Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Official Wrestling DVD Discussion Thread - Volume VIII

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
You might be write. The legal ramifications of a DVD which is partially capitalizing on someone's death (let's face it, Owen Hart was great, but his death made him sadly unique) could be great. But if they handled the way they did the Bret DVD, making it mostly a bio, with some stuff on his death, it could be a success. What matches do you think would be featured?
The problem with Owen Hart was that he had very good matches but very few classics in my opinion. Owen Hart is a tough one to call because I sometimes feel people just think of his death and immediately assume he was better than he really was. The bottom line is Owen was never more than upper mid card at best, and this is taking into consideration his great feud with Bret in 1994.

The circumstances surrounding his death will always overshadow any DVD release, however I wouldn't say no to a release in the future. To compile a complete and detailed Owen Hart DVD release you would have to release a lot of his early work including Japan and Stampede, leading into his classic matches such as Wrestlemania X against Bret Hart.
Old 11-10-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sg2386
I wish they included Sid vs. Scott Steiner from 2000 and Bret Hart vs. Goldberg from 99 just for historical purposes.

Also Benoit vs. Jarrett from 99 in the Ladder match was awesome too, that match was suppose to be included in the Ladder match DVD but for some reason it was cut (before the whole Benoit incident).
Right on the nose. I think those three would have me a lot more psyched. I understand WCW stuffed from '99-'01, but the last main event in Starrcade history is important, as was Bret/Goldberg.

I've been looking forward to this collection for almost a year, and I have to say that it is looking like a major letdown.
Old 11-10-08, 07:19 PM

I looked at Best Buy's weekly ad and DID NOT see the Eddie Gerrero Tin set.

Does anyone have a link of pic of the ad from Sunday's paper?
Old 11-10-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PaulNJ21
What is the link to the KOCH site listing? I can't find this anywhere on there.
heres the exact link:

http://www.kochcan.com/05_catalogue/...em=KOC-DV-9283

on the description just click "read more".
Old 11-10-08, 09:56 PM

i highly doubt thats the official match listing

for one silvervision is the official one to have it, also why would they have the years all messed up, it opens with a 96 match then back to the 80s and back and fourth

if it really is real then it still is good, atleast a pure wcw dvd, but a couple of those eddie matches are already released on the same dvd that is coming out RIGHT NOW, and hogan-sting is already on hogan anthology and the ladder match in on ladder match dvd

the kidman match from 98 from what i remember was really good, or maybe a outsiders match would of been good just to have that tag team nwo featured
Old 11-10-08, 10:08 PM

ok just searched it, it is official

ya few matches already released that sucks, but still better than lots of other crap(kane dvd), always wanted to see flair-vader among others, and rewatch hogan-piper
nice to see a wcw only dvd
i hope they release other wcw dvds, seeing how not much of it has been already used unlike wwe's library were we see the same matches on 4 different dvds lol
Old 11-10-08, 10:14 PM

Looks like I will pass on the starrcade dvd, as it is exactly what they are showing on wwe 24/7 this month and i am directly recording it to dvd so i won't have to pick it up.
Old 11-10-08, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by chuckliddell
also why would they have the years all messed up, it opens with a 96 match then back to the 80s and back and fourth
It's set up that way because it's a countdown. The matches on the DVD are what is being aired right now (in 5 match segments) on WWE 24/7 for their "Essential Starrcade" program. It's the top-25 matches in Starrcade history, and I believe it was voted on by the fans.

I assume the DVD will have a little documentary on Starrcade or something, as the matches are bridged on WWE 24/7 by different guys in for each 5 match part (Mean Gene hosted matches 25-21, Tully Blanchard did matches 20-16).
Old 11-10-08, 10:20 PM

its so much better having it on official dvd than ripping stuff to dvd
Old 11-11-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i got the Eddie DVD with SD show from Sunrise Records here in Canada (they only had about 3 copies). But i had such a hard time finding the RAW tribute show from Best Buy. I went to 2 in my area and none had it.

Did anyone in Canada successfully find the Eddie dvd with RAW show from Best Buy??
Old 11-11-08, 01:58 PM

what is the price of the Eddie dvd at FYE
Old 11-11-08, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rated_R_Outlaw
what is the price of the Eddie dvd at FYE
$19.99 as the standard 3-disc, $21.99 for the set with the SmackDown! Tribute show.

In case anyone is wondering, Benoit has been completely edited out of the tribute shows. The opening of the RAW show, anytime that Benoit would be highly visible, they edited in crowd shots or unused shots of the other stars on the stage.

On the RAW tribute, they moved some things around and edited a few things. Some unused footage (such as Flair's post match celebration and a moment of time from the announcers) is added into the show, while some things (such as Benoit, Stephanie McMahon, and oddly Rey Mysterio's remembering segments) are taken out.

