DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Premium Membership Features Announcement

Old 12-23-08, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
I've been visiting this board for going on 7 years, and the bargains forum alone has saved me hundreds of dollars.

I had no problem giving $10 back.

For some of us (probably most of us), it wasn't about having an avatar, or a countdown.

= J
Yeah but they've made way more then $10 off of you (and me, from all the years I've been here lurking) from affiliate links on the bargains forum.
Old 12-23-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wondering ..... why launch when the economy is at it's lowest point in our lifetime, and it's holiday shopping season? Some sort of premium membership is a concept that has been lurking around here for several years - why right now?
Old 12-23-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't afford $10.

Ya that's right, I said it. I can't afford to give IB $10, never mind $20. Especially for "premium features" that are standard on other forums.
Old 12-23-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluth54 View Post
Yeah but they've made way more then $10 off of you (and me, from all the years I've been here lurking) from affiliate links on the bargains forum.
Maybe, but I would have bought whatever it was anyway. It's not like it cost me extra money.

When broken down, $10 equates to less than a half hour of work to me. Why not?

= J
Old 12-23-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Who's the genius at DVD talk that created the PANIC button? Put a patent on that act of genius...

I was on a NCAA tournament March madness site that had a 'Boss' Button. Click on it, and a bunch of spreadsheets pop up.
Old 12-23-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordwow View Post
I can't afford $10.

Ya that's right, I said it. I can't afford to give IB $10, never mind $20. Especially for "premium features" that are standard on other forums.
You mean other websites you get avatars for free? What is this world coming too!
Old 12-23-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I mean other sites I get avatars, social groups, picture hosting, 100+ PMs, and everything except access to our elite premium members forum for free.
Old 12-23-08, 09:53 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an elitist pile of dog crap! This web site has always been so democratic! Are secret dvd deals for paid members around the corner? Is this going to become like a snooty private country club? Members only?!

What is the true motivation behind this? Are you losing income because of the economy? Find another way to earn more income, or maybe this site has gotten too big for its own good? Maybe it's time to trim some fat!
Old 12-23-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ad money doesn't bring in the dollars like it used too.
Old 12-23-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

videoguy, just chill, lol.
Old 12-23-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

videoguy, you've been here since 2000. You should know this has been talked about the past few years.
Old 12-23-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by videoguy View Post

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an elitist pile of dog crap! This web site has always been so democratic! Are secret dvd deals for paid members around the corner? Is this going to become like a snooty private country club? Members only?!

What is the true motivation behind this? Are you losing income because of the economy? Find another way to earn more income, or maybe this site has gotten too big for its own good? Maybe it's time to trim some fat!
I wasn't planning on buying a premium membership, but your erratic post makes me reconsider.
Old 12-23-08, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
videoguy, you've been here since 2000. You should know this has been talked about the past few years.
No, because I don't visit the dvd talk area. Right now, just the dvd deals, hd talk, and other deals forums.

Hey, it's fun to be erratic because you know what? It got your attention, didn't it? So, if it's been talked about for five years, well then it proves it is elitist to me and serves no real purpose other than to eventually seclude others out of discussions that can educate about technology or other technical issues. I'm concerned everyone else who eagerly looks for dvd deals will be left out on a lot of them. I already find it disturbing that contests would already only be allowed for people who pay for it.

I agree with other posters however that a personal dvd tracking service along with some of the other features for a yearly 10 dollar rate would sound much more reasonable.

But to exclude others from contests and possibly exclusive deals would permanently sway me from ever signing up!
Old 12-23-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So if I join up for the premium membership, as a longtime member, can I please change my user name?

"brianluvdvd" is so 1999.
Old 12-23-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
So if I join up for the premium membership, as a longtime member, can I please change my user name?

"brianluvdvd" is so 1999.
Ooh...can we make a thread and vote on those name ideas?
How about "Spiderbitch"?
Old 12-23-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No, because I don't visit the dvd talk area. Right now, just the dvd deals, hd talk, and other deals forums.

