The Dark Knight: 12-09-08 (Part Two)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Dark Knight: 12-09-08 (Part Two)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm picking up my steelbook and Blu Ray tomorrow. Unfortunatly they have to sat under the tree until Christmas day. But at least I know I have them. That steelbook is beautiful.
Old 12-08-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
My plan is getting the Batpod Blu-ray edition from Best Buy, and hopefully grabbing those sweet figures for $9.99 each.

If I fail (I plan on being there at 9am opening, but I'm not a morning person on my day off) so Target's Mask case is my 2nd choice. It would go well with my Iron Man case.
Old 12-08-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts
Originally Posted by ceeece
I hate the steelbook cover. Horrible picture. I would prefer something simple, like a black cover with the Bat symbol busting out. I do like the back though.
Actually as much as I loved this movie, ALL the promotional art has been horrible. The only one I kind of liked was the "why so serious one"

Compare this:

with this:

and this:

I much prefer the marketing art for Batman Begins.

But I'm still picking up the steelbook tomorrow.
Old 12-08-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I'll throw up this as another example of a good poster from this campaign (spoilered for size):

Spoiler:

But I definitely agree. The marketing poster art for The Dark Knight wasn't nearly as solid as it was for Batman Begins. But, for the discussion at hand -- yeah, the Bat Pod art just doesn't do anything for me. At all.

EDIT: Didn't mean the full campaign, just the poster art.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 12-08-08 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can understand if you don't like the images, but to say the marketing for The Dark Knight wasn't as good as, well, pretty much any other film is absurd. This was the most extensive, involved marketing campaign the world has ever seen, in my opinion, and, while the film is incredible, it is probably the number one reason why this is the number two film of all time.
Old 12-08-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Well, I'll throw up this as another example of a good poster from this campaign (spoilered for size):

Spoiler:

But I definitely agree. The marketing for The Dark Knight wasn't nearly as solid as it was for Batman Begins. But, for the discussion at hand -- yeah, the Bat Pod art just doesn't do anything for me. At all.
That came as an exclusive lithograph/holograph at Best Buy if you purchased the Batman Begins Gift Set.
Old 12-08-08, 09:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by tanman
Actually as much as I loved this movie, ALL the promotional art has been horrible. The only one I kind of liked was the "why so serious one"

WOW! I could not DISagree with you more. As a matter of fact, ever since they started promoting this movie, I've been saying this is some of the best poster art I've seen in YEARS. The "why so serious" one, the burning building, batman at the window, joker from behind on the street,...

I used to collect lots of posters, but absoutely nothing has been worth getting for a LOOONG time.
Kudos to WB and their TDK campaign. Great artwork!
Old 12-08-08, 10:09 PM
TRC

Count me in as another one who thought The Dark Knight had a phenomenal advertising campaign, including everything from the trailers and posters to the extensive viral marketing.

That's what my main gripe is with the "Bat-Pod" artwork. Judged on its own merits I don't think it's that bad, but compared to some of the other excellent artwork it's not nearly as good.

Last edited by TRC; 12-08-08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've ended up going the trade-in route at MovieStop, and I'll try to use a Papa John's coupon for $3 more off. If that works plus the trade-ins on movies I've never watched, I'll get the 2 disc for about $2.
Old 12-08-08, 11:15 PM
Cool New Member

Does anyone know if any stores have The Joker cover for the BluRay disc? I'm having a bit of trouble looking around in the threads and can't find any.
Old 12-08-08, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
My plan is getting the Batpod Blu-ray edition from Best Buy, and hopefully grabbing those sweet figures for $9.99 each.

If I fail (I plan on being there at 9am opening, but I'm not a morning person on my day off) so Target's Mask case is my 2nd choice. It would go well with my Iron Man case.
Why not order it online with store pick-up and sleep in?
Old 12-08-08, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got mine this morning from Amazon. A day early...badass.
Old 12-08-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just got back from Best Buy... the t-shirt is pretty cool, and the Harvey Dent button was a nice surprise. Cant wait to dive into this one.
Old 12-08-08, 11:37 PM

Any pictures? There were no midnight releases within a reasonable driving distance of me, and I really wanted to get the swag that was being given away.

