DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Original My Bloody Valentine gets a SE (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/542513-original-my-bloody-valentine-gets-se.html)

Paul1957 10-28-08 11:14 AM

Original My Bloody Valentine gets a SE

From Shock Till You Drop. Hope this is the unrated cut, only extras announced so far are deleted scenes, hope they're added to the film.

My Bloody Valentine Special Edition on the Way
Source:.com October 27, 2008

.com has received early word that Lionsgate is prepping a special edition DVD of George Mihalka's 1981 slasher film My Bloody Valentine. Artwork is in, but details on the bonus material at this time is slim. We're told deleted scenes may possibly be included - that's a far cry from the bare bones release from Paramount a few years back.

The arrival of this special edition, of course, is to coincide with the January 16th bow of My Bloody Valentine 3D, so look for the DVD in stores on January 13th.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3078/mbvdvd2bz2.jpg
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/m...jpg/1/w358.png

islandclaws 10-28-08 11:31 AM

Please let this be uncut.

Torchur317 10-28-08 11:35 AM

Hell yeah!!!!

Seantn 10-28-08 11:41 AM

I doubt it's uncut. If it was, wouldn't they plaster it all over the front cover?

"UNRATED, UNCENSORED FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!" That would be a marketing hook right there, so I'm doubting it's uncut.

clckworang 10-28-08 11:44 AM

I should have known to hold off buying this one a little longer. I just bought this title (the double feature with April Fool's Day) this month. But I would certainly have no issue double-dipping if this were the uncut version. At least give us those scenes as extras! At the very least!

Giles 10-28-08 12:06 PM

not unrated = no sale

plain and simple. The legendary cut scenes need to be seen since they were first published in Fangoria at the film's initial release.

How did Lionsgate get the rights? I remember reading that the director had found some of the deleted gore scenes from a European source, but that Paramount was relunctant in releasing a unrated video release of the film.

scarredgod 10-28-08 12:25 PM

i would love to see the deleted scenes reinserted but it doesnt look like thats happening, so at least hopefully as supplements.

Giles 10-28-08 12:43 PM

I can only say that having seen the deleted scene in print form, that all the death's have been cut so drastically and essentially nudered the film.

Lionsgate releasing this is a mixed blessing, either they will try to present the cut scenes or they'll do what they did with 'Murder Set Pieces' and only release the inferior R-rated cut with just a smidgen of supplements and pass it off as a special edition. This the same company who didn't know what the fuck to do with 'Midnight Meat Train'

-TRANCE- 10-28-08 12:44 PM

It's not worth it if we're only getting the uncut scenes as a bonus feature. I want this to be the completely uncut version in all with new audio/video.

tellybox 10-28-08 01:20 PM

This has the potential to be amazing.

Do. not. disappoint. Lionsgate.

riotinmyskull 10-28-08 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9033988)
not unrated = no sale

plain and simple. The legendary cut scenes need to be seen since they were first published in Fangoria at the film's initial release.

^ this.

Cardsfan111 10-28-08 02:44 PM

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, OP. As others have stated, it'll be interesting to see how they do with this one.

Zen Peckinpah 10-28-08 03:13 PM

Haven't seen the film period, but I thought I heard an uncut version aired on pay cable in the 80's.

Dustin P. 10-28-08 04:21 PM

I cannot wait for this, if its the uncut version :)

hotsexyboi 10-28-08 05:19 PM

I can't wait to get this as I have the barebones release! BRING IT ON BABY! I jut hope it is the uncut version but I'm sure we'll know more info later as it gets closer to the release date. :)

tylergfoster 10-28-08 06:26 PM

Nice, but the redone cover art for the Paramount version was much better IMO.

Like this, but of course it wasn't the double feature, it was just MBV by itself: http://www.amazon.com/Bloody-Valenti...5236351&sr=8-2

Seantn 10-28-08 08:33 PM

This was over at Bloody-Disgusting. Sounds like maybe that deleted footage will be there, just not re-instated back in the film...or perhaps they're just deleted scenes and the gore is still missing? Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

================================
The cult classic horror film MY BLOODY VALENTINE gets special treatment when it returns to DVD from Lionsgate. A terrifying tale about a small town that faces horrifying consequences for holding a holiday dance on the anniversary of a deadly tragedy, MY BLOODY VALENTINE: Special Edition features all-new bonus features including never-before-seen lost footage, a featurette examining the back history of the making of the film and the Ultimate Slasher interactive guide that allows the user to delve into the evolution of the slasher film/horror genre.

