Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume IX

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume IX

Old 01-30-09, 12:44 PM
Banned

Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume IX

Originally Posted by sg2386 View Post
agreed! another awesome set for 2009.

Also looking forward to the Best of SNME, that looks like another must have.

Great news, according to KOCH's website, WWE are releasing a 3 disc Randy Savage DVD called: MACHO MADNESS: THE ULTIMATE RANDY SAVAGE COLLECTION releasing on June 9.

Usually KOCH doesn't make mistakes, but sounds great!
I'm surprised that WWE is releasing this Savage set. They also had it on schedule last year, but it was later nixed by Vince. I would love if they got Savage to participate.
Old 01-30-09, 02:31 PM

Oh Yeah! DIG IT!

Lets hope they follow through with the Macho Man release!
Old 01-30-09, 02:34 PM

Well I hope that WWE can ignore that Sting is in TNA, and give him his long over due DVD set.
Old 01-30-09, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dillkid View Post
Well I hope that WWE can ignore that Sting is in TNA, and give him his long over due DVD set.
Actually that can wait until Sting retires. Both sides have said that when Sting is no longer affiliated with TNA, they'll work together for a career retrospective DVD release. It was mentioned that WWE was even thinking of inducting Sting to the Hall of Fame when that happens.
Old 01-30-09, 03:52 PM

I truely think Sting will have a match at WM before it is all said and done. I think the year he is inducted into the Hall of Fame........there will be a match with him against either Cena, HBK, HHH or Orton. Just my opinion.

And if the MACHO MADNESS: THE ULTIMATE RANDY SAVAGE COLLECTION really gets released, I want to know which store will do a bonus SLIMJIM w/ the DVD?

YEAH DIG IT...........
Old 01-30-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would be amazing if Sting had his final match not only in WWE but against someone like HBK or HHH, but I doubt he would do it, if only because it would be considered somewhat of an insult to his TNA fans, which of course consists of a lot of his old WCW fans. For him to never wrestle in WWE all these years and then have his last match there would be a bit of a diss, but nonetheless awesome.
Old 01-30-09, 04:30 PM

wow that 90s set looks awesome, must have for 90s fans, it gives to 90s fans what SNME gives to 80s fans

1 minor problem is owen-bret wrestlemania 10 is already on brets dvd
also no ecw, would of been nice to put a tazz match from his ecw title run on there, or rvd

even some wcw stuff, i have luger-hogan nitro match on a old tape, same with some other matches there and its nice to get them on dvd, there is some on there i always wanted to see like the hart-shawn first match they had at survivor series, lots of great classics

and i highly doubt that macho man dvd is real, until its confirmed by wwe and on more official sites i wouldnt get my hopes up

also can somebody post a small updated list on upcoming dvds, the release dates and stuff, i know the 90s and SNME dvds are coming but anything else besides them
Old 01-30-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The fact that the Macho Man dvd is listed on Koch's site seems pretty official to me. It's not like it is some "rasslin' newz" site reporting it-it's straight from the distributor.
Old 01-30-09, 05:50 PM

last year it was also on the list of upcoming dvds and then vince axed it, until there is confirmation from wwe itself and a match listing i wont get my hopes up
Old 01-30-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm aware of that, but was it ever on a distribution site, like Silvervision or Koch?
Old 01-30-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's just occurring to me, for a "Greatest Stars of the 90's DVD," how come there aren't any matches with Goldberg? He was a top draw in '98 and '99.
Old 01-30-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Greatest Stars of the 90's DVD looks really good but where's ECW & USWA?
What's up with WWE never putting any USWA matches on DVD?
I'm pretty sure they own it,right?
Old 01-30-09, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post

Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan
Madison Square Garden - November 30, 1991

-The FIRST...count it, FIRST match ever between Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan (unless I'm missing a house show). It's nice to see them start the 90's by showing the end of the 80's, which of course in the wrestling world didn't happen until around 1993.
Their first match was in Dayton, OH on 10/22/91, with Flair winning via countout. They had quite a few other house show matches before their MSG debut.
Old 01-30-09, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post
-The FIRST...count it, FIRST match ever between Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan (unless I'm missing a house show). It's nice to see them start the 90's by showing the end of the 80's, which of course in the wrestling world didn't happen until around 1993.
I don't have the best memory but I know that MSG wasn't their first match. In fact I think they had several matches before they brought the match to New York. I believe the first Flair/Hogan match was an unannounced dark match at a Superstars of Wrestling taping. Their second match was in San Francisco and then Los Angeles (I was there).
Old 01-30-09, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by shacmasta View Post
I'm in the same situation. Not sure why Time warner continues to hold out on 24/7, I thought it was only a matter of time when comcast picked it up.

As for the dvd's. I hope they release the other episodes. Whether it's a WWE.com exclusive, best buy or a worldwide release. I would just love to have them all.
I would gladly buy them all too. I stopped by Best Buy earlier today and saw they had sold some...the Roddy Piper/Terry Funk sets were all gone. I'm hoping they do well so we'll see more of these.
Old 01-30-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for people in Canada, i was at Best Buy earlier tonight and noticed they're also carrying the 3 exclusive Legends of Wrestling DVDs for $12 each, pretty great deal, and glad Canadian Best Buy's are carrying them as well. Also noticed they aren't US versions and have KOCH on the spine and a sticker on the front saying BEST BUY EXCLUSIVE.

