DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Epic Movie - Directors Commentary (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/548301-epic-movie-directors-commentary.html)

prudoff 01-21-09 01:03 AM

Epic Movie - Directors Commentary

I just bought the Epic Movie DVD (the PG-13-Rated version) and gave a quick listen to bits and pieces of the directors commentary. Nothing they spoke about had anything to do with the action on-screen, or the movie at all! I'll admit that I haven't listened to the whole thing, but I have to wonder: did Fox put the wrong track on there (like for some other movie the two guys did) or were the directors trying to be funny? And before you criticize me for buying such a bad movie, let me just defend myself by saying that I adore Jayma Mays and I got it for under $5 brand new :-)

Gunde 01-21-09 01:40 AM

Re: Epic Movie - Directors Commentary

It's probably just because they are both braindead

LosingMyMind 01-21-09 01:50 AM

I bought it just for Crispin Glover and he didn't disappoint. I Can't wait to see what he does in Alice in Wonderland :up:

manicsounds 01-21-09 03:26 AM

Were you actually wanting some insight for that film??

From the DVDTalk review:

I'm sure these two financially successful filmmakers think they are clever, but this Andy Kaufman-like track, in which they talk about a film that you aren't watching, is a dreadful bore. It would have been a nice joke for a few minutes, but to keep it up for the whole film was a serious mistake.

riotinmyskull 01-21-09 06:16 AM

wait. not only do people buy movies by these 2 pieces of shit but they actually WANT to listen to their commentaries????

JiM T 01-21-09 12:47 PM

After picking up "Date Movie" for .99 for some reason, I took the time to look into one of the commentaries. It featured disgruntled film critics, who hated the movie - and it was, by far, BY FAR, the best thing about the whole "Date Movie" experience. A few guys just going off on it for the entire running time, and justifiably so. If "Epic Movie" and all the others had continued this feature, (and if I could get them for .99 or less,) I'd be tempted to look into those as well.

Giles 01-21-09 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by JiM T (Post 9213678)
After picking up "Date Movie" for .99 for some reason, I took the time to look into one of the commentaries. It featured disgruntled film critics, who hated the movie - and it was, by far, BY FAR, the best thing about the whole "Date Movie" experience. A few guys just going off on it for the entire running time, and justifiably so. If "Epic Movie" and all the others had continued this feature, (and if I could get them for .99 or less,) I'd be tempted to look into those as well.

I agree, more films of this niche film genre need an 'anti-commentary' track of this kind.

E. Honda 01-22-09 05:56 AM

The two retards who made this film aren't film makers or directors in any sense of those terms. Their movies aren't parody, they are just shameless rip-offs and outright plagiarism. They are the only people on earth that think bestiality, necrophilia, homosexuality, and late-term abortion are funny, since those have been the basis for "jokes" in their films. After the epic failure that was Disaster Movie, I hope to God that no studio will finance them or their garbage ever again.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 01-22-09 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by E. Honda (Post 9215406)
they are just shameless rip-offs and outright plagiarism.

Yes, because the movies they're taking stuff from put those ideas and situations into film for the very first time.

Travis McClain 01-22-09 12:45 PM

Individual taste is an entirely subjective experience, so I'll forgo knocking the OP for buying the DVD. My wife and I saw this in the theater with my cousin, who thought it looked funny. She was almost 12 at the time and even she found it disappointing. Anyway, I can entirely understand wanting the commentary experience for even mediocre films. Sometimes, you can learn things about the story they were trying to tell that can help re-contextualize the film and make it seem better.

I used to think that only great films deserved the all-out DVD treatment (commentary tracks, making-of's, etc.), but I've come to believe just about all films benefit from insightful features. Of course, finding truly insightful features has become increasingly difficult, but it still enhances the movie-watching experience for me.

chris_sc77 01-22-09 02:47 PM

I'd rather watch this than Paul Blartt: Mall Cop.

Corey31 01-22-09 03:04 PM

^^^ That makes 1 of us.

I'll take a bad Happy Madison Production over the Epic/Date/Disaster/Spartan Movies anyday. Of course we are all subject to our own opinions.

LosingMyMind 01-22-09 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Corey31 (Post 9216726)
^^^ That makes 1 of us.

I'll take a bad Happy Madison Production over the Epic/Date/Disaster/Spartan Movies anyday. Of course we are all subject to our own opinions.

You obviously missed my previous post about Crispin Glover being in Epic Movie. That automatically makes any movie watchable. :up:

Travis McClain 01-22-09 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind (Post 9216746)
You obviously missed my previous post about Crispin Glover being in Epic Movie. That automatically makes any movie watchable. :up:

Dude does absolutely nothing for me. I will never understand the cult-like following the guy has.

xNightfallx 01-22-09 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw (Post 9216978)
Dude does absolutely nothing for me. I will never understand the cult-like following the guy has.

He was in Back to the Future. That was in the 80's, and everything from the 80's is better than anything now. So people that like things from the 80's are cool as well. Retro is awesome.

(I'm kidding, but that's the way a lot of people really act.)

LosingMyMind 01-22-09 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by xNightfallx (Post 9217081)
He was in Back to the Future. That was in the 80's, and everything from the 80's is better than anything now. So people that like things from the 80's are cool as well. Retro is awesome.

(I'm kidding, but that's the way a lot of people really act.)

Actually Back to the Future, as much as I love it, is one of the titles I don't think about right away when I think of him.

He just picks some awesome roles and is fun to watch.

His performance as Grendel speaks volumes.

riotinmyskull 01-22-09 06:24 PM

check him out in FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 4, RIVER'S EDGE or even his small role in WILD AT HEART.

Jedi Master 33 01-22-09 06:38 PM

That's what happens when you buy movies like Epic Movie. Oh wait, it doesn't deserve to be called a movie. It doesn't even deserve to be called a piece of ****.

Rockmjd23 01-22-09 07:57 PM

Geeze I know the movie is pretty crappy but you guys didn't have to ban the OP because of it!

JJE-187 01-23-09 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 9217334)
Geeze I know the movie is pretty crappy but you guys didn't have to ban the OP because of it!

I guess I better not let anyone here now i own all of there films on DVD

riotinmyskull 01-23-09 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by JJE-187 (Post 9217781)
I guess I better not let anyone here now i own all of there films on DVD

get the pitchforks and torches!!!!!!!!!

LosingMyMind 01-23-09 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9217884)
get the pitchforks and torches!!!!!!!!!

What about the stones?

Gizmo 01-23-09 06:30 PM

Get the condoms!!!

tylergfoster 01-24-09 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by E. Honda (Post 9215406)
They are the only people on earth that think bestiality, necrophilia, homosexuality, and late-term abortion are funny.

I don't think Friedberg/Seltzer's movies are funny, but either nothing is sacred or everything is sacred. There's really no picking and choosing.

whotony 01-24-09 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 9217334)

must be a deleted post
that got it done.