Reload this Page >

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume IX

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume IX

Old 03-21-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume IX

Originally Posted by sg2386 View Post
I found something really cool. Seems like Canadian KOCH versions of Royal Rumble 2009 are being distributed in steelbook cases, i picked it up from HMV and not sure if its an HMV exclusive or Canadian exclusive. I think this is the first North American WWE steelbook release. I hope we get the other big ppvs in steelbook since I think it looks much better than the tins
Hi sg2386,

The SteelBook is available across Canada and is not exclusive to any retailers. They have been confirmed at Future Shop and HMV.
$16.99 CDN appears to be the going rate, in my city. It's a lot higher on Amazon.

Canadian UPC - 7 41952 92863 8
USA UPC - 6 51191 94748 5

The UK SteelBook version wil be released on May 4, 2009.

Cheers
Old 03-21-09, 09:34 PM

I ordered a couple Manias as well from Amazon, 19 was he only one without an insert.
Old 03-22-09, 03:50 AM

I have thought of three more moments that could be part of the Smackdown 10th Anniversary DVD. When Stone Cold helped Vince McMahon beat Triple H for the WWF title in September 1999. And the segement with Arnold Schwarzenegger in November 1999. Also, in January 2002 when Rikishi gave Booker T the stinkface and was sick over Michael Cole.
Old 03-22-09, 10:38 AM
Banned

Toys R' Us is giving away The Greatest Legends of Wrestlemania DVD with the purchase of $30 or more in WWE products. So if you are planning to purchase the Legends videogame, know that there is an incentive.
Old 03-22-09, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
Toys R' Us is giving away The Greatest Legends of Wrestlemania DVD with the purchase of $30 or more in WWE products. So if you are planning to purchase the Legends videogame, know that there is an incentive.
How long is this going on?
Old 03-22-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished watching TNA Hard Justice 2008, as part of the TNA Cross the Line 3-pack, and have to say that I'm as impressed as when I first saw this event. It's a huge step up from the previous ppv, Victory Road, which was an okay show punctuated by a mind-boggling conclusion. My review:

-Petey Williams vs. Consequences Creed - X Division Title
Solid X Title match. Petey gets a great response, and Creed holds his own with the TNA original. There's some nice high-flying, some wrestling, and the conclusion makes Creed look like a real contender, while continuing the storyline.

***1/2 (out of 5)

-The Beautiful People & Awesome Kong vs. Gail Kim, ODB, & Taylor Wilde
If you've seen one six-woman tag at a TNA ppv, you've seen them all, but this one is still quite good. Kong looks like a monster than the three faces team to take down, the Beautiful People come off like real bitches, there's some good wrestling, and it doesn't feel short-changed.

-LAX vs. Beer Money - TNA Tag Titles
So much better than the "Fan's Revenge" match a month prior. Instead of relying on a silly gimmick, this one is a straight brawl/wrestling match. Everyone does what they go best, and Beer Money emerge as one of the best heel tag teams in a very long time.

***3/4

-Jay Lethal vs. Sonjay Dutt - "Brawl & Chain" match
There's no denying it--this was a stupid gimmick match in a stupid storyline that ripped off something WWE did SEVENTEEN years ago, and they did it a lot better. A straight match or even one with weapons would have been fine, but the whole "strip your opponent" thing only works when it's either two hot women or a couple of managers, not when it's actual wrestlers. But despite the gimmick, there was still some solid action here. It just wasn't enough to overshadow how dumb this all was.

**1/2

-Christian Cage & Rhino vs. Team 3D
The wrestlers involved made this feel like a nice throwback to ECW. The Dudleys, Rhino, and Christian, who would have worked well in the old ECW, put on a nice brawl with some weapons. You've seen this kind of match before, but it's fast-paced, has some good spots, and the crowd is into it.

***1/2

-Kurt Angle vs. A.J. Styles
If you though their first match was a MOTYC, wait until you see this one. This is to that match what "The Dark Knight" is to "Batman Begins." Great wrestling, great brawling, some amazing high spots, and a jaw-dropping ending. It's just a shame that the post-match ending is ruined by an unnceccesary appearance by Sting.

