Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm so excited I'm watching my 92nd movie right now and should hit 100 no problem this year, this is the first time I'll hit 100 and most likely pass it no problem!
Old 10-25-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd need to watch over 30 films by the end of the month to make it to 100. My ass can't take that. Also, the World Series sure as hell isn't helping any.
Old 10-25-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things the challenge has taught me in the last few days:

Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary is the most disturbing horror film I've ever seen. And this coming from a guy who absolutely LOVES ballet. If David Lynch were to ever make a Dracula film, this would be it.

I found something that is worse than Frogs...
... The Prey

Freddy vs. Jason still kicks butt.

Bram Stoker's Dracula looks amazing on Blu-ray Disc. This is my first time watching the format, and this is also the first time the film has affected me as it did in the theatre. Truly a fantastic transfer.

Nan Gray from Dracula's Daughter is absolutely beautiful.

I've finally updated more on my list. Not sure how far I'm going to make it in numbers, though. We'll see.
Old 10-25-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's going to be very close, but I think I can get to 100. I only need 24 more. That's only a little more than 3 a day, plus a couple extras on Halloween night.
Old 10-25-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm almost to 50, and that would completely blow away my wildest expectations.

I got my new region-free DVD player today (my Malata died about a year ago,) so I've been watching the R3 Army of Darkness, R2 Phantasm movies (for the first time,) and I will be watching the Dead Zone R2 and Misery R2 shortly.

Edit: Another note here. At the beginning of this challenge I made a dump from DVDProfiler (and my DVD shelves) of all my horror movies. As I keep checking them off, I have slowly coming to the conclusion that I'm going to have nowhere near enough new movies to watch next year. I literally have almost wiped my horror shelves clean. I've put a few movies on my wishlist to buy next year (Hellraiser R2 box set, that Bed movie from Dick Laurent, and a few others.) I will be sure to scour everyone's lists, in detail, to make sure and stock up for next year. I really don't like watching the same movie more than once every 2-3 years, so that is why I am on the lookout for new titles.

Last edited by Numes; 10-25-08 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Who would believe that Lifetime Movie network would provide material usable for the Horror Movie Challenge? But I found out this morning it did help as I watched both Carrie and The Rage: Carrie 2 on there today. I also see AMC is finally kicking it into high gear with their fear fest.
They had this cool little movie called "Devil's Diary" on last year. I actually liked it a lot. It was one of the best made for TV horrors I've ever seen.

I'm sucking at the challenge this year. I've been so sick and preoccupied I'll be lucky to hit 31 movies. Sigh. But at least I got some cool highlights like getting to see "Don't Torture a Duckling" and [REC] for the first time.
Old 10-26-08, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Amen! There's too much hate for this movie. Sure, it's stupid, but I love it anyway and have a blast watching it. It was so much fun seeing it at midnight in the theaters and yelling at the screen with all the other fanatics and I get some of that nostalgia every time I see it.
Old 10-26-08, 01:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm up to 40. I know it doesn't match up with the rest of you. But I've managed to pass my past two year average of 25. And I still have a few day's left. I should be able to get in a couple later on today.
Old 10-26-08, 01:45 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I'd need to watch over 30 films by the end of the month to make it to 100. My ass can't take that. Also, the World Series sure as hell isn't helping any.
I hear you. I have College and Pro football, NHL Hockey. the World Series and College all this month.
Plus getting in my movie watching.
Old 10-26-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I've actually managed to stay "pure" this year and stick to only horror films ...so far. That means no network television shows, no televised sporting events, no satellite radio listening (except in the car) and not even a single film outside the genre! That, and less sleep are the necessary sacrifices I have to make to pull off the high numbers, but it's worth it. I think.

And coincidentally, I've finally pulled ahead of last year's pace just within the past few days.

Now back to the insanity...
Old 10-26-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
88. Forgot the title!
Just wanted you to know, Chad, I'm still eagerly waiting for this title reveal...
Old 10-26-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.filmikz.net has a ton of horror films you can stream or download online.

Just a few highlights include:

Dance of the Dead
[REC]
Mother of Tears
Quarantine
Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer

Last edited by stonecountry; 10-26-08 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-27-08, 01:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm only at 19 so far. Midterms are killing me. Hopefully I'll be able to find more time to maybe hit 31
Old 10-27-08, 08:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary is the most disturbing horror film I've ever seen. And this coming from a guy who absolutely LOVES ballet. If David Lynch were to ever make a Dracula film, this would be it.

