DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   2009 DVD New Years Resolutions (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/546799-2009-dvd-new-years-resolutions.html)

DJariya 01-02-09 06:09 PM

Question:
Why are some of you resolving to not go Blu Ray? Is it because of money and you can't afford a Blu Ray player/discs?

The only reason why I haven't upgraded is because I have 3 perfectly working SD TV sets and I don't immediately need an HDTV. But, if one were to burn out, then I would get an HDTV and Blu Ray.

advdfreak 01-02-09 07:03 PM

Here are a few that I can think of:

1. I'm going to try and spend less each month than I did the previous year.
2. Focus more on TV on dvd than I have in the past.
3. Try and watch/buy more foreign films.

Trevor 01-03-09 11:20 AM

My biggest DVD-related resolution is to continue something I started last April. I vowed to watch one new-to-me film per day (on average).

I fulfilled that for 2008, but it included films in the theater and on cable. This year I want to get thru more on my unwatched DVDs, so I'm going to try to average one unwatched and owned DVD (or Blu-ray) per day.

Greg MacGuffin 01-03-09 01:56 PM

My main resolution is to get through my unwatched pile. In order to do this, I've changed my Netflix plan to two at a time (instead of three), stopped borrowing movies from the library, and stopped renting dumb movies through Redbox.

bodomnet 01-03-09 03:58 PM

Pretty much the same for me this year as last.. continue bulking up my blu ray collection and slimming down unwatched dvds

dex14 01-03-09 04:32 PM

So...whos stuck to it so far? I havent bought anything yet!

majorjoe23 01-03-09 05:06 PM

I bought a DVD today, but it was American Dad, so it fit my animated criteria, plus it was 30% off at Borders and I had a gift card.

That'sAllFolks 01-04-09 03:46 PM

I'm probably the only one who is saying BUY MORE.

I've been buying only really good deals and will take a chance on a movie that I've never seen if it's cheap over one that I know I want. My philosophy was that eventually everyting will be cheap and I can wait.

What I'm going to do is start buying some things I really want to watch immediately. I bought a couple of DVDs in the last DD 25% off sale that were a good price, but not a steal. However I've been looking forward to watching them (they are still on backorder!), more then a lot of the other DVDs I've bought recently.

So while I'll continue my bargain-hunting ways, I will probably start buying some stuff that I've been wanting to watch for a long time.

Though they will probably go on sale the next week.

Corey31 01-04-09 06:02 PM

1. Don't buy as many Season Sets, I have bought sets like Full House and The O.C. only to see the Complete Series come out with the cost per season down considerably. Series' like Lost, Veronica Mars, Pushing Daisies etc. are just asking for a Complete Series release.

2. As has been said, I barely watch the extras on a DVD so buying a SE DVD that costs 6 times as much as a bare bones disk was a stupid thing to do. I'd rather have more movies to watch then less with special features I don't want. Of course the exceptions are snapper cases and if the audio/video quality is significantly better.

mdc3000 01-04-09 06:59 PM

I'm doing a few things...

1. I'm waiting for a sale or to buy USED all new day and date Blu-rays that I want, unless they have a digital copy or steelbook packaging, in which case I'll buy as per normal. I've bought too many blu-rays new for $30 only to see them 3-4 weeks later for $10 less used at the video store...and of course, I usually haven't watched them by then anyhow. (and with the blu-ray coating, all discs I've got used have been flawless)

2. Only buying season sets for shows that I haven't seen before or will watch right away. Again, with complete series boxsets and price drops on past seasons, I have sunk WAY too much cash into TV on DVD that I've never even bothered to watch, so I'm getting stingy.

3. Will resist the urge to upgrade everything to blu-ray. I'm not re-upping movies that I'll only watch once, so as far as catalogue BD's go - they have to be loaded or an all time favourite that I know I'll get use out of...

dpz301 01-05-09 06:53 PM

Re: 2009 DVD New Years Resolutions

as many others have mentioned, i hope to buy less and at better prices if possible and work on my unwatched list.

kevinlord190 01-08-09 12:19 AM

1. Expand my blu collection cuz i only have 18 =[ i wanna pop 50-100 for 2009 which shouldnt be too difficult if i follow the one below
2.STOP BUYING MOVIES JUST TO BUY MOVIES
3.Research before buying something
4. Complete my tv sets ie office chappelles show and others
5.Start watching my movies i havent seen IE nightmare before elm street collection and martin scorcese collection

cosmosis 01-08-09 12:40 PM

1) Finally join this site, after years of lurking. (Done!)

2) Skip blu-ray yet again. Yes, I get that the quality is higher, but there are still far too many negatives for me, starting with the fact I've only got a 37-inch TV (and I quite literally can't get a larger one unless I cover half the window). Plus, the whole cult-like following really turns me off.

3) Get back into my Netflix subscription. I tend to use it in fits and starts, but it's perfect for some things like watching the fifth season of "The Wire," which is something I really need to do.

4) Buy more cheap DVDs. I really do get into the treasure-hunt aspect of bargain shopping, plus I'm a collector at heart. That said, I do need to get over my deep, deep aversion to shopping at WalMart. (I went looking for the "Zodiac" 2D this weekend -- even though I already own it, I know some friends who'd love a copy as a gift -- and was appalled at the condition of the WalMart I visited. And I always assumed this was a "nicer" WalMart!)