****1/4

-Samoa Joe vs. Booker T
After the semi-debable the month before, there was really only so much these could do. The weapons added some nice moments, but they weren't huge. They didn't have much chemistry, but at only 13 minutes, it's pretty fast-paced, and Booker's counter out of the muscle-buster is a nice surprise. Unfortunetly, two months and some very violent encounters, this feud ends care of Jeff Jarrett's interference. I was as psyched as anyone to see the Guitar, but I wish it didn't have to become the bullet point of the ending.

Old 03-22-09, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by howwon View Post
Hi sg2386,

The SteelBook is available across Canada and is not exclusive to any retailers. They have been confirmed at Future Shop and HMV.
$16.99 CDN appears to be the going rate, in my city. It's a lot higher on Amazon.

Canadian UPC - 7 41952 92863 8
USA UPC - 6 51191 94748 5

The UK SteelBook version wil be released on May 4, 2009.

Cheers
Can you order the steelbook from amazon.ca? There doesn't appear to be a listing indicating if your ordering a steelbook or just the usual case when you look it up on the amazon.ca site.
Old 03-23-09, 02:43 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by drew4824 View Post
How long is this going on?

Only through 3/28/09: The DVD is "The Greatest Superstars of Wrestlemania" (same as old walmart exclusive) not the the greatest legends of wrestlemania as OP posted.
Old 03-23-09, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by throwback View Post

Only through 3/28/09: The DVD is "The Greatest Superstars of Wrestlemania" (same as old walmart exclusive) not the the greatest legends of wrestlemania as OP posted.
You are correct throwback. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 03-23-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shacmasta View Post
Can you order the steelbook from amazon.ca? There doesn't appear to be a listing indicating if your ordering a steelbook or just the usual case when you look it up on the amazon.ca site.
There doesn't seem to be an indication, but it seems like Canadian retails are carrying the steelbook version of RR and not the regular case. When even looking on KOCH's site there was no indication if it was a regular or steelbook.

i'm 99% sure this is the steelbook version:

http://www.amazon.ca/Royal-Rumble-De...7818908&sr=8-4

price seems to have gone up too, last week it was $19.

Also noticed some crazy fool is selling the Savage DVD (discontinued version that was scheduled last Nov.) on Amazon marketplace for $500.

Last edited by sg2386; 03-23-09 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-23-09, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sg2386 View Post
There doesn't seem to be an indication, but it seems like Canadian retails are carrying the steelbook version of RR and not the regular case. When even looking on KOCH's site there was no indication if it was a regular or steelbook.

i'm 99% sure this is the steelbook version:

http://www.amazon.ca/Royal-Rumble-De...7818908&sr=8-4

price seems to have gone up too, last week it was $19.

Also noticed some crazy fool is selling the Savage DVD (discontinued version that was scheduled last Nov.) on Amazon marketplace for $500.
Thanks for letting me know! I just bought the Savage DVD and paid $500 by Paypal, I can't wait to get it!!!
Old 03-23-09, 01:41 PM
Banned

The National Film Board of Canada has the Bret Hart Documentary "wrestling with Shadows" online. You can watch it free.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/hitman_hart_w..._with_shadows/

Old 03-23-09, 07:50 PM

Found this tidbit.....................There will be a DVD release for hacksaw Jim Duggan, not through the WWE, called "Hacksaw Duggan Caught on Tape!". The DVD will feature Duggan telling road stories, tearing apart a studio and also the DVD will include the pilot for the Jim Duggan courtroom series that never got picked up. [Credit: Pwinsider.com]

All I can say is HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! TOUGH GUY.
Old 03-23-09, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by doctaheath78 View Post
Found this tidbit.....................There will be a DVD release for hacksaw Jim Duggan, not through the WWE, called "Hacksaw Duggan Caught on Tape!". The DVD will feature Duggan telling road stories, tearing apart a studio and also the DVD will include the pilot for the Jim Duggan courtroom series that never got picked up. [Credit: Pwinsider.com]

I hope the douchebags releasing the DVD don't cost Duggan his WWE gig.
Old 03-23-09, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by doctaheath78 View Post

