Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Remember last year when TCM was airing Homicidal, a film that some consider a Psycho ripoff? It's a William Castle film that had one of his patented gimmicks that we discussed briefly...

The Fright Break.

SPECIAL "FRIGHT BREAK" * There will be a special FRIGHT BREAK during the showing of "Homicidal." Can you heart stand the challenge when the clock starts the COUNTDOWN!

In the Amicus film The Beast Must Die, it had a similar gimmick called "Werewolf Time", which was a countdown clock in the latter part of the film that was supposed to allow you enough time to play detective and figure out who the actual werewolf was. Well, aside from the fact that it was a 30-second clock (too lazy to post a screencap) and the above was 45 seconds ...it was the same damn thing! Never figured Amicus would employ such a cheap Castle-esque gimmick, although it sure was one helluva fun movie!
Old 10-16-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Random question here. Is it just me, or does any horror movie dealing with bugs require a flamethrower of some sort? I've watched 3 of the movies on Sci Fi today and every one of them had a flamethrower somewhere in it. Not really that I mind, but only curious if that is a staple in bug movies, 'kill em with fire.' Side note, just finished watching Spiders 2. Since when do Spiders roar? :P
Old 10-16-08, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day off so mega movie watching. Put in something wicked this way comes into my pc, went downstairs for a snack as it loaded up. Came back and an odd smell is in the air and a loud noise is coming from my drive. I do the only thing possible, which is open the drive by hitting the open button. Big mistake as my disc went flying, it's scratches beyond belief and won't work. I ened to try and buffer it.

This is a fairly new drive, not even a year old. What a POS. I'm not going to replace it, we have another pc I bought the gf for xmas so I'll use that.

The kicker is that I didn't watch dvds on it unless it was for this challenge, I NEVER played pc games with this drive and while I may have burned over 100 discs on it, I doubt that would kill it since my last one lasted 3 years with thousands of hours of movie watching, cd listening, 600 burns at least and many games played.

My pc is running slow anyway so a new one will have to be in the next two years I think. My big problem is Itunes. I have like 2k songs on it. Anyone know a way of storing all of that elsewhere and then moving it back to the pc if I do a system restore and then maybe install Vista on this pc.

UPDATE:

I got a free dvd of Buffy: reunion from some convention this year. It's well over a hour. Can I count this as a documentry, without using a wild card?

Last edited by wlverinefactor; 10-16-08 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 07:03 PM
Banned

Would you guys say that Ed Wood would count in this challenge or not?
Old 10-16-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I personally wouldn't since it a movie about a guy that makes bad movies, some horror, some drama, some sci-fi. It seems like more of a drama/comedy to me.
Old 10-16-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Man, I'm really sucking so far. Only 8 titles watched and half the month gone. Work and school have really been kicking my ass. I'll be happy if I can finish with 20, which is about 5 less than I did last year.
Wow. After reading this post, I decided to compare my stats to last year as well and...Lo and behold, same exact stats! 53 movies by the 16th!!

But too bad it's about to change within an hour (With Eaten Alive coming on IFC)
Old 10-16-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I've counted it all three years that I've been participating in this challenge.

It's not a horror movie, but it's certainly horror-related, IMO. Just my 2¢.

Rob
Old 10-17-08, 01:41 AM

Just hit 100 movies today. Think it's time for about a week off.
Old 10-17-08, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
But too bad it's about to change within an hour (With Eaten Alive coming on IFC)

thanks for pointing that out...for some reason netflix doesn't carry it. luckily it's ON DEMAND as well.
Old 10-17-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I noticed on IMDB that Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me has horror listed in its genre. Can this count for the list?
Old 10-17-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I noticed on IMDB that Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me has horror listed in its genre. Can this count for the list?
i find most of lynch's films to be scarier than most "horror" films and i think that one would work.
Old 10-17-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad tonight's 31 Days entry is "The Exorcist" because it'll give me a chance to wash away the rancid stench left over from "Beyond the Door". Seriously, that film had so much potential and just blew it ....right through a fucking NOSE FLUTE!

From here on I think I'll just stick to enjoying the trailer on the 42nd Street Forever DVD.
Old 10-17-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
I'm glad tonight's 31 Days entry is "The Exorcist" because it'll give me a chance to wash away the rancid stench left over from "Beyond the Door". Seriously, that film had so much potential and just blew it ....right through a fucking NOSE FLUTE!

From here on I think I'll just stick to enjoying the trailer on the 42nd Street Forever DVD.

My favorite scene of the movie. Go figure.
Old 10-17-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^ Weird...

I'm thinking about starting a Nose Flute Movie Challenge. I think about half of my collection involves nose flutes or flutes that are played by something other than someone's mouth...
Old 10-17-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I was just watching some of Night of the Creeps on my lunch...