Old 12-08-08, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kory
Any pictures? There were no midnight releases within a reasonable driving distance of me, and I really wanted to get the swag that was being given away.

I'm sorry, cant do pics tonight. I'm sure they will pop up soon though... keep an eye out.
Old 12-08-08, 11:46 PM

I got the Blu-ray with Clown Mask bust, as well as the Joker figurine. Passed on the Bat-pod edition, because I'm going to be getting the Mask packaging from Target in the morning.

Best Buy as giving away black t-shirts with the Batman logo made up of Ha Ha Ha's in white lettering. It says on the back: The Madness Begins on DVD & Blu-ray 12-9-08. Best Buy logo on left sleeve.

Also got an I Believe in Harvey Dent button and Joker playing card.
Old 12-09-08, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
I got the Blu-ray with Clown Mask bust, as well as the Joker figurine. Passed on the Bat-pod edition, because I'm going to be getting the Mask packaging from Target in the morning.

Best Buy as giving away black t-shirts with the Batman logo made up of Ha Ha Ha's in white lettering. It says on the back: The Madness Begins on DVD & Blu-ray 12-9-08. Best Buy logo on left sleeve.

Also got an I Believe in Harvey Dent button and Joker playing card.
I was looking forward on your statement back in Sept. 23 (from the other thread)

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
I'm going to buy every single The Dark Knight edition that comes out... 2 possible different Steelbooks at FYE... a Blu-ray Steelbook... bring em on.
hahahaha (as what the Tshirt said).. Just Jokin.. Nick Crush, thanks for confirming that a Tshirt, Button and Card were the giveaways!

Will get mine later...

Question.. the DC Direct Mini Figures are for FEE and NOT FREE when you buy the special editions?
Old 12-09-08, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by xage
I was looking forward on your statement back in Sept. 23 (from the other thread)

hahahaha (as what the Tshirt said).. Just Jokin.. Nick Crush, thanks for confirming that a Tshirt, Button and Card were the giveaways!

Will get mine later...

Question.. the DC Direct Mini Figures are for FEE and NOT FREE when you buy the special editions?

Yea, the truth of the matter is, the Bat-pod BD simply didnt impress me for the dollar amount. Plus, I have reason to believe someone has gotten me the Hot Toys Bat-pod for Christmas.

Tomorrow I will be getting the FYE Steelbook, Target Mask BD, CC Why So Serious Packaging DVD, and Wal-Mart Coin-pack bundle (although I will be giving the DVD itself from the Wal-Mart pack as a gift, assuming it is individually wrapped).

And yes, the DC Direct Mini Figures were $9.99

Good luck tomorrow xage!
Old 12-09-08, 02:53 AM

I got a chance to have a look at the Australian 2-Disc DVD and you guys got ROYALLY Boned in the extras department.

The Extras on the US version had very little of the Gotham Uncovered, only 2 of the galleries and only the trailers as well as a useless digital copy, the only thing the two releases have in common was the IMAX scenes.

The OZ Version has 5 segments of Gotham Uncovered which calculated together runs 63:33 (which is roughly the same as the 64:10 from the HD version), all 4 galleries and the TV ads.

Again, you guys really got the short end of the stick, and it saddens me to say it too.
Old 12-09-08, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TDK w/ 2-in-1 DC Comic Book and a Two-Face Prop Replica Collector Coin (Wal-Mart Canada exclusive)

Old 12-09-08, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TDK w/ Journal and Batman Card (BlockBuster Canada Exclusive)

Old 12-09-08, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL @ the French Joker Why So Serious cover

Just picturing the Joker in my head taking the time to write Why So Serious in two languages
Old 12-09-08, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy Midnight Release Loot:

Campaign Button:

T-Shirt:

Front

Back

Old 12-09-08, 04:13 AM
TRC

Thanks for those pics howwon. That answers my question from the previous thread about whether or not the standard slipcover is included. I'm not too disapointed though. I think it's quite cool that there's a version of the movie with two unique images of the villain, but not one of the hero.
Old 12-09-08, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy Joker Mask DVD set:

Best Buy Batman Cowl DVD Set:

Batpod BR Set:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.