Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Premium Membership Features Announcement

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Premium Membership Features Announcement

Old 12-29-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't read the entire thread, but I have only one thing I really want. Can there be a mobile version of the site that's stripped down and fast-loading (like our friends over at fatwallet have)? I would pay $10 if it helped to develop that feature. If someone's already mentioned this request, I'm sorry about repeating it.
Old 12-29-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My wife purchased a membership and I'm choosing not to (no features I'm interested in). So does that mean both sides hate us?
Old 12-29-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bconver
Great list! I let me see what I can do.

thx
Are you really going to look into implementing features like those? Because if you are, especially one that will give me easy access my entire posting history (that's the important one to me right now), you will give me a feature I could really use, and going premium will look much more attractive.

Please keep us informed!

--THX
Old 12-29-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by certifiedthx
are you really going to look into implementing features like those? Because if you are, especially one that will give me easy access my entire posting history (that's the important one to me right now), you will give me a feature i could really use, and going premium will look much more attractive.

Please keep us informed!

--thx
+1
Old 12-29-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
My wife purchased a membership and I'm choosing not to (no features I'm interested in). So does that mean both sides hate us?
What's your wife's user name? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 12-29-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
What's your wife's user name? Inquiring minds want to know!
wmlopez.

= J
Old 12-29-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 12-29-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jiggyblau
I haven't read the entire thread, but I have only one thing I really want. Can there be a mobile version of the site that's stripped down and fast-loading (like our friends over at fatwallet have)?
Oh god yes. Trying to hit the tiny blue square to go a thread's newest post on an iphone/ipod touch is nothing short of mightily frustrating.
Old 12-29-08, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Oh god yes. Trying to hit the tiny blue square to go a thread's newest post on an iphone/ipod touch is nothing short of mightily frustrating.
Actually on the iPhone/iPod Touch, it's not bad to use the forums. I do it quite a bit. You can easily zoom in on links to press. The slide-zoom is what makes a browser that small usable.

Still, I'd welcome a slimmed down version.
Old 12-29-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
Actually on the iPhone/iPod Touch, it's not bad to use the forums. I do it quite a bit. You can easily zoom in on links to press. The slide-zoom is what makes a browser that small usable.

Still, I'd welcome a slimmed down version.
It's not horrible, but it's so much nicer to use fatwallet mobile. Night and day really. And I'm betting it's not too big of a project to trim down features as opposed to build them up. I use my iPhone and find it navigable, but it's not as easy and it's about 10% as fast as fatwallet.
Old 12-30-08, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
wmlopez.

= J
Old 12-30-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did it.
Old 12-30-08, 02:51 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I caved and did it as well
Old 12-30-08, 04:05 AM

Me did it!
Thanks.
Me good!
Old 12-30-08, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Great list! I let me see what I can do.

thx
Also can you give the premium members the option of editing our own thread titles as other members have requested this.
Old 12-30-08, 11:22 AM
Registered

Interesting to see all this banter over the premium membership. I looked at implementing it a number of times over the years but kept holding off as I felt the demand was never as high as the negative impact of a private forum area/etc. Also didn't feel that it would raise that much money to make a dent in our ever growing server bills (so I did other things like get advertisers...)

Thanks to all who have either directly or indirectly expressed their gratitude for the site over the past 9 years and those who feel it hasn't changed all that much in my absence. One of the important things for me in deciding to move on from the site and sell it was that the company who took it over would run it close to the way I had run it. While I don't completely see eye to eye with IB, DVD Talk does continue to run in the general direction it's always run.

Ultimately it's less about throwing your money to some big faceless corp and more if these feature are something you find valuable. Personally I never felt that the value proposition was strong enough to offer it...

In terms of me, I've been off writing and consulting. Enjoying watching movies without having to think of the way in which I'd cover them on the site and reading a lot more.

- G
Old 12-30-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
That said please lets us know if there are other features you would like to see as a part of the membership and I will see if we can get them included.
I've mentioned it before (as have several others - probably a ton in the Premium Section, I'm guessing), but I'd be most interested in a DVD catalog site similar to our beloved, now defunct, DVDSpot.
Old 12-30-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a question... it has probably been answered, but I probably missed it in the 8 pages of this thread:

Does the membership automatically renew in a year or do I have to manually renew it?
Old 12-30-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I have a question... it has probably been answered, but I probably missed it in the 8 pages of this thread:

Does the membership automatically renew in a year or do I have to manually renew it?

Auto renew
Old 12-30-08, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Auto renew
Is there an option to join without the membership auto-renewing?
Old 12-30-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dear Moderators,
I just hope you give members enough of a warning by email before "auto-renewing" kicks in, so that dvdtalk doesn't screw up member's paypal accounts for those that may not have money in their paypal account at that time.
Old 12-30-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I would imagine most people have their PayPal accounts set up to either draw from a credit/debit card or bank account if they don't have money in the PayPal account...so while the PayPal account wouldn't be in danger of getting screwed up, the worst that would happen is they might overdraft someone's bank account.
Old 12-30-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I would imagine most people have their PayPal accounts set up to either draw from a credit/debit card or bank account if they don't have money in the PayPal account...so while the PayPal account wouldn't be in danger of getting screwed up, the worst that would happen is they might overdraft someone's bank account.
yeah, it's the overdraft I would be worried about...and if I had my paypal account set on some option to automatically take out money from my checking account, then I wouldn't be able to stop buying stuff off ebay! I like the option of having a limited amount in my paypal account...
Old 12-30-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
well I took the plunge, try it out for a year.
Old 12-30-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Infidel
...so while the PayPal account wouldn't be in danger of getting screwed up, the worst that would happen is they might overdraft someone's bank account.
Then the membership ends up being $55 instead of $20.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.