DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   A few questions about Superman: The Ultimate Collection (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/546558-few-questions-about-superman-ultimate-collection.html)

BullGooseLoony 12-27-08 10:19 AM

A few questions about Superman: The Ultimate Collection

I've always wanted to buy this set, being a fan of the original super-series, but I remember when Warner Bros. screwed up the disc for Superman III, and there were some audio problems, so I never picked up the initial printing. By the time the set was reissued, I had heard that the set, while amazing, was still a mess.

I haven't really seen the reissued set available anywhere, but I saw it at Best Buy yesterday for $79.99, which I guess is pretty good for a 14-disc tin. The tin itself looked to be in good shape, but I guess my question is: is it worth it? Are the discs going to be dislodged, misplaced, scratched, etc, and more importantly, how hard to find is the set now, especially for $80 bucks?

Any thoughts or words of advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Doctor Zoidberg 12-27-08 11:17 AM

As far as the discs being dislodged I actually had the opposite problem and they were a little hard to remove. I was able to do so and you would be too if your set comes the way mine did. Once you remove the discs you won't have to worry about that problem anymore though and they'll come off and on the spindle easily.

I ended up getting mine about a year ago during the 20% off Deep Discount sale for around $50. I'm not sure if you'll really be able to find a better price for it new, and trust me, this is one you'll want to get new. I've seen FYE sell used copies but the problem is as far as I know there's nothing which identifies the fixed sets between the ones that printed the older discs by mistake.

Rizor 12-27-08 12:29 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought the corrected set came with new stickers attached to the front. But since this was about a year and a half ago, maybe they stopped.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa135.html - the 4/18/07 post

As far as the set goes, the only trouble I had with it (apart from the disc replacement issues) was that it arrived with the last disc (Brian Singer's web blogs) loose and a bit scratched but still playable. Otherwise, it's a damn good set.

BullGooseLoony 12-28-08 08:19 PM

Another question: do all copies with the new sticker on the front definitely have the reissued Superman III disc, or where there still mishaps?

sparks 12-29-08 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony (Post 9157673)
I've always wanted to buy this set, being a fan of the original super-series, but I remember when Warner Bros. screwed up the disc for Superman III, and there were some audio problems, so I never picked up the initial printing. By the time the set was reissued, I had heard that the set, while amazing, was still a mess.

I haven't really seen the reissued set available anywhere, but I saw it at Best Buy yesterday for $79.99, which I guess is pretty good for a 14-disc tin. The tin itself looked to be in good shape, but I guess my question is: is it worth it? Are the discs going to be dislodged, misplaced, scratched, etc, and more importantly, how hard to find is the set now, especially for $80 bucks?

Any thoughts or words of advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Yes, buy nothing at BB...why would you want to pay MSRP for anything.? There are so many on line sellers selling for so much cheaper. Good luck!

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 12-29-08 10:10 AM

BB has good sales and exclusive items off the top of my head. They don't sell everything at msrp.

TomOpus 12-29-08 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony (Post 9157673)
and more importantly, how hard to find is the set now, especially for $80 bucks?

One thing you can do yourself is to check around online and see how available it is and for how much.

For me... if it's something I want and it's hard to find but I spot it... I'll get it. Sure, there's a chance it might pop up somewhere cheaper but at least you'll have it to enjoy NOW.

BullGooseLoony 12-29-08 10:45 AM

Yeah, and I like the idea of buying it in-store because I can pretty much gauge if any of the discs are loose.

Mr. Salty 12-29-08 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony (Post 9161284)
Yeah, and I like the idea of buying it in-store because I can pretty much gauge if any of the discs are loose.

And, in this case, whether the tin is dented or scratched.

jjcool 12-29-08 02:50 PM

Its a great set, and well worth the money. I was able to score a brand new copy for a great price in store.

doubledown44 12-30-08 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 9161831)
Its a great set, and well worth the money. I was able to score a brand new copy for a great price in store.

I agree.

BullGooseLoony 12-30-08 08:41 AM

So I bought the set, with the new sticker on the front to indicate that it was reissued, and guess what?

It still has the wrong Superman III disc.

I'm so fucking pissed. Now I know why I never got this set in the first place.