Hey, it's fun to be erratic because you know what? It got your attention, didn't it? So, if it's been talked about for five years, well then it proves it is elitist to me and serves no real purpose other than to eventually seclude others out of discussions that can educate about technology or other technical issues. I'm concerned everyone else who eagerly looks for dvd deals will be left out on a lot of them. I already find it disturbing that contests would already only be allowed for people who pay for it.

I agree with other posters however that a personal dvd tracking service along with some of the other features for a yearly 10 dollar rate would sound much more reasonable.

But to exclude others from contests and possibly exclusive deals would permanently sway me from ever signing up!
The DVD Bargains forum isn't going anywhere, so it isn't like people who don't sign up are missing on the same deals that everyone else sees. And really, the only discussion in the Premium forum is how much cooler we are. It's not going to replace other discussion forums when there's far less people there to discuss them and get info.
Old 12-23-08, 12:06 PM
X
Administrator

The existing contests aren't going to change. However we are discussing additional giveaways of things like screeners for premium members.

One thing I've thought of over the years is having the ability to spread word of a deal without it getting to places like FatWallet or SlickDeals where vultures hang out so they can resell on eBay. So many deals have been quickly killed that way.

A forum that the general public doesn't see, while not the ideal solution in terms of cluing in everyone we would like to be able to get in on a deal, has the potential to spread the information to a number of our members before it gets proliferated to other sites. I don't know whether or not we're going to do this, but premium members are free to post what they want.
Old 12-23-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by X View Post
One thing I've thought of over the years is having the ability to spread word of a deal without it getting to places like FatWallet or SlickDeals where vultures hang out so they can resell on eBay. So many deals have been quickly killed that way.

A forum that the general public doesn't see, while not the ideal solution in terms of cluing in everyone we would like to be able to get in on a deal, has the potential to spread the information to a number of our members before it gets proliferated to other sites. I don't know whether or not we're going to do this, but premium members are free to post what they want.
We run into the same problem over at Cheapass Gamer, and a premium "deals only" forum has been discussed, but never went anywhere. It would be interesting to see how that would work here...
Old 12-23-08, 01:01 PM

No matter what you do people are going to find out about a deal in a few minutes to a couple of hours anyway. How often we are the first to post stuff anyway? And usually, besides deep discounts' occasional inventory reduction sales, dvd deals are now simply ones that are on sale for a few dollars less. It's really hard to stumble across something that other posters on other sites won't see themselves.

I just think the situations that would benefit from a private forum would be very rare.
Old 12-23-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The existing contests aren't going to change. However we are discussing additional giveaways of things like screeners for premium members.

It sounds great in theory, but in practice... what are the odds that not one of the 100s of premium members will leak the deals to sd/fw... it's not like these deals are private/hidden, most of them are just a matter of looking on the respective site. I would say though, I think it would be better for someone like speedy to post his ads behind the curtain so to speak.
Old 12-23-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It sounds great in theory, but in practice... what are the odds that not one of the 100s of premium members will leak the deals to sd/fw... it's not like these deals are private/hidden, most of them are just a matter of looking on the respective site. I would say though, I think it would be better for someone like speedy to post his ads behind the curtain so to speak.

It will leak.
Old 12-23-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
It's always tickled me how someone with 300 posts is considered a "senior member".
Old 12-23-08, 01:25 PM
X
Administrator

If it leaks quickly deals will stop being posted, if it doesn't leak quickly, more members should be able to get in on the deal. Anyway, that's my theory but we'll only find out by trying it.

Also, if a premium member leaks it, it will be easier to see who leaked it since it wouldn't tend to be a lurker. Not that anything would happen to them. Hmm...
Old 12-23-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not that anything would happen to them. Hmm...
That's what I'm saying
Old 12-23-08, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Now since we are all chipping in, how about DVD talk creating a DVD catalog system similar to DVDspot?
That would require actual development rather than just selectively enabling features of the forum software that they'd previously disabled in order to save bandwidth.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.