DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Exploitation film discussion (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/547844-exploitation-film-discussion.html)

kyzersoze11 01-14-09 02:43 PM

Exploitation film discussion
 
At Best Buy today I saw this set of 20 "Exploitation" films for $19.99. I cannot find this set on Best Buys website as I wanted to check the films out before I bought the set. I have a picture of it but it is a cell phone picture, but if anyone can help me out that would be great

Here is the picture
http://i39.tinypic.com/20a75g9.jpg

Paul1957 01-14-09 02:59 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
It's all 3 Drive-In Cult Classics that was put out by BCI here's a thread with a little info starts at post 25:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/54...eclipse-2.html

Brian T 01-14-09 03:02 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
That's not quite true. Each of the Drive-In Cult Classics sets feature several movies not available in this package.

ALL of these were released previously in BCI's Welcome To The Grindhouse series of double features. There, the films were presented with the option of watching them in "Drive-In" mode, with trailers and intermission spots, or individually without the goodies. Not sure if these versions have the same feature. The films run the gamut of Crown's catalogue, but only the awful Roberta Findlay's awful PRIME EVIL seems out of place. I do wish more of the Marilyn Tenser films were included (like THE VAN, THE POM POM GIRLS or MALIBU BEACH) were included, since those are quintessential drive-in movies of the era, moreso than some of the others in this set.

More details here:
http://www.rareoopdvds.com/movie?dvd=1325&movie=1781

Paul1957 01-14-09 03:42 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
You're right I should have said Welcome to the Grindhouse not Drive-In Classics.

mdnitoil 01-14-09 05:06 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
I have this set, along with the Drive-In Cult series. This particular set is a repackaging of the first 10 Grindhouse double features. They're the identical disks simply repackaged. Since BB is selling this thing for 20 bucks, $2 a disk is a fantastic deal. I should probably mention that it's an in-store exclusive, hence no website information.

alfonsosoriano 01-14-09 05:10 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
Wow, that IS a great deal.

mdnitoil 01-14-09 05:22 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
Given the whole BCI situation, it's probably worth wondering just how long this will be available. That was the reason I ended up grabbing mine.

zand210 01-14-09 05:26 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
DAMN, 20 films for $19.99
pretty good :)

SPRBD 01-14-09 05:45 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 9198214)
I do wish more of the Marilyn Tenser films were included (like THE VAN, THE POM POM GIRLS or MALIBU BEACH) were included, since those are quintessential drive-in movies of the era, moreso than some of the others in this set.

This collection helps:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...er_id=92601954

And this collection features the original 4 Starlite releases in their original packaging, 1 keepcase per 2 movies. I think the Starlite Drive-In Collection was a pre-cursor to the Grindhouse Cinema collection.

mdnitoil 01-14-09 05:50 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
It's an even better deal when you consider that most of these are anamorphic widescreen and pretty darn good prints. This isn't some kind of public domain dump of hacked up faded junk. Of course they're still bad movies...but they look good. ;)

Torchur317 01-14-09 06:06 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
Wow that's only $19.99?
I thought it would be ALOT more....
I might have to pick this up....

mdnitoil 01-14-09 06:31 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
For the record, the listing of movies included in the set is as follows:

Black Candles / Evil Eye
The Bodyguard / Sister Street Fighter
Coach / The Beach Girls
The Hellcats / Chain Gang Women
Malibu High / Trip With the Teacher
Policewomen / Las Vegas Lady
Prime Evil / Don't Answer the Phone
Sonny Chiba's Dragon Princess / Karate Warriors
Superchick / Hustle Squad
The Teacher / Pick Up

If you search for any of those titles at your favorite etailer, you should come across the matching original Grindhouse offering and you can find out more there.

TomOpus 01-14-09 06:37 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
Looks interesting. The only downside is that when I find something like this, there are usually floaters. I'll check it out, though. That's a pretty good price.

Alan Smithee 01-15-09 04:02 AM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
I bought the first Drive-In Classics set and was appalled to find that they'd crammed 2 movies onto one layer- it's 8 movies on 2 2-sided discs, but each side is only single-layer so bitrate is probably low on these. I checked out part of "The Teacher" and it actually looks OK, but even though it's 16x9 I might end up preferring the old Image laserdisc instead. (To give the DVD credit, the sound seems VERY clean.)

