Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 01:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Some people had cell phones in the late 80s. They were big and clunky. I think I got my first one in the early 90s, so even that could be 15 years.
Old 10-31-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Maybe watching the Halloween films in reverse order wasn't such a good idea- I'm pretty confused here. What do cults and astrology have to do with anything? Perhaps Part V will illuminate me. As far as the Zombie remake goes, what exactly is the time frame here? The first act is obviously mid-70s, what with Nazareth on the soundtrack and lil' Mikey Myers' Kiss t-shirt. Flash forward 15 years, and Dr. Loomis is asking someone for a cell phone?
I started to comment when you mentioned watching them in reverse order on how confusing that could be...and that's even if you've seen them all before.

Regarding your time frame question, I just watched the Zombie remake with commentary this week and he indicated how he purposely didn't put a time frame on the opening scenes, labeling it October 31st but not including the year. I don't recall if he indicated a specific motivation behind this, but I did remember him mentioning it.
Old 10-31-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

3% H2O2 is used medically for cleaning wounds, removing dead tissue, and as an oral debriding agent. Peroxide stops slow (small vessel) wound bleeding/oozing, as well.

Why do you rarely, if ever see this used in horror films immediately after a victim is bitten by a vampire and/or zombie to try and kill the infection?
Old 10-31-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe watching the Halloween films in reverse order wasn't such a good idea- I'm pretty confused here. What do cults and astrology have to do with anything? Perhaps Part V will illuminate me. As far as the Zombie remake goes, what exactly is the time frame here? The first act is obviously mid-70s, what with Nazareth on the soundtrack and lil' Mikey Myers' Kiss t-shirt. Flash forward 15 years, and Dr. Loomis is asking someone for a cell phone?
I'm not answering your question as I've never seen *any* of the Halloween movies , but my question to you is - why would you watch any movie (not just Halloween) not in order?

I know we probably have all caught an inadvertant sequel on TV or something, but now that we are in the DVD age, that would never happen anymore for me.
Old 10-31-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Numes
I'm not answering your question as I've never seen *any* of the Halloween movies , but my question to you is - why would you watch any movie (not just Halloween) not in order?
I wanted to save the best for last. Also, I'm going to a party tonight where they'll be projecting the first three films, so I didn't want any overlap.
Old 10-31-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanted to save the best for last.
I would think whatever extra enjoyment you may have by watching the original last would be destroyed tenfold by watching them out of order. I don't get it.
Old 10-31-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
I certainly consider it a remake. IMDB has [Rec] listed as 2007 and Quarantine as 2008.

I can't believe it's the last day. Here's something really horrifying, I start dance classes with my wife tonight. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 . . . I'll sneak in a film now and hopefully another one (or two) late tonight.

John and Drew Dowdle were hired by Hollywood while the Spanish film was still in production. Movie release years don't take into account production time. But, yeah, it's technically a remake of the material. I just think films get unfairly judge because they are remakes. I judge on execution of that particular film alone. My one rule about remakes is that established franchises should be left alone. You may add to Halloween and Friday the 13th, but you shouldn't discount the entire cannon of films and start over.

Not much is original anymore, anyway. Take Alice and Wonderland out of Pan's Labyrinth and you just have a war film.

Quarantine is a great film. [Rec] is a great film. I enjoy both and don't compare the two.

BTW, I'm typing all this while I sit bored out of my MIND watching Pulse............ please, end already............
Old 10-31-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
3% H2O2 is used medically for cleaning wounds, removing dead tissue, and as an oral debriding agent. Peroxide stops slow (small vessel) wound bleeding/oozing, as well.

Why do you rarely, if ever see this used in horror films immediately after a victim is bitten by a vampire and/or zombie to try and kill the infection?
You crack me up sometimes, Chad. I teach hazardous materials preparation and inspection, and I think I'll use your example to lighten' up my next class. Sort of an ode to after Halloween... You don't mind, do you?

As to your actual question, you bring up a good point. Maybe they don't want impressionable youngens influenced to buy the stuff and do God-knows-what with it.
Old 10-31-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
You crack me up sometimes, Chad. I teach hazardous materials preparation and inspection, and I think I'll use your example to lighten' up my next class. Sort of an ode to after Halloween... You don't mind, do you?
No, I'd be honored.
Old 10-31-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few reminders before delirium begins to set in...