Oh yeah, any words of advice?

TomOpus 12-30-08 08:50 AM

Here's the number that they set up for the disc replacement program. I guess you can see if it's still active.

800-553-6937

Laser Movies 12-30-08 11:33 AM

That reminds me I better make sure I have the corrected set. I've had the set for over a year and haven't opened it yet. Unfortunately when you buy a lot of DVDs sometimes it takes a while to get around to watching and openeing them.

Pizza 12-30-08 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony (Post 9163220)
So I bought the set, with the new sticker on the front to indicate that it was reissued, and guess what?

It still has the wrong Superman III disc.

I'm so fucking pissed. Now I know why I never got this set in the first place.

Oh yeah, any words of advice?

If they won't replace it, check out the bargain bins for a copy. I've seen it as low as $3.

BullGooseLoony 12-30-08 11:45 AM

How likely is that to happen, because I still haven't called yet. I'm not sure what I want to do.

TomOpus 12-30-08 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES (Post 9163589)
That reminds me I better make sure I have the corrected set. I've had the set for over a year and haven't opened it yet. Unfortunately when you buy a lot of DVDs sometimes it takes a while to get around to watching and openeing them.

You don't have to watch 'em right away but you should always open it (making sure you have all the correct discs) and try each disc out to make sure it loads and plays. It would make it less of a hassle if you need to make a return.

Laser Movies 12-30-08 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 9163631)
You don't have to watch 'em right away but you should always open it (making sure you have all the correct discs) and try each disc out to make sure it loads and plays. It would make it less of a hassle if you need to make a return.

You're absolutely correct. I should open them but often out of laziness and just accumulating DVDs faster than I can watch them they pile up unopened. I do at least open any DVD that sounds like it has a loose disc to make sure it isn't damaged. Fortunately I've never had too many wrong discs or duplicates. A few times I have discovered problems long after purchasing a DVD I was still able to get a exchange done. I doubt I'm the only one on the forum with DVDs still shrinkwrapped years after buying them. Sadly I think it is normal for a DVD addict to have many sealed DVDs in your collection.

BullGooseLoony 12-30-08 03:06 PM

Ok, so I decided to go ahead and call. I've wanted this set for years, so I decided not to return the whole damn thing. After all, the case itself, aside from a couple of tiny dents, is in good shape, and NONE of the discs were loose. The only other place I was going to find it in-store was maybe Virgin, and it would have cost probably $30 more.

I called the hotline (thanks TomOpus) and the woman was very nice. She knew immediately what I was talking about, made sure to get my information (even double-checked), and mapped out how the exchange will go. I didn't have to deal with any call-waiting (granted, this is more than a year after most people exchanged their discs), and I was off the phone within 7 minutes. So I'm pretty encouraged now. I'm glad it was handled so well.

Mr. Salty 12-30-08 03:17 PM

I've had to deal with Warner Bros. a few times on disc replacements (Superman, Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes) and have been very pleased with how quickly and smoothly the replacements have gone. And I've never had to wait on hold.

TomOpus 12-30-08 03:23 PM

Glad to see the hotline still works and it went smooth for you. A lot of us were in the same boat and it was nice to see the studio respond to the problem in a positive way.

BullGooseLoony 12-30-08 03:49 PM

So how will the new discs be packaged? In a paper sleeve, or plastic case, or what? I assume everyone got their new discs without being covered in fingerprints and in good condition.

crs 12-30-08 04:04 PM

Mine came in paper sleeves with a few light scratches.

TomOpus 12-30-08 07:19 PM

Mine arrived perfect.

BullGooseLoony 01-25-09 02:39 PM

Re: A few questions about Superman: The Ultimate Collection

Hey guys, had another question.

I got the pre-paid envelope to send out for the replacement discs, and I was wondering:

if you put the old discs in paper sleeves and leave a note asking to put the new discs in the same sleeve, do you think they will?

I vaguely remember someone here mentioning that they had sent back empty cases for the replacement discs?

Any words of advice or stories about this? Thanks a lot.

Fok 01-25-09 05:17 PM

Re: A few questions about Superman: The Ultimate Collection

I bought the set when it first came out and sent my superman 3 disk back. Came back with no problems. The set itself was is great condition