Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 4th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-08, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone see WaxWork (s?)? God it's bad, like really bad. The dialog and acting is truly frightening. Isn't there also a sequel? :'( The horror...
Old 10-11-08, 06:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
Anyone see WaxWork (s?)? God it's bad, like really bad. The dialog and acting is truly frightening. Isn't there also a sequel? :'( The horror...
I watched Waxwork and I enjoyed it, but largely because it's one of those nostalgic things in that it created fond memories years ago. Plus David Warner and Patrick Macnee always makes me happy. I also watched the sequel, it ups the humor and while very different I enjoyed it too, plus the sequel comes with a nice but small Bruce Campbell bit. It takes all kinds in this world I suppose.
Old 10-11-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
I would avoid the European cut, at least for your first viewing experience. The theatrical cut is tighter, obviously, but the extended cut is good as well.

You'll have to share with us what your first impressions were!
I most certainly enjoyed Dawn of the Dead (1978). I have posted my comments in my list thread. It is #18. Overall, I was definitely impressed of the movie given when it was made. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I tend to subconsciously adjust how I view a movie given the time period for which it was made. Of course I haven't really watched many horror movies pre-1960, but I *think* that is my mindset when I view a film.

I'm writing this just as I finished Dawn of the Dead (2004), and I must say that this movie rocked. It was, in essence, a completely different storyline than the 1978 version, and I think it was an excellent decision to do so. I'll put a more extensive write-up in my list thread.

Final thought... This, for me, is what the Horror Movie Challenge is about. I am now experiencing so many movies that I have never seen before, and it is really exciting. I'm sure I am way more mainstream than most everyone else (I haven't heard of 75% of the movies you guys talk about or have on your lists), and I don't tend to lean towards Horror movies when I pick a movie to watch, so I'm having a great time. Definitely the most enjoyable of the challenges I have participated in so far. I have already thought about next years challenge and I am mentally preparing for some titles I have to get.
Old 10-12-08, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by poster mayhem
I watched Waxwork and I enjoyed it, but largely because it's one of those nostalgic things in that it created fond memories years ago. Plus David Warner and Patrick Macnee always makes me happy. I also watched the sequel, it ups the humor and while very different I enjoyed it too, plus the sequel comes with a nice but small Bruce Campbell bit. It takes all kinds in this world I suppose.
FYI, both of these, Waxworks and the sequel, are on my Comcast On Demand this month.

-beebs
Old 10-12-08, 06:29 AM

When Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 was nearing the end at roughly 11:00 PM I was considering the fact that it was number 94 on my viewing list.

I was planning on attempting a full night's sleep with the goal of running a Masters of Horror fest starting early Sunday, I've been going on about 4 hours sleep a night since the challenge started and 8 hours sleep sounded like a real luxury, but somehow it seemed like a waste.

There I was a scant 6 films from 100. How could I let myself sleep?

I decided instead to focus on shorter films, 75 minutes and less, I figured I could push past them and achieve my first milestone.

And I did it, I have as of 6:27 AM on October 12th watched 100 horror films since October 1st. In order to save time I haven't written my normal reviews of some of the last films I've watched which means I'll have to handle that later, but in this moment I feel really satisfied, and maybe a bit obsessed.

I am now going to let myself get some sleep, my wife will likely enjoy watching some non-horror fare as I rest up. But once I'm awake again it will be time to tackle the Masters of Horror series, I've barely touched volume 2 of season 1 and have only seen a few episodes from season 2, and push myself to my personal goal of 200, now the outside chance of 250 doesn't seem so outside. I imagine that if I can keep my sanity I'll wind up loving this experience.
Old 10-12-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched WaxWork on onDemand last night, and I thought it was god awful.

I had never seen this, but thought it sounded promising. Boy was I wrong..

I didn't find anything enjoyable about it, other then it was fairly short. - Thank goodness.

I'm not checking out the sequel I know that much
Old 10-12-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
I most certainly enjoyed Dawn of the Dead (1978). I have posted my comments in my list thread. It is #18. Overall, I was definitely impressed of the movie given when it was made. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I tend to subconsciously adjust how I view a movie given the time period for which it was made. Of course I haven't really watched many horror movies pre-1960, but I *think* that is my mindset when I view a film.

I'm writing this just as I finished Dawn of the Dead (2004), and I must say that this movie rocked. It was, in essence, a completely different storyline than the 1978 version, and I think it was an excellent decision to do so. I'll put a more extensive write-up in my list thread.

Final thought... This, for me, is what the Horror Movie Challenge is about. I am now experiencing so many movies that I have never seen before, and it is really exciting. I'm sure I am way more mainstream than most everyone else (I haven't heard of 75% of the movies you guys talk about or have on your lists), and I don't tend to lean towards Horror movies when I pick a movie to watch, so I'm having a great time. Definitely the most enjoyable of the challenges I have participated in so far. I have already thought about next years challenge and I am mentally preparing for some titles I have to get.
I know exactly how you feel. I've had a chance to catch up with some titles that I have neglected to watch for far too long. What's funny is that I probably would consider horror my favorite genre, so it's weird to have so many big movies that I haven't seen. Weird how that happens, but I'm happy to have a one-month excuse to catch more of those titles.

Happy you enjoyed your first Dawn of the Dead experiences. I'll always be partial to the original, but I will admit that the remake was good as well.
Old 10-12-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched my first Final Destination movie, part 3. I mainly watched because it has Mary Elizabeth Winstead as the female lead. I really enjoyed her performance in Death Proof, and wanted to see how she does in a lead roll. I enjoyed this movie immensely. I've actually avoided this series up until now. Not sure why, just seemed like a dumb idea to me. Now I'm sold on the concept. I'll have to check out the first two soon.

