DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   2009 DVD New Years Resolutions (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/546799-2009-dvd-new-years-resolutions.html)

QuirkyMovieGirl 12-30-08 08:18 PM

2009 DVD New Years Resolutions

I resolve to:

1) Stop buying so many DVDs. No more than ten titles per month (for myself of course :)).
2) Watch everything on my to-watch list which is currently about 270 titles.

-TRANCE- 12-30-08 08:27 PM

I have pretty much the same resolutions as you but i don't think i'll be able to stick to them. -wink-

TomOpus 12-30-08 08:33 PM

1) Go Blu
2) Attempt to put a dent in my unwatched list (close to 300)
3) Re-organize my collection

1 & 3 are very doable.... 2, not so much :)

BullGooseLoony 12-30-08 09:05 PM

This year, I bought WAY too many DVDs, more than I did in 2007, which was more than I did in 2006. I didn't buy much from '04-'06, so luckily my wallet caught a break. But my resolutions are such:

1) Stop buying movies just because they're in a steelbook. If it's a movie I like or at least a classic AND it's in a steelbook, then that's fine, but metal casing isn't enough. Even though steelbooks are cool, there's really no excuse for buying Hancock and Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

2) Cut back on wrestling DVDs. There used to be a time when I would only buy a wrestling ppv on dvd if I enjoyed every single match. Maybe it's the decline in wrestling that's forced my standards to lower, but every match turned into half the matches, and then it just became one or two. At one point I was seriously considering buying Night of Champions 2008 simply to own Triple H/Cena II. The specificity of my collection used to be something I was proud of, now it's kind of clouded in lesser releases like Judgment Day '08, Cyber Sunday '07, SummerSlam '07, and TNA Lockdown '08 (which had a great double main event).

3) No double-dipping. If I own it, I own it. Unless it's some kind of 30-minute plus director's cut, I'm not interested.

4) Stop being so concerned with DVDs piling up. I'm actually the opposite of some of you guys. If I have 10 or so DVDs, I'll refuse to buy anything new out of fear that I'll lose track. As it stands right now, I have the Superman Ultimate Collection, The Godfather Coppola Restoration, and the afformentioned TNA DVD to hold me for a while (that's TWENTY discs). But if I see something else I like, I should pick it up, and not worry about when I'm going to watch it. I suppose I don't like letting them pile up out of fear that by the time I watch it, if it's defective, it might be too late to return. And yes, that has happened to me.

GenPion 12-30-08 10:51 PM

1) Buy Blu-ray's only unless it is a TV show release I don't expect to be released on Blu-ray anytime soon
2) Watch some DVD's out of my several hundred unwatched, and maybe even make a dent
3) Get rid of as many DVD's as possible while remaining sane
4) Convince someone I know to go Blu
4) Watch all of my Blu-ray discs (yeah... right!)

GenPion 12-30-08 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by QuirkyMovieGirl (Post 9164727)
No more than ten titles per month

I don't know if it's even possible for me to follow that. I suppose I will find out soon enough, alas...

RobCA 12-30-08 11:00 PM

I resolve to:

1) Not go Blu. :)

2) Stop automatically buying special editions if a cheaper one is available, since I usually don't bother watching the extras anyway. I won't stop buying them altogether, but I am going to try to be more picky about which ones I get.

3) Get through my unwatched list once and for all, or at the very least, all but a couple of complete series sets that will take a LONG time to get through.

tofu 12-30-08 11:03 PM

I'm resolving not to go Blu-Ray and to try and keep my DVD habit to $1000 or less for the year. That one's gonna be a real tough one to keep.

bcd 12-30-08 11:09 PM

My resolution is to get through my ever growing list of foreign dvd's that I have yet to watch

bcd

canaryfarmer 12-30-08 11:11 PM

More renting, less buying.

RagingBull80 12-30-08 11:50 PM

I've been doing pretty well at not buying a lot of DVDs lately so my resolution is just to continue that trend.

Davie50 12-30-08 11:54 PM

To finally collect the few last Disney animated classics I need.

And to watch 365 new movies (dvds) this year. One for every day of the year. I managed to do this in 2004 while triple majoring in college and 3 jobs, so I figure in 2009 (no more college and 1 job) it should be a snap.

Watch more of my tv on dvd which is well over 300 seasons worth of stuff at this point.

MBoyd 12-31-08 12:01 AM

I am resolving to stop buying animated DVDs except PIXAR and classic Disney and Looney Tunes and only buy iTunes from now on - I actually started last year. The shelf space just isn't available. Already started on South Park, Superman Animated, Batman Brave And The Bold. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Special features maybe, but there are only so many I can watch!

