DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ever Had To Rebuild Your DVD Collection?

Old 01-02-09, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am doing that right now. Rebuilding everything. Took my DVDs to a store to where they cash in on used DVDs and I paid off a credit card (didn't last long, I maxed it up again.) But now I am rebuilding it back. Except I am collecting Blu-Ray now instead of standard DVD. I starting with my favorites.
If I had sold off everything, this may be more overwhelming, being about half and titles I can buy for two and three dollars, it is not such a problem. Do you have a lot to re-buy? You ruined your own plan by maxing it out again.
Old 01-02-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
I like your DVD catalog site you made. Can you let other people join, please?
It's the software from www.collectorz.com with this installed http://www.knightdt.co.uk/moc/templa..._and_5.3.0.zip as the export option.
Old 01-02-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In a way I am rebuilding my collection. I have so many movies I either haven't seen or will never watch again, I finally decided enough was enough. I selling on half.com and trading in to DVDPlanet. Naturally they are worth afraction of what I paid. Fortunately most of what I bought was $10 used stuff, so if I get $2 - $5 I figure it's the cost of a long term rental. At this point I'd rather have one Bluray I will watch instead of 8 DVD's I'll probably never watch.

Now 90% of my viewing is from Blockbuster online. I'm purchasing a few BD's and HDDVD's but I never want to get hundreds and hundreds again.
Old 01-02-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In 1999-2000 I bargain shopped DVD to death, buying tons of movies (movies I actually watched, not just cheap deals) for peanuts. Every GC deal, every Reel.com, the 800.com deals -- I maxed them out. Abused and reused where ever my 30 email addresses and 30 virtual credit cards and three shipping addresses would take me. I built up about 400 movies.

In 2002, I paid my rent for 4-5 months with DVDs bought during the boom holiday deals. In 2002, those deals all paid for themselves and I made 25% or more on every sale. Many discs sold for 2x-4x what I paid for them.

I rebuilt my collection starting in 2007 for a fraction of what I got for the same discs 6 years ago. Totally different market than 2002, though. Most of the discs I'm buying today will be worth little in the resale market. I'm buying the same movies and TV series again, BTW. I was selective in the early days and I'm selective now. The only stuff I'm buying more on a whim are Big Lots DVDs for $2-$3.

-beebs

Last edited by beebs; 01-02-09 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-02-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had about half of mine stolen. Luckly I only had about 20 DVDs at the time.
Old 01-03-09, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A few months back I sold about 220 DVDs which left me with about 115. I have only bought a small fraction of the DVDs I owned back. I found that I didn't miss them as much as I thought I would. I'm more selective now when I buy. It's actually easier for me to pass things up now for some reason.
Old 01-03-09, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
I cannot imagine re-buying a few hundred films.
Heh, I could do that with one trip to Big Lots.
Old 01-03-09, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
How many have had to rebuild their DVD collection for some reason?

Nice buying DVD's again.

(Had to sell a few off last year, or 2007)

-Note - I did not find this topic under a search-
Yes, I did. I had a financial emergency come up and I sold about 75% of my collection several years ago. I had around 1,200 DVDs. I don't recommend it. It's up there with going to a Pay Check Cashing place in terms of accepting much less than what it's worth. However, I got rid of a lot of movies which would have depreciated heavily by now.

What's different now, is I'm focusing more on HD releases. Fewer DVDs being purchased now. I just don't see the need to buy a great DVD release, then have to sell it later, dealing with a buyer (shipping time, making sure the buyer is satisfied 110%, etc., wondering if the title will be returned...), then buying the HD release.
Old 01-03-09, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33 View Post
I had about half of mine stolen. Luckly I only had about 20 DVDs at the time.
When you start to collect DVDs that have a value to you and you don't want to loose any. I would find ways to lock up. Yeah your collection looks good when you show it off to friends but if you don't want it stolen I would invest in some sort a shelf with lock. What would be cool is one of those shelf's that has a glass lock to where people can still see your collection but they can't steal any because it is under lock and key.

Once I start collecting and I reach back like 20 or so DVDs I am gonna see what is out there to protect my DVDs.
Old 01-03-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000 View Post
When you start to collect DVDs that have a value to you and you don't want to loose any. I would find ways to lock up. Yeah your collection looks good when you show it off to friends but if you don't want it stolen I would invest in some sort a shelf with lock. What would be cool is one of those shelf's that has a glass lock to where people can still see your collection but they can't steal any because it is under lock and key.

Once I start collecting and I reach back like 20 or so DVDs I am gonna see what is out there to protect my DVDs.
i am sorry but that sounds slightly naive. don`t you think that if the crooks are able to enter a locked apartment or house door, a small lock on a dvd shelf would be like a kids birthday party to them!?
what`s frightening reading this thread though, is how many of you had dvds stolen from them already!!
is the robbery crime statistic really that bad, or do you victims live in shady neighborhoods?
Old 01-03-09, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by philip74 View Post
i am sorry but that sounds slightly naive. don`t you think that if the crooks are able to enter a locked apartment or house door, a small lock on a dvd shelf would be like a kids birthday party to them!?
what`s frightening reading this thread though, is how many of you had dvds stolen from them already!!
is the robbery crime statistic really that bad, or do you victims live in shady neighborhoods?
They wouldn't even have to worry about the lock since they could just break the glass.

I'm guessing he's referring to people in the house stealing stuff and not burglars.
Old 01-03-09, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never had to completely rebuild my DVD collection, but about 5 years ago my ex-girlfriend took about 20-25 of my DVDs, and I probably replaced about 80% of them.
Old 01-04-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000 View Post
A good friend of mine got a safe for his binder of DVD-r's. Dude, if they steal burned movies, they can have them.
Old 01-04-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a (now ex)friend steal all 20 of my Bond films and all seasons of the Sopranos a couple years back. I had to rebuy those.
Old 01-04-09, 10:52 AM

I've never had to rebuild my DVD collection, but if it is anything like it was to upgrade VHS to DVD then, yikes, I don't want to have to ever do it.

I guess if I did have too, like a lot of people here, it would help me to evaluate what my top priorities are for my collection again. When I started collecting it was a lot more about owning my favorite movies and shows. Now I buy quite a bit as blind buys, etc. just because I'm getting a good deal. I have a horrible habit of buying movies I want to see instead of just renting them.
Old 01-04-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I started a thread back in 2007 about this: http://http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-...ars-later.html

Of course the old DVDAF and DVDSpot links do not work anymore.
Old 01-06-09, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Ever Had To Rebuild Your DVD Collection?

This really is a pain, a lot of the films I want are cheap, it is just finding them in lots or at pawn shops that save money on shipping, the most expensive films are the animated films, this will take some time, it first took me three years for two hundred dvd's, imagine even one hundred will take me a little while to get back, just not a year and a half, plus tv sets.

Things are different now, I rather not have to do this again, at least I did not have hundreds.

A good friend of mine got a safe for his binder of DVD-r's. Dude, if they steal burned movies, they can have them.
It must be all that time spent to burn them.