Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

October Horror Movie Challenge 4: The Results Thread...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

October Horror Movie Challenge 4: The Results Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 04:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Russell S
56th. Russell S - 27
Goal: 31 (Out of state wedding prevented it)
2007 total: 31 (Goal: 40)
2006 total: 37 (Goal: 50)
Continuing in his annual tradition of not meeting goals
Thanks for pointing that out for all to see, Chad.
But at least you're learning and lowering your goal each year.
Old 11-10-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
LOL. Next year, your goal will be 21.
Old 11-10-08, 04:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
I would have had 134 if I had been able to make it through Howling III. Did anyone else abandon films partway through?
Oh...that doesn't make it sound like I'll enjoy the Howling marathon I have planned for next year.

I have a "rule" where I never leave a movie early or start a movie late.

If I get in a theater even 2 seconds late, I'll walk out and go see something else. I'll also finish anything, no matter how bad it is or how uncomfortable it makes me feel. Only have 2 theater exceptions for leaving early, and both of those were mainly because I wasn't alone, although I insisted on walking out of Down to Earth. Oh wait, this isn't a personal blog entry you say, but a forum discussion where I was supposedly answering someone's question? Sorry.

I actually did stop two films part way thru. Both were in post midnight "bonus time" on Halloween, and both were stopped just for sleep reasons. I plan to finish both my next weekend off. I'm pretty stubborn, and will likely always finish a movie I start.
Old 11-10-08, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I abandoned this movie called "Dark Fields" halfway through. Another movie called "A Night to Dismember" I also couldn't finish. Considering that I can watch almost anything, even "Manos: The Hands of Fate" and the cinematic classic "Avia: Vampire Hunter" which looks like it was shot in someone's back yard, this should tell you how utterly wretched these two movies were if even I couldn't finish them.
Old 11-10-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
I don't get it, what does that mean?
I think you mentioned in one of the threads that you weren't a fan of the film "Timecode". Now, as to why I actually included that bit of info ...your guess is as good as mine. It's all a blur.

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Also the Holiday Movie Challenge begins on the 24th NOT the 17th, that's my fault I haven't gotten a mod to change the thread title.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
Chad, it's no big deal but those 22 movies were the movies from the "31 movies in 31 days" list I watched, not first time viewings (I didn't keep track of those).

Edit: Quick count of first time viewings: 89.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Edit to add: My own fault for not properly numbering my list (don't think we should number above 100), but my countable total was only 139, and 121 first-time viewings.
Fixed.
Old 11-10-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Congrats to poster mayhem on the 1st place finish.

I've definitely noticed a bit of a trend that most of the top finishers from years past tend to fizzle out the following year. It happened with me going from 1st in 2006 to dropping out before the end of last year's challenge and not even participating in this one. I don't know about the others but the feeling of relief on November 1st was huge. I didn't realize how burned out one could become on watching movies. Taking this year off definitely helped to get me interested again and I'm looking forward to getting back into the game next year.
Old 11-10-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Wait ... I won something?!? Makes suffering through a repeat viewing of "Blood Feast" in the wee hours of Halloween night (to barely reach 100) worth it!
Old 11-10-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have had 134 if I had been able to make it through Howling III. Did anyone else abandon films partway through?
I had to abandon the actor commentary for Resident Evil, the first time I've ever done that. The combination of Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez formed a vortex of pain that made me want to inflict bodily harm similar to what edwardnortonfan has expressed in the past with certain movies.

Also, as a rule, I don't do anything else while watching a movie, but during Manos: The Hand of Fate, I decided to clean up the basement while that painful movie was showing. Also, during Scream Bloody Murder (Claw of Terror) I had to watch it in parts. It was on YouTube, and it is incredibly difficult for me to sit in front of my computer and just sit there and watch something. I am so easily distracted since it only shows on one of my monitors.

Last edited by Numes; 11-10-08 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-10-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for compiling the list, that was a lot of fun to read.

28th. onebyone - 68
2007 count: 57
I am going to be in for the 100. So, what happened?
And I will get that 100 next year damn it!
Old 11-10-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Hard Candy. I watched it about halfway through and gave up on it.
A story about a young girl meeting a older man on the internet.
They meet and she terrorizes him. I got the meaning of the movie,
to get back at internet predators but I just didn't need to go on with the movie. It didn't hold my interest all the way through.
Old 11-10-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chad - Once again, awesome job on the results listing (hint, hint other challenge creators.) I remember last year I somehow missed the challenge (and the year before, and the year before) but enjoyed keeping up with the results thread.