I would've watched Judge Hacksaw Jim Duggan (with his trusty bailiff, Woody Twobyfour)
Old 03-23-09, 08:49 PM

i saw it on highspots a few days ago.
Old 03-24-09, 10:51 AM
Banned

By the way, I think WWEShopzone has the best deal for the game right now. You can get the game and the Legends DVD for $65.95 with free shipping or get the game and the strategy guide for $62.99 and free shipping. To get the shipping, you use the code FREEME.

http://www.wweshop.com/category.asp?...LEGENDSGAME-26
Old 03-25-09, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
Doesn't look like that's the case. I went to Toys R' Us mainly because I had 50 bucks worth of gift cards to get rid of and totally forgot the free DVD giveaway. I picked up the game and checked out and then went over to browse the figure aisles to kill some time, I then saw the display for the free DVD with the sign clearly stating "Free WWE Greatest Legends of WM DVD w/ ANY 30 dollar purchase", Nothing saying anything was excluded or if certain items needed to be purchased, Just 30 bucks of wwe merch and you get it free.

I then went back over to the Electronics section w/ The DVD and a flyer. Asked her if I qualify. At first she said yes, but wanted to double check w/ a manager, She comes back and tell's me only 30 dollars worth of figures...NOT a video game. Pointed out the obvious she looked at me clueless, I said whatever and left.

I didn't put up a stink because quite frankly, I wasn't in the mood and I already have the DVD, plus a extra sealed copy If I'm not mistaken. So it wasn't a huge deal for me, but I truly do believe if I did raise a stink I would have walked out with the DVD. So keep that in mind if you plan to take TRS up on their little DVD offer.
Old 03-25-09, 12:52 AM

Doesn't look like that's the case. I went to Toys R' Us mainly because I had 50 bucks worth of gift cards to get rid of and totally forgot the free DVD giveaway. I picked up the game and checked out and then went over to browse the figure aisles to kill some time, I then saw the display for the free DVD with the sign clearly stating "Free WWE Greatest Legends of WM DVD w/ ANY 30 dollar purchase", Nothing saying anything was excluded or if certain items needed to be purchased, Just 30 bucks of wwe merch and you get it free.

I then went back over to the Electronics section w/ The DVD and a flyer. Asked her if I qualify. At first she said yes, but wanted to double check w/ a manager, She comes back and tell's me only 30 dollars worth of figures...NOT a video game. Pointed out the obvious she looked at me clueless, I said whatever and left.

I didn't put up a stink because quite frankly, I wasn't in the mood and I already have the DVD, plus a extra sealed copy If I'm not mistaken. So it wasn't a huge deal for me, but I truly do believe if I did raise a stink I would have walked out with the DVD. So keep that in mind if you plan to take TRS up on their little DVD offer.
Wow I thankfully had the complete opposite situation. They didn't have the game on display yet when I went in but I told a worker what I wanted. She got it from the back and then I was asked if I wanted the free dvd that went with it.
Old 03-25-09, 12:21 PM

Did anyone in UK/EU get the free Best of Smackdown vs RAW DVD with the game? I know I did!
Old 03-25-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone manage to pick up the TNA Cross the Line set. Vol. 2 (or care to)?

I went to five Best Buys, and none of them had it. It's very possible that they may get it in on Friday or next week, since it's not exactly a major release.
Old 03-25-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post

I went to five Best Buys, and none of them had it. It's very possible that they may get it in on Friday or next week, since it's not exactly a major release.
I got it yesterday from Walmart for $18.83, pretty good deal for 3 ppvs. The individual ppv covers are basically the same as Volume 1. The front has the logo and the back lists the matches. Very plain.

Last edited by sg2386; 03-25-09 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony View Post

Mine arrived today from ROHwrestling.com.
Old 03-26-09, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So keep that in mind if you plan to take TRS up on their little DVD offer.
Glad I didn't waste my time going down there.
Old 03-26-09, 08:28 PM

Just got :
Undertaker : This Is My Yard
WWF Best of RAW Vol 1 & 2

On eBay

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.