Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-29-08, 12:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
with Poultrygeist being a limited edition I'm surprised Netflix is getting this to rent out, go my copy yesterday in the mail, gonna watch it tonight. Pieces also came in the mail from Amazon, Bloody Moon did not.
Old 10-29-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone else listened to the two Fright Night commentaries? I just finished with the first track, with Tom Holland, Chris Sarandon and Jonathan Stark, moderated by Tim Sullivan. I listened to the streaming audio from my computer with the sound off on my TV - Sarandon tells you when to press play. There were some interesting tidbits - Billy Cole had his start in the Groundlings improv group, which helped him with the more comedic elements of his character. Also, when Sarandon leaves Charley's mother's room, he had originally wanted to whistle "Whistle While You Work", but the rights were too expensive. Sarandon's reflection doesn't appear in the mirror in that sequence, which I hadn't noticed until it was pointed out on the commentary track. Fright Night is one of the few childhood favorite 80's films that I still can watch and enjoy as an adult - it's a genuinely well-crafted film. The sequel has a pretty lousy reputation, but I'll probably check it out tonight.
Old 10-29-08, 01:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Has anyone else listened to the two Fright Night commentaries? I just finished with the first track, with Tom Holland, Chris Sarandon and Jonathan Stark, moderated by Tim Sullivan. I listened to the streaming audio from my computer with the sound off on my TV - Sarandon tells you when to press play. There were some interesting tidbits - Billy Cole had his start in the Groundlings improv group, which helped him with the more comedic elements of his character. Also, when Sarandon leaves Charley's mother's room, he had originally wanted to whistle "Whistle While You Work", but the rights were too expensive. Sarandon's reflection doesn't appear in the mirror in that sequence, which I hadn't noticed until it was pointed out on the commentary track. Fright Night is one of the few childhood favorite 80's films that I still can watch and enjoy as an adult - it's a genuinely well-crafted film. The sequel has a pretty lousy reputation, but I'll probably check it out tonight.

very interesing film facts during the commentary including some obvious 'outing' of certain actors in the film, some of which wasn't new news.
Old 10-29-08, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would the "Pandemic" episodes of South Park qualify for WILD CARDS in this challenge? I havnt seen them yet but plan on watching them tonight and was curious.
Old 10-29-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so i'm about to start movie #99 and i want to make #100 be something special...i was thinking of FRIGHT NIGHT, NEAR DARK or THE THING. anyone want to recommend some high caliber horror flicks that i haven't watched yet (check my list) to commemorate reaching the goal?
Old 10-29-08, 03:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
so i'm about to start movie #99 and i want to make #100 be something special...i was thinking of FRIGHT NIGHT, NEAR DARK or THE THING. anyone want to recommend some high caliber horror flicks that i haven't watched yet (check my list) to commemorate reaching the goal?
Of those three, I'd go with The Thing. Why not make one of the twenty greatest films ever made your #100?

Or today's film, Dracula.
Old 10-29-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
How about Halloween? Or are you saving that one?
Old 10-29-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
MANOS!!!!

Actually, I have yet to watch this yet. I'm just going on popular opinion and the very little I actually have seen.
Old 10-29-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by clckworang
How about Halloween? Or are you saving that one?
if i watch HALLOWEEN i'll feel like i have to watch all the sequels and i'm trying not to watch stuff i watched last year.
Old 10-29-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
And Rock 'N Roll Nightmare is classic. I rejoiced when that film received the royal treatment on DVD. That level of quality + corniness doesn't pay off all that often, but it worked great for this movie. Deserves a big 'ol
One of many reasons this deserves a perfect 10 on the Cheese-O-Meter:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1kWFAfUGLY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1kWFAfUGLY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Of course, Hard Rock Zombies definitely gives it a run for its money in terms of '80s cheese:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EV2Y22d7pL0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EV2Y22d7pL0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And how's this for a lineup:

Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare
Black Roses
Hard Rock Zombies
Trick or Treat

Any other music-oriented horror films to add to that list?
Old 10-29-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

if i watch HALLOWEEN i'll feel like i have to watch all the sequels and i'm trying not to watch stuff i watched last year.
Hey! You didn't tell us that we were supposed to be referring to last year's list, too.
Old 10-29-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey! You didn't tell us that we were supposed to be referring to last year's list, too.
haha i know i know. that was a good suggestion and i appreciate it.
Old 10-29-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad

Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare
Black Roses
Hard Rock Zombies
Trick or Treat
Great, now can you just add another week in October so I can work all of these in??? Oh, well, I guess I'll set asside a weekend of "Rock"tober for next year's challenge.
Old 10-29-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Would the "Pandemic" episodes of South Park qualify for WILD CARDS in this challenge? I havnt seen them yet but plan on watching them tonight and was curious.
There's tons of Horror South Park episodes, but I really didn't think that one was. Well, borderline. I suppose you can judge after you see it.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 10-29-08 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-29-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad

Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare
Black Roses
Hard Rock Zombies
Trick or Treat

Any other music-oriented horror films to add to that list?
dead and breakfast?
phantom of the paradise?
Old 10-29-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
very interesing film facts during the commentary including some obvious 'outing' of certain actors in the film, some of which wasn't new news.
Yeah, who would have thought the star of Gay Men in Uniform and Transsexual Prostitutes 2 was into guys?
Old 10-29-08, 08:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Anyone have an opinion on the Day Watch and Night Watch films?