Bram Stoker's Dracula looks amazing on Blu-ray Disc. This is my first time watching the format, and this is also the first time the film has affected me as it did in the theatre. Truly a fantastic transfer.
you should give the commentaries a listen. Maddin is really fascinating to listen to.

the Freddy Vs. Jason commentary which while it takes a little too much time to get into, the conversation really picks up and is quite engaging.

while the Criterion commentary is different and tad bit more informative, Coppola in his new commentary doesn't repeat what the past commentary had.
Old 10-27-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
My count is at 86 at the moment. That is way beyond any numbers I thought I would turn in. Of course now I'm wanting to hit 100, but there are going to be a couple of nights this week that I probably won't have time to watch anything. It will likely be very close, but I'll probably come up just short of 100.
Old 10-27-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
you should give the commentaries a listen. Maddin is really fascinating to listen to.

the Freddy Vs. Jason commentary which while it takes a little too much time to get into, the conversation really picks up and is quite engaging.

while the Criterion commentary is different and tad bit more informative, Coppola in his new commentary doesn't repeat what the past commentary had.
I'm bad on listening to commentaries, but if these are worth checking out, I will have to make it a point. Have to wait 'till next month, though. I'm in the home-stretch, and can't repeat! I'm hoping to at least get to 75.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 10-27-08, 12:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
31 Day thread and Redbox free mondays

Just two reminders for everyone.

One, many of you who picked films for the 31 day subset haven't been commenting on them. You made us all watch them, come defend your actions.

Two, Redbox has free codes every Monday, keep that in mind if you want something new and cheap to watch tonight. Today's code is 93NCA5.
Old 10-27-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wanted you to know, Chad, I'm still eagerly waiting for this title reveal...
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but that still makes two of us. No, I don't have Alzheimer's ...just one of those days. I do however know for a fact there were 6 titles watched that Sunday. Hopefully the mystery title will reveal itself in time.
Old 10-27-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
I gotta give props to Chad for putting up that online-archive link on page 1. It's given me a chance to keep this challenge fresh for me. By that, I mean that halfway through this challenge, I felt like I was losing valuable time and interest by watching movies that I had already seen dozens of times before (But I'm still not fully enforcing my "No rerun" clause because I'm about to pop in Criterion's Vampyr in a few minutes)

With Netflix providing the usual wait for arrivals and TCM being disappointing this year (Looks like they're only saving the best stuff for the end of the month. Where as in the past few years, they've had horror films scattered all throughout October) I'm relieved that there's so many flicks to watch online (Namely 50's B-Horror) that I've gotten the chance to see for the first time. Once again, thanks.
Old 10-27-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Ok, a few questions.

1. I recently picked up a double feature DVD with Moon of the Wolf and Dr. Jekyll vs the Werewolf. Curious. I know the 2nd movie from research I have done is one of the Spanish El Hombre Lobo movies. I plan to watch it anyways as I bought it, but are they decent flicks?

2. While I was watching the Stand. Am I the only one who thought the soundtrack at times was a good emphasis on the scenes they played in. Starting with the end of part 3 and through some of part 4, what would normally be a depressing scene, the added music actually moved me to tears, I am not ashamed to admit, like where Ray Walstons char was shot in his cell and the others held each others hand.

3. Does anyone know the tune of that song, it seemed like it was the same song on all those scenes, just varyinmg between violin, piano or acoustic guitar, and I might like to try to locate it on mp3 or Youtube.
Old 10-27-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
I just finished watching Cat's Eye. and while I have seen it before it had been si long that I had forgotten all the Stephen King refernces in this movie. I noticed Cujo, Christine, Dead Zone, and even Firestarter as the girl that played the little girl was Drew Barrymore. Curious to know if I missed any other references?
Old 10-27-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wildcard Option

It looks like "My Name is Earl" is going to be a Halloween episode on Thursday. I will be using it for one of my wildcards.
Old 10-27-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could it be I've found a film to rival Death Bed?

Microwave Massacre
(Not work safe)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOy9l4BdJXY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GOy9l4BdJXY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Think H.G. Lewis meets Rodney Dangerfield meets Fred Olen Ray with a touch of Delicatessen. And if the leading character (Jackie Vernon) sounds familiar - he's the voice of Frosty the fucking Snowman! It's a true pioneer in the art of bad cinema. The director even refers to it as "the worst horror film of all time."

Available via Instant Viewing for Netflix customers.
Old 10-27-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
^ I haven't watched it yet, but I already had the Netflix page bookmarked. I'm hoping to get a chance to see it this week.
Old 10-27-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
I watched Microwave Massacre a couple of weeks ago. How can you not like a movie about a cannibal killer who says things like "I'm so hungry I could eat a whore"?

I'm planning on checking out Death Bed tomorrow. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.