Sets 2 and 3 give each movie their own side so those are probably OK. Haven't found the 4th one yet. Seems like if you buy all these collections, you're going to get some of the same movies multiple times but each has at least one not included elsewhere.

mdnitoil 01-15-09 06:25 AM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
The disks in this Expoitation set are all single side, dual layer, so bit rate is fine, each movie occupying a layer. Drive-In volume 4 continues to be 1 movie per side of disk, for a total of 4 disks. Again, bit rate is fine there. The only one that was really lacking was Drive-In volume 1.

Brian T 01-15-09 12:11 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 

Originally Posted by SPRBD (Post 9198736)
This collection helps:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...er_id=92601954

And this collection features the original 4 Starlite releases in their original packaging, 1 keepcase per 2 movies. I think the Starlite Drive-In Collection was a pre-cursor to the Grindhouse Cinema collection.


I've got those! Those are nice, too, in the fact that they contain additional "drive-in" goodies. My thoughts on the Tenser films were largely to deride their absence from the Best Buy exclusive set. In fact, some of the Crown titles in these various BCI packages were originally released by Rhino many moons ago, so the mileage these pictures have gotten in the DVD era is impressive, particularly from BCI, where many of the pictures have been in double features in three separate lines now (Starlite, Grindhouse and now Exploitation Cinema) and in multiple-quantity sets (2's, 8's, and now 20's). Talk about milking it! In addition to the Drive In Cult Classics series of 8-movie sets (now up to Vol. 4), there was also another set of Crown 8-packs released alongside Drive In Cult Classics Vol. 1 (like that set, each has 2 discs with 2 movies per side and the expected compression problems): School Dazed, After Dark Thrillers and Maximum Action. I'm guessing the Drive-In Cult Classics one sold better and thus became the umbrella title for the newer sets.

SPRBD 01-15-09 01:07 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 9200356)
Talk about milking it! In addition to the Drive In Cult Classics series of 8-movie sets (now up to Vol. 4), there was also another set of Crown 8-packs released alongside Drive In Cult Classics Vol. 1 (like that set, each has 2 discs with 2 movies per side and the expected compression problems): School Dazed, After Dark Thrillers and Maximum Action. I'm guessing the Drive-In Cult Classics one sold better and thus became the umbrella title for the newer sets.

I've seen reveiws for some of the other 8-packs and the quality sounded very bad. I've held off buying them (despite their attractive prices), hoping that BCI will release them as Exploitation 2-packs, which sometimes seems to even include better transfers, nevermind less compression issues.

asianxcore 01-15-09 02:16 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 9198850)
Looks interesting. The only downside is that when I find something like this, there are usually floaters. I'll check it out, though. That's a pretty good price.

Be careful about the 20 Film Exploitation BCI set.

I bought one at Best Buy a couple days ago and two of the spindles are completely shattered. Usually I wouldn't mind but the set comes in 2 Custom 5-Disc Cases.

mmyersisgod 01-15-09 09:18 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
Usually sets with more than 5 films end up being a waste.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 01-16-09 09:42 AM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 

Originally Posted by mmyersisgod (Post 9201814)
Usually sets with more than 5 films end up being a waste.

And lots of people will disagree with you.

TomOpus 01-16-09 06:39 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 9200786)
Be careful about the 20 Film Exploitation BCI set.

I bought one at Best Buy a couple days ago and two of the spindles are completely shattered. Usually I wouldn't mind but the set comes in 2 Custom 5-Disc Cases.

Ugh, that's what I mean. Seems this types of sets are always having broken hubs and such.

Torchur317 01-16-09 06:41 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
What section is this in? Horror?
If so,my best buy didn't have it....

mdnitoil 01-16-09 09:10 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
I've seen it in both horror and sci-fi.

asianxcore 01-17-09 01:39 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 9203914)
Ugh, that's what I mean. Seems this types of sets are always having broken hubs and such.

I wasn't able to contact Navarre via email, as it got returned. Going to try and randomly order 2 of the 6 disc DVD cases from Sleevetown or find another set at Best Buy. Broken hubs on a set like this annoy me.

Also Torchur317, as mdnitoil mentioned you could find it in either section. I would check in Action as well.

Torchur317 01-17-09 01:58 PM

re: Exploitation film discussion
 
Yeah I checked both horror/sci-fi.....
I guess I'll check the action section next time....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.