I thought I had heard good things about them, but the reviews here are quite negative.

I'm in the mood for foreign, and these are on sale for $4.99 this week at BB and CC.
Old 10-29-08, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor

I thought I had heard good things about them, but the reviews here are quite negative.

I'm in the mood for foreign, and these are on sale for $4.99 this week at BB and CC.
NightWatch was one of the worst films I have ever seen in theaters. It was complete nonsensical shit IMO. I heard DayWatch is better but I dont know.
If you like movies like Underworld you may like this one.
Old 10-29-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Of those three, I'd go with The Thing.
I'm currently doing a John Carpenter marathon and just caught it for the first time on HD DVD. Gorgeous! As a matter of fact, this is my first challenge viewing HD in any capacity (both Blu-ray & HD DVD) and it's like rediscovering the classics in a whole new light.

And (like this DVDTalk review) I noticed for the first time after god knows how many viewings that the doc had a nose ring!
Old 10-30-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rather enjoyed Night Watch when I watched it a year or two ago. One thing you have to understand going into it is it's not completely a stand alone film. It's the first part in what was conceived as a trilogy with Day Watch being part 2. I don't think part 3 is out yet. Its initial purpose was to make a rather epic horror/thriller trilogy, something that hasn't really been done before. The story is pretty cool, though part one is a lot of set up of the scene and the characters. It's kinda like the horror equivalent of watching just part 1 of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I've heard, as with most trilogies, Day Watch is better too, though I have yet to see it. I was planning on watching them back to back myself, but it looks like I won't have time this October as that is collectively about 4 1/2 hours, and the next two days are pretty booked up. I'd recommend giving it a shot.
Old 10-30-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know people who are fans, but I personally didn't care too much for them. Watching them, I wondered how much imagery we as Americans probably just didn't get. And I'm not saying that as a we are stupid thing. I'm meaning that it seemed a distinctly Russian movie series. I felt like there was probably an obvious layer of further information built around the use of certain things that as a foreigner I couldn't fully grasp. Does that make sense?

With this being my first time participating, I'm already getting excited for next year. Possible suggestion for the optional checklist: A Movie With a Type of Tool/Weapon in the Title.

Quick informal poll: How many people know the Vincent Price film as Witchfinder General and how many know it as The Conqueror Worm?

I had no idea that movie was out until I happened to see it on sale at Amazon. I never knew it as Witchfinder General.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-30-08 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know people who are fans, but I personally didn't care too much for them. Watching them, I wondered how much imagery we as Americans probably just didn't get. And I'm not saying that as a we are stupid thing. I'm meaning that it seemed a distinctly Russian movie series. I felt like there was probably an obvious layer of further information built around the use of certain things that as a foreigner I couldn't fully grasp. Does that make sense?

With this being my first time participating, I'm already getting excited for next year. Possible suggestion for the optional checklist: A Movie With a Type of Tool/Weapon in the Title.

Quick informal poll: How many people know the Vincent Price film as Witchfinder General and how many know it as The Conqueror Worm?

I had no idea that movie was out until I happened to see it on sale at Amazon. I never knew it as Witchfinder General.
I knew it first as Witchfinder General and then later as The Conquerer Worm after I started getting into those Anchor Bay Region 2 box sets.
Old 10-30-08, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even for those of you who are not commentary fans, I would highly suggest listening to Bruce Campbell's commentary on "The Evil Dead." It is fantastic. I guarantee that you will enjoy it, whether you are an Evil Dead fan or not. I know there's only two days left, but perhaps consider it for next year.

P.S. I've only listened to a few minutes of the Evil Dead II commentary, but it's shaping up nicely too.
Old 10-30-08, 08:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Wrapping up my Masters of Horror marathon. Haven't slept, luckily they're nice and short but at the same time some of them feel long.

Hadn't seen most of season 2 before yesterday/this morning, what a mixed bag that wound up being. Even the stronger episodes often had long boring parts. I still technically have two from season 1 to watch to complete it all, but 15 episodes in less than 24 hours has taken a toll, my only breaks have been making time for Son of Kong (fun but awfully silly), Ghosts on the Loose (even more silly but not very fun), and Dracula (nice to have a real classic in the mix). I did take some time yesterday to pull all the films in my collection that are less than 80 minutes. With only 40 hours left until Halloween midnight I'm going to drink as much caffeine and just push through to as high of a number as I can make it, then I'll pass out to mindless comedies and sleep all weekend. Ah... something to look forward to.
Old 10-30-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll be in the minority and state that I really liked these two films. Night Watch and Day Watch are best with their infamous subtitles. I just bought them while I was in Canada a few weeks back. Night Watch was a flipper and included the subtitle version! (I don't know if the American one does.) Sadly, Day Watch did not.
They almost didn't release Night Watch with the subtitles. I was at an early press screening and was told it may be released dubbed. Thankfully, it didn't.
For what it's worth, Day Watch appears to bring the storyline to an end, so I'm not sure where the plot will be heading in the third film. So, if you bought the two of them at BB and watched them, you won't feel like the story is unresolved.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.