One thing that does bug me, though, is the way you do the numbering. If two or more people tie, the next place should not the next number. I.e. there were three people tied for 9th. The next person (Tarfrimmer) should be 12th, not 10th. Plus, by default, the last person would represent the total number of participants.
Old 11-10-08, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats to one and all. It was a fun time. It's funny but after I watched a horror flick the other day I instinctively went to this site to log it in my list. Maybe we can start a year long movie marathon? (Just kidding! )
Old 11-11-08, 01:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
I think you mentioned in one of the threads that you weren't a fan of the film "Timecode". Now, as to why I actually included that bit of info ...your guess is as good as mine. It's all a blur.
Unfortunately I think you are mistaking me for someone else, because I've never even heard of a movie called "Timecode".
Old 11-11-08, 08:31 AM

Thanks Chad for the results.

My dreams of #1 were put out but I'll live. Actually, next year I'm not setting a number goal but something else instead. It was too much of a toll this year.
Old 11-11-08, 09:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
But at least you're learning and lowering your goal each year.
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
LOL. Next year, your goal will be 21.
Well, I remembered after this challenge started that I promised myself after the the challenge last year I'd set a goal and cut it in half this year.

So, if anyone reading this remembers next year and I actually set a goal above 15 - 20, call me on it. PLEASE. I'm not going to ever come close to 100 in a month, but it would at least be nice to reach my goal for once.
Old 11-11-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JOE29
Hard Candy. I watched it about halfway through and gave up on it.
A story about a young girl meeting a older man on the internet.
They meet and she terrorizes him. I got the meaning of the movie,
to get back at internet predators but I just didn't need to go on with the movie. It didn't hold my interest all the way through.
I have to defend Hard Candy. If this is what you got out of the movie, you missed the point completely. Internet predators had nothing to do with the end means of the film. I believe this is a terrific revenge story, and you have to follow it through to the end. It's one of the few movies I watched again the next day. And the cinema photography shows real competence and a technical eye for what can be accomplished in frame.

Again - you've missed the point of the movie. It deserves a full viewing.
Old 11-11-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numes
Good call on suggesting Death Bed: The Bed that Eats as one of the 31 next year. I second that. I have already purchased it from the DDD/DVD Planet 25% off sale for next year. It will always be known to me as "that Dick Laurent bed movie."
My wife thought this was hilarious, as did I! This challenge has really presented us with some memorable moments.

One of my favorites was when I was called out for misspelling "hostile" as "hostel"...
Old 11-11-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got back from being on vaca for the past week, and just wanted to say I indeed did not fizzle out and having the Sox not in the WS this year helped as well. Thanks Chad for all the work put into this!!!
Old 11-12-08, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by brainee
Wait ... I won something?!? Makes suffering through a repeat viewing of "Blood Feast" in the wee hours of Halloween night (to barely reach 100) worth it!
I won, too...really wasn't expecting that. And I know exactly how you feel, as well. I experienced great pain watching Billy Drago in 2 different films.

Note, please don't send me anything with Billy Drago in it.
Old 11-12-08, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Chad, nice job yet again of making good sense out of all the results, sorry I wasn't able to get myself in gear, hopefully next year!
Old 11-12-08, 06:03 PM

Good work again Chad. I was above my previous totals still falling well below 31. I'm pretty happy thought towards the last week I bought all the legacy collection dvds, so I'm looking forward to watching those next year (Going to try to hold out)

Let me know who I should send a few used discs to.
Old 11-12-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
My wife thought this was hilarious, as did I! This challenge has really presented us with some memorable moments.

One of my favorites was when I was called out for misspelling "hostile" as "hostel"...
I'm glad I was able to help provide you a memorable moment from the challenge.

I can't believe I actually won something. Thanks to anyone who voted for my list. It makes me feel better for spending so much time searching for film posters, especially for some pretty obscure films.

And thanks to everyone who participated. I really enjoyed all the discussion and film recommendations. This was my first year participating and I'm already planning on doing this again next year.

But the most thanks goes to Chad for all the work he put into this. As I said, I had a blast and am already looking forward to next year.
Old 11-13-08, 07:26 AM

Thanks for compiling the results Chad. Wow, I totally sucked this year. Stupid cancer. I'll try to do better next year. It was fun reading everyone's lists.
Old 11-13-08, 11:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a lot of fun as always, I try not to watch much horror movies all year and save them for October. No goal for next year, I'll probably never get to 100. Maybe if I watch movies on my iPod during work. More than 2 movies every day would really inter fear with the rest of my hobbies, hockey, video games, though, I'm lucky my girlfriend doesn't hate horror movies.
Old 11-14-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
[CENTER]

32nd. Darkgod – 62
First Time Viewings: 30
Advantage: Girlfriend digs horror movies as much as him.
Goal: 62
Last Year: 61 2nd Goal: 100 3rd Goal: 122
Be sure and look for him in "Only Go There at Night" for a brief scene as a farmer who decapitates some poor bastard.

:
Could have done a hundred, but I got burnt out by the third week.

Thanks chad for all your support in this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.