1. Vote for your favorite list. Sometime within the next week please vote in this thread (or PM me) who you feel has the most impressive list. And take into consideration that not everyone will have theirs ready immediately afterward. Once again, we're looking more for quality of formatting and comments/reviews as opposed to the number of titles viewed.

A perfect example of what NOT to look for would be Chad's list - someone who didn't follow through with his intentions and gave up on the reviews after the first week.

2. This isn't over until the sun rises. Not midnight. Dawn.

3. Please number those lists! Yeah, there's still a few that aren't. Preferably within the next 7 days. I'll count them regardless of whether they are or aren't, but it'll sure make my job easier.

I'm aiming for 11/9 (Sunday) on the results thread.
Old 10-31-08, 05:04 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
BTW, I'm typing all this while I sit bored out of my MIND watching Pulse............ please, end already............
Heh. This week I watched Pulse 2. Even worse, if you can imagine. I can't even remember what happened, it's so dull...
Old 10-31-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
The Lovecraft quadruple feature followed by the HG Lewis double feature into the dawn is calling to me. I've seen all of them before, but it's been a while for all of them. That would put me right at 100 for the month!

I hope "Blood Feast" is better than I remembered. Because I remember it being really really awful (though it's mandatory viewing by horror fans at least once for historical reasons). Though I remember thoroughly enjoying "2000 Maniacs". Yee Haa! The South's gonna rise again!
Old 10-31-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Kind of like using this on this guy.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 10-31-08 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-31-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
I didn't add it on my list officially, as I came in half way through what with errands to run today but I did see House of Frankenstein 1997 today. Not a bad movie, though I wonder am I the only one who saw paralells with Van Helsing. The whole idea of Drac being a humanoid bat and the wise and kind Frankensteins monster. The monster almost reminded me of the moster from The Bride as well. The man who made him may have been an evil mad scientist but the moster was a character to be pitied.

Side note, while at FYE, I did look for Serpent and the Rainbow but did not see it there. I was wondering, is it even out on DVD? Did see an interesting box set though, and though I didnt pick it up it did pique my interest. The Nightmare on Elm Street set with all the movies and even a bonus dvd on the movies itself I suppose.
Old 10-31-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by shadokitty
Side note, while at FYE, I did look for Serpent and the Rainbow but did not see it there. I was wondering, is it even out on DVD?
Yup.
http://www.amazon.com/Serpent-Rainbo...5506282&sr=8-1
Old 10-31-08, 10:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Having a great month, and had a little adventure. I've been recording tons of stuff off of TMC and other channels, my DVD burner has been in constant operation all month.

It stopped working yesterday, guess I burned it out. Have let it sit for a few hours, tried different media, but it has weird hang ups and refuses to burn anything.

But my DVR was 90% full, and TMC was airing tons of stuff that I didn't have on disc yet. So I had to get another DVD burner and scramble to keep up. Got as high as 97% full earlier today, with two films recording to my DVR as I was hurriedly burning things as quickly as possible to the new DVD burner. Think I'm home free now, below 90% and not much else in set to record tonight.

So that's two multiple hundred dollar devices that I've bought for this challenge, and I almost bought a PS3 to watch Halloween in hi def today.
Old 10-31-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor

But my DVR was 90% full, and TMC was airing tons of stuff that I didn't have on disc yet. So I had to get another DVD burner and scramble to keep up. Got as high as 97% full earlier today, with two films recording to my DVR as I was hurriedly burning things as quickly as possible to the new DVD burner. Think I'm home free now, below 90% and not much else in set to record tonight.
Do you have a Scientific Atlanta DVR by chance? I ran into the same dilemma today, and had to resort to (gasp!) deletion... Anyway, I want to give this a try:

Iomega DVR Expander Drive
Old 10-31-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
If you have a Scientific Atlanta DVR, you can expand your space by adding an external hard drive. Just connect an eSATA connector drive (which must be powered independently of the cable box and be constantly on) and you've got tons more space. A 500GB can be had for around $100 if you shop around.
Old 10-31-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
My plan today was to watch Halloween 1-2, 4-8 and did I do it....of course not! I watch parts 1, 2 & 4 and got burned out. Too bad. I'm done, I hit 104! Beats the shit out of my 87 from last year! Woooo!
Old 11-01-08, 12:07 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just hit midnight and I just finished Roger Corman's classic Little Shop of Horrors.