Julie Walker 10-29-08 12:14 AM

While it's wishful thinking. It'd be nice if the 'deleted' scenes is just character bits, and the gore is restored to the film. I recall the producer finding 9 minutes of extra footage. I doubt all that is gore footage.

But it's highly doubtful at this case and it'll all just be used as deleted scenes. But I guess it's better than nothing. The next best thing is, that now that it's out of Paramounts hands(for how long, I don't know). Maybe another company could get ahold of it someday and restore it?

Paul1957 10-29-08 08:59 AM

Latest from Shock Till You Drop:

Special features will include never-before-seen lost footage, a featurette examining the back history of the making of the film and the Ultimate Slasher interactive guide that allows the user to delve into the evolution of the slasher film/horror genre.

riotinmyskull 10-29-08 09:23 AM

lets just hope the lost footage is reinserted and not just deleted scenes.

man*machine 10-29-08 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Paul1957 (Post 9035918)
Latest from Shock Till You Drop:

Special features will include never-before-seen lost footage, a featurette examining the back history of the making of the film and the Ultimate Slasher interactive guide that allows the user to delve into the evolution of the slasher film/horror genre.

Well, that certainly doesn't sound good for the footage being reinserted. Oh well, the lost footage and making-of is welcome enough, I guess. Not quite that "special" for a Special Edition, but still way better than the Paramount release.

I like the cover art a lot. It's closer to the original one-sheet at least.

Sex Fiend 10-29-08 01:40 PM

I would bet money that the lost scenes will NOT be re-inserted. They probably aren't in the greatest of shape, and I can't see Lion's Gate springing for restoration and re-editing for a title that has been out there for so long and probably already sold as many copies to mainstream (ie - not 1908's horror fans) DVD buyers as it is ever going to.

Still, I guess this is a nice bow to fans of the film (as I am) on the part of Lion's Gate. I may pick it up, depending on whether the new content is the actual gore infamously cut from the film. If it's just some kind of lame outtakes or other edits, I'll pass.

In any case, a great slasher flick, even with the (unfortunate) edits. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Also, some little known trivia about the film:

Spoiler:
Neil Affleck, who plays the crazy killer Axel, has gone on to be a well-respected animation director, directing (among many other things) several classic episodes of The Simpsons.

Giles 10-29-08 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend (Post 9036635)
I would bet money that the lost scenes will NOT be re-inserted. They probably aren't in the greatest of shape, and I can't see Lion's Gate springing for restoration and re-editing for a title that has been out there for so long and probably already sold as many copies to mainstream (ie - not 1908's horror fans) DVD buyers as it is ever going to.

Still, I guess this is a nice bow to fans of the film (as I am) on the part of Lion's Gate. I may pick it up, depending on whether the new content is the actual gore infamously cut from the film. If it's just some kind of lame outtakes or other edits, I'll pass.

In any case, a great slasher flick, even with the (unfortunate) edits. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Also, some little known trivia about the film:

Spoiler:
Neil Affleck, who plays the crazy killer Axel, has gone on to be a well-respected animation director, directing (among many other things) several classic episodes of The Simpsons.

what's unfortunate about these films missing scenes due to film/censor boards, is that it seems very odd that the studio has final cut and decides if and when footage is deemed to hard for R-rated standards... what, they cut the original negative and make the R-rated cut the de facto release print, both nationally and internationally. The MPAA rating is only applicable for the release of the film in the states, not abroad, non-Hollywood studios release multitude versions depending on the specific film markets. Japan and Sweden/Denmark are very lax on film violence, yet anything released from the states which has problems with the MPAA gets cut and no one gets to see the extreme scenes. There are many movies that have been cut to receive their R-ratings, yet was a master uncut print culled and saved for international release, in most cases never, that footage has long been lost to the cutting room floor. Will we ever see the cut scenes to Friday the 13th Part 2 - the shishkabobbed lovers scene, nope, will we ever see the longer bloodier escalator scene cut from 'Total Recall' - nope, Paramount and Carolco didn't save the excised scenes.

asianxcore 10-31-08 05:50 PM

Down with the new cover art.

I'll be happy if they include the extra footage in some shape or form.

The Monkees 10-31-08 11:23 PM

How did Lionsgate get a hold of this, wasn't it released by Paramount?