They added in 6-minute long "remembering" segments from both Regal and Malenko on the SmackDown! tribute and reorganized the show so that Chavo vs. JBL is the main event instead of Benoit/HHH. Music from both shows (Cash's "Hurt," 3 Doors Down's "Here Without You" and a few Diva entrance themes) have been dubbed over due to rights.
Old 11-11-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, thanks for the info. I'm glad I wont have to waste my time trying to track that FYE set down now.
Old 11-11-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
This is my count of Starrcade matches already available on other WWE DVD releases.
Let me know if I missed any:

Massive disappointment.
Yep, thumbs way down on this dvd set. It seems to just focus on the guys who went on to have successful runs in WWE. And where's is the Black Scorpion vs Sting Match? I've always wanted to see that match but it looks like I never will.

As far as WWE cutting out Benoit in Eddie's dvd set, my question is why? Yes, we all know that the murder of his wife and child and killing himself was terrible but does that mean what he did in the ring will be never be shown again? He was one of the best all around wrestlers that ever competed in the squared circle and that should be the main focus instead of the horrible acts he committed in his personal life.
Old 11-11-08, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, Need some help. The eddie smackdown bonus dvd was either sold out or they never got it in at my local FYE, so I'm shit out of luck. Anybody wanna help a brother out and pickup an extra one up?

I'm offering price you paid, 10 bucks on top of that and of course shipping.
Old 11-11-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by will94
$19.99 as the standard 3-disc, $21.99 for the set with the SmackDown! Tribute show.

In case anyone is wondering, Benoit has been completely edited out of the tribute shows. The opening of the RAW show, anytime that Benoit would be highly visible, they edited in crowd shots or unused shots of the other stars on the stage.

On the RAW tribute, they moved some things around and edited a few things. Some unused footage (such as Flair's post match celebration and a moment of time from the announcers) is added into the show, while some things (such as Benoit, Stephanie McMahon, and oddly Rey Mysterio's remembering segments) are taken out.

They added in 6-minute long "remembering" segments from both Regal and Malenko on the SmackDown! tribute and reorganized the show so that Chavo vs. JBL is the main event instead of Benoit/HHH. Music from both shows (Cash's "Hurt," 3 Doors Down's "Here Without You" and a few Diva entrance themes) have been dubbed over due to rights.
That sounds okay. The biggest problem with taking out HHH/Benouit is that there were only 5 matches to begin with that night, so it kind of kills one of the reasons to get it.

I also already bought the Best Buy tin, and a part of me doesn't want to spend $60 on what was, to begin with, a 3-disc set.
Old 11-11-08, 07:00 PM

Picked up the Best Buy Exclusive Eddie Guerrero DVD. I had no luck at the narest one by me. Due to the fact that it wasn't added into their inventory. Went to the second closest one and they had it.

The Best Buy tin is very thick so to speak.

shacmasta, which FYE store you went to?
Old 11-11-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrIaNMeRcY
Picked up the Best Buy Exclusive Eddie Guerrero DVD. I had no luck at the narest one by me. Due to the fact that it wasn't added into their inventory. Went to the second closest one and they had it.

The Best Buy tin is very thick so to speak.

shacmasta, which FYE store you went to?
Steinway Street, The only one still alive in my area since Rockafeller and Jackson Heights went under.

And this after I went to them on sunday and asked specifically to pre-order the 4 disc version which they had in one of their circular things. My gut tells me they never got them in and if they did it was no more then 2 and they were plucked off.
Old 11-11-08, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by shacmasta
Steinway Street, The only one still alive in my area since Rockafeller and Jackson Heights went under.

And this after I went to them on sunday and asked specifically to pre-order the 4 disc version which they had in one of their circular things. My gut tells me they never got them in and if they did it was no more then 2 and they were plucked off.
I'll check out the Newport Mall location on Thursday or Friday.

I wished FYE would open a store where Tower Records used to be in NoHo.
Old 11-11-08, 07:33 PM

so much editing on the raw tribute i wont be getting that, how is the smackdown one, any edits on that one besides benoit

is johnny cash-hurt video dubbed over as well?

i cant remember is the raw tribute the one with rey-hbk, if so that match is already on reys dvd

anyways is the smackdown tribute worth getting?
Old 11-11-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shacmasta

Thanks for the heads up. That's the one I was gonna hit, as well.
Old 11-11-08, 08:03 PM

The FYE stories don't surprise me. I picked up the Best Buy tin and traded everything in but the RAW tribute to get the 4-disc at my local FYE and the guy at the counter asked why I was swapping Viva La Raza in already.

I mentioned that I wanted to get their version with the bonus disc and he replied "we've got a four disc version?" and walked over to find it himself.

When he rang it up, he mentioned something was wrong with the SKUs in their computer, so it's possible that many stores may not have even gotten the 4-disc version.
Old 11-11-08, 08:10 PM

The first FYE I went to had 3 3 disc sets and knew nothing of a 4 discer. The second one had 4 4 disc sets. It was $19.99.
Old 11-11-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of a strange question, but can anyone confirm that there is, indeed, a RAW bonus disc? I just saw a listing on ebay for the set, and the guy mentioned that we was immediately selling it because it did not have the RAW bonus.
Old 11-11-08, 08:44 PM

I went to my local Best Buy and got the Tin edition for 39.99...the store had gotten 7 of the Tin version and 10+ of the regular release. Gonna hit T-world stores to get the one with the SD tribute.

Shac I'll let you know if I find it. I'm on LI so we're looking at 2-3 daus delivey if you want

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.