprised since the film was so well received....
Then again,Coen brothers never seem to do enough features for even a one disc....
I'm assuming disc 3 is just a lame digital copy but I'm looking forward to new stuff....
Maybe it will have an actual ending to the film now? lol
Old 01-27-09, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's a shitty cover...why the fuck does anyone give a damn about the digital copy?!? Just leave it out of the cover art!!!
Old 01-27-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's a list of all the new features (it will also incl. old extras as well):

ABC "Popcorn" Video
Channel 4 News -- Joel And Ethan Coen Appearance
Lunch With David Poland -- IKLIPZ -- Javier Bardem And Josh Brolin Interview
WNBC Reel Talk With Lyons & Bailes -- Josh Brolin
LA WGAW Q & A Panel
Six Additional Audio Interviews
Josh Brolin's Unauthorized Behind-The-Scenes
Q & A With Joel And Ethan Coen, Roger Deakins And The Sound And Production Design Crews
Charlie Rose Featuring Joel And Ethan Coen, Josh Brolin And Javier Bardem
EW.com "Just A Minute...With Javier Bardem"
VARIETY Screening Series Q & A
Instore Appearance With Javier Bardem And Josh Brolin
Digital Copy

So, that's a pass for me. Still no commentary. Yes, the 3rd disc is the dig.copy. Nearly all of the new extras are just publicity videos that aired on television during oscar season. I wasn't interested in watching it for free then, definitely not double-dipping to see it now.

This has to be one of the worst "collector's editions" in awhile, esp. one touting 3 discs. I have to assume that the Coen Brothers have nothing to do with this new release, because nearly all of the new extras are publicly owned.

Last edited by dino88; 01-27-09 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
Still no commentary.
Did you really expect one?
They have only done one for any of their films.... ("The Man who wasn't There")
Old 01-27-09, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
Here's a list of all the new features

ABC "Popcorn" Video
Channel 4 News -- Joel And Ethan Coen Appearance
Lunch With David Poland -- IKLIPZ -- Javier Bardem And Josh Brolin Interview
WNBC Reel Talk With Lyons & Bailes -- Josh Brolin
LA WGAW Q & A Panel
Six Additional Audio Interviews
Josh Brolin's Unauthorized Behind-The-Scenes
Q & A With Joel And Ethan Coen, Roger Deakins And The Sound And Production Design Crews
Charlie Rose Featuring Joel And Ethan Coen, Josh Brolin And Javier Bardem
EW.com "Just A Minute...With Javier Bardem"
VARIETY Screening Series Q & A
Instore Appearance With Javier Bardem And Josh Brolin
Well I'm impressed that's a decent amount of stuff for a Coen brothers film....
But they all look like short/throw away stuff, hopefully I'm wrong....
Old 01-27-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Torchur317
Did you really expect one?
They have only done one for any of their films.... ("The Man who wasn't There")
When a dvd is being marketed as a "3 Disc Collector's Edition" I don't think expecting a commentary is too far fetched.
Old 01-27-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

I wished they'd show half the love for Raising Arizona that they showed to this movie.
Old 01-27-09, 06:13 PM
Banned

I actually like those features. The audio interviews in particular have my interest peaked. Those are probably the closest things we will get to a commentary. Hopefully these are all lengthy interviews. They sound like they may be.
Old 01-27-09, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the movie but no commentary = no double dip.
Old 01-27-09, 07:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

you guys bitchin and moaning about a digital copy...for goodness sakes...get over it. it is the new thing and doesn't look to be going away. deal and move on. so sick about all these posts about the "shitty digital copy...pass!".

as for me...this is a must. more stuff for such a great movie is welcomed, no matter what it is.
Old 01-27-09, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I wished they'd show half the love for Raising Arizona that they showed to this movie.
I second that....been waiting for a special edition which doesn't seen to be coming.
Old 01-27-09, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
you guys bitchin and moaning about a digital copy...for goodness sakes...get over it. it is the new thing and doesn't look to be going away. deal and move on. so sick about all these posts about the "shitty digital copy...pass!".

as for me...this is a must. more stuff for such a great movie is welcomed, no matter what it is.
While the digital copies arent going away, they are a waste of disc as the redemption code or whatever on them usually expire in about a year. I personally don't know one person who uses these anyway.

Back to the 2 Disc Collectors Edition + Digital Copy.... I already own the blu-ray so without a commentary track I am not interested in anything else they would put on there.
Old 01-27-09, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DiedLaughing
While the digital copies arent going away, they are a waste of disc as the redemption code or whatever on them usually expire in about a year. I personally don't know one person who uses these anyway.

Back to the 2 Disc Collectors Edition + Digital Copy.... I already own the blu-ray so without a commentary track I am not interested in anything else they would put on there.
It's all just another marketing ploy. Similar to every dvd these days having the massive "UNRATED...SERIOUSLY MASSIVELY UNRATED....THE YOU'LL SEE TITS UNRATED VERSION" taking up most of the front cover.
By adding this digital copy they can now advertise 3 discs and fool some buyers into thinking they are getting more than they really are.
Old 01-27-09, 09:16 PM

I wouldn't mind the digital copy if this didn't have a huge obnoxious banner across the front ruining what would be a pretty neat cover without it.
Old 01-27-09, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
that's a shitty cover...why the fuck does anyone give a damn about the digital copy?!? Just leave it out of the cover art!!!
Completely agree. They are ruining my collection by making the cover art complete crap!!!
Old 01-27-09, 11:17 PM

i'll be picking this up. did not get the one disc release
Old 01-27-09, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bdubby
i'll be picking this up. did not get the one disc release
Same here. I kept putting it off and never got to it. Might as well wait a bit longer and just pick this up.
Old 01-27-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought the one disc for $5 yesterday. I think I'll netflix the second disc of this and just keep my version.

= J
Old 01-28-09, 12:04 AM

good thing i didn't buy the one disc version
Old 01-28-09, 12:26 AM

Hmm...think I'll pass on this and stick with the single disc version.
Old 01-28-09, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This was one of my favorite movies of last year and I already own the first release and aside from being relatively featureless I'm happy with it.

As for this release...

Those features are actually a bit lame. A commentary track would have been amazing but eh. The DIGITAL COPY sprawled across the front is pretty damn ugly. I really think they had a good opportunity here to release a nice set but botched it...

...I will probably be getting it...
Old 01-28-09, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for digital copies, they need to do them like Disney is on BD -- a slightly pricier version with the DC, and a cheaper version without. I really want A Nightmare Before Christmas on BD, but they decided on this with/without policy after releasing NBC, and it will take me awhile to work my energy up to fork over the $10 premium.

And yeah, the Coen Brothers have only the one commentary to their name. Doesn't matter how special the Special Edition is or how much they're involved, never expect them to record one and if by some miracle they do, just take it as a special occasion.
Old 01-28-09, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'd settle for an anamorphic widescreen barebones edition - although an SE would be great.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.