I'm at 34 now.

Last edited by Dick Laurent; 10-12-08 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-12-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dammit, I've had no time to start watching this year. Did pick up the new Child's Play disc for about $7 at BestBuy, got that in yesterday.

As for Hammer, some of my favorites:

nearly any of the Terence Fisher films are gold
Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde
Countess Dracula
Twins of Evil
Old 10-12-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I watched my first Final Destination movie, part 3. I mainly watched because it has Mary Elizabeth Winstead as the female lead. I really enjoyed her performance in Death Proof, and wanted to see how she does in a lead roll. I enjoyed this movie immensely. I've actually avoided this series up until now. Not sure why, just seemed like a dumb idea to me. Now I'm sold on the concept. I'll have to check out the first two soon.
If you liked part 3, I'm sure you'll like the others. I think the first is the best (as is usually the case). I like this series. The death set-ups are fun - certainly more interesting than yet another dude with a knife. The movies have a sharp (and sick) sense of humor, and aren't afraid to get gruesome.
Old 10-12-08, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
^Theatrical. Longer doesn't always equal better.

And while we're on a Hammer kick...

How about some love for "Hammer House of Horror"? It's everything Masters of Horror wishes it could have been. Despite some hits and misses, it's good at building up the suspense without rushing the story for the sake of gore, yet remains consistently entertaining ...especially for a TV series. And it has the occasional British boobs. Come to think of it, it's probably got more of an Amicus vibe since it takes place in modern times. Anyway, practically all my wildcards will be used on it.
I had started to watch this set a year or two back but never finished. I remember liking an episode that featured Denholm Elliott dealing with the sale of a spooky house. I also liked one with Peter Cushing who trapped some poor stooge for an experiment.

Any suggestions for other episodes to check out?
Old 10-12-08, 06:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by brainee
If you liked part 3, I'm sure you'll like the others. I think the first is the best (as is usually the case). I like this series. The death set-ups are fun - certainly more interesting than yet another dude with a knife. The movies have a sharp (and sick) sense of humor, and aren't afraid to get gruesome.
I like them all, but the first one is the best and they go downhill from there.
Old 10-12-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the second is the best. But that might because I love gore and Devon Sawa annoys me to no end.
Old 10-12-08, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
I actually like the second the best. I still marvel at the staging of the freeway accident.
Old 10-12-08, 08:19 PM

Eh, my total is going to be low this year. I'm struggling to find the time and energy to watch anything. My goal was 60, but I think I'll be lucky to get to 30.

I need to get some more funny/bad horror DVDs. The serious horror films are tough for me to watch a lot of.
Old 10-12-08, 08:30 PM

Damn you Mayhem, you beat me to 100 by hours. Oh wells. My goal is still 201 I'm just finding it tough. I declined a dinner invite to watch some movies. That's pretty bad....
Old 10-12-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I get to 50, I'll be ecstatic.
Old 10-12-08, 09:44 PM

I have actually decided that while 250 was my outside goal, I'll be happy with 200.

I imagine I'll make it a little past that but I allowed myself to take a break and watch some non-horror and I really enjoyed it. So 200 is more than good enough and if I can go a few past it all the better.

I'm going to allow myself to take a few days off of serious fulltime viewing but I will hit the film of the day and mix in some of my favorites. I'll take care of some things around the house and then I'll hit it hard again. It's been a blast but my brief break shows me that I'm missing a lot of stuff on the side.
Old 10-12-08, 09:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Would Beetlejuice count?
Old 10-12-08, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Would Beetlejuice count?
I personally consider Beetlejuice a horror comedy even if it's heavy on the comedy. I wouldn't complain if somebody counted it while I can't answer for everyone.
Old 10-12-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling a little bit of viewer fatigue. My original goal was 31 and I have just finished No. 42. All of a sudden, 100 has started to be my goal, but I just don't think I can do it! And I don't think my DVR has enough recording space for me to keep holding off on watching all of my TV shows.
Old 10-12-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I personally consider Beetlejuice a horror comedy even if it's heavy on the comedy. I wouldn't complain if somebody counted it while I can't answer for everyone.
I agree. It's mostly comedy, but if we can count movies like Young Frankenstein or Shaun of the Dead I don't see why Beetlejuice can't count.
Old 10-12-08, 10:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
I agree. It's mostly comedy, but if we can count movies like Young Frankenstein or Shaun of the Dead I don't see why Beetlejuice can't count.
Sweet! Just bought the Blu-Ray today
Old 10-12-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Would Beetlejuice count?
I hope so, because I already counted it, a couple of days ago.

Rob
Old 10-12-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I've been going on about 4 hours sleep a night since the challenge started
<--- 5 hours!

Originally Posted by Chad
Very impressed with "Films to Die For" too.
Of course the intention was to way "Films to Keep You Awake".

Originally Posted by Pizza
I had started to watch this set a year or two back but never finished. I remember liking an episode that featured Denholm Elliott dealing with the sale of a spooky house. I also liked one with Peter Cushing who trapped some poor stooge for an experiment.

Any suggestions for other episodes to check out?
Keeping in mind I've only seen 7 of the 13 episodes thus far and you already mentioned one (Rude Awakening)...

The Thirteenth Reunion and The House That Bled to Death ...eps 2 & 5. And you've probably already caught the former.

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I'm not checking out the sequel I know that much
At least check out the reason 99% of people watch in the first place ...Ash ...err Bruce Campbell:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJAu-D2bmeE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kJAu-D2bmeE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by Chad; 10-12-08 at 11:21 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.