HOW IS THIS NOT ON DVD!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 10-17-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
A shame. The Beyond the Door trailer has been one of my favorite trailers since I saw it in the 70s as a child. Scared the hell out of me. "Geeeeeet ouuuuuuut!"
Old 10-17-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally!

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown will air October 28 @ 8pm EST on ABC.

There's just something about catching it on TV.
Old 10-17-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got finished watching the Funny Games remake. Wow, and I thought the original was bad. This is a must avoid.
Old 10-17-08, 05:30 PM

There's just something about catching it on TV.
...commercials, edited content, adjusting my schedule, bug logos in the corner, crawls at the bottom, commercials over the credits...
Old 10-18-08, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Damn ... thought I could make a run for 100, but I'm falling off pace. It's just too tough for me get in more than a couple a day during the work week. Maybe I'll burn through a bunch of those short Poverty Row oldies I have sitting around from those "50 Pack" sets. I have about 6 of those sets, and have only watched about 20 movies total from them. They do have a pretty liberal definition of horror: throwing crime, adventure, sci-fi, sword-and-sandal, melodrama movies in with the no-doubt-about-it horror.

I do like that regardless of hitting 100, I'm getting through some of my "have but haven't seen" pile. It's silly that I'll go through some trouble to track down some rare movies, only to put it on the shelf and not watch it for a year or longer My DVR's filling up with non-horror that I'm putting off until November. And I bumped all the horror to the top of my Netflix queue. This weekend should be good ... I'm going to get Boll'd with "Seed"
Old 10-18-08, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember last year when TCM was airing Homicidal, a film that some consider a Psycho ripoff? It's a William Castle film that had one of his patented gimmicks that we discussed briefly...

The Fright Break.

SPECIAL "FRIGHT BREAK" * There will be a special FRIGHT BREAK during the showing of "Homicidal." Can you heart stand the challenge when the clock starts the COUNTDOWN!

In the Amicus film The Beast Must Die, it had a similar gimmick called "Werewolf Time", which was a countdown clock in the latter part of the film that was supposed to allow you enough time to play detective and figure out who the actual werewolf was. Well, aside from the fact that it was a 30-second clock (too lazy to post a screencap) and the above was 45 seconds ...it was the same damn thing! Never figured Amicus would employ such a cheap Castle-esque gimmick, although it sure was one helluva fun movie!

Yeah, William Castle was the king of movie Gimmicks. I kind of wish we still had some of that these days. I think combining audience participation elements from theater and mixing it with the movie-going experience is something truly unique, and there's a reason so many people used to flood the theaters for those flicks, even when they kinda sucked. I wonder how well those sort of gimmicks would fare today?

I was COMPLETELY SHOCKED at the ending of Homicidal by the way. Just watched it finally for the first time a couple weeks ago. The Beast Must Die is a very fun old Amicus picture too, one of their few decent flicks that wasn't an anthology film. They were the kings of the old horror anthology. I think I was way off on guessing the werewolf too. There's a great 5 disc coffin set of Amicus films in R2 in the UK that includes that film and several of the other best Amicus pictures.
Old 10-18-08, 09:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecountry
Yeah, William Castle was the king of movie Gimmicks. I kind of wish we still had some of that these days. I think combining audience participation elements from theater and mixing it with the movie-going experience is something truly unique, and there's a reason so many people used to flood the theaters for those flicks, even when they kinda sucked. I wonder how well those sort of gimmicks would fare today?
That film festival that I'm hitting right now has a William Castle documentary going Sunday night.
Old 10-18-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
I have a question. Today I picked up a used copy of Fangoria: Blood Drive. I was wondering how I would count that movie. It is a compilation of horror film shorts that were the winning entries in a contest Fangoria hosted. Would I be able to count that as an anthology movie, or would I need to use a wild card for the movie. The total run time is 119 minutes, but being a compilation was not sure how it would be counted.

Incidentally, pawn shops can be a gold mine for DVDs. I found Blood Drive there among a few other DVDs I bought, and they were only $2 a piece.
Old 10-18-08, 06:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
We talked about that earlier in the thread and most agreed that it should be a wildcard. While it is a collection of tales totaling more than the required time, it isn't a true anthology film, right? A true anthology film has all the shorts produced specifically to be together, usually with a framing sequence.

This is just my opinion, I don't think Chad made an official ruling. I just picked it up cheap as well, and plan to watch it next week.
Old 10-18-08, 08:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I'm really glad that I was keeping a blog on the side because when I logged in a few minutes ago my list and all formatting dating back to October 4th was missing from my post within the horror challenge thread.

I don't know how this happened but it's a big deal to me, I spent a lot of time on that. It has left me very upset.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.