I already see them on ebay from sellers having it for about $35 each. I highly doubt its going to be that rare.
Old 01-30-09, 11:00 PM

Can someone please post pics of the spines of the 6 legends dvds?
Old 01-30-09, 11:41 PM

why release bret-owen mania 10 when its already on brets dvd which most if not all of us have, and seeing how there are other bret/owen matches on the set why not showcase other 90s stars like tazz from ecw or goldberg from his streak run

great set but a couple minor flaws, i understand you cannot feature EVERY star and only make it "best of the best" but still why not showcase as much as they can instead of putting several matches on the same star
Old 01-31-09, 12:08 AM

i dont get all the sting talk, i think hes good but overrated, i havent watched much of his stuff from 80s, but his crow character from wcw was great but as a wrestler i never thought of him as great, good but not great

and why would he have his last match in wwe, he never went to wwe cause he knew vince would bury him like all the other "invasion" wcw guys, his whole career was outside of wwe, unless he sells out and vince see's a big buyrate for him and gives him loads of cash i dont see him wrestling his final match in wwe
Old 01-31-09, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chuckliddell View Post
why release bret-owen mania 10 when its already on brets dvd which most if not all of us have, and seeing how there are other bret/owen matches on the set why not showcase other 90s stars like tazz from ecw or goldberg from his streak run

great set but a couple minor flaws, i understand you cannot feature EVERY star and only make it "best of the best" but still why not showcase as much as they can instead of putting several matches on the same star
It is impossible to please each and every prospective buyer out there. They put out so many different dvd's that there will always be repeated matches. I really don't understand why you keep acting surprised. It's not like they can just assume that everyone interested in each dvd they put out already owns every one that came before it. The fact is, Bret and Owen at Mania X was one of the best matches of that decade (imo), and not including it on a release titled "best wrestlers of the 90's" would be silly. It's obvious that titles like this and the 80's one before this are aimed at more of a broader audience than a lot of their normal releases. Frankly, I am a bit surprised and impressed that it seems like a lot of effort was made to NOT put a bunch of matches on this that have appeared in past releases.

As for your Sting comments, I get the impression that you are on the younger side and probably weren't around when he first came onto the scene. He was no slouch in the ring in his earlier days, imo, but I think a lot of it just comes down to when people started watching him and what age they were when they did. To me, Sting was cool, but he wasn't really ever one of my favorites. I understood his appeal, though, and to me, he was a lot like the Ultimate Warrior minus the crazy. Sting always was a much better wrestler, though. Look how a lot of people still get nostalgic and mark out for the Warrior to this day, and he was just brutal when it came to actual wrestling. Casual wrestling fans and/or those who remember watching it when they were little kids don't care about workrate. They just care(d) about being entertained by characters.

Last edited by SexualPudding; 01-31-09 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-31-09, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by chuckliddell View Post
i dont get all the sting talk, i think hes good but overrated, i havent watched much of his stuff from 80s, but his crow character from wcw was great but as a wrestler i never thought of him as great, good but not great

and why would he have his last match in wwe, he never went to wwe cause he knew vince would bury him like all the other "invasion" wcw guys, his whole career was outside of wwe, unless he sells out and vince see's a big buyrate for him and gives him loads of cash i dont see him wrestling his final match in wwe
Sting was GREAT!
I grew up on wrestling in the late 80's/early 90's and Sting was one of the reasons I watched. He was a wrestler who had fun and conveyed that in the ring while at the same time being magnificent at the art of telling a story within a match.

Sting elevated himself even further [later in his career] by not being one of the "Icons" who didn't want to put young guys over.

And as for the last match/signed a WWE Legends deal, why not?
When the guy retires, why wouldn't he sign a Legends deal, wrestle one match at Mania, do a few appearances a year, and make an assload of cash for relatively little work. The guy's earned it. Plus he's always talked at dabbling in the acting world, so this could also be a step into the WWE Films department.

Basically, it's a great way for him to take care of his family, without the wear and tear of the wrestling road life. Anyone in his shoes would do it.
Old 01-31-09, 02:03 AM

WWE doesn't own the USWA footage, nor do they own any Memphis footage outright. Lawler owns some of it and allowed it to be used for the '80s set, while Jerry Jarrett owns portions of it, and the Savoldis own some of it as well (they also own a lot of the USWA stuff). I'd like to see WWE at least try and license the USWA "McMemphis" stuff at some point just to have it available in high quality.

The '90s set's lineup looks great - not quite a day one buy, as I have most of those matches in some form already, but definitely something I'll buy at some point in time just to have a bunch of great matches in DVD-level quality.

As for the Savage set, I'm glad to see it on Koch's site, but WWE could decide to nix it like they did last year. As a big Savage fan, I'd love to see it get released, and also hope that WWE tries to license some of Savage's Memphis or ICW stuff for it so it can be a more accurate representation of his whole career. His stuff with Lawler in Memphis was a huge deal at the time, and should be seen by more fans beyond owners of the Wrestling Gold set.
Old 01-31-09, 03:36 AM

Box art for the 90's set:

Last edited by Cactus Jack; 01-31-09 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-31-09, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fix link please?
Old 01-31-09, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Fix link please?
Done

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.