Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I need some much needed advice, thinking about selling off my 500+ dvds to go blu-ray

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I need some much needed advice, thinking about selling off my 500+ dvds to go blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not selling my DVD collection, I have spent too much time and money on it. I am starting to buy new releases on Blu-ray, I have a few double dips, Blade Runner, The Godfather Collection and The Fifth Element, but a lot of the older movies look great upscaled, and I am the only person that I know who has a PS3 or a Blu-ray player.
Old 10-14-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I have only purchased three-five Blu's where I had DVD's already. Everything else has been a new purchase. However, there are still some DVD's (like Zodiac) I would like to upgrade.
Old 10-14-08, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do not replace your entire collection. Just replace the ones that you really love and are really obsessed over the video quality. I woudn't replace comedies - do you really need the Blu Ray of Superbad or Tommie Boy? And I wouldn't replace those DVD versions you have that have almost perfect video/audio quality (unless they are your really favorite, loved flicks).
Old 10-14-08, 09:09 AM

I wouldn't sell my dvd collection, i would just get new movies on blu-ray and movies i really like id buy them again on blu-ray
Old 10-14-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Slightly off topic, but can someone tell me how to sell the dvds to DVD Planet? I can't figure out how to sign up for an account or what to do next. The credit they offer seem to be pretty fair.
Old 10-14-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Slightly off topic, but can someone tell me how to sell the dvds to DVD Planet? I can't figure out how to sign up for an account or what to do next. The credit they offer seem to be pretty fair.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...e-machine.html
Old 10-14-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 445 Likes on 251 Posts
I have no idea why you would want to sell all your DVDs when some of the titles you have such as Henry Fool will probably not see the light of day on Blu-ray anytime soon.

That being said, I will say that the bulk of your collection will probably make its way onto Blu-ray in the next few years. However, these are the films where you won't get much money in return when selling them. So I guess you need to figure out how badly you want Blu-ray...are you willing to sell most of your DVDs for $3 to start buying Blu-rays at $20 to $30 right now? If not, then I say wait for the prices of Blu-ray to come down, which is what I am doing. Warner will be lowering the prices of their catalog Blu-rays by $10 at the end of this year and I am sure other studios will follow within the next year.
Old 10-14-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenVulture

I'm not sure what I was supposed to see in that thread, but since it was 11 pages I mostly skimmed it.

I can see how to get a quote on the DVDPlanet website, but I can't find anyway to go to the next step....
Old 10-14-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm not sure what I was supposed to see in that thread, but since it was 11 pages I mostly skimmed it.

I can see how to get a quote on the DVDPlanet website, but I can't find anyway to go to the next step....
1. Go to the QuoteMachine and enter the title of the DVD you want to sell. Match the UPC code to the disc you're selling, then click on the price given to add it to your quote.

2. Click "Continue Quoting" to add another DVD, and keep doing that until you're done.

3. Click "Checkout" to finish. The site will walk you through creating an account.

How hard is that?
Old 10-14-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Do not replace your entire collection. Just replace the ones that you really love and are really obsessed over the video quality. I woudn't replace comedies - do you really need the Blu Ray of Superbad or Tommie Boy? And I wouldn't replace those DVD versions you have that have almost perfect video/audio quality (unless they are your really favorite, loved flicks).
this is my opinion and pretty much how i have handled dealing with SD and BD.
Old 10-14-08, 07:07 PM

Mr. Salty is DEAD ON here.

What you should do is simply use DVD Planet to the best advantage and slowly trade in and get what you may REALLY want on Blu-Ray that is actually out or what is coming out soon. DVD Planet in some cases is EXTREMELY generous in their trade in credit prices...you'll be surprised.

To off-load all your DVDs is a bit wacky since a lot of stuff may NEVER show up on Blu-Ray. Its not an all or nothing proposition here.
Old 10-14-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
^ Wouldn't that be Bearish on Blu, rather than Bullish??
Yes, it would.

(This is why my girlfriend handles our investments. )
Old 10-14-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Sell your dvds as soon as possible the ones that are likely to be released on Blu-ray or are already on Blu-ray. How much are used copies of VHS movies worth now? Virtually nothing and dvd will be the same way in a couple of years. Every film released stands to benefit from the upgrade to Blu-ray in superior audio and video over dvd. The longer one holds on to their dvd collection the less it will be worth.
Old 10-15-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am buying Blu now. I have basically quit buying DVD unless it's a TV box set that is not being released in High Def.

On the other hand, if you can't afford it, wait until it becomes more affordable. I got rid of almost 200 dvds in April, but won't be selling them all. Buy the ones you love watching the most.
Old 10-15-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I would hold on to your DVDs for a while. If you don't have an HDTV (sounds like you don't, from the original post), I would get that first. That's already a huge step up from seeing DVDs on a small tube TV.

Here's why I think you don't need to sell your DVDs now. Sure, the "value" of DVDs will drop in the next few years. What might get you $5 now will get you $2 in the future.

But, think of the correlation. Blu-rays now are $14.99 (for old, catalog releases) to $27.99. If Blu-rays drop in price like DVDs did (which they should, since they have been), it will be easy to find Blu-rays for $7.50 to $20. You may have "lost" $3 due to the lower DVD value, but you gained $5 to $10 (or more) thanks to the drop in the BD's price.

A movie would have to be exceptional for me to spend more than $20 on it. While I've got an HD DVD and BD player, I'm growing my collection very slowly, since I'd rather expand it in the future once titles are in a better price range.
Old 10-15-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don't sell off your DVDs. When I went Blu back in February I didn't have any plans on selling off my DVDs and I still don't. With all the time and effort spent into building my DVD collection I just don't see much of a point of selling them all off for around $5. A good portion of my collection is TOD titles and I won't sell them off because a lot of them I watch with my grandma or aunt and remembering watching for ex. Homicide: Life on the Street with my grandma when we were buying the DVDs was something special and keeping the sets is a reminder of those good times. DVD upconversion is another good reason not to sell off your DVDs. Blu-ray is better and I hope it becomes the next format, but I'm really impressed with how good DVDs look on a HDTV. Watching Hawaii Five-O on DVD looks fantastic. Paramount does a great job remastering their TV library and it really shows. You can see good detail in McGarrett's suit and the people look like they are in your house almost. The locations look pretty good as well, although sometimes inconsistent due to the age of the show.

I would suggest that you even just buy a Blu-ray player now and if you don't have the money for a HDTV at this time you can still start collecting BDs and then watch them on your HDTV when you get one. That's what I did. I didn't get a HDTV until July. You might end up double-dipping on a few titles in your collection like the Die Hard movies. You will probably end up buying the Star Wars movies and Alien movies when they get released on Blu-ray. I have them on DVD, but I will no doubt get them on Blu-ray when they are released. I've only doubled-dipped on a few titles and I will probably end up doing it with more. I bought the Texas Chain Saw Massacre on Blu-ray even though it has been released on DVD quite a few times. I just couldn't pass it up.