DarthVong 12-31-08 12:22 AM

1) Expand my Blu-Ray collection

2) Reduce my SD collection

GenPion 12-31-08 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by DarthVong (Post 9165043)
1) Expand my Blu-Ray collection

2) Reduce my SD collection

:thumbsup:

Alan Smithee 12-31-08 04:44 AM

For a while my price limit has been $5, and then only if it's something I really want. I had to make a few exceptions for stuff that was in danger of going out of print, but I'm REALLY trying to save up for a new TV in the next few months! I already bought an HD-DVD player on clearance and I just got a Blu-Ray player for Christmas, but have nothing to hook them up to. I've spent a few hundred bucks this year on clearance HD-DVDs, reasoning that if I don't buy them when they're still there I won't ever get them at all. Even with HD-DVD my price limit is now 5 bucks unless it's something REALLY special. I might have to grab the Pinocchio Blu-Ray when it comes out whether I can watch it then or not, since that's only going to be out for a limited time.

LorenzoL 12-31-08 05:04 AM

In 2007, I went "crazy" and spent too much money on DVDs. Last year, I used self restraint and minimize my purchases considerably and plan to continue doing that in 2009.

However, I may get a Blu-ray player sometime next year.

Kory 12-31-08 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony (Post 9164809)
1) Stop buying movies just because they're in a steelbook. If it's a movie I like or at least a classic AND it's in a steelbook, then that's fine, but metal casing isn't enough. Even though steelbooks are cool, there's really no excuse for buying Hancock and Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

I'll take Hancock off your hands, I missed out on it when it first came out and I actually enjoy the film.

mbro12 12-31-08 10:25 AM

Im most likely going to buy as much if not more DVD's as I've got my first job and so have a lot more disposable income than before, however, Im going to aim to only buy DVD's I know I will watch straight away and will want to watch multiple times.

R. Hilton 12-31-08 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by RobCA (Post 9164955)
I resolve to:

1) Not go Blu. :)

2) Stop automatically buying special editions if a cheaper one is available, since I usually don't bother watching the extras anyway. I won't stop buying them altogether, but I am going to try to be more picky about which ones I get.

3) Get through my unwatched list once and for all, or at the very least, all but a couple of complete series sets that will take a LONG time to get through.

Well said. Looking over my "buy list" for the coming months, with the exception of a few genre titles, I will be limiting my purchases to mostly Criterion and Kino releases. And that cool Hercules box from Image- Damn!

FrmPeru 12-31-08 11:49 AM

1. Try to not go Blu...but with warner dropping the ball with Oceans 13,The Departed, Blood Diamond and The Dark Knight....its getting kind of hard to defend my preference
2. Try to knock into my "To Watch" book case...its getting scary
3. Quit impulse buying new releases for wanting to watch it sake (I coulda paid less if I'd a waited on Mummy 3... since the movie was horrible in my opinion)
4. Quit buying terrible sequels or movie spin offs or numbered spines to feed my completest nature...(see above)
5. Leave Criterion alone...(see above)....just because they say it's good..doesn't make it good...

FantasticVSDoom 12-31-08 12:51 PM

Rent more and discover more TV on DVD...

Giles 12-31-08 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer (Post 9164975)
More renting, less buying.

:thumbsup: same here, impulse buying for me is very hard to resist.

2) read and actually exercise more. I go to the movies and watch dvd's so much this last year, I need to exert more energy than sitting on my ass all night.

3) stop reading Sight & Sound and Cinemascope and making a list of all those (expensive) imports I really really want to own. (Nicheflix I miss you terribly.) (who am I kiddin')

Dustin P. 12-31-08 01:27 PM

I am on a very tight budget so I'd like to buy atleast 1 DVD every month of 2009...whether it be new or old :)

macnorton 12-31-08 01:33 PM

1. Buy more Blu (but I have strict rules on what I will buy in Blu)
2. Build up my cult & classic film collection (Both are really lacking)
3. Keep SD purchases to a minimum (Disney Treasures, Looney Tunes, and most TV shows that can't look any better, and I need to get more MST3K since they tend to go OOP quick)
4. Re-org the collection (I got all my stuff sorted thanks to DVDPedia. but my selves need some help)
5. Burn more home brew DVD's (MST3K DAP DVD's to be specific, and the uncut Beavis & Butt-Head collection)
6. Use Netflix more (I have a membership but the same three DVD's have been on my pile for three months now...got to get on that)
7. Even though Criterion is a great way to find new stuff, there is no need to "complete" the collection (As noted by another poster above)
8. Catch up on TV shows that I bought but haven't watched (Buffy, Angel, Deadwood, for instance)
9. Consider making purchases through iTunes (I want to do this...but Apple is really making in difficult with all the hoops, the DRM, and the fact that Apple TV isn't a suitable TIVO replacement yet)
10. This one is important...read two different review sites before making a purchase for any DVD/Blu-Ray (you can't take one site as gospel...always good to have a second opinion)