Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pineapple Express ---1/6/09

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pineapple Express ---1/6/09

Old 01-04-09, 05:41 PM
fwc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walmart.com lists an exclusive version of Pineapple Express, but doesn't yet have any specifics:

(the site won't let me post a URL since I have less than 15 total posts made)

This is priced at $19.96, and is listed separately from the single ($16.86) and double ($22.86) editions; could someone post info when they get it (I don't live near a walmart and have to order through the mail).
Old 01-05-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Same. Wasn't expecting to care for Sarah Marshall, but got into it, loved it, and ended up buying it. Not so much for Pineapple Express.
It was the complete opposite for me.

I found FSM absolutely forgettable (pun, intended), with little to no laughs and characters I didn't give two shits about - it was also poorly directed and edited.

Pineapple Express, however, was the most fun I had in the movies in a long time. Everything about the movie clicked for me, from the characters, the humor, the absurdity of it all, and the half-realistic action giving way to the full-on ridiculous action scenes - I found it to be very enjoyable and am really looking forward to the Blu-ray - though it's weird that there's no reviews for the dvd/bluray yet.
Old 01-05-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by superfro
I was at the screening at Comic Con and was hoping some of the Q&A from there would be on the disc. (Although I'm sure the stuff from the panel was much more entertaining in hindsight.)
I thought this was on the disc. Wasn't this where actors asked the questions?
Old 01-05-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
It was the complete opposite for me.

I found FSM absolutely forgettable (pun, intended), with little to no laughs and characters I didn't give two shits about - it was also poorly directed and edited.

Pineapple Express, however, was the most fun I had in the movies in a long time. Everything about the movie clicked for me, from the characters, the humor, the absurdity of it all, and the half-realistic action giving way to the full-on ridiculous action scenes - I found it to be very enjoyable and am really looking forward to the Blu-ray - though it's weird that there's no reviews for the dvd/bluray yet.
FSM had a bit too much dick and not enough jokes in it. Paul Rudd made it watchable, though.
Old 01-05-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Pineapple Express ---1/6/09

got my 2 disk in the mail today.
Old 01-05-09, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by nezumi
It's kind of a difficult movie to make exclusives for. I mean, sure, a third bonus disc would have been cool. What other freebies could they really offer, though? Free rolling papers? Cannibis leaf car air freshener? Daewoo-shaped DVD case?
yes. . .all of those!!! but really, i was thinking maybe a t shirt or bonus disc. now days, a lot of the freebies have nothing to do with the movie. . .
Old 01-06-09, 08:15 AM

i stopped in walmart this morning before work. their 'exclusive' was the 1-disc unrated bundled with Joe Dirt for 19.96

HAPPY NEW YEAR TALKERS!!
Old 01-06-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I thought this was on the disc. Wasn't this where actors asked the questions?
They did a Q&A panel at the actual Con and then there was an offsite screening of the actual movie later that night that I attended. They also did a Q&A there, but it was much more informal, and really not that funny per say, so I'm sure the other stuff is better anyway. (I was in the front row, so it was just all just a purely selfish want anyway. ) It was super awesome though! Got to meet everybody and they were all really cool folks!

Can't wait to get the BD of this today!
Old 01-06-09, 10:18 AM

They did a Q&A panel at the actual Con and then there was an offsite screening of the actual movie later that night that I attended. They also did a Q&A there, but it was much more informal, and really not that funny per say, so I'm sure the other stuff is better anyway. (I was in the front row, so it was just all just a purely selfish want anyway. ) It was super awesome though! Got to meet everybody and they were all really cool folks!

Can't wait to get the BD of this today!
Was this the screening with Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes in the audience? I was there too! My friend asked the nonsensical "Bromance" question, he tried to clarify the question to David Gordon Green at a signing the next day and he (Green) caught me rolling my eyes and shook my hand when my friend turned away. Comic Con is a magical place.
Old 01-06-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
Was this the screening with Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes in the audience? I was there too! My friend asked the nonsensical "Bromance" question, he tried to clarify the question to David Gordon Green at a signing the next day and he (Green) caught me rolling my eyes and shook my hand when my friend turned away. Comic Con is a magical place.
Yeah totally! My wife asked the final question about how they decide on what references they use in the movies so that they aren't dated within a year of being made. And she got booed. Until Seth said "Fuck you guys, I think it's a good question!"
Old 01-06-09, 10:35 AM

Yeah totally! My wife asked the final question about how they decide on what references they use in the movies so that they aren't dated within a year of being made. And she got booed. Until Seth said "Fuck you guys, I think it's a good question!"
That was a good question! My other friend asked the first of the last questions. whether they had any intention of working with the 'Spaced' guys...he got booed too. It was a fun night.
Old 01-06-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

this movie is not available at netflix (very long wait) and it has an unknown release date at blockbuster.

is the only way you can see this movie is if you buy it?
Old 01-06-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
this movie is not available at netflix (very long wait) and it has an unknown release date at blockbuster.

redbox ftw!
Old 01-06-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
FSM had a bit too much dick and not enough jokes in it. Paul Rudd made it watchable, though.
Oh don't be ridiculous. You can never have too much dick!
Old 01-06-09, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Oh don't be ridiculous. You can never have too much dick!
You can if you're in jail.
Old 01-07-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

It's at Blockbuster, I work at a Blockbuster and I rented it like 2 weeks ago before it was released so it's there. If it says that online I find that very funny since that is one of the movies we were pushing for presale!
Old 01-07-09, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

I checked blockbuster online and now it is showing in my queue

I guess I will wait until next week to rent it since I got righteous kill for this week.
Old 01-07-09, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
you can if you're in jail.
zing!
Old 01-07-09, 09:21 PM

Did anyone else think that the Digital Copy for Pineapple Express was actually pretty sweet? I think it was a great idea to just be able to download the movie, especially in itunes, compared to using a soon to be coaster. And if you are one of the people who complained about discs, don't start complaining about it hogging up bandwidth. I hope more DVD's have downloadable digital copies, and charging for 2 discs, compared to charging for 3 disc when one is just a digital copy.
Old 01-08-09, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
Did anyone else think that the Digital Copy for Pineapple Express was actually pretty sweet? I think it was a great idea to just be able to download the movie, especially in itunes, compared to using a soon to be coaster. And if you are one of the people who complained about discs, don't start complaining about it hogging up bandwidth. I hope more DVD's have downloadable digital copies, and charging for 2 discs, compared to charging for 3 disc when one is just a digital copy.
I'd agree if there was actually a difference in price, but $22.99 on sale is way too much for either one of those. Remember when movies used to have the 2-disc versions as the standard version and you could buy them for $13-15 the first week they came out?