It's especially cool as a follow-up to Bucket of Blood, especially because only a few days ago I found out that I'm going to get to meet Dick Miller in person soon.

My biggest regret... at midnight my total was 249, only one sad little number short of 250. Oh well. If I do this challenge again next year I am NOT doing it at this level. It was a personal challenge to do 200 with an outside chance of 250, and sadly 250 did not happen.

I'm fairly wired right now, so I'll watch a couple more. But I did not make it to 250 by midnight, too bad, I had high hopes.
Old 11-01-08, 12:21 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
OMG, I am so burned out on movie watching that I don't want to see another one for a week!! My goal last year was 60, and I did that, so this year was 100. I'm at 122 right now. I don't think I can do this level next year. But that's me saying it now. We shall see what happens next year...
Old 11-01-08, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
I've participated in the challenge twice. Last year, I hit 100 and felt like I was at a breakneck pace all month long. This year, I knew I couldn't go that high with having some other commitments on my plate, so my goal was more modest. I ended up doing 50.

Honestly, I may have enjoyed the challenge this year a little more. Although my entire movie-watching focus was horror films, I was able to take a more relaxed approach. I was also able to be a bit more choosy with some of the movies I watched. Last year, I took in a few horrible films just to get to 100.

Who knows what my goal will be next year...both approaches were fun in different ways.
Old 11-01-08, 12:44 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
I definitely watched some tankers this year. In fact, I don't know how I got through some of them they were so bad. Maybe next year I'll be more selective.

I will say that it's been a lot of fun the last couple of years doing this. I was never much into the horror aspect of movies, but doing this challenge has definitely broadened my horizons.
Old 11-01-08, 12:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I've participated in the challenge twice. Last year, I hit 100 and felt like I was at a breakneck pace all month long. This year, I knew I couldn't go that high with having some other commitments on my plate, so my goal was more modest. I ended up doing 50.

Honestly, I may have enjoyed the challenge this year a little more. Although my entire movie-watching focus was horror films, I was able to take a more relaxed approach. I was also able to be a bit more choosy with some of the movies I watched. Last year, I took in a few horrible films just to get to 100.

Who knows what my goal will be next year...both approaches were fun in different ways.
Your approach to this all in many ways sounds like me. I watched some really unenjoyable stuff to hit this number. I will do this challenge again, but next time, it's what I want and when I want and I will not push myself to such extremes. I managed to alter my work in such a way in September to already do my October stuff to take the month off. Right now, I'm kind of looking forward to working again Monday, watching movies has become a bit of a chore.

Luckily I've saved some of my favorites for the dawn movement, but while I will list them there is something pure about starting midnight October 1 and ending midnight October 31.
Old 11-01-08, 12:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
A few reminders before delirium begins to set in...

1. Vote for your favorite list. Sometime within the next week please vote in this thread (or PM me) who you feel has the most impressive list. And take into consideration that not everyone will have theirs ready immediately afterward. Once again, we're looking more for quality of formatting and comments/reviews as opposed to the number of titles viewed.

A perfect example of what NOT to look for would be Chad's list - someone who didn't follow through with his intentions and gave up on the reviews after the first week.

2. This isn't over until the sun rises. Not midnight. Dawn.

3. Please number those lists! Yeah, there's still a few that aren't. Preferably within the next 7 days. I'll count them regardless of whether they are or aren't, but it'll sure make my job easier.

I'm aiming for 11/9 (Sunday) on the results thread.

Say what?! I thought it was over at midnight, didn't know it went till dawn. Missed that rule somehow. Oh well, the hell with it. I'm fried! This is year #2 for me and I hit 88, which is 12 more than I had last year. About 90% were first time viewings, which was great. I found some new favs, got to see classics I'd never watched, and only encountered a few real clunkers.

So 30 straight days of horror movies and not one nightmare... do I need therapy??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.