5) Watch more movies! I moved into a new house this fall and, for the first time in more than two years, I can easily display and access my entire collection, so that's making it much easier.

Trevor 01-08-09 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by cosmosis (Post 9183700)
1) Finally join this site, after years of lurking. (Done!)

4) Buy more cheap DVDs. I really do get into the treasure-hunt aspect of bargain shopping, plus I'm a collector at heart. That said, I do need to get over my deep, deep aversion to shopping at WalMart. (I went looking for the "Zodiac" 2D this weekend -- even though I already own it, I know some friends who'd love a copy as a gift -- and was appalled at the condition of the WalMart I visited. And I always assumed this was a "nicer" WalMart!)

Welcome !

This would cut down on the bargain hunting enjoyment perhaps, but just wanted to make sure you know that all DVDs are cheap if you're willing to use the Clubs forum here.

cosmosis 01-08-09 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9183728)
Welcome !

This would cut down on the bargain hunting enjoyment perhaps, but just wanted to make sure you know that all DVDs are cheap if you're willing to use the Clubs forum here.

Thanks. Oh, and I've been using the forums here for years (I can forward my CC statement if you'd like proof!). Just rejoined the CH TV club, actually, and picked up "Mad Men" as one of my enrollments, and am planning to pick up the latest Hitchcock Legacy editions with a B1G1 (or hopefully better) deal.

I also have a Big Lots trip planned (maybe tonight) in hopes I can snag "The Corner"...

terrycloth 01-08-09 02:08 PM

1. Get the rest of the shield on dvd. I watched a few episodes on s3 and loved the series and bought the first two seasons on dvd and loved em. Even tho they are ALWAYS on sale i always miss them.

2. Narrow general purchases that i have no real interest in. I impulse buy stuff like hancock where i know ill only watch once and it will sit on my shelf till a friend borrows it and i forget all about it.

3. I been buying horror movies since novemeber to get 100 dvds and wait to watch them till the horror marathon in October to keep interested in it longer

comanche_doyle 12-27-09 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by comanche_doyle (Post 9166851)
1. Try to keep it under $100 per month.
2. Finish gathering the dragon dynasty releases I need.
3. Be more patient with tv sets I want. I shouldn't pay full price at walmart.
4. Finally get the Royal Rumble Anthology.

1. averaging just under $70/month.
2. picked up all the ones I needed except for the last two released.
3. paid full price only a couple of times this year.
4. picked it up for $50 used at secondspin.

all in all, a good job keeping to my resolutions.

Roybq 12-27-09 08:04 PM

I'm thinking that I should resolve to watch every Blu ray and DVD that I bought since Black Friday. This should take me all of 2010. Thanks a lot Amazon!rotfl

Trevor 12-27-09 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9171536)
My biggest DVD-related resolution is to continue something I started last April. I vowed to watch one new-to-me film per day (on average).

I fulfilled that for 2008, but it included films in the theater and on cable. This year I want to get thru more on my unwatched DVDs, so I'm going to try to average one unwatched and owned DVD (or Blu-ray) per day.

Success!

Torchur317 12-27-09 08:44 PM

Watch everything on my to-watch list & stop buying first week releases unless they are really cheap.

BullGooseLoony 12-27-09 08:45 PM

My big 2010 DVD new year's resolution goes beyond DVDs, it's an actual new year's resolution, and for me, it's a big one:

-stop being obsessive-compulsive about DVDs. No more dusting the DVD player to make sure everything is clean, dusting my collection too much, handling my DVD cases with gloves, just about all of my nasty habits. I realize it's just a waste of time. All that matters is the content and quality of the DVD.

I'm still going to try to find a copy in perfect condition, I just don't need to treat it as if my fingerprints as somehow going to affect that condition.

mike7162 12-28-09 01:49 AM

1) Buy smarter - I think I was fairly successful last year with this one

2) Get a Blu-ray player, but not necessarily go blu - I'll use it primarily for rentals of current releases

3) Spend more time enjoying instead of building my collection - it's time to get high on my own supply!

dkedvd 12-28-09 07:54 AM

I'm sure I'll still buy like crazy but... My resolution for this year is to to make it through all my unwatched movies and at least half of my unwatched TV on DVD. There are a lot but at the rate I watch movies it shouldn't be too hard. The most difficult part will be forcing myself to watch all those horrible prequels & sequels I keep picking up.

adrenaline78 12-28-09 08:10 AM

1. Get all the To be watched movies off my hard drive
2. Get all my to be watched movies off my DVR
3. Start making a dent in my to be watched dvd pile..

Gobear 12-28-09 10:14 AM

I received a Blu-Ray player for Christmas (thanks, in-laws!), so my #1 resolution is not to rebuy in Blu any DVDs I already own unless there's a compelling reason to upgrade. For example, I'll buy Star Trek in Blu because the improved picture quality and additional features warrant it, but I won't upgrade my new box set of The Prisoner.

I'll be using my new player to watch Blu discs from Netflix.