Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 01:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by shadokitty
Ok, another question. I was wondering about the remake of The Cat People from the 80s. I had planned to watch it as I own the DVD, but seeing as I had not seen it on anyone's list, especially this far into the Challenge, was curious as to if it would be considered horror. The main reason I ask is a friend of mine once told me she thought of it more erotic thriller than horror.
the original is definately horror, and with the notion of shape shifters, that falls into the realm of fantasty and horror. so, yes.
Old 10-20-08, 01:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Ok, another question. I was wondering about the remake of The Cat People from the 80s. I had planned to watch it as I own the DVD, but seeing as I had not seen it on anyone's list, especially this far into the Challenge, was curious as to if it would be considered horror. The main reason I ask is a friend of mine once told me she thought of it more erotic thriller than horror.
If IMDB or allmovie say horror in the genre list you don't even have to think about asking.
Old 10-20-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Thanks for the replies about The Cat People. I had thought it was considered horror at one point, but just wanted to make sure. Also while I am here, are any DVDs in the $3 bin at Big Lots worth my time? I ask as I saw The Amityville Horror remake there today, and I had alreayd picked up a used copy at the Pawn shop I frequent a few weeks ago. Perhaps it was just that it had been a long day for me, but I actually had trouble staying awake during the remake, yet while I watched the original last night I was glued to my seat so to speak.
Old 10-20-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
If IMDB or allmovie say horror in the genre list you don't even have to think about asking.
Well, IMDb says that I can count Mommie Dearest, The Manhattan Project and Pink Flamingos, but try as I might, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Rob
Old 10-20-08, 02:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Of course Landmark theaters (specifically the DC theatre) had to go and release Midnight Meat Train as a midnight movies starting on technically November 1st 12am
Old 10-20-08, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
Of course Landmark theaters (specifically the DC theatre) had to go and release Midnight Meat Train as a midnight movies starting on technically November 1st 12am
I think in the past we've extend it to dawn on the first. I think starting a movie at midnight the 31st/1st will definitely count.

And you can always use the remote posting trick. Watch a movie on the 1st on the east coast, but use remote software to post it from a computer on the west coast or Hawaii, where it is still the 31st.

By the way, should I mention that I haven't slept in 3 days?
Old 10-20-08, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by RobCA
Well, IMDb says that I can count Mommie Dearest, The Manhattan Project and Pink Flamingos, but try as I might, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Rob
Touche. I was just trying to save her time and show how liberal we are.

Although Mommie Dearest is pretty close to real horror isn't it? I've never seen it, but thought I've heard it is a good thriller. Just bought it recently actually, may get to it this month, but doubtful.
Old 10-20-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I think in the past we've extend it to dawn on the first. I think starting a movie at midnight the 31st/1st will definitely count.

And you can always use the remote posting trick. Watch a movie on the 1st on the east coast, but use remote software to post it from a computer on the west coast or Hawaii, where it is still the 31st.

By the way, should I mention that I haven't slept in 3 days?
Yeah, it seems like we had made the decision to extend until dawn or so. Halloween is on a Friday this year, after all, so no worries about work the next day or anything like that.

I know I'm planning on staying up really late watching movies!
Old 10-20-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mommie Dearest is pretty close to real horror isn't it? I've never seen it, but thought I've heard it is a good thriller. Just bought it recently actually, may get to it this month, but doubtful.
It's good, but not a thriller, and it's nowhere close to being horror, IMO.

Rob
Old 10-20-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Yeah, it seems like we had made the decision to extend until dawn or so. Halloween is on a Friday this year, after all, so no worries about work the next day or anything like that.

I know I'm planning on staying up really late watching movies!
I'll be up all night too. I have to work that day, but once I get home I'm brewing a pot of coffee and starting a marathon. I'm already setting aside movies to save for that night so I don't get stuck watching the garbage at the bottom of the pile.
Old 10-20-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Yes, it was indeed extended until dawn last year. In previous years I believe it was 2 or 3 am. No point in closing up shop at Midnight and denying those of us who are able to take advantage of the Friday situation.

I know I'll be staying up all night and consuming unhealthy portions of coffee!

Also while I am here, are any DVDs in the $3 bin at Big Lots worth my time?
Definitely, and the majority of them are MGM Midnite Movies...

The Ghoul - Very underrated and very Mummy-esque Karloff
A Bucket of Blood - Early Roger Corman with jazz, poetry reading and crazy beatnicks, man!
Die, Monster, Die!
Bubba Ho-Tep
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
The Pit and the Pendulum

Cheesy bad, yet so good:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (It's not the Gruesome Edition)
Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf - You really have to like bad movies to enjoy this one!
Amityville 2: Sister Fucker
Frogs

Honorable mention goes to "The Dunwich Horror".

Some would recommend "Burnt Offerings", but I didn't personally care for it.
Old 10-20-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can we count that new reality show on VH1 called SCREAM QUEENS as a wildcard??? it's about girls competing in horror related challenges to be in SAW VI and it's hosted by shawnee smith.
Old 10-21-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know it was extended til dawn last Halloween....I could've added a couple to the list that I watched after midnight. I've always watched as many horror flicks as possible, usually til dawn on Halloween for years.

I just watched the new Ghosthouse flick Dance of the Dead, and I was very pleasantly surprised. I'd heard decent things, but I've learned to not expect much from current zombie flicks. I've got to say this one actually did something that most don't do...it brought some new ideas to the table for once. There were some nice zombie gags with the gore I've never quite seen done this way, and the overall idea of having high school kids battling it out with zombies on the night of the prom leaves the door wide open for some dark humor and satire. It kept pretty consistent with the genre conventions. I've got to say it's the best zombie flick I think I've seen since Planet Terror. I'd highly recommend it. The ending doesn't leave you hanging but leaves it wide open for a sequel. This will be one sequel I hope they do make.
Old 10-21-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got a Halloween party to go to on Friday, so there will be zero movies for me that night. Oddly enough, it will be one of the only nights of the challenge where I didn't watch a horror related title. If I win best costume (which I won't) I'm going to count it as a wildcard.

A question for the hardcore folks - do you give out candy, or does that take away from movie viewing? Obviously this question would only be applicable to those who live in such places where kids would come over for trick-or-treat.
Old 10-21-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
If you can't take two hours to give out candy then you are taking this way too seriously and need to turn the TV off for a while.
Old 10-21-08, 07:15 PM

No children come to my house. I'm avoiding three parties for this challenge. I've told the people I have other plans and just keeping it that vague. I'm 42 away from my goal and I'm worried I won't make it. I think I'll do masters of horror season 2 tomorrow to boost my numbers.

I think Scream Queens should count. I have it tivo'd so I'll watch it if I need a wildcard but I have a few things in mind for those already.
Old 10-21-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
If you can't take two hours to give out candy then you are taking this way too seriously and need to turn the TV off for a while.
Agreed.

I used to be the last house in city limits on a little side street, so I never used to get hardly any trick-or-treaters. A couple years I don't think I got any, but now that I'm in a more suburban area, I expect they'll be quite a few. I doubt I'll be home for the most of it though. Hopefully they'll turn some kids out early to do the just before dark trick-or-treating so I can go to the door and scare them in my Michael Myers suit...LOL. Ah, good ol' Halloween, the only socially acceptable occasion to dress up like a psycho and scare children and the elderly. Good times. Good times.
Old 10-21-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Completely off topic, but I just had to share this with someone. My neighbor has CHRISTMAS lights and decorations up AND LIT as of this morning. I literally stopped my car when backing out this morning and had to do a double take. One of the decorations is a snowman with a countdown (days, hours, minutes) until Christmas. Don't people know that you can't turn on your Christmas lights until after Thanksgiving?? The pain.

On topic. I just finished "Within the Woods" and the transfer (if you want to call it that) was about the worst thing I have ever seen. I wouldn't suggest it at all, even to Evil Dead fans. You can't see anything at all. I wish I wouldn't have bothered.
Old 10-21-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fellow horror movie fans, I give to you the weirdest movie I've ever seen...

Death Bed: The Bed That Eats

In fact, my second viewing. Still the weirdest.
Old 10-21-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent

I thought that movie came out just a few years ago, but apparently it was made in 1977. Patton Oswalt apparently does a stand-up routine about it. I heard that it took nearly 30 years to get released for some reason. This makes me curious.
Old 10-21-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
A question for the hardcore folks - do you give out candy, or does that take away from movie viewing? Obviously this question would only be applicable to those who live in such places where kids would come over for trick-or-treat.
Always have a bowl of candy ready, but I'll be lucky to get 1 kid knock on the door. Apparently my long driveway is too daunting a task for the little buggers. That, and it seems there's just less people out in recent years. And everyone's in cars. No one walks anymore. Damn post-9/11 paranoia.

Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
I'm 42 away from my goal and I'm worried I won't make it. I think I'll do masters of horror season 2 tomorrow to boost my numbers.
I'm to the point where I don't even set goals anymore. I just try and outdo the previous year's attempt. So far I'm right around where I was last challenge and the 31st being on a Friday will hopefully give that last-minute boost needed.

Originally Posted by Numes
Completely off topic, but I just had to share this with someone. My neighbor has CHRISTMAS lights and decorations up AND LIT as of this morning. I literally stopped my car when backing out this morning and had to do a double take. One of the decorations is a snowman with a countdown (days, hours, minutes) until Christmas. Don't people know that you can't turn on your Christmas lights until after Thanksgiving?? The pain.
Gets worse every year. Next year we should all retaliate by putting up Halloween decorations in August ...and keeping them up until New Year's.

Death Bed: The Bed that Eats
has been added to your DVD Queue at position #452.

has been moved to the top of your DVD Queue.

Last edited by Chad; 10-21-08 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-21-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
Gets worse every year. Next year we should all retaliate by putting up Halloween decorations in August ...and keeping them up until New Year's.
Well it would stand to reason we'd need to begin this challenge in August as well.
Old 10-21-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, color me intrigued (see: Chad). Is it weird in a good way, or is that not a valid question?

What I'm really asking is, are you suggesting it? For now, I'll put it on my wish list on Amazon for next year and hopefully it comes down in price a bit.
Old 10-22-08, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought It'd be weird sitting through a 4 hour 20 minute long documentary on a movie I thought was awful, but I just sat through the "Michael Lives" documentary on disc 2 of the Halloween Blu (got it from Netflix). It was very in-depth. Recommended to "behind-the-scenes" lovers.

Plus, there was lots more of a Danielle Harris and more of her boobs.
Old 10-22-08, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I thought It'd be weird sitting through a 4 hour 20 minute long documentary on a movie I thought was awful, but I just sat through the "Michael Lives" documentary on disc 2 of the Halloween Blu (got it from Netflix). It was very in-depth. Recommended to "behind-the-scenes" lovers.
I really loved this doc as well. In fact, I would've loved to see more! (Post-production stuff in the editing room, advertisement campaign, etc) plus Having Malcolm McDowell on your set is sure to cause riots! His torturing of Udo and Brad was hilarious.

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Plus, there was lots more of a Danielle Harris and more of her boobs.
I love Danielle too, but of all the closed-sets, I would've rather enjoyed a visit to Kristina